A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Hawk
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 9, 2010 12:30 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play: Halo / Halo CE / FarCry / COD 2/ HL2/ Quake 4
my shotgun is autographed by Dick Cheney

Post Statistics
Hawk has contributed to 40 posts out of 469656 total posts (.01%) in 4,648 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » export error Nov 9, 2010 12:30 AM (Total replies: 2)

In Gmax go to Customise/Preferences then click on the Maxscript tab.
under Memory you'll see that you can adjust Initial Heap Allocation... don't set it too high only about 10 or 12 should be fine.
Hope that helps

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » More help, with exporting? Nov 8, 2010 02:22 PM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: assassinchief106
I can't find Grablistener, may I have a download link?

If you downloaded Chimp from this site Grablistener is in a seperate folder named as such... inside you shall find the .exe for it..

Halo CE General Discussion » New Halo PC Games? Nov 8, 2010 02:18 PM (Total replies: 42)

You are only limited by your creativity. Look at the Quake series... how many people still mod and play that game.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » bitmaps problem Oct 17, 2010 01:41 PM (Total replies: 4)

If you are using the bitmaps that are found in Halo CE Files then no shader creation is needed ( from what I know ).. just make sure to copy the bitmaps to your folder data/your map named folder/ bitmaps and it should be fine..
If you are using custom made bitmaps:
First create a folder named bitmaps in the Halo CE/Data folder
Second.. place your bitmaps in that folder and compile them with Tool

This is a tutorial I found a while ago about creating simple shaders.. I do not take credit for creating it as the tutorial is old and had no author name on it. Hopefully it will help.

A simple tut to create shaders.

1) Save your images to the correct path that you want in your data folder.
2) Run bitmaps with tool. Command is: tool bitmaps folderlocation
3) Open up the newly created bitmap in guerilla. It will be in the same directory as your image but in the tags folder.
4? (not sure if this is required)) Under format, the second box down, select compressed with explicit alpha.
5) Save your bitmap.
6) Still in guerilla, go to file, new, and create a new shader of the type you want. (.shader_enviroment for your map).
7) Under the second box down, select the type of material you want (the physics properties box).
8) Scroll down a bit to "diffuse properties" and under "base map" click on the ... and select your recently created bitmap file.
9) Save your shader.

Notes:
a) This is a way to create simple shaders. More advanced methods can be used to make them look a lot better
b) Your material name in (g)max must be EXACTLY the same as your shader name.
c) For the above reason, I recommend creating your shaders before you build your map. That way, you know something is wrong if tool gives you a message about your shaders. If no message is given, they are set up properly.
d) Your shader(s) do not need to be in your map folder. The HEK will automatically find the shader no matter what folder it is in aslong as it is in your tags folder.

............... ___@@@__
......_____//_______\________
---o-------- GRAMMAR-POLICE---@)
-----`--(@)======+====(@)--'
Edited by Hawk on Sep 30, 2010 at 10:40 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Custom Gametypes Sep 27, 2010 08:16 PM (Total replies: 5)

Plasma Pistols only on Infinity with max shields... lol jk

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Sep 27, 2010 08:15 PM (Total replies: 11484)

Moose ... how about less weapons as the rounds progress... the aim well before you shoot kinda thing? Instead of Spray and Pray... :lol:

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP]Encounter Sep 27, 2010 08:08 PM (Total replies: 7)

Quote: --- Original message by: Shade117 pro
It looks good, the bsp model has no errors that i could see so yeah. Keep it up, i cant wait for its release!

Thank you... i hope to have this completed soon.

Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
Looks great man!.
I would suggest, however, changing the deatail maps or the base maps in the map's shaders.
The textures themselves seem a bit... flat.
Keep it up!

I only know about making basic shaders... but I'm trying to advance my skills :)

Quote: --- Original message by: cytronix

looks good,i think ctf might be okay on your map aswell,maybe with the flags at each end of your platform.but having said that,there would

have to be no grenades for all game types or it will just be come a frag fest in an area that's small.but hey it looks good keep going with

it.

infact your flags could even go beside the large rocks on either side of the tunnel.that might work out okay.
Edited by cytronix on Sep 27, 2010 at 01:49 AM

CTF maybe at the two caves on the sides of the map maybe... that's an idea worth putting into the map. The nades spamming.... didn't really

think of that. Maybe I could drop it to just two plasma nades that spawn in the middle and the players have none. Thank you for the input.

