A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts
  
 
Viewing User Profile for: D4NO
About Contact
Joined: Jul 7, 2007 12:43 PM
Last Post: Nov 7, 2011 11:23 AM
Last Visit: Nov 7, 2011 11:23 AM
Location: Australia
Occupation: Flash Animator/3d Artist
Interests:
Your Age: 22
What Games do you play: Steam
Email: {hidden}


Send Private Message
Post Statistics
D4NO has contributed to 80 posts out of 469450 total posts (.02%) in 4,512 days (.02 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 7, 2011 11:23 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Sounds to me like opinions are just that.

I bet 90 percent of you listen to Gaga/Kanye/Bieber and the rest of the gang.

I'm going to give you some personal criticism if you do:

You have bad taste.


I will not accept opinions from people with obviously bad taste, jaded opinions and invalid critiques. It'd be like me, as a guitar player, having some piece of filth tell me to play a 4 chord song, because those sell money and are popular.

Artistic style or colour or premise is of no concern to you. Criticisms regarding 3D art are supposed to fall within build quality itself. Artistic direction is all a matter of perspective. You can voice it sure, but in this age of this particular community, all it does is waste time and we need to get things moving now.


This is how it works:

Me make something, we ask people who know what the F they're talking about.

We post the thing on community forums to you know....let people know things are happening and give some insight on where things are headed and or just to plain share something we think is cool.


Some clown on some forum thinks he has input on my creative process? Pfft. Yeah, the last thing I need after being at work all day dealing with clients and their feedback, is coming home working on something till 3 in the morning and some candyass telling me how to do my hobby with his broken feedback.


The problem is, this invalid "every voice shall be heard" criticism way of thinking is what broke the modding scene in this community. Now everything has to conform to this ideal mindset and fall within some invisible bracket no one can see or follow, and progress doesn't happen. People spend too long on a project and it falls apart.


This doesn't happen in other modding communities, who also, seem to produce better more consistent work. All your "criticisms" are, are reflecting ideologies 90 percent of the time and hold no weight what so ever.

This too fat, this too thin, this not bassey enough, needs more cowbell. It will never end. You look for some sort of "problem" as if it's always there and exists and you must find it. "Oh this thing here, I have to find something to pick apart, this must be it here, I dunno derp"

We stare at this stuff for hours on end as we make it. After a certain point you need to realize all of it is intended and we know about it.

In the case of my current work:

Yes there are flaws, some areas painted quicker than others, some parts that aren't as special, but I am well aware of them, and none of you brought them up. You didn't bring up valid criticism. You brought up "design choices" which, in my opinion, you have no real call to make.

Personally my current way of doings things, is I try to get out my stuff in less than 5 nights (I have lazy days to you know, have a break in between those) so I'm not spending too long on one thing.
Years ago I'd spend weeks or even longer making one thing, only for it to be bad anyway in the long run just because I wasn't as good at the time as I am now.
In the last month or so I've knocked out a whole bunch of stuff, and it's much better this way. Everything get's polished later, but what's posted is what it will look like, minus some tweaks and more time spent on painting. The important part is that things get done, and stay fresh. I don't want to be staring at the same thing for all that time again to get sick of it and lose flair and then have some grubby people spitting all over it.

People accept criticism and take it on the skin of their teeth, but I feel deep down it's the reason many have moved on from this community. After a point it just becomes frustrating to never just being able to be happy with something you just wasted weeks of your life on.

So I knock it out and give it as much attention as I can within a timeframe and then I move onto the next. If somethings taking longer than expected, I take a breather from that particular piece, get back to life, distract myself, come back, knock something else out, and then return to the piece again with fresh eyes.


Every artist strives to make the best he can at that present time, but there are boundaries to this so called feedback you think your giving.

All this stuff we post is PR to basically say "were still here". How I'd wish Black Mesa Source would post some damn proper updates.



