A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Limited
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 24, 2019 07:37 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Limited has contributed to 114 posts out of 469343 total posts (.02%) in 4,245 days (.03 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: Vaporeon
Quote: --- Original message by: LaikaGlove
Dude, what is your deal?

I am just strongly against obfuscation being used in cases like this as I find it very hypocritical. You are more than happy to read information from other more open tools and are also more than happy to reverse engineer the original game, but how DARE anyone even think of touching your stuff, even if only to help them like other sources helped you.

So yes, when the obfuscation backfired on you I find that funny. Other than that I have no issue here, and unlike what someone else may have claimed I'd have nothing bad to say at all.

How is that hypocritical? LaikaGlove spent time researching and reverse engineering the file structures himself, which you even highlighted. He also then spent time coding the tool, so why do you feel entitled to get the source code?

My question to you is, other types of mods such as SPV3 and other popular CE mods/maps, they don't release the source assets for the tags, they don't release bitmaps, models, animations etc. and no one expects them to. Yet there seems to be a common thread around here that source code is a right rather than a privilege. People releasing these tools to the public should be good enough.

I'll admit I chuckled at the obfuscator locking down the tool when the trial ran out but that was more out of the sneakiness of the obfuscator - I didn't even consider it might do that, it could easily happen to anyone.

Trust me I do know the benefits of source code being open for all, but there is also valid reasons for it to be closed off. Its really a developer's choice and should be case by case.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Jan 9, 2016 01:57 PM (Total replies: 2780)

Quote: --- Original message by: stormywave
Limited listen idiot.
It's not OUR view that it can't be a modern CE, its that its overall agreed it can't, yet people seem to think so. Look whats going on you and eldorito devs making this so complex for us, I am sure it will be a fine and fun to play Halo game, but the expectation that it will be able to match CE is not realistic. Therefore as a CE members will totally agree on me that halo online eldorito is a biggest failure, it will not retain my interest or that of the CE content creators.Halo Online will most definitely CANT make it to the west.

The ED team has never stated we think it surpass the modding capabilities of Halo Custom Edition. I have been very public, stating multiple times that it won't surpass CE, we aren't trying to compete. I'm the co-creator of ED and I'm probably one of the most skeptical of our project. I thought we would never get MP working, I thought we would never get model swaps / custom maps. Perhaps because I never put my focus on that area.

There will never be a Halo game that allows for the modding capabilites of CE. MS just won't allow the tools to be released. Even the people who made Halo CE, were shocked when they heard we had access to the tools. They were never supposed to be release to the public.

I can understand if people look at HO and think, "That probably isnt worth investing my time in, I will continue with working on HCE". If you love working with HCE, continue working with it. I still love it to this day.

Please stop all this "you vs us" and "Halo CE vs Halo Online", there shouldn't be any divides. What we do have, is what we love and enjoy, Halo.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Jan 3, 2016 05:55 PM (Total replies: 2780)

Quote: --- Original message by: Cortana
Limted, your soo selfish all you guys ever do is spam halo ce forum and threatening us. U should at least be shame of urself because you used to be halo ce member until your mind got twisted and brainwashed by one of those uglies eldorito devs. Take a look yourself you guys will never reach to halo ce not matter what.

Dont even freakin pull out excuses that you guys got saber, i tell u what saber are idiots like eldorito and limited you remember this. They will never never never release firefight map sorry if i burst your bubbles because what is the purpose eh? AI doesnt sync for crap on your halo 3 engine because i have seen gamecheat13 and they were lagging hard. Man i hope no programmers from here like kirby, kornman and
ElijahB1doesn't team up halo online eldorito and
ElijahB1made adjutant and i will call him a retarded boy if he did join them.

Just stop with your threats honestly you guys did enough damage and stop making claims that halo online eldoroto will have custom BSP. IT WONT HAPPEN!

"You know, if we stop posting, the only thing left here will be your crap. Not very constructive is it?

HO officially closing its doors temporarily, to me is only a good thing. It means they are objectively looking at what they have and thinking of ways to improve. Now if it does not return, then that will be a big shame for the whole community. Hopefully it will return with the removal of Russia-only being included." Wtf you mean about crap? Just gtfo this forum your eldorito is pissin me off man.
Edited by Cortana on Jan 3, 2016 at 03:29 PM
Edited by Cortana on Jan 3, 2016 at 03:31 PM
Edited by Cortana on Jan 3, 2016 at 03:37 PM

Ha, not going to lie this post made me chuckle. He's probably just a troll, I don't frequent Halo Maps often so I can't judge what is real and what isn't.

I did work on Halo CE, for 12 years in fact. I still cheerish it, I doubt you even know what I gave to the community. Not quite sure how I am doing damage, I wasn't brainwashed by ElDorito devs, considering I started ElDorito.

