A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: p0lar_bear
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 14, 2009 05:17 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Hudduh hudduh hoshi-

Post Statistics
p0lar_bear has contributed to 37 posts out of 469496 total posts (.01%) in 4,720 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Scaffolding for one of my maps. Nov 14, 2009 05:17 AM (Total replies: 29)

Is it a scenery object or is it part of your level geometry?

If scenery, just make some LOD models for it.
Edited by p0lar_bear on Nov 14, 2009 at 05:18 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Dudes!!!!*READ* Nov 13, 2009 07:16 AM (Total replies: 21)

Just to warn you, if your goal is to make a custom single-player campaign, let alone a single map, you've got a lot of work ahead of you. Just take it one step at a time and don't expect to make anything of quality within a month, unless you've already studied 3D art and/or game design.

I'm not saying this to discourage you, it's quite the opposite; I tend to get discouraged when I back up and see just how big a project can get, so I figure a little warning'll help you down the right path and keep you going.

Just ease your way into CE modding; start with simple box maps, learn how to work 3dsmax/gmax. Make some simple modifications to stock tags (BACK YOUR STUFF UP BEFORE YOU DO) to learn how tags work and are laid out.

And whatever you do, don't go releasing anything you make while experimenting! I've seen many good, polished, finished maps go ignored in lieu of maps with some sort of gimmick to them, so anything you release while still learning the basics will just go ignored.
Edited by p0lar_bear on Nov 13, 2009 at 07:28 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Decisions, Decisions... Nov 13, 2009 07:10 AM (Total replies: 36)

It should give a fairly accurate representation on where bullets are going to land, how the gun acts, and what its purpose is. Think of the assault rifle's reticle: when fired in bursts, all shots land inside the reticle, and being a fully automatic weapon, the little lines on the outside of the circle suggest that continuous automatic fire will result in shots landing outside of the reticle. Sniper shots always land in the circle (when zoomed), and the dot suggests that it's a precision weapon.

What you should do is once the weapon's settings are set in stone, turn off the hud, stand back from a wall some, and fire a bunch of shots at the wall, clicking with each shot at a somewhat slow pace. Make sure you're zoomed into the highest level when doing this, if your weapon has zoom and/or functions as a sniper rifle.

Draw your reticle around the bullet holes to give the idea of where the bullets are going, then build on it a little, adding those little markings that work with the weapon's function.

I'm saying all this because I don't know how your gun works. :P

And all that said, I like the second one, anyway.

Halo CE General Discussion » Is there any HDR mod for halo? Oct 31, 2009 06:02 AM (Total replies: 9)

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16647

Open Sauce Post Processing extension for Halo CE, gives the game something like bloom and motion blur.

Just follow the directions in the first post, and if needed, read the thread for troubleshooting tips.

Keep in mind that true HDR and bloom isn't possible due to the fact that Halo's rendering engine is outdated as all hell and closed-source.

Halo CE General Discussion » Biped Damage Problem Oct 28, 2009 11:27 PM (Total replies: 8)

Pop open characters\cyborg\cyborg.model_collision_geometry and compare it to your biped's collision tag carefully; there could be one thing you missed (if you already did this).

Halo CE General Discussion » Any hot girls here that are into mapping? Oct 28, 2009 11:22 PM (Total replies: 147)

Kees. You're looking for females in the Halo Custom Edition community. Think about that for a second.

Lol @ the rest of the thread.

Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5
It's ok to be totally sexist towards lesbians and gays, but not to women?

I do believe the correct term for that is "homophobia." :eng101:

Halo CE General Discussion » Exception Oct 28, 2009 11:19 PM (Total replies: 13)

What gametype are you running it in? If you didn't put down spawn points for specific gametypes, the map will fail when run in anything besides Slayer.

Halo CE General Discussion » wat does this mean Oct 27, 2009 01:50 AM (Total replies: 6)

When dealing with any sort of compiler errors (be it for a Halo map or a computer program), typically you want to start with the first error and work your way down; if one thing breaks it often causes a bunch of other stuff to break, so start at the root of the problem.

