A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Mr Gruntsworthy
About Contact
Last Post: Oct 31, 2013 04:36 PM
Interests: Biking, Airsoft, Magic: The Gathering
Your Age: 24
What Games do you play: Halo, Metal Gear Solid, Soul Calibur
*skweak*
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Mr Gruntsworthy has contributed to 295 posts out of 469391 total posts (.06%) in 4,670 days (.06 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Having not heard anything about Open Sauce before you posted it, I did a bit of reading. So, Open Sauce is sort of an add-on extension to Halo CE? I'm not entirely able to find a good description of how it works on their site or Halopedia.

After a few years' absence and a proper education under my belt, I'm returning to the Halo: CE engine to try my hand at making a map in it again.

My main experience comes from UDK and, to a lesser extent, Unity; I want to challenge myself with the unique, archaic limitations of the Halo CE engine and see if I can produce something portfolio-worthy.

I've already read over the HEK document listing the expected tri count and all that; but I was wondering about a few other things not listed, unless I missed them:

What is the max supported texture size, versus recommended texture size? (We'll use a spartan-sized prop as a frame of reference.)

What channels does CE support? I know it has bump maps (but no Normal maps); but what about specular?

-------------
My Online Portfolio
Edited by Mr Gruntsworthy on Oct 31, 2013 at 03:30 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Apr 2, 2008 07:56 PM (Total replies: 78)

really? no one else has had the exception problem; unless you're trying to play race, in which case it's because i never support race.

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 29, 2008 11:11 PM (Total replies: 78)

that's because i posted that message yesterday... i was on there for a bit, but no one joined... *tear*

if you do go on the server and im not, hit me up on xfire (gruntsworthy). I'm always logged in on xfire

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 28, 2008 04:27 PM (Total replies: 78)

what strength should the soft selection be at? when i did this map, i had it set at 1000...

anyways, don't let it's ugliness fool you. Go ahead and give the maps a try! i'll be on my server.

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 28, 2008 04:10 PM (Total replies: 78)

how do i make it 'less pointed?' by tesselating the faces i'm going to make hills out of?

i need to read a tut...

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 28, 2008 12:20 PM (Total replies: 78)

the beta version of the third map, Sandbagged, is up. Check back on the first post for more info. game n' review!

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Weather Mar 28, 2008 12:08 AM (Total replies: 7)

Okay, so i've got my island map. I've got my wicked hurricane .sky tag. I even downloaded kornman00's weather effects package...

but how do I add weather to my map? I want to make it all hurricane-y... what with the rain, wind, and (maybe) fog.

help is greatly appreciated; search didn't turn up anything except kornman's package

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 27, 2008 07:56 PM (Total replies: 78)

I think i'd probably have to do it with scripts then. So let me hear it.

and... i what; save it to a txt file in data\scripts, and compile with sapien, right?

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 27, 2008 06:14 PM (Total replies: 78)

A little update (also edited into original post): download links have been added for Halomaps. As well, the beta for my third map, 'Sandbagged,' is chugging along. If anybody has any custom vehicles or weapons I can use, let me know.

By the way; it's been a while since i've done it; but how to you get custom vehicles to spawn in games again? I remember it being done by script.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Weapons and Vehicles--much welcomed Mar 27, 2008 06:11 PM (Total replies: 3)

Seeing as (for some reason) the weapon and vehicle tags were cut short when the site updated, I haven't been able to find many (working) weapons and vehicles for maps.

So, does anyone here have any non-default (as in, not included with) Halo vehicles and/or weapons they'd like to share with me? I've browsed through almost the entire weapon tag selection and all three pages of the vehicles. Alot of them require files that I don't have (for instance, the wraith tags requiring the covenant drop ship particle system).

As well. I seem to forget; but what is the script for getting custom vehicles to spawn in the game again?

I guess i could do most of the simple buildings (the ones that aren't accessible and are relatively simple in geometry) by extruding faces to look like simple rectangular shacks and just texture them from there.

Well, this is what betas are for :p

I'm making a map that will have many buildings and shacks. Now, it'll be easier for me to add the few types of buildings as scenery items rather than geometry (because I need multiple instances of them). Apparently however this causes lag, or something? They are stationary buildings, and i'm estimating a total of 30 buildings of 4 different types.

So, do the pros outweigh the cons as to making these scenery items rather than part of the map geometry?

Pros/Cons much appreciated.

well the maps are only in their beta stage, but so far no one seems to have any issues with them other than uv's and weapon placement.

Hey, picard, I dont mean to look like a potential thread hijacker, or to advert my maps incessantly; but (and only if you're interested) do you think you could chuck on a map or two of my own creation? I could use the publicity, and I feel that these maps are the best I've made to date. They've yet to appear on halomaps (as I've only recently uploaded them) but i've got temporary links for rapidshare downloads (which will update as the maps appear on halomaps).

here is the link to the maps:

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=16227

I feel that this will help me get some more crit for my maps, and help solidify what I need to change for their final versions. I have my own server running but nobody plays on it. :/

P.S. I'm going to first check that I have all the maps for your server, then I'm going to try it out.

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 24, 2008 05:00 PM (Total replies: 78)

bsp errors? I had no geometrical problems while making the map. What are you referring to on that front?

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 24, 2008 04:28 PM (Total replies: 78)

i forgot to start it before i headed off to work today, my apologies. It's up and running right now.

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 24, 2008 08:38 AM (Total replies: 78)

I've begun work on the third map. This one is definitely BTB sized.

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 23, 2008 07:27 PM (Total replies: 78)

actually, the name was inspired by all the 'tacular' suffixes in the Halo games... killtacular, blasttacular, maptacular, sucktacular, etc

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunttacular Map Pack beta test thread Mar 23, 2008 07:04 PM (Total replies: 78)

what exactly is 'chamfering', and how do I do it?

Time: Tue October 22, 2019 11:20 AM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website