:)

Quote: --- Original message by: MoooseGuy
If you need any help with unwrapping the bsp properly, PM me.

I shall do so and thank you for your help.

Quote: --- Original message by: warchieftain
You know what the sad thing about all of this is?

No matter how good of a map many people make more often than not it never gets played, take revlations for example, an amazing map yet i

havent ever seen anyone playing it on any of the version servers.

The sad fact of the matter people prefer maps like extinction, snow grove and ambush (how people like this one ill never now, its soo ugly

it hurts to look at the screen), and cmt mpg 3

I have in no way any intention of discouraging any one but these are my simple observations

I have a ded server on 1.09 that I should start putting maps on... I have it on autopay and since I've been modeling I forgot about it..lol.

I think that people go from game to game.. map to map. think about how old Halo is and still you find people playing it like those that are

dedicated to Quake/ Half Life etc... I like to think that people like myself like to design for the pure fun of it, at least that is how I

am.
Send me a PM with a few maps and make up the gametypes and I'll get them up on my server.

Thank you for the feedback/ suggestions and the offer of helping. I shall give credit for your help :)

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP]Encounter Sep 27, 2010 12:45 AM (Total replies: 7)

My third map in progress. I have two other rather large maps I am working on at the same time and I wanted to get some feedback about my progress so far on my smaller map named "encounter". I know the bitmaps seem ugly, but I am still working on learning the UVW unwrap and haven't started on learning how to get the shaders looking like they should be, the same with bumpmapping. I am trying to get the model to look better but it's taking me time.. I am learning the old fashioned way... by trial and error. I'm old school.

I would appreaciate any positive and or negative feedback. This map was inspired by the First Encounter level in Halo 3 Single Player Campaign. This is not meant to be an exact model of the original H3 level. Weapons are the classic set and do not include the two heavies the RL and FRG.. nor the dreaded plasma pistol.

This map is set up for the following gametypes:
Slayer
KOH
Oddball

I am uncertain of CTF as of yet and or Race.. but if you have suggestions I welcome them.

http://home.comcast.net/~prhawks_nest/halo ce maps/encounter_beta.zip

I hope that you enjoy my work so far with this map... you can contact me via PM on this forum and I will respond to as many of you as I can that offer suggestions.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Aug 30, 2010 11:18 PM (Total replies: 11484)

Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5
Did you model that off that one section in The Ark from Halo 3 cause that's what it reminds me off?

Yes... just not the exact same dimensions but a tiny bit larger for MP map.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Question about modeling trees Aug 30, 2010 11:16 PM (Total replies: 1)

I use Gmax and I was wondering, how would one go about modeling the barren trees from Halo 3.

I could use some tips for this, and would be thankful for any information that could be provided.
Edited by Dennis on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:18 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Aug 30, 2010 11:10 PM (Total replies: 11484)

still a work in progress.....

Edited by Hawk on Aug 30, 2010 at 11:11 PM
Edited by Dennis on Aug 31, 2010 at 12:16 AM

Beer Pong
Halo and a few others :P

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » bitmap help Jul 26, 2010 10:37 PM (Total replies: 3)

here ya go
http://home.comcast.net/~prhawks_nest/Snow.tif
http://home.comcast.net/~prhawks_nest/Roads.tif
http://home.comcast.net/~prhawks_nest/Grass.tif
http://home.comcast.net/~prhawks_nest/MetalLeaking.tif
You'll have to create your own shaders. If you don't know how I can provide you with a simple tut to help.
Edited by Hawk on Jul 26, 2010 at 10:42 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Texturing advice. Jun 12, 2010 08:03 PM (Total replies: 5)

I was asking myself the same question about a tut a long time ago. I will have time later tonight to try and put one together for you.

Some questions:

Gmax or Max ?? ( I use GMAX )
Photoshop or GIMP ?? ( I use PS not GIMP )
Ground Textures??

* Give a few days to work on this I had something come up in rl.
Edited by Hawk on Jun 13, 2010 at 09:51 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Bitmap 3ds Dec 4, 2009 02:05 PM (Total replies: 8)

I think your problem is no shaders..
I found this tut a while back so I take no credit in it's creation, unfortunatly it was not authored by anyone.. but I hope this helps. It helped me.

A simple tut to create shaders.