This forum is nothing but a wailing wall and the mantra that goes on along with it is half the reason the community is so fragmented. Modacity is no different.


I also know for a fact that this is ALL Tall Poppy syndrome. I can bet good money on a resident well liked halomaps guy posting these same images getting blown and jizzed all over like a shemale train in thailand.


I don't really know what to say anymore. There it is. Feel glad, It's 3:20 in the morning and I just became a sucker, yet again. This will be the last time I post here at least until things improve, because I won't put up with this.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 6, 2011 09:33 AM (Total replies: 12123)

You judge what you see, disregarding any context or thought what so ever. What a lovely way of thinking. Do you attend Clan rallies by any chance?

Please don't copulate and create more people who think like you.

I could post any number of shots of the jackal from various artsy renders and poses that look even more "edgy" then my posted shots in certain lighting situations.

Playing game > seeing in action

vs

Obvious viewport and obvious dark single lighting render.

I'd love to prove you wrong and make a lovely big lit up colourful render for you, but I don't give that much of an F.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 6, 2011 09:17 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

Quote: --- Original message by: D4NO
Eye's meant to be like that btw.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/images/%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CMF18265lg.jpg

If you look closely, you can still notice that small slit running vertically through the eyeball. In yours I do not really see that, just a big ball with some minor detail in it.
Edited by Higuy on Nov 6, 2011 at 08:54 AM


Normal map.



Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
Quote: --- Original message by: D4NO

Oh look I cannot handle crit or feedback at all because I had a hard life in the ghetto.

Edited by D4NO on Nov 6, 2011 at 08:27 AM


I was in fact talking about your art STYLE, "dark and grim" has NOTHING to do with "hi resolution" or whatever.

> Dano cannot read
< Can
> Or
< Nope
> Dano cannot handle any form of crit
< Crit wasn't given
> Your art looks dark and grim, I did not say it looked bad, but halo is more known for a more colorful flair rather than dark and grim gears of war style art.
< Wrong. Just plain flat out wrong. Your confusing texture detail yet again, with style. if I saturated anything anymore with colour, It'd would look wrong and gross. Your also comparing in game shots with bloom and proper materials to max viewport's and a basic render with DARK LIGHTING
> Dano is easily offended
< The offense, was your continued ineptitude and denying it has anything to do with bias, as you did this exact same thing last time over a yellow stripe that, btw didn't gel with halo's "style" but you actually were derp enough to want it. Bad taste. Opinion void.
> Why am I using ">"
< Because your attempting to mock my post by copying what I did, to create a "white rabbit" approach of arguing. I am now continuing this with yours.
> In belgium we have a yoghurt known as Danone, it is light and tasty, unlike your art, which is dark and grim.
Using some unrelated personal thing to promote a wrong statement.
> Apologies for giving feedback to a dick who cannot handle crit


Feedback, not Feedbag. Put down the doritos and actually know what your talking about.


Let's re iterate:

*Post's viewports with no lighting what so ever, and a render with dark moody lighting to show off detail and be less ambient*

DIS NOT BLOOM AND LOW RES PURPLE SLICK, DIS NOT HALOL.

Please.
Edited by D4NO on Nov 6, 2011 at 09:24 AM
Edited by D4NO on Nov 6, 2011 at 09:25 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 6, 2011 08:44 AM (Total replies: 12123)

I'm not really being a dick though. Just testing something.

Eye's meant to be like that btw.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 6, 2011 08:32 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Why would I put a beak on the jackal.

"If It was me making it"

Please, proceed.

Oh I'm sorry, all my reference pictures of the Jackal from bungie must be wrong then.


Also, the model isn't impressive. The model is actually quite bad and I had alot of annoyance working with it.

The model isn't what I did. The paint/hi poly model are.
Edited by D4NO on Nov 6, 2011 at 08:37 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 6, 2011 08:23 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Oh look it's this guy again.


