A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: MF Boom
About Contact
Last Post: Dec 3, 2010 03:36 PM
Interests: Music, games, computers, technology, the like.
Your Age: 19
What Games do you play: Halo Reach, COD: Black Ops, Left 4 Dead, World of Warcraft, Perfect World, etc.
I am the bone of my sword...

Post Statistics
MF Boom has contributed to 912 posts out of 469346 total posts (.19%) in 4,585 days (.20 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Some Maps Work, Others dont Dec 3, 2010 03:36 PM (Total replies: 5)

Fun fact, if you've downloaded corrupt tags, your default maps may not load in Sapien properly.

Try opening each map's scenario with only the default tags included (of course, still ripping the scenario and BSP from the maps), without downloading any custom tags. If it opens, you have a corrupt tag downloaded.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 29, 2010 11:35 PM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: ASP_GRUNTS
You're denying yourself as being a loser when flat out told that you are. Typical loser-like behavior C=

And you're the one being immature and constantly insulting me. Yeah. I suggest you drop the subject and get back on topic.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 29, 2010 08:43 PM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Shaders can be mirrors. There's a checkbox at the bottom of the tag.

Awesome. I'm going to have to put a couple mirrors in my map then. 8D

Then I assume you know "Idc how much you type to try and defend yourself =P" means that all of your posts in response to that were a waste?

I'm sorry, what? I wasn't really paying attention to anything you said. I kind of stopped caring. :3c

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 29, 2010 06:45 PM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
Quote: --- Original message by: MF Boom
I like poodles.

I don't. I prefer mythical creatures capable of using magic.

You know, like, a liger?

Hey, you got any chapstick?

Nope. And no, I will not share my tots either. My tots. ;~;

I suggest you reread my message, lol...

Nope. I'm good. One time was more than enough.

On-topic: Speaking of shiny, are in-game mirrors possible with actual reflective surfaces? Or would that be way too complex for the Halo engine to handle? o.o

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 29, 2010 02:56 AM (Total replies: 41)

I like poodles.

I don't. I prefer mythical creatures capable of using magic.

You know, like, a liger?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 28, 2010 11:05 PM (Total replies: 41)

In most cases, it does, so it's safe to say that you aren't any different. Idc how much you type to try and defend yourself =P

Do not group in the many with the few. Generalization is a form of assumption, and assumption is one of man's greatest enemies.

I know more people that I've met from WoW than I have from here, or even from school, who have ended up being people I could trust with my life. Ironically, 90% of them don't play WoW anymore, much like myself.
Edited by MF Boom on Nov 28, 2010 at 11:06 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Quote: --- Original message by: IcePhoenix
The double speed powerup basically slows down everything else except you. Ofc it won't work in multiplayer, and wtf is a "Stalker" ability?

Stalker is Active Camo with Radar Jammer, I think.

So is there not a way to make the double-speed powerup literally double your speed, rather than slowing everyone else down?

Nope. Double-speed wouldn't sync as far as I know. I've tried to figure out a way to do it outside of changing crouch speeds and animations, but as a powerup, it wouldn't work. I mostly gave up on this idea after realizing that as old a game as it is, despite the fact you can still do a lot with it, it does indeed have it's limits, and I can only stretch them so much.

And, Stalker is a collection of things. Active camoflauge (which is limited to that, when moving, you're more visible [poor camo], but if you're standing still, you're completely invisible [good camo]), radar jammer (affects -everybody- in the map, allied or enemy, including yourself), and a complete mute of all sounds around you (which only applies to you).

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 27, 2010 03:38 PM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
Ok, I'll be straight up with you then. I'm implying that you need a life, lol.
Won't be able to respond, in New York.

Waiting for Donut to give his speech on "getting a life"
Edited by Maniac1000 on Nov 25, 2010 at 03:17 PM

Everyone gets a life, it's figuring out what to do with it that causes so much consternation.

I have a life. >.> I may not have a job, however, but I do indeed have a life, and am working towards being able to afford college. Just because someone plays WoW doesn't mean they don't have a life. *Facepalm.*

And, Slappy, you know more about Halo than I do. I don't know anything about how to make shaders look even remotely good. I kind of just accept things as mediocre and focus more on the model detail than the tags. I'm too lazy to be a perfectionist in Halo.

Quote: --- Original message by: cyboryxmen
Never spend your life for riches and properties. They will not accompany you in the afterlife. Instead, try to leave something behind for people to remember you by. That is when you will gain true Immortality.

