A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Disaster
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 3, 2017 11:26 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
ROCKS

Post Statistics
Disaster has contributed to 1381 posts out of 468033 total posts (.30%) in 3,988 days (.35 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Post your Top 10 HCE mappers/modders Mar 3, 2017 11:26 PM (Total replies: 95)

Quote: --- Original message by: Joshflighter
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
I've split it up in categories:

1. Maniac, Pope & Joshflighter (map modeling)

1. Lodeman (best encounter designer)

1. Lodeman (best forum member)

I agree with this post.

Hi.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Could use some help modeling Feb 27, 2013 01:22 AM (Total replies: 3)

That's a great start. Just keep on trucking man.

Look at references for the type of environment you wish to build. I can not stress this enough. Grab 10-15 pictures of the biome you are building and emulate them for you map. Try to envision the world in your mind and how it was shaped. Was it a river slowly carving out a canyon or coastal erosion?

Just remember, you can build anything you wish. Forget the guidelines for how it must be built and just build it. You can have intersecting geometry, glaring holes in geometry. Just get the shapes man. Once you have the shapes and the mood, then you can build proper topology. Be sure to look at modeling videos so you can learn the tools you have at your disposal to build shapes. There is no 'proper' way to model any geometry; quicker, maybe, but that doesn't matter.

Take a look at this:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74720

Notice how the environment was built? Very blocky representation and first and he slowly refines it. Take those same principles and build you environment.
Edited by Disaster on Feb 27, 2013 at 01:22 AM
Edited by Disaster on Feb 27, 2013 at 01:23 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Could use some help modeling Feb 25, 2013 10:32 PM (Total replies: 3)

The advice I can offer you is to break the entire map down into tiny sections. Build the map section by section. You just have to realize that complex geometry is formed by very basic shapes assembled in unique ways.

When building the sections, ignore Halo's geometry rules. Just get shapes down that mimic what you see in nature. Once you have that, you can address all of the errors and develop a working mesh.

Halo CE General Discussion » Ki11a_FTW's Halo Custom Edition Progress Log. Feb 23, 2013 03:39 PM (Total replies: 444)

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW

Anyway, trying to get rid of all the crap posts.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/5406/rebirthbeta.jpg

One of the bsp's I'm working on now. VERY large in scale.
I'm gonna start tightening things up once I can makesure all the game play works.
Again, structures are placeholders, trying to save time so I can only model what HAS to be modeled.
Edited by Ki11erFTW on Feb 23, 2013 at 06:04 AM

Well, it looks cool. How do you know if it will play well though? Have you done any play testing on rough iterations.. or?

That is the rough.

Halo CE General Discussion » Detail object destiny Jan 11, 2013 08:53 PM (Total replies: 17)

I've never made an attempt to but would it not be easier to create the alpha planes for the grass as non-colliding planes in the BSP or as large patches of scenery?

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Dec 21, 2012 12:25 AM (Total replies: 11475)

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000

You are welcome.
There are numerous ways to do this from the basic that i showed to realtime shaders in max.

Edited by Maniac1000 on Dec 20, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Realtime shaders are probably the easiest because you can have live feedback.

If you look at the Mk-23 I posted above, I used a reflection mask in the alpha of the diffuse to reflect a cubemap on the slide of the gun.
Edited by Disaster on Dec 21, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Dec 19, 2012 01:52 PM (Total replies: 11475)

Think it is done.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Dec 19, 2012 03:43 AM (Total replies: 11475)

HK MK23 I started working on a long time ago but never took the time to finish until now.

Need to tone down the grime on the grip but I think its getting there.

The mesh is sitting at about 3600 triangles.
Edited by Disaster on Dec 19, 2012 at 03:43 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » GIVE US THE TAGS!!!!! Dec 11, 2012 11:45 PM (Total replies: 145)

Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Yes, I just leaked a great deal of information.
/sarcasm

It would be cool if Zteam were able to complete their associated project, The Pit. Last I remember, it wasn't finished because of a lame untextured pelican but whatever.
If it really wasn't finished because of an untextured pelican, hell, I'll finish it.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE servers being shut down Dec 8, 2012 11:27 PM (Total replies: 335)

I think they shutdown the Microsoft Flight Simulator X servers.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Dec 4, 2012 12:15 PM (Total replies: 11475)

Quote: --- Original message by: sshers1
Quote: --- Original message by: Invader Veex
No. He is not. He's Australian. People can sometimes be mistakenly, or intentionally, told to be the creator of something when it's really somebody else's work. (I experienced it in the past in the HaloPC modding community before it died and EVERYONE thought this popular item was made by someone else rather than me)

Mmm is dano still around?

Yeah he still is. He keeps a low profile though. Last I know is he was helping with some textures and assets for SPV3.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Dec 3, 2012 07:20 PM (Total replies: 11475)

Quote: --- Original message by: sshers1
grass texture

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/sshers1/Untitled-19.png

Isn't that Dano's texture from a long while back?

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 3 Foundry Port WIP by Jesse & Sali Nov 29, 2012 06:33 PM (Total replies: 1207)

This is shaping up very nicely. Great work so far guys.

Halo CE General Discussion » Lightmaps in 3ds max Nov 17, 2012 08:44 PM (Total replies: 5)

Some real time shaders allow you to use a bitmap as a light-map in 3ds.

The one by Laurens Corijn is particularly useful.

http://www.laurenscorijn.com/viewportshader

Halo CE General Discussion » Highground Nov 16, 2012 11:49 PM (Total replies: 32)

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000

Someone started making this, it was someone from h3m, h3t or h3mt or someone who is not here anymore from around 2007, was it maybe Joshflighter?

Edited by Maniac1000 on Nov 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM

It was Josh but I think he stopped working on it. Didn't get very far If I recall correctly.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » GMax to 3ds Max? Nov 11, 2012 05:41 PM (Total replies: 7)

I haven't used Gmax in a few years but the way I did it way back when was use chimp to export and then compile with tool. Then use a .gbx model importer to open up the mesh in 3ds.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 10, 2012 10:13 PM (Total replies: 12123)

Quit belittling each other guys. Do something productive rather than bicker.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 10, 2012 09:02 PM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Quote: --- Original message by: master noob
Quote: --- Original message by: The Lodeman
You're not on the A-team because you can't offer them anything of value, let's keep it real man.

you honestly cannot say that comment was not hateful

It's not pure hate, its the harsh truth.

It may or may not be the truth but it was stated in a hateful manner. It's a hateful gut punch at Masterz that is in no way justified. Why can't we all just get along and appreciate the fact that someone is actually attempting to breathe new life into a dated game?
Edited by Disaster on Nov 10, 2012 at 09:04 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Nov 10, 2012 03:28 PM (Total replies: 12123)

Jesus christ Lodex, chill out man. Whats with all the hate?

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Nov 3, 2012 05:49 PM (Total replies: 11475)

Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003
Quote: --- Original message by: TheHiralis
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff508/Hiralis/cave2-1.jpg

Working on a cave. Apologies for blurriness

Because I am nice and it'll help you a bit if you haven't seen it:
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?7512-Cliff-Modeling/page9

Man, I was a moron 5 years ago.

Time: Thu November 15, 2018 2:56 PM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website