>Assuming "Hi Resolution" makes things look "gears"
>Immediately means he knows nothing about anything
>Is comparing proper resolution textures to console Halo games
>All are undetailed and blurry because of a technical limitation, not a design limitation
>Bungie attempted to correct this with Reach, having overcome the technical boundary, somewhat

>Jackal is no different to the actual Jackal, apart from higher texture res> detail > undersuit design, which is clean

Hurp. Please leave. It's obvious your covered in bias gunk.

> looks at own join date. Realizes joined this forum on 7/7/7
> am awesome

< trying to green text when not on 4chan
>sigh


Maybe I should save all the textures down to 512 so it looks "halo" to you.
Edited by D4NO on Nov 6, 2011 at 08:27 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 6, 2011 08:11 AM (Total replies: 12123)











As you can see, the Grunt has been finished. I'll be adding in the yellow, blue hair and hyena penis later.


*right click > img source for the proper size images btw*
Edited by D4NO on Nov 6, 2011 at 08:12 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Oct 9, 2011 06:27 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
You don't seem to get what I am saying.

This AR doesn't have anything special, especially compared to the fantastic overhauls of the covenant weapons. The subtle yellow stripe added alot of character and really fit in well with CMT's style, making it look really unique.

As it is now, it is just another assault rifle restyle lacking anything special to it.

This is my opinion, and you don't have to agree with it. However you do not need to get personal, you troll. If you are Dano then I feel sorry for you that you cannot handle crit, but I'm guessing you're just another old alt account of one of our haters. I won't make a list nor will I respond to your insulting posts anymore.



Congratulations, you have all my



It's obvious you don't know at all what your talking about, and explaining further will mean I'll have to be on this crappy forum for longer than I hoped, which may open me up to all kinds of ill doings.

Btw, Not Dano.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Oct 9, 2011 06:18 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
Quote: --- Original message by: D4NO
Hey wow, my old account works.


Also, I think the yellow stripe added character. The Assault Rifle now lacks a certain level of bougewoir and synergy.

I think CMT are a terrible team and everything they make is sub quality. Lumoria make much better stuff, and continue to innovate the Halo CE engine with their push for the development of moar Ai, and moar Ai.


<_>


If you really are Dano then I have just lost all respect for you. Lumoria is about level design and great encounters, you guys are about pusing the engine itself. Two very different goals and it's a shame to see you fall to such a level of insulting us like this. Very low.


I'm sorry you took that as insult, I don't know who you are. I literally just picked some bad mod name off the top of my head. I have no idea about anything, I kind of don't care really.

I've just noticed a severe lack of reason in your posts, regarding Dano's work. Bungies Halo 3 AR is technically greyscale, and lacks any real "character" so you say. The Assault rifle will never look drastically different in design because......it's the Assault Rifle. The silhouette and shape is kind of it's thing. If he was to mess with that, he would then be accused of "breaking" it.

The yellow stripe it seems was a play on the notion that literally everything, no matter the quality is bogged down with unreasonable "criticism" about the tiniest of things. It's obvious that Dano added an obnoxious yellow stripe that lacked any design traits to make it easy for everyone to figure out what they hate so much about it.

But it seems in a weird turn of events, people have no taste, and actually liked that.


Btw, I'm not Dano, I'm D4NO.
Edited by D4NO on Oct 9, 2011 at 06:19 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Oct 9, 2011 06:12 AM (Total replies: 12123)

No one has a working sarcasmo meter, I assume.


Protip: Gurdy was being sarcastic.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Oct 9, 2011 06:07 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Hey wow, my old account works.


Also, I think the yellow stripe added character. The Assault Rifle now lacks a certain level of bougewoir and synergy.

I think CMT are a terrible team and everything they make is sub quality. Lumoria make much better stuff, and continue to innovate the Halo CE engine with their push for the development of moar Ai, and moar Ai.


<_>

Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Oct 11, 2008 05:17 AM (Total replies: 8490)

So your arguing about bipeds huh?









Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Sep 29, 2008 12:16 AM (Total replies: 8490)

Quote: --- Original message by: Ro0ster
WOW! I have one guestion though, What former being was it?


It's a pure form.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Sep 23, 2008 01:35 AM (Total replies: 8490)

Arent feet.

They're actually it's arms.
It holds them upright witht he bottoms facing outwards, the wings coordinate back and forth to each other to provide lift and the middle fin acts as a rudder.

It's in the posiition it is now so that when it does get rigged, it'll have the maximum amount of geometry to work with, rather than modelling the creature in a pose, losing data when you go to move it into a position that isn't native to it's modelled pose. It's the very same reason character artists model characters with their arms and legs outstretched at their sides. More room to animate.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Sep 22, 2008 03:41 AM (Total replies: 8490)



It's a biggy.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Sep 21, 2008 10:43 AM (Total replies: 8490)







First character I've ever made fully myself. Model, hi res sculpt in mudbox, unwrapping, textures, the lot. Usually I just do unwrapping and textures, so this time it was a bit of an experience.

All up, the main character is 4017 triangles and the egg is 830 triangles, so it fell below my initial poly budget which is great.

You can see some wierdness with the shadows and the alpha planes on the tentacles, but that's just because of my volumetric light interfering with alpha raytracing. I don't really know how to fix it :/
Edited by D4NO on Sep 21, 2008 at 10:45 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Regarding old CMT content. Aug 24, 2008 01:56 AM (Total replies: 116)

Sali, I know you think that much of yourself, but I don't hate you. Really, your not that far deep in my subconscious. I just have to correct stupid posts.


I also like how you ignored 90 percent of my post.

You weren't all that bad to me before I seen that post, then you really did sink quite a fair metaphorical miles.

I really don't understand you people.

We spend our own time and effort, making a mod for the community, while the community yells at us for it.

We could just pack up and leave, and take everything with us somewhere else, to some other engine.

Would you all like that? Would that be helping the community, if we left, like you all so want us to do?


Like 90 percent of other community mod teams don't release anything open source at all. The normal, nice rational communities are happy enough to just play the mod, yet we do release stuff, and we do help those who we think really would benefit.


We just wanted to put some new life into an old game. We're not evil dictators, we're not in any position of power at all. We just want to make something that people will enjoy.

Why can't you people just be happy with what you've got.
Edited by D4NO on Aug 24, 2008 at 02:09 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Regarding old CMT content. Aug 24, 2008 12:24 AM (Total replies: 116)

Quote: --- Original message by: D Salimander
According to what I have heard from members of CMT, here are some qualities that they have (This is relevant to the thread; keep reading to see how.):

who cares exactly what your subjective opinion is? I can spot a "holier than thou" attitude a mile away buddy, and your wearing one.

1. Disregard to any opposition.Automatically assuming that they are right. Did you know that some people are actually smarter than CMT members? No duh Sherlock, you earned yourself a gold medal in clueless. I see Captain Obvious has some competition.Shocking, right? Not really. Stop acting like you know best. It is very clear to me that MANY of CMT's choices were the exact opposite of what they should have been. Care to elaborate rather than flinging garbage out into the air? I can't say exactly how you people decide on some of the things you do, but it has to change. Oh I see, so you make an accusation but can't back it up. Nice one. This leads to the next point. You had one?