10.26.09 20:11:53 sapien pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
10.26.09 20:11:53 reference function: _write_to_error_file
10.26.09 20:11:53 reference address: 401b13
10.26.09 20:11:53 Couldn't read map file './sapienbeta.map'
10.26.09 20:11:53 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
10.26.09 20:11:54 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
10.26.09 20:11:54 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes

10.26.09 20:12:08 file_read('tags\characters\cyborg\bitmaps\cyborg reflection armor.bitmap') error 0x00000026 'Reached the end of the file. '
10.26.09 20:12:08 couldn't read #108 bytes from offset #64 in local tag 'tags\characters\cyborg\bitmaps\cyborg reflection armor.bitmap'
10.26.09 20:12:08 couldn't read elements for bitmap block
10.26.09 20:12:08 failed to load bitmap tag 'characters\cyborg\bitmaps\cyborg reflection armor'
10.26.09 20:12:08 failed to load shader_model tag 'characters\cyborg\shaders\armor'
10.26.09 20:12:08 failed to load gbxmodel tag 'characters\cyborg\cyborg'
10.26.09 20:12:11 failed to load biped tag 'characters\cyborg_mp\cyborg_mp'

10.26.09 20:12:14 file_read('tags\weapons\ball\bitmaps\gameball_l00 detail.bitmap') error 0x00000026 'Reached the end of the file. '
10.26.09 20:12:14 couldn't read #108 bytes from offset #64 in local tag 'tags\weapons\ball\bitmaps\gameball_l00 detail.bitmap'
10.26.09 20:12:14 couldn't read elements for bitmap block
10.26.09 20:12:14 failed to load bitmap tag 'weapons\ball\bitmaps\gameball_l00 detail'
10.26.09 20:12:14 failed to load shader_model tag 'weapons\ball\shaders\bone'
10.26.09 20:12:14 failed to load gbxmodel tag 'weapons\ball\ball'

10.26.09 20:12:14 file_read('tags\weapons\ball\bitmaps\gameball_l00 detail.bitmap') error 0x00000026 'Reached the end of the file. '
10.26.09 20:12:14 couldn't read #108 bytes from offset #64 in local tag 'tags\weapons\ball\bitmaps\gameball_l00 detail.bitmap'
10.26.09 20:12:14 couldn't read elements for bitmap block
10.26.09 20:12:14 failed to load bitmap tag 'weapons\ball\bitmaps\gameball_l00 detail'
10.26.09 20:12:14 failed to load shader_model tag 'weapons\ball\shaders\bone'
10.26.09 20:12:14 failed to load gbxmodel tag 'weapons\ball\fp\fp'
10.26.09 20:12:14 failed to load weapon tag 'weapons\ball\ball'

10.26.09 20:12:15 file_read('tags\characters\cyborg\bitmaps\cyborg reflection armor.bitmap') error 0x00000026 'Reached the end of the file. '
10.26.09 20:12:15 couldn't read #108 bytes from offset #64 in local tag 'tags\characters\cyborg\bitmaps\cyborg reflection armor.bitmap'
10.26.09 20:12:15 couldn't read elements for bitmap block
10.26.09 20:12:16 failed to load bitmap tag 'characters\cyborg\bitmaps\cyborg reflection armor'
10.26.09 20:12:16 failed to load shader_model tag 'cmt\characters\cmt_fp\shaders\fp_arms_cmt'
10.26.09 20:12:16 failed to load gbxmodel tag 'cmt\characters\cyborg\fp\fp'
10.26.09 20:12:16 the meter definition ui\hud\cyborg shield does not specify a stencil bitmap group.
10.26.09 20:12:16 the meter definition ui\hud\cyborg body does not specify a stencil bitmap group.
10.26.09 20:12:16 failed to load globals tag 'globals\globals'
10.26.09 20:12:16 couldn't load game globals (get new tags)
10.26.09 20:12:16 need to get the following tags:
10.26.09 20:12:16 .bitmap
10.26.09 20:12:16 .bitmap
10.26.09 20:12:16
10.26.09 20:12:16 game_load() failed.

I didn't pick those errors at random. See how after each one, it causes a bunch of tags to not load? This is what you're looking for in this case.

So you've got a few bitmap tags that are causing some other tags to fail, so where does the problem lie? With the bitmaps listed there. Looks like those bitmaps got screwed up somehow.

Halo CE General Discussion » Music on Biohalo Oct 26, 2009 08:38 PM (Total replies: 6)

Wow, surprised people are still playing that.

The opening track is an orchestrated version of A Secure Place (save room theme) off of the Resident Evil 2 soundtrack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtC-w3RsKQk (The part I used starts at about 2:10)

The ending track is Session by Linkin Park, off their Meteora album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeu-zpcwdaM

Map ain't protected, if you want the sound and the sound_looping tags, go right ahead.
Edited by p0lar_bear on Oct 26, 2009 at 08:40 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halomaps on facebook Oct 23, 2009 02:41 AM (Total replies: 89)

I'd really appreciate it if people would stop it with the Halomaps vs. Modacity WHICH IS BETTER war bullcrap. I'm sick of the dramafests that spawn from it, at least when I'm at Modacity I can clean it up and tell people to cut the crap.