This, in the F/sN world, is how one becomes a "Heroic Spirit". However, in the modern era, things that would achieve greatness for an individual happen on a daily basis, and standing out from the crowd is nearly impossible. When one would perform acts that previously made them viewed as a hero on the warfield, these days it's often seen that the gun or utility they used is the heroic item, not the person as a heroic spirit. "Geniuses" come so often in academics that no single entity stands out, but a school or organization as a whole. Even a typical President is usually by no means a "hero".

And, in retrospect, the exact words you said, that I quoted, sound like the exact phrase Gilgamesh said. I'm not sure if it is or not, but if so, kudos for the epic reference.

But, rather than trying to accomplish greatness or achieve "immortality", simply focus on achieving happiness with your life and leave behind no regrets, but memories and stories for your newer generations to tell their newer generations.
Edited by MF Boom on Nov 27, 2010 at 03:45 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: HaloIsAHorribleGane
armor lock has already been done. seems like it'd be the toughest to do.. then again, I don't know anything about scripting.

Nah. Technically, as an "ability", Jetpack would be the hardest. As a vehicle, it's not a problem. It's been made as a vehicle looong before Reach. But I don't think it's possible to make that into an ability. Also, it would take a lot of animation work, all custom I'm sure, to pull off "Evade". I'm pretty sure "Sprint" wouldn't sync properly (which is why the half-assed "double speed" powerup in Halo never came to fruition). And finally, the "Stalker" function has too much involved for it to work right in CE.

Some of them can be done with alternative methods, but none of them will function as armor abilities like they did in Reach. The engine's pretty good for how old of a game it is, but asking it to do something outside it's capabilities code-wise is silly.

Of course, I'm always welcome to be proven wrong.
Edited by MF Boom on Nov 25, 2010 at 10:16 AM

11.25.10 04:48:06 characters\elite\shaders\shield plasma.shader_transparent_plasma

That's the only tag you need to get this working again. So, I would recommend opening any Bungie map with HEK+, finding this tag, and extracting it.
Hopefully it'll work.

Couldn't find it, but I think I found the problem. I had compressed the tags folder into a .rar file just in case, so I deleted all my tags and returned the defaults to their original condition, and tried to load Hang 'em High, and it worked just fine. Apparently one of the tags I had downloaded was corrupt somehow. I just don't know which one, or if it was significant to me or not.

I apologize for making a new topic when I have one still on the main page, but you can't double-post and editing my post wouldn't get it any attention since it's not going to make it "new" or anything... But I've run into an issue I'm slightly confused by. Nothing major, so it's easy to answer. Just, having returned to Halo only days ago and trying to remember everything as I go along, this one makes no sense to me.

So, I wanted to test out a couple quick tag modifications to see what I remembered, and extracted the scenario for Hang 'em High since it's one of the best maps in my opinion to test out weapon tag modifications, only for Sapien to close instantly when I loaded the scenario. I checked debug.txt, which I'm proud of myself for remembering after 2 years of not messing with HEK, and here's what it said:

11.25.10 04:48:03  sapien pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
11.25.10 04:48:03 reference function: _write_to_error_file
11.25.10 04:48:03 reference address: 401b13
11.25.10 04:48:03 Couldn't read map file './sapienbeta.map'
11.25.10 04:48:03 *found 2 adapters...
11.25.10 04:48:03 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
11.25.10 04:48:05 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
11.25.10 04:48:05 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes
11.25.10 04:48:06 file_open('tags\characters\elite\shaders\shield plasma.shader_transparent_plasma') error 0x00000003 'The system cannot find the path specified. '
11.25.10 04:48:06 couldn't open shader_transparent_plasma tag 'shield plasma.shader_transparent_plasma'.
11.25.10 04:48:06 failed to load equipment tag 'weapons\plasma grenade\plasma grenade'
11.25.10 04:48:06 failed to load item_collection tag 'item collections\single weapons\plasma grenades'
11.25.10 04:48:06 file_open('tags\characters\elite\shaders\shield plasma.shader_transparent_plasma') error 0x00000003 'The system cannot find the path specified. '
11.25.10 04:48:06 couldn't open shader_transparent_plasma tag 'shield plasma.shader_transparent_plasma'.
11.25.10 04:48:06 failed to load equipment tag 'weapons\plasma grenade\plasma grenade'
11.25.10 04:48:06 failed to load item_collection tag 'item collections\single weapons\plasma grenades'
11.25.10 04:48:06 failed to load scenario tag 'levels\test\hangemhigh\hangemhigh'
11.25.10 04:48:06 need to get the following tags:
11.25.10 04:48:06 characters\elite\shaders\shield plasma.shader_transparent_plasma
11.25.10 04:48:06
11.25.10 04:48:06 game_load() failed.