2. Little effort towards thinking things out. Ironic, I could say the say the same for someone who time and time again stuffed up the shaders in a little map called "Seclusion" You say you have gotten arid of things you made a while ago, that you would otherwise release to the anxious community? This is stupidity at it's best. Gee let's make something amazing that "everybody" wants and delete it because we don't feel like keeping it anymore. Seriously. I declare that an epic failure. Ok, I'm missing the point you promised earlier. We have released stuff. Get off our backs. It's our content and we can do with it as we wish. Is halomaps grounded on communism or something?.Not to mention map protection. You obviously put effort into figuring out how to prevent noob maps. Yet, you failed at figuring out how to entice excellent mods of things that you put minimal effort into. Hmm I guess it seemed logical for a team like us to be working on a mod, but then release all the content for it before we even finished, sort of undermining the very point of doing the mod in the first place. What are we, goons for hire to you people? Is our very existence based on us sitting at our computers in our own personal life to just make content for you your people, who constantly bash us anyway?. Let's make something amazing but not finish it and release it because... we can? What the? A sad definition of respect for your own content. I think your just called the kettle black AND neon purple, you massive hypocrite. You say you want us to release content but then you dish flames at us for releasing the stuff? I want some of what your smoking.I have seen countless things that you have made that were on the verge of being remarkable, yet fell just short enough to be labeled average. Everything Ive ever seen you make, has been useless garbage. Who are you to say such things? I even recall you ripping some of our textures and passing them off as your own. Gee, guess you hate us that much huh. An excellent example is your mind boggling urge to not fix small details that could use slight adjusting, thus turning up the standard of quality for your content. (Thus turning into much respect. (Especially from me.)) A , we don't want your respect, because as clearly obvious by reading this post, you have no clue what planet your on, B, We don't fix things totally to the extreme because this is a large scale mod, we have to get everything done first before we refine it. Get off our backs. Do I troll your sub par content saying "hurr it's got some flaws, your a failure"? No? Well maybe I should.This also leads to another point. You seem to be full of these points you keep mentioning, but all I have seen so far is hypocritical banter.

3. Denial of suggestions. I have given LISTS of things that could use improvement "aww, me me me me me awwwww no one listens to meeeeeeeee" , maybe because of posts like THIS VERY ONEyet all you could say was It wasn't finished; you are only trying to make me look like a nub; you didn't read the fine print, therefor you must be stupid; etc. I was once talking with Dane about something he could have done to make my job on Seclusion a little more efficient, but all he said was buzz off. (Profanity replaced.) Outright lie. I know you didn't think I'd post here, and I know you didn't think I'd see this post, but I did. I remember your job was doing shaders and ingaming stuff. I do textures. I did all I could do. It was you and Duce who stuffed it up. It's like he knew what he was doing so well that he couldn't bare comprehend that I had a better idea. Or maybe, I've done what I've been doing for a long time, and when I see it get stuffed up for the first time, it's NOT me who's doing the buggering up, it's you. I just made you look like YOU didn't know what you were doing, because your so dam used to having people around who tell you that everything you make is awesome. You clearly don't understand the term community. You clearly don't understand the term "communism" It's like everything revolves around you. Hahahahahhahahaahahhaha, oh man, now the kettle is indigo with orange spots on it. You act like you can handle everything on your own. I have witnessed it myself, YOU CAN'T. Haha, that's what you seem to think, but as I recall, it was you who botched up the in gaming of everything. I'm a texture artist. I paint textures. Your job was to make them work, and you couldn't. Don't blame your failings on me. This thread, along with many others you have made, proves it. Oh hey, another trail to another point. I see no trail, I see breadcrumbs and blood stains.

4. Lack of care/etc toward the community.

Hahahahha. The most clueless thing you've said thus far. I'm not going to even bother with the rest of that one. This shouldn't even be debated. We put out our own personal lives, we spend hours upon hours of your day making content, for an old unsupported game. You know why?

FOR THE COMMUNITY AND OUR FRIENDS. I could leave the community at any point and go full blown into the unreal 3 mod I'm working on, but I don't. Why? Same reason the rest of us don't. Because we care.

I even worked on Seclusion with Il Duce and you, I went against every moral fiber of my being, to work on something that I knew was going to be ripped. But I thought I owed something to the community, that I had to give them something. But how do I get re payed for venturing out of cmt and working with other people? I get stabbed in the back. Nice one. Any chance you had of growing creatively is out the window buddy.