Quote: --- Original message by: English Mobster

Honestly, most of the people there are nice people; just don't act like an idiot and you'll be fine.
P0lar_bear is probably the harshest admin you'll come across there (SnaFuBAR is probably the harshest and most unforgiving mod), but he (and Snaf) really is a nice guy, he just has to enforce the rules.
Harshest? Puh-lease, I'm a huge softie. I'm more than willing to give people the benefit of the doubt or a second chance to people much to the chagrin of the rest of the staff. However, I'm the most active admin, and thus I'm often making the disciplinary decisions the most out of us three.

The culture gap between Modacity and Forum.Halomaps is simply overall maturity. I'm not saying we're 100% serious business, obviously that would be a lie. We prefer our members to conduct themselves in a certain manner, where the posts are somewhat thought out and written in at least 7th grade-level English. If you're going to act out, at least be funny or 100% true while doing it. If you're going to meme, do it right.

Most of us have been with the Halo modding community since the beginning (not me, I came in late), and actually grew up out of our retarded teenage selves with it (though I did that). We wanted a community where, after putting up with so many posts that were flat-out retarded and spelled as if the author had a seizure writing it, we wouldn't have to deal with it anymore.

So yeah, we're a bit elitist. Deal with it. Though we're not perfect. If you want to learn how to take modding to the next level, past simple mods, and learn how to make things and make them right, give us a try, but please, lurk for a while before you do so you know who's who and how things work.

If you don't think you'd fit in at all or get along with people, then don't join us, but please, be courteous and don't run around saying that we're horrible people because you disagree with us.

And if you have been there before, and have been banned or shunned or whatever for it, and don't want to let it go, then by all means, please...

...cry some more.
Edited by p0lar_bear on Oct 23, 2009 at 02:49 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Let me try again:

Once you place your Halo map into the public it is no longer yours to control. If you create a way to protect your map from extraction and someone creates a program that gets by that there is nothing you can do. This was the situation with the HEK+ program and everyone knows (and this is sarcasm) how the HEK+ program hurt the community: NOT!

In this case possession is 100%. You control it as long as you donít place it in the public. Once in public you canít control it. The rest is just hyperbole and childish selfishness.
Ooh, ooh, let me be the one person who gets it!

People, the key word here is "foresight." By giving your map to someone, your map is at the other person's mercy. Never forget that. The only way to make sure 100% that things you don't want to be released stay unreleased is to let the files rot on your hard drive, and not tell a soul about what you're working on. Everything else is simply preventive measures, which can be overstepped.

The case is this: if you make something and release it, be it a private beta or a final release, don't cry about it if someone "takes" "your" content and reuses it in a way you don't want it to be used.

Also, fun fact: any and all tags created ever in the history of Custom Edition belong to Bungie. That's right; by putting your content into their engine, you are essentially forfeiting your content and/or IPs to Bungie.

Halo CE General Discussion » facepalm.jpg - "Custom" Chat Console Jan 25, 2008 09:28 PM (Total replies: 45)

Quote: --- Original message by: RougeSpartan414
Um, this thread is about what?

Pointing and laughing at how pathetic of an attempt of credit theft this was, duh.

The readme says it was made by illegalcheatsman for [HMT] Donut, who then uploaded it. For the sake of anti-drama, I really don't care who exactly did this, I'm just lolling at the crappy job that was done to make it look like Conscars wasn't the real author.
Edited by p0lar_bear on Jan 25, 2008 at 09:36 PM
Edited by p0lar_bear on Jan 25, 2008 at 09:38 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » YoyoV2 : Little Work in Progress + 2 pics Jan 25, 2008 05:40 AM (Total replies: 262)

Wow guys, way to crap up Yoyo's thread.

In an attempt to get this thing back on topic:

Can't wait for this, it's looking better and better every time. That little panic room will definitely add a new dimension of gameplay.

Halo CE General Discussion » facepalm.jpg - "Custom" Chat Console Jan 25, 2008 04:08 AM (Total replies: 45)

You know, it takes a special kind of stupid to steal someone else's work, rebrand it with their own name(s), not take any steps to make it look like it wasn't stolen, then break it, and release.

I'm talking about http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3373.

I took a look at it, and all it is is http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3301, only with the actual chat parameters missing so the message "Custom chat console enabled by Conscars" doesn't appear at the top. That also results in the chat text not even looking right.

Haev sum pix:

The Real Deal:

gyez i cna steel wrk n say itz MINE im kool rite:

No, it's not the map causing it, yes, I installed both versions correctly.

I know Dennis has stated in the past that content on this site won't go down without a court order, but I'd think stolen, broken content that has been submitted to the site that hosts the original, unbroken version is a little redundant.

Again, I say, facepalm.jpg.

EDIT: By the way, would it be at all possible to get my first screenshot put as the shot for http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3301?
Edited by p0lar_bear on Jan 25, 2008 at 04:42 AM

Time: Sun December 8, 2019 2:45 AM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website