Now... ... why do I need a shader for an Elite to load Hang 'em High again? Because it seems like Sapien put on it's trollface.jpg suddenly. I never remembered needing that, and I thought HEK included all default tags. Where in the world do I get that tag if I don't already have it (which I don't, obviously)?

Also, ignore the silly topic subject. I have my moments.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 25, 2010 05:02 AM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mythril
Perfect World? D;
I tried that MMO for a week or so, then gave up. I loved the concept of a huge, single world map, which went on forever, but after swimming the whole way to the bottom of the map, then realising that I could've just teleported there...
>:(

OT: Although shiny is good, there is such thing as TOO shiny, in which it just hurts your eyes and is overly distracting.

It's actually pretty good. But yeah, the huge issue is the teleportation thing. It's so useful, but if you rely on it, you end up spending a lot of money unless you constantly farm materials or drops to sell and remake money. Not to mention that after level 19, you have so many quests that require traveling good distances, and unless you're the Winged Elves, you can't fly until level 30. God, I remember spending forever getting my Barbarian to 30, and then I ended up making a new character anyway, who I got mere levels away from 30. ... then the new expansion came out, and I tried it, made one of the new classes, and now it's past 30, only to quit for a while and hear "Hey guys, guess what? ANOTHER NEW EXPANSION!" /facepalm.jpg

And, yeeeah. I agree. I would like to see the graphics potentially look higher quality and a little more reflective and detailed, but there are some instances that's overkill. There are a couple CMT maps and even Yoyorast v2 when run with your settings maxed out that even strain a high end single-core processor. I like stretching the limits with Halo, but it's also not meant to do much more than it was built to. I definitely want custom content to look good and clean, unlike some maps (the cars in the Mute City remake, which sure, they're meant to look like F-Zero copies, but they still look pretty ugly), but they don't have to go so far to try to replicate even Halo 3, much less Crysis.

Halo CE General Discussion » Where are all the people? Nov 25, 2010 04:54 AM (Total replies: 42)

No one significant. Just an old map maker who never finished a single project 100%, but has been around since '07. I've asked numerous questions on the forum before though. Never knew how to make breakable glass (and still don't, sadly), constantly ran into open edges problems (which I know how to fix now), etc... I was mostly active in '07 though. I contributed a lot to help others out with anything I knew, but disappeared in early '08 and never really came back but for a few days until now.

Used to be somewhat big on the game though because I could hold my own against pretty much every player from any clan, including Ganon (who I forgot used to be on the forums as well). Name in-game used to be m. *Facepalm.* Hence my name here.

Only people I knew really well at all were Halo Guru, kirby_422, and teh_ganon. Only because I played Halo with each of them and tested stuff for them, and they helped me to learn stuff as well. I also remember testing a project for someone else, which was a single player map of some sort with some pretty advanced AI... I just can't, for the life of me, remember who it was... Oh well.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 25, 2010 02:08 AM (Total replies: 41)

You should go outside.

If you're implying I should leave the house occasionally, I do. Usually more than once a day, and I don't even work yet. But if you're implying I should go outside to play, then please allow me to laugh at your rather hilarious suggestion.

@MF boom
You are right. I never played WoW in my life. I have played other free MMOs and never got into them for more than a month except Wonderland which let's me make a house and other stuff out of raw materials but I quit because finding those materials gets more and more repetitive overtime and for some other personal reasons.

The only MMORPG I enjoy and will play for a long time is Earth Eternal. I also quit playing that game...when i found out that they were going to be bankrupt.
Edited by cyboryxmen on Nov 25, 2010 at 12:53 AM

Nah. I understand bro'. I used to bash on WoW constantly before I played it. It takes a lot to get into, not to mention it really is a leech. Both on your money and your life. I played on a private server, but it was blizzlike so it took forever to get to 80 still. But I had fun with it with the friends I played. I've also played Perfect World for about 3 years, and am now a beta tester for their new game Forsaken World. Also beta-tested FFXIII, and was signed up to beta The Old Republic but never got to unfortunately.

Each person has their own game preference. I'll admit that MMO's can be leeches, but if you only spend a little while playing one that isn't so ridiculously complex, it can be pretty fun. I think RTS and RPG games can have amazing plots though, while most FPS games really don't get that deep. But, hell. I like literally every kind of game. RPG, shooters, RTS or turn-based strategy (Civilization-style), sports, racing, fighting, platform, arcade, puzzle, action-adventure, etcetera. I'll play anything before I bash it. I bash Black Ops all the time even if it's a great game just because it's CoD. >.> Anyways... back on-topic I shall go now.

