A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Codebrain
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 15, 2011 05:32 PM
Interests:
Your Age: 18
What Games do you play:
/meme

Post Statistics
Codebrain has contributed to 446 posts out of 468033 total posts (.10%) in 4,066 days (.11 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: Juiceb0xhero
Yep, I would of thought that after 8 posts, somebody would of at least had some advice, I thought wrong.

Did you do what i asked?

Quote: --- Original message by: Codebrain
Is this being built from a jms file or is it already compiled (aka has a .scenario and everything)? If so, open Sapien and find out what spot causes the game to crash. Since you said every time you test, the game crashes, I suggest you look at where your player spawns.

Still, here we are, with the same error as in that thread, only now there is no hacked tool to blame it on.

More than likely the error means that something is touching something that isn't supposed to be touched/cannot be touched.

This thread on another forum had the same error come up, and it had to do with geometry errors and how the game crashed whenever something touched the entrance of both pyramids.

Is this being built from a jms file or is it already compiled (aka has a .scenario and everything)? If so, open Sapien and find out what spot causes the game the crash. Since you said every time you test, the game crashes, I suggest you look at where your player spawns.

Quote: --- Original message by: iHalo
I'm thinking either an SDK or original Halo CE source code :O

I was thinking either two scenarios:

1. Halo:A for PC, which would include an editing kit (Not like HEK because Halo:A uses a completely different engine with different filetypes (at least according to Kornman) to allow us to create content for said game.

2. The more high quality modders (such as Kornman, CMT and TM, but there are more people than just them) will be highly recommended to join 343.

I did not actually think about the source for Halo CE, they COULD do it.

So far this entire thread has been posts that don't show any kind of content created for the Halo CE engine.

I would suggest you start posting stuff.

Halo CE General Discussion » best way to go about a firing animation Aug 31, 2011 04:01 AM (Total replies: 5)

It would also help if you were to look at a video of a gun firing that is similar to the gun you are animating.

I believe most videos however are side shots of guns firing, rather than what would be "first person" firing, so what I said might not be helpful as I wanted it to be.

Halo CE General Discussion » Some Questions about OS Aug 1, 2011 05:50 PM (Total replies: 12)

Not that I know of.

Also you will more than likely receive comments from Kornman/FireScythe at OpenSauce's primary forums, Modacity.net and Halomods.com. I don't believe the both of them step into this forum often as much as Modacity or Halomods.
Edited by Codebrain on Aug 1, 2011 at 08:12 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Grunt birthday party? Jul 31, 2011 01:08 AM (Total replies: 4)

Could be, but it would probably be messy.

My idea would be

Skull script (detects when a player picks up the GBP skull)

If the player picks up the skull then

Erase all currently spawned AI

Respawn AI that have an altered collision model that has a plasma grenade explosion effect on head regions only

That's my idea of it.

Halo CE General Discussion » Engineers Jul 30, 2011 11:57 PM (Total replies: 17)

I have not modded Halo CE in a while so correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think your idea Olly will work as intended.

IIRC the health you set in an actor_variant is not a limit, its just how much HP they have. That means the gun can heal OVER the amount you set in the actor_variant

If several AI (or one) was kept alone with that engineer for a while (perhaps the player did not have enough ammo or too many enemies around), they would be practically invincible, but being able to kill them in one hit with a melee in the back would fix that.

Like I said I have not modded Halo CE in a while so I don't know what I said is true or not. I'm just thinking that might be what would happen.

Edit: One way you can fix it is instead of having the gun with "unlimited" ammo (9999) it would have a much less number (lets say 15 shots)

That way, if it ran out of ammo it couldn't heal anyone anymore and would be useless.

Another idea would be having the engineer in a script checking to see if a teammate (or enemy if AI can't fire at friendlies) is low on HP, then have the engineer "shoot" that teammate (enemy) until it reaches the amount in the AI's actor_variant, and if it does reach it, it moves on to someone else.
Edited by Codebrain on Jul 31, 2011 at 12:01 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » How do you use open sauce? Mar 27, 2011 03:08 PM (Total replies: 35)

Quote: --- Original message by: spartan314
Sooo, wait a moment I'm a bit confuddled here. So is this one: http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?17758-OpenSauce-Halo-CE-SDK-Update-2-%28RC%29

the latest one? ported to 1.09? Because I've updated to 1.09 as soon as I installed on my comp like a year ago.

As Kornman said before, the download in the first post is outdated. You need to use a Mercurial/VisualHG client, (TortoiseHG is what I use) to download OpenSauce.

Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Thanks for the clarification, codebrain.
I'm also guessing that if you are using the OS dll, you can still join normal servers? And if you host a normal map with open sauce, that other's can't join you?

You can still join regular servers if you are using the OpenSauce dll. However, don't hold it against me when I said others couldnt join you if you hosted a map that used OpenSauce if they didnt have OpenSauce, I'm just assuming thats what it does.

Halo CE General Discussion » How do you use open sauce? Mar 27, 2011 12:45 PM (Total replies: 35)

Quote: --- Original message by: sargejohnson
Will OpenSauce be ported to 1.09 in the future, or will the effort to do so be too much to handle?

OpenSauce has already been ported to version 1.09, and has been for a while.

Edit:

Quote: --- Original message by: SlappyThePirate
Just so I'm clear: If you compile a map with open sauce, only others with the open sauce d3d9.dll can play it? Or is it just more tools you can use to compile with?
ex. I use open sauce tool to compile a map with multi-team vehicles. Can normal users play the map? With multi-team vehicles?

