A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: M6dEEp
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 7, 2011 09:15 PM
Interests: Photography,Programming,Cars, Guns
Your Age: 20
What Games do you play: Halo, Battlefield2, UT2K4, Max Payne 2, Homeworld2,Warhammer 40k DOW, STALKER
Pwnography

Post Statistics
M6dEEp has contributed to 572 posts out of 469698 total posts (.12%) in 4,691 days (.12 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Free 2 Play Movement! Nov 7, 2011 09:15 PM (Total replies: 120)

As true as that is, that hasn't stopped Fable III from being put up on the steam marketplace, and even though I don't have any sales data to prove otherwise I'd be willing to say that if they hadn't gone that route Fable III wouldn't have done as well on the PC platform.

I don't want to turn this into an E-commerce battle as that is a bit off base (and I don't want it to seem like I'm attacking you or Microsoft) but I don't think GFWL will stand up to what steam has to offer and in my opinion the whole PC section of their Live service is totally stagnant. Heck even the XNA community prefers steam over Microsoft's storefront. I just think they would stand to make more money (and gain valuable experience) by utilizing Steam's services.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Free 2 Play Movement! Nov 7, 2011 08:44 PM (Total replies: 120)

Honestly they should just bite the bullet and release it on Steam like everyone else is doing these days. If they do, it's a win/win for everyone...

No printing discs
Steam manages CD keys
Steam manages servers
Steam sales would promote the game so much that they would easily sell thousand of copies per sale event
TF2 addicts get masterchief hats

And then they could finally add in support for auto downloading maps when you join servers...

The list goes on and on, sometimes I believe that Microsoft enjoys losing money.

Halo CE General Discussion » most influential mappers Jun 7, 2011 10:25 PM (Total replies: 119)

Dsalimander, nuff said

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] May 31, 2011 03:15 PM (Total replies: 11485)

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
That looks pretty cool deep much better looking than the first... Although, it is still lacking some detail in a few areas, especially in a couple of those last pictures. Otherwise, nice! Nice to see some old people from my age still doing stuff.

Yeah not enough of us old dogs are around these days lol. I've moved on to DirectX programming and Unreal Development kit mostly nowadays, and I couldn't help but notice this thing chillin' on my hard drive along with a few other maps I promised to release back in the day (Water Chapel anyone?)

Quote: --- Original message by: Shade117 pro

The light on the last 3 images are too intense. Reduce the intensity of the light because that's pure white right there (Which is never good for lightmapping).

You telling me about lightmapping, lol

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] May 31, 2011 04:52 AM (Total replies: 11485)

I was thinking about coming back to the community after a long hiatus (2-3 years?) by making a sequel to Lobby Classic PB1.

Just a few teasers for now, map is portaled, UV'd, error free and ready to go. If I get enough positive feedback then I'll go about releasing. FYI I used mental ray for the renders.

Halo CE General Discussion » H3MT, CMT, Tazz, Jahrain- Zanzibar Halo 3 Mar 5, 2009 01:44 AM (Total replies: 211)

How many of you have taken a math course and in the book, before the assignment part with the problems, they have those examples for you to look at to better grasp the concepts that you would need to utilize to complete your work, and the examples aren't good enough to explain the more complicated problems you run into... What do you do? Ask your instructor? What if you aren't in a place to ask that/it's not convenient for you to do so? Well, if you look at the answer, and work the problem backwards it helps immensely, same thing goes for other things. This mostly applies if your self taught in my opinion though. If there were people who could teach me how to model with more effective techniques, or how to tag, then I wouldn't need tutorials or examples, would I? Yet I will admit, you did hit on some good points, and it's not really the question of making EVERYTHING open source, but making things that aren't common knowledge open source. It can be in any form as far as I'm concerned, whether it be tutorial or what have you.

I do realize though, just like our 16th president did, you can satisfy some of the people all of the time, or all of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time.

Halo CE General Discussion » H3MT, CMT, Tazz, Jahrain- Zanzibar Halo 3 Mar 5, 2009 12:24 AM (Total replies: 211)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Black and white augments never show the true color of an issue.

Example: The Halo CE Chronicles are a result of all ripped content.

If you want be a true purest about software derived content then program it using ones and zeros and don't use all those copies of other people's programs.