Whenever you get the textures to look shiny and such -- if you do, that is -- be sure to post a render/screenshot of your results on here. I'd love to see it. Anyone who can stretch the limits of this game is awesome imho. :3c

Halo CE General Discussion » Any one want to play CMT-MPG3 maps? Nov 24, 2010 05:57 PM (Total replies: 118)

Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
Est time is around 6:13 right now, compare it with ur time.

I live in Atlanta, and you posted that at 5:13. EDT would have been 6:13, but we fell back an hour early this month because Daylight Saving Time ended. It's mere minutes from being 6 PM here in EST currently.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 24, 2010 05:37 PM (Total replies: 41)

yoU kidding, Borderlands rocks to the core.

Blizzard...Blizzard... oh wait, WoW.

I am not fond of games like that. The cut-scenes are cool and MMOs always have back stories to them but there are some with cheap and predictable ones like Fiesta. Besides, I want to do the killing myself and not let some passive skill do my work.

I don't mean to sound rude, but you obviously haven't played WoW. Or if you have, you played it for 10 minutes then quit. Passive skills accomplish nothing. There's an unbelievable amount of strategy and technique going into PvP matches, especially in battlegrounds, that if you tried to just sit around and use passives, you'd get killed in mere seconds. I played WoW for about 3 years straight (wasn't an addict, just had nothing else to do, so I chose to play WoW) and still got killed by a lot of people regardless of knowing what I was doing.

I enjoy some FPS games, but... They're just as simple imo. You point a gun at someone's head, you shoot. In Halo, I pretty much 3SK kids and snipe them out of ghosts and warthogs left and right without much effort. Only one out of every 30 guys on CE pops up who manages to actually out shoot me these days. I find it remarkably boring when I have a 5.0 k/D ratio or higher. I've played Gears of War several times too, but I found it still remarkably easy and rarely died unless I'm taking on the Horde with friends. I die more to AI than I do to players. I like MMO's because there's much more involved in them and they're actually quite enjoyable games. I only play a couple, but WoW was good if you like the Warcraft plot. I played the actual Warcraft RTS games before WoW though, so that helped for my enjoyment. Knowing the KotOR storyline and watching the Star Wars movies, "The Old Republic" looks like the MMO I'll enjoy most.

Probably the only FPS game I can never get bored of is Left 4 Dead. And that's honestly only because with a few friends, it's fun to go through the levels over and over with the weapon placement, zombie selection, and etcetera all changing each time you play through the same map alone. And if you get bored of campaign, hop into Versus and it's still remarkably fun because, go figure, humans are better than AI (even on Expert) at playing Infected. Completely opposite of most FPS games where the AI are actually better than most humans.

oh god I'm not a weeaboo I'd kill myself before I started liking anime

granted... some of it's watchable, but if I see one more teenage schoolgirl relationship crisis anime I'll crap my pants.

halo 2 and 3 should have been compressed into one game with levels like the halo 2 e3 2003 trailer with lots of different stuff happening at once, rather than long, drawn out boring levels. the events of the e3 2003 trailer took two whole freaking levels to get through. it would have been much better if they had just compressed the story

Nah, I was joking anyways. I mean, my tagline under my avatar is from a Japanese visual novel which was adapted into an anime. I'd be a hypocrite if I was insulting you seriously.

And yeah. Halo 2 had a rushed release. Even they admitted the campaign was cliffhanger'd, and not to mention I thought switching back and forth between Master Chief and The Arbiter in the campaign was pretty retarded. They tried so hard to make a good game and keep it fresh every time, but ended up making it so much worse. I love Halo 1 simply because it was revolutionary for it's time and was one of the best first person shooters to have come out. It saved the Xbox from it's otherwise inevitable destruction (ala the Dreamcast). But after that, it just started becoming a multiplayer-only game. Halo 3 had a little bit of a campaign in the beginning, but it started going downhill fast, and eventually was only worth the multiplayer, which the initial maps that released with Halo (pre- map pack releases) weren't that good really, with the exception of maybe The Pit. Didn't like most of the rest... Halo: Reach still has some pretty ugly maps too though. Boardwalk and Spire were both hideous or slayer matches, especially the latter.