1) Save your images to the correct path that you want in your data folder.
2) Run bitmaps with tool. Command is: tool bitmaps folderlocation
3) Open up the newly created bitmap in guerilla. It will be in the same directory as your image but in the tags folder.
4? (not sure if this is required)) Under format, the second box down, select compressed with explicit alpha.
5) Save your bitmap.
6) Still in guerilla, go to file, new, and create a new shader of the type you want. (.shader_enviroment for your map).
7) Under the second box down, select the type of material you want (the physics properties box).
8) Scroll down a bit to "diffuse properties" and under "base map" click on the ... and select your recently created bitmap file.
9) Save your shader.

Notes:
a) This is a way to create simple shaders. More advanced methods can be used to make them look a lot better
b) Your material name in (g)max must be EXACTLY the same as your shader name.
c) For the above reason, I recommend creating your shaders before you build your map. That way, you know something is wrong if tool gives you a message about your shaders. If no message is given, they are set up properly.
d) Your shader(s) do not need to be in your map folder. The HEK will automatically find the shader no matter what folder it is in aslong as it is in your tags folder.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Lights? Help needed.. Dec 4, 2009 02:01 PM (Total replies: 5)

I have used the method of adding interor light by editing the lightmaps in sapien, then running radiosity.

hope that helps.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Weapons Tags Dec 4, 2009 01:56 PM (Total replies: 21)

Quote: --- Original message by: olly12345
Looks good! a bit plain and the the ground bitmaps and the lightmaps look weird. just my two cents but it's looking really good!

I know, I was more or less checking out how the bitmaps looked. I didn't run a full radiosity on it so that might be the reason. Thanks for the comment :)

Quote: --- Original message by: Xel
why does it remember me of "The Ark" from Halo 3? xD

As Cousin Eddie said "BINGO"

Inspiration more or less.I am trying to combine a lot of the aspects of that level into a worthwhile CE map. :)

Quote: --- Original message by: Newbkilla
Quote: --- Original message by: Ninjadude
Quote: --- Original message by: Xel
why does it remember me of "The Ark" from Halo 3? xD

cause he |337.
That or it's based on it.

Nice.

The geometry is basic and very boxy at the moment. The map with the textures looks great, though you might want to scale the map around, to fit vehicles better.

Thanks, I'm trying to get it to look good and play well with the vehicles. There is a bit more room but I don't want to spoil the map so I can only show you what pics I already posted. I will fine tune the geometry once i am done with the modeling... that latest version of my map was more of a " let's see what this looks like " when I edited some of the bitmaps.

Quote: --- Original message by: OMGWTHBBQHAXZORZ XD
Oh and another thing Hawk, you may notice that some people here are to be of the unsatisfactory sort, or just immature.

But I guess it was always like this.

Ya I guess you could say I'm pretty disappointed in the community.

ANYWAY. So what type of mood are you trying to give your map? Something like sandy ruins? Or dry desert?

I understand, it gets like that all over. But you shouldn't be disappointed as the community still thrives.. if it fails, then you have something to be disappointed about.

I am trying to give it that airid dry desert mood...

Thank you jesse

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Weapons Tags Dec 3, 2009 02:04 AM (Total replies: 21)

Quote: --- Original message by: OMGWTHBBQHAXZORZ XD
Actually Hawk let me say one thing,
Right now there are already A LOT of people currently making halo 3 styled tags.
So my suggestion would be to tag something a little more creative, say your own custom weapon that you thought up yourself. That way there can be some more "fun" in the maps people create and less "copies".

I mean really if you want halo 3 just PLAY halo 3.
But then again some people just maps for fun so it's ok. Though being creative is much more honorable.

Also good luck in your future career! Hope to see you prosper.

I have/ play Halo 3 and ODST, both of which give me some inspiration for creating my maps.
I understand about creating your own content... I just haven't advanced to that level of the learning curve to work on animations and the properties etc of the weapons.
Thank you for the well wishes.

Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
Do you texture at all?

Pictures of your work?

I textured my own map, though sheer determination and learning from my own mistakes. Lets face it, there aren't many tutorials on Texturing your map with more than 2 or 3 bitmaps.
I don't give up easily and have a few pages of notes to guide me along the way now.

One is complete and already on Halomaps... the other two are about 80% and 40% completed with the modeling.
You can see my latest called Hysteria.. and here is a pic of one of my wips:

Edited by Hawk on Dec 3, 2009 at 02:15 AM
Edited by Hawk on Dec 3, 2009 at 02:18 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Need help on a project... Dec 1, 2009 03:21 PM (Total replies: 5)

GMAX?

I can help you if you need it, with some of the modeling.

Time: Sat January 18, 2020 1:09 AM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website