So why don't we release the hard worked on content we've been pouring our souls into?

Because from DAY 1 this forum, whined and nagged about wanting the content, and now your all just spurt along on the same bandwagon, forgetting what your even arguing about anymore. You just want a man to hate. Everyone needs someone to hate. So we thought, bugger em, they're going to be jerks to us? Lets forget about those people. We do however help out people who are nice, polite and are deserving. It's just a coincidence that 90 percent of the people at halomaps are needy prepubescents, who feel they claim ownership of everything. The rest of the community are great.


5. Lacking experience in sharing knowledge. Sure you have made some tutorials when you first started out, but where are the tutorials nowadays?

Ok, Champion post. We are making a FULL CONVERSION MOD. We have LIVES. We do not have the time, on top of the mod and our personal lives, to make tutorials for you ungrateful backstabbers.

I never ever EVER have used a tutorial for texturing. Why should anyone else need em? If someone is dedicated enough to a purpose, they'll figure it out, like I and many other people have. If they're a quitter, they're going to whine and ask for tutorials, because they lack the initiative to pursue a goal by themselves.


Oh, and I actually did make tutorials, tutorials that I have seen many people tryng. I've also noticed that alot more people have been trying to make their own textures too. Hey look guys, I contributed!

So what have you contributed, Salimander, as long as we're talking about contribution and shelf life here, what have you committed to and achieved that has attributed to the gain of the people?


6. Map protection.

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW quit flogging that horse. That's not the real issue and you know it.

Any further points (such as your lack of spelling) would be un-needed bickering about small details I dislike. I will not get into them for my own sake, not yours. But I do see the potential for a successful team; which is why I am posting this. No, your posting this because your an egocentric lark who thinks he is some sort of figurehead in the community, that he matters. You don't. You had some promise, but no, this post has undoubtedly sealed your fate as annoying useless poster for all time.

CMT does contain a few nice qualities, but I honestly can't speak of them after typing up what you just read. So a post where you point out flaws.

Boyo, if I was to sit here and post a topic about your flaws, I'd be here typing until world peace was achieved.

Your a negative, condescending, ungrateful whining insignificant blotter of text on a page.


Oh, and if anybody likes to laugh at my habit of making lists: I have to because I have so many points, not making a list would only confuse me, possibly in-addition to you.

Again. I followed the trail of breadcrumbs and blood stains and all I found was a pitiful sulking little rodent hiding under a rock, a rock called "hypocrisy"

-I apologize to Dane for making him look bad
Sorry, but you didn't make anything happen. Like I care what you say about me. I guess you really are that egotistical that you think people actually care what you say. I however, have to correct false statements, like this whole post. There's a difference between caring and correcting.


Responses in bold.
Edited by D4NO on Aug 24, 2008 at 12:33 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [MAP] Seclusion Aug 8, 2008 10:11 PM (Total replies: 83)

Due to a last minute incident with Il Duce I nearly ended up boycotting my own work in this map.

I am however proud of this map.

Halo CE General Discussion » Can I texture/skin? May 10, 2008 08:45 PM (Total replies: 89)

Stop using grunge brushes.


Also, your doing it wrong, and slow. The scratches look way too thin and like generic source mod skinners weapon skins. Not everywhere needs a scratch. Include a narrative in the design. Picture a battle in your head, picture every movement of the gun, and picture it scraping up against a wall, being knocked to the ground,and picture where damage would occur logically. Put the nail scratches of a brute who gripped the gun too tightly from anger. These thigns make the texture seem to have more life and soul.

Right now, it looks like "Texture Tutorials 101".


Also, you have alot of fine detail but barely any large or medium detail in the texture. At a first person view, the gun will look severely undetailed and monotoned. You are on a track, not necessarily the right one, but you'll get there if you let yourself get there.


Time: Tue November 12, 2019 4:48 AM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website