Yes, people would need the OpenSauce dll file and the taggroups.map that you used for your map. To play this map with other people you would also need to use the OpenSauce dedicated server, or else your map would crash upon loading (since its trying to use stuff that doesn't exist). If they don't have OpenSauce, the server will deny them access to it (that or crash Halo, I cant remember what it did) and people would not be able to play your map.

A suggestion would be to if map makers are indeed using OpenSauce, please package alongside with your map the OpenSauce dll file, as well as the taggroups.map file. Also provide instructions saying that this two files are NECESSARY in order for your map to be run. Explain that the two files need to be in the Halo CE Root Directory, or else the map will crash upon load.
Edited by Codebrain on Mar 27, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Destructable Wraith Mar 17, 2011 07:41 PM (Total replies: 12)

Describe the error by posting it here.

Don't know how? Go to your Halo CE root directory (Either "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition" for x32 bit computers, or "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition" for x64 bit computers) and find a file called "debug.txt"

Open it and look at the latest entry (which is at the bottom of the file), copy it and post it here.

Then I or another person can help you.

Halo CE General Discussion » Non-linear SP Map Feb 25, 2011 10:04 PM (Total replies: 21)

The second part of a30 (Halo) is an example of a non-linear single player map.

During the second part of a30 (Halo) you have to save 3 marine squads that crashed landed onto Halo from a lifepod. You, as the player, can choose which ever squad to go to first, second, or last. Because of this, 3 seperate ending cutscenes had to be made in case one of those areas were finished last. Recorded animations had to be made for the pelican in each area (3 in total)

What I am trying to say is: Yes, it has been done before (by Bungie, not so certain if anyone else has done it) however it can be difficult if more endings are available (lets say the b through z example, 25 different endings would have to be made because if the player was able to go to any point without it being linear, the player could finish the map at any of those points.)

Edited by Codebrain on Feb 25, 2011 at 10:06 PM

Boolean, in scripts means it is a variable that is either true or false.

Examples of booleans could be the following:

Lets say you had a firefight map and wanted a boss to appear at a certain wave. You would make a wave counter (a "short" variable) and a boss wave checker (a "boolean" variable)

If the wave counter was at a certain number, say 7, the boss wave checker would be set to true, and then the boss would appear.

Of course I'm certain Gamma has a better explanation that what I just said, however this is my understanding of it.

First, the trigger volume you call in your script must be the same name Sapien is using for that trigger volume.

If the trigger volume your scripting is called p1 in Sapien, then it must be p1 in the script as well.

As for posting images, have you uploaded them to a image hosting website or have you not?

Go to your Halo Custom Edition Directory.

Then, go to data\levels and see if you have a folder named "domain". If not, make one.

Inside the "domain" folder, make another folder called "scripts". Put the script file in there. Make certain that the filetype of the script is .hsc
Edited by Codebrain on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:21 PM

At the top of your script (if you are using variables, place this below them):

(script static "unit" player0
(unit (list_get (players )0 )))

Then for your trigger volume script use this script instead, see if it works:

(sleep_until (volume_test_objects p1 (player0))

Never understood why some of the original campaign levels from Halo CE is using "(players) 15)" unless it means it's looking for any player in singleplayer (which wouldn't make sense because Halo 1 could only use 2 people anyway)

Edit: see if Gamma's post helps you first, go to mine if it doesn't
Edited by Codebrain on Feb 25, 2011 at 12:10 PM

"i expected a script or variable definition." means that when Sapien was looking through your script, it found something that wasn't either defined as a script definition or a variable definition.

"" is what it is complaining about, this isn't defined as a script or a variable. However these two characters do seem weird though...

Edit: forgot examples

Script definitions are like this:

(script continuous ai_respawn
(script startup map_start
(script static "void" keyes_alive
(script dormant sleeping

Variable definition can mean two things: an actual variable definition or a particular script command.

Variables are:

(global "boolean" global_dialog_on false )
(global "long" global_delay_music (* 30 300 ))
(global "short" global_random 0 )

While script commands are:

(ai_dialogue_triggers true )
(sleep 30 )
(sleep_until (not global_dialog_on ))

And etc.

Edited by Codebrain on Feb 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » "Animation frame data has incorrect size?" Jan 15, 2011 04:13 PM (Total replies: 23)

Quote: --- Original message by: ThetianSoldier

I made five animations, actually; the other three were suspension animations, used to control the landing gear. They were all three frames (which is four frames in max.)

Edited by ThetianSoldier on Jan 15, 2011 at 01:48 PM

Looking at coldsnap's pelican (which is i think "npelican" or something) I see it has the landing gear also. All three suspension animations used on that pelican were 3 frames in total also, so it isn't an issue of having too many/too low frames.

I can't really think of how to solve this error, since Google has absolutely nothing on this error except this very topic.

Halo CE General Discussion » "Animation frame data has incorrect size?" Jan 15, 2011 11:39 AM (Total replies: 23)

Quote: --- Original message by: ThetianSoldier
They all have the same node checksum.
Also, I just tried to create new animations for the pelican to try to solve the problem, and I got the same error, only this time it happened while compiling in tool.
...?

Just a question, how big (as in how many frames) are these two animations you made?

Time: Thu November 15, 2018 2:57 PM 219 ms.
A Halo Maps Website