There is a severe lack of perspective on both sides of this issue. We are not talking about people's livelihoods or things that support families and jobs. We are talking about fan based objects that can not be sold or used for profit. We are talking about virtual objects that can not be copyrighted and are, by design of the original copyright holders, meant to be used/reused in the game. THE GAME.

My advice is to, either way, truly understand your motives for why you feel the way you do about it and then learn all the facts like you canít legally own the creation, then in your mind argue the other side of it. I suspect that you may not be as adamant afterward.

Makes sense to me, but the one thing you fail to realize, simply because you are on what i like to call a "different plane of understanding". What that means is, not that you can't understand, but don't because you aren't in the same shoes as we are. Yeah sure, we don't own the rights to anything we put in game, but we did create the objects. The people themselves who created the concepts of master chief, or modeled him or created the animations to make the man behind the visor we all know don't own him, but they created it. Just like them, we don't do this for fun, but use it as a tool to advance other areas like modeling or programming, animation whatever you can come think of, and every little thing is an achievement. For someone to take that away and call your time and effort his time and effort, is practically like taking apart of my life away. The only difference is that instead of getting respect and all the things that people who do good things in this community get, they get money.

The biggest point you make though is how people don't view the other sides, which is why everyone is so ignorant and why the world as a whole, not just our little community in our little corner of the net.. is in disorder a lot of the time.

Halo CE General Discussion » H3MT, CMT, Tazz, Jahrain- Zanzibar Halo 3 Mar 4, 2009 11:36 PM (Total replies: 211)

I think that it's fairly obvious what he wants here, Masters hit on all the points that I wanted to make, especially one.. People really want to pull this sort of drivel because they want to be known. I mean yeah sure it feels nice to know that people know what you can do and that they know they're appreciated, but this isn't the way. I've seen quite a few people that want to be famous or want the glory like in the 'movies' as you said, but then they go about it like this and release others work and, sadly, in a fashion that makes them look like a tool.

As far as I'm concerned, Cellista can't really judge first rate tags from 'no rate' tags, as there are more good quality tags now than before (especially with sigma's tag set coming). I don't know guys, I mean I haven't been 'active' for the entire time I've been apart of this community, and I have seen a lot of stuff that's just like this. However, he has some points that make a lot of sense, that, if asked, I wouldn't be hesitant to point at all. Anyway I could talk about my views on stuff all night long, but it wouldn't be worth it, for the sheer quantity of ignorance and immaturity that's contained within this thread alone, let alone the entire community itself, is just overwhelming at times.

Quote: --- Original message by: Donut
if you are going to count HDoan then you missed a few

Most definitely agree with you on that...

Halo CE General Discussion » Cubemap/skies Testing. Jan 6, 2009 09:13 PM (Total replies: 86)

I pick Aurora, Dsalimander says aurora

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » for you max 6, 7, and 8 users out there Sep 29, 2008 04:08 PM (Total replies: 24)

did you actually BUY the book? If so does it have any cool software or anything with it too, like video tutorials or something.....

PS No i'm not dead yet :)

the spaces that are defined by an exact portal cannot be intersected by an "ordinary" portal's plane. Well it can but it'll cause graphical glitches. What he means (atleast i think) by "the edges cant intersect the bsp more than once" is that an edge cant go outside and back inside and out again,

Let's say the point is a hill, and the inverted point is a valley or depression in the landscape:

/\
/ \___ ______
\ /
\/

Now let's say that the "---" is the bottom edge of a plane used to portal:

/\
/ \___ ______
----------\---/-----------
\/

I think he means that the portals bottom, top side (or any edge) shouldn't do that..

Also, the portals should be on TWO (2) different ID's because there are two materials, +exactportal and +portal for exact portals and normal portals respectively. What he meant by "exactly on the vertices" is that you create faces over the door *thus sealing it* and then gives those new faces the exact portal material. You do this over any windows, other doors and any openings that the structure has, then it'll be given its own volume. Just make sure that your "ordinary" portal's planes dont run through a building thats exact portaled.

Hoped this helped

EDIT: spent like 15 minutes working on my darn pictures :|
Edited by M6dEEp on Mar 20, 2008 at 04:43 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: Rm860
I see both sides of the argument and i sort of agree with them both at times.