Really, rather than another after another Halo game... I'm honestly looking forward to Portal 2, F.E.A.R. 3, hoping for a Half-Life 3, and wondering how good Duke Nukem Forever is going to be. I'm bored of Halo outside of the PC for the custom edition community. It has no appeal on Xbox to me anymore.

that sounds way too "kawaii" for my tastes

Oh dear. I didn't know you were a weeaboo.

also, tl;dr most of your posts, but what I did skim through, gotta agree. Admittedly, I've played Halo since the first game, and I do definitely think Reach was so far better than Halo 3. But I've played Black Ops, and it's pretty good. I thought MW2 was hideous though. I got sick of the Marathon + Lightweight + Commando Pro + Tactical Knife bull(you know what word goes here) very fast. But, I spend the least of my time playing Halo. I'll play it on PC here only because it's a classic, but I spend more time watching TV shows like The Office or Parks & Recreation, or even playing various RPG or RTS games. Actually, I think I spend more time playing Sid Meier's Civilization V than any other game on PC.

Halo started out great. The campaign of the first game is hands down the best one they made. Halo 3's campaign was absolutely awful though. The last mission where you're driving away on a course of floating black platforms that are randomly exploding was completely stupid. Not only does it not physically make sense how these black platforms were floating erroneously all over the place, but they were spontaneously exploding without any sort of devices being planted on them, stuff dropping on them, nothing. They were just exploding. Sure, it was moderately fun. But they decided "Hey, we ended Halo 1 with an awesome warthog escape sequence, let's do it again, only make it far more complicated and original!". They obviously had no idea what else they could do. They'd already run out ideas in Halo 2. Halo Reach was the only thing that made up for the failures of Halo 2 and 3, by making it actually more original and unique, keeping it fresh, but still keeping the Halo feel to it as much as possible despite this. It wasn't a complete overhaul, but I enjoy it quite a bit.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pretty Pretty Shiny Shiny... Nov 24, 2010 06:41 AM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: eliteslasher
You willl never get nice looking bumps like that in CE though I can tell you. Why DIDN'T they allow bumps on anything but BSP in combat evolved anyway? Anyone know?

Because Microsoft own Halo

But seriously, Microsoft is really shifting to all out to their console,the ice-box...x-box. They may not be doing it on purpose but there are lots of x-box exclusive games out there. Can't they make them x-box AND windows 7 exclusive? We did give them lots of signs. At least upgrade the game engine or something. If unreal can make PC graphics that good, I do not see why Halo 3 did not make it to the PC.

Now the most reliable company for the PC is Steam, Valve and Gearbox. Gearbox itself is the one who worked with Microsoft to get halo to the PC and Microsoft never did develop the custom edition version-just Gearbox and bungie.
Edited by cyboryxmen on Nov 23, 2010 at 09:42 AM

>most reliable company for the PC is Steam, Valve and Gearbox
>Steam, Valve and Gearbox
>Steam, Valve

As far as I know, Steam = Valve. You could make the argument that Steam offers more than just Source games, but Steam was still made by Valve. And while Gearbox may have made a name for themselves with Borderlands, and being the sole creators of Halo: Custom Edition, as well as the main company that ported Halo itself to PC... I don't think they're one of the big names yet. I'd say it's closer to Valve, Epic Games, and Activision-Blizzard.

Quote: --- Original message by: Gamma927
Though I like your idea for implementing armor abilities, one issue is running the scripts for each player. It's one thing to write a script that checks the first player's weapon and activates an armor ability for him, but it's another to write a script that checks the weapons of all players while simultaneously activating armor abilities for each player. I'm not saying that this is impossible, but I foresee an index based script. The issue here is that I've been told that the index for each player is subject to change throughout a game, meaning that all index based scripts wouldn't work properly.

Though a Medical Bay could be possible (not sure if negative damage effects work), again, to ensure that only a single team would reap the benefits of such a room, you would need a team check script. However, these scripts are again based upon indexes, which I've said before, are subject to change.

The Armory, however, is not possible. You could do incremental ammo regen with the continuous spawning of ammo packs, though it could be utilized by the enemy team. Again, the team check script comes to doubt here.

Ah, true. I guess I didn't think about the fact the script wouldn't just check one player at a time, but have to actually recognize all the different functions and details of every single player running at once to perform the script. I guess that does make it a bit limited. Still possible, just much much more difficult. I suppose, in essence, it's far more simple to implement all these functions into a single-player map with AI. But I'm not any good with AI nor making a single-player map that would function well enough to be worth playing. So, the ideas were worth asking about to make sure, but if they're far too complex to actually implement properly without running into problems, it may not be worth it after all.

Time: Sun September 22, 2019 4:42 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website