But i am just soo fricken sick of people talking about this. I mean come on there are plently of other things to talk about besides map protection. I see a topic on this exact thing on this forum so often it just makes me sick. I understand how people like to argue about it and talk about it but it really should not come up as often as it does.

People have reason why they believe what they believe but i am totally serious when i say that this topic should not come up nearly as often as it does here.

Yeah it's a dumb subject to fight over anyway, simply because the answer is cut and dry. It's like fighting over whether snow is hot or cold, map protection is fine, and getting around protection is fine, NOT GIVING CREDIT is wrong. TAKING PEOPLE'S WORK and passing it off as YOURS is wrong. Using it to learn, or to accent your map, is great. Plus, I don't see what the big deal is when people put your tags in crappy modifications of bloodgulch, who cares man?

its because, like i said earlier, ripping tags from maps of people who don't want their tags released is looked down upon, even though they have no say over what I can or cant do with them because they're not under their control anymore.

Quote: --- Original message by: Kiwi

"It is just the way it works"? You said yourself, if Kiwi recalls, that this was "the most immature bunch" you have seen. Your examples of what open sourcing can do is not quite as applicable as many are not as mature here as in other communities. Kiwi rarely saw anything resembling a BG mod (in terms of the idea) yet here, it seems to be the norm. Given such a community, would you really want to give them more things to throw into a map?

It wouldn't really matter anyway, there would still be the same amount of BS uploaded here as there always has. Who cares if there are BG mods being uploaded, you guys don't seem to get the point that you don't have to download them. As far as i see it, BG maps, box maps, pyramid maps, W/E.. there is one solution. Don't download it. That's why Dennis put a search function, rating system, and popular map box thing on the homepage people. Besides a lot of communities have their crappy mods that are common place.

Quote: --- Original message by: DA Pimp Pope
i wouldnt say it wrong i mean if its protected and you really want the tags then make a program called anti-hekplus which allows you to rip maps without a password concent. i mean jez come on people.

Thats true pope, but everyone sees unprotecting as wrong, even though its not. Its not against the law, or against the bible, or anything for that matter. It's against the unspoken code of the community i guess you could say.

The fact of the matter is whether or not ripping tags, unprotecting maps or whatever is morally wrong, I believe the biggest problem would be claiming things that aren't yours. Now I know that if some of us got our hands on some CMT tags for example, we would learn a helluva lot more then just jacking around with shader settings, or the like. The thing people fail to realize is that once you get it in game, and its in the public its not yours to say who can and cant have the source, its the community's.

People say that if CMT (I'm using them as an example, not picking on them or anything, but they're just the best example) were to release their tags, that halomaps would be flooded with BS. I don't know about you guys, but I most definitely see a lot of BS flooding this place without CMT's, ZTeam's or anyone else's help. Now I'm not saying map protection is bad, in fact I think its a great thing. Anything that lets me add some security to my beta maps, or final releases is great, but theres one thing that sets me apart i guess you could say. I happily give the source away to people who I think are gonna do good with it, and learn a thing or two.

*BEWARE: this is a little... idealistic i guess..*

I don't see this sudden influx of crap maps as a bad thing, quite the contrary. I see it as a chance to show all these new people how to make maps with the best of them, and to enjoy doing it. I think the best way to learn in this line of work is by example, but people who expect others people to do everything for them need to be given a reality check if anything.

If you learn anything hopefully it's the fact that protecting maps is like holding back knowledge. If you know anything, hopefully it's that knowledge is power. Then again there are those *******s who are in this for fame, and not for fun or making a better game experience.

Halo CE General Discussion » W.I.P Halo 3 Spiker Jan 22, 2008 11:05 PM (Total replies: 93)

smoothing isnt too good, and a bit too long, haven't looked at the vid yet. overall its nicer than many ive seen, plus its not too fat either *inside joke to you know who*

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 CE mods general discussion thread Jan 20, 2008 05:38 PM (Total replies: 521)

the same guy who made the fortress of solitude map?

Halo CE General Discussion » Currently Seeking Texture Artists. Jan 15, 2008 12:48 AM (Total replies: 127)

Well tell me this maniac, can you make multipurpose maps, or no?

Time: Mon January 27, 2020 7:31 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website