What fueled ED was a love for working on Halo PC games. Surely thats something we all have in common? I still can't understand why there is a divide between the two. They are both Halo games for the PC.
Edited by Limited on Jan 3, 2016 at 05:55 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Jan 3, 2016 02:35 PM (Total replies: 494)

Liking the progress. Things seem to be coming together nice, keep up the good work.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Jan 3, 2016 02:28 PM (Total replies: 2780)

Quote: --- Original message by: Cortana

Quote: --- Original message by: Shockfire7
Quote: --- Original message by: Shockfire
(snip)

I don't know if you're trying to impersonate me or what, but please try to do a better job of copying-and-pasting in the future. That post made my eyes bleed.

Here's the original Reddit post that this was copied from.

And as proof that this is actually me, I edited the post and left a message at the top.

Just gtfo you just cause soo much damage. And ur eldorito is fill with hackers and tell your devs stop postin crap on here.
Edited by Cortana on Jan 3, 2016 at 01:59 PM

You know, if we stop posting, the only thing left here will be your crap. Not very constructive is it?

HO officially closing its doors temporarily, to me is only a good thing. It means they are objectively looking at what they have and thinking of ways to improve. Now if it does not return, then that will be a big shame for the whole community. Hopefully it will return with the removal of Russia-only being included.

Glad I wasn't there only one to spot tutorial.map. Bet you never thought you'd be working on Halo the first time you saw that map.

Thought m00kz working for 343 was common knowledge. There's a handful of people that work at big AAA companies that came from CE community.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo-Online at the Halomaps.org forum Nov 9, 2015 09:30 PM (Total replies: 72)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: Limited
Hey Dennis, long time no speak.

Considering you changed your stance on Open Sauce, I'm hoping that one day if Halo Online becomes international, you will again change your mind and allow a section.

*waves ED flag*

I have never changed my stance on Open Sauce it has always been the same. I have nothing against Open Sauce and never did.

Halo Online on the other hand does not have a sanctioned editing kit it is not available in the west, and the version people here are talking about is a stolen hack that violates the copyright and EULA. We will never support it here under those conditions.

You run a tight ship Dennis, and as I've always said in the past, it is yours and I respect your stance on it. It's why I haven't posted anything of substance on the matter.

Regarding OS, in the past you stated you wouldn't host files the files. But, that's not a topic for today.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Nov 9, 2015 08:39 PM (Total replies: 2780)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
It's a hacked-together piece of crap. Not the H3 engine.

lol, hush uneducated one.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo-Online at the Halomaps.org forum Nov 9, 2015 08:37 PM (Total replies: 72)

Hey Dennis, long time no speak.

Considering you changed your stance on Open Sauce, I'm hoping that one day if Halo Online becomes international, you will again change your mind and allow a section.

*waves ED flag*

Halo CE General Discussion » Can you guys keep this community inline? Nov 9, 2015 06:52 PM (Total replies: 25)

Oh hello again Halo Maps people.

Sadly not enough of this.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online May 3, 2015 10:47 AM (Total replies: 2780)

Flanker, hush - you're spamming up this thread.

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA Texture Requests Feb 20, 2014 01:21 PM (Total replies: 207)

Figured I would swing in here and throw a post on considering there has been some hilariously wild and stupid things said.

You all talk about how open source is so great, and will be the life line this community needs! Why do you even think having the source will accomplish that? You say its a small community, and somehow draw the conclusion that having source will do something with that, it won't magically double the community size, it won't even double the knowledge of current community.

Some fool said picking up a programming language is easy nowadays - I'm sorry, why on earth has it become easier to learn? Have we really evolved as humans in the past 20 years that we now all have the ability to learn it like we are in the Matrix?

As someone who has now been coding more than half my life, and Halo being the sole reason I picked up programming and made it into a career, Halo has a special place in my heart. I 'know' a whole multitude of languages, when I started back in the halo-mods.com and halomods.com days, none of us were spoon fed knowledge. We had to learn it and pick up the knowledge ourselves.

Id like to point out that I was the first to 'release' information on scripting (am still sorry Korn <3), and I got so much hate for it from both sides. Looking back I did it in the wrong way, and I take no credit for any scrap of scripting knowledge as it was totally from other people. Do people thank me for that? No. Are people still pissed? No they probably forgot about it. My point is, it is as important the delivery of information, as it is the fact you are getting information. I still feel Korn made a stupid mistake putting that heavily encrypted rar HS Bible out there, which he has said in the past had total BS content anyways.

I was the first person to be killed by an aimbot, I was the first person (besides Jahrain, aka creator) to have the aimbot source code. Did I think, omg I can give people knowledge? Of course not. I'm not saying map extraction tools are in any way comparable to an aimbot. What I'm saying is don't just assume open source will be the answer to all your problems.

tl;dr

In summary, I'm on the fence regarding giving out the source, you still need to learn it, I feel you all need to respect the creators wish, kind of exactly how you need to all respect the game makers wish not to have all the assets posted all over the internet, but thats another whole argument.

Shadowspartan works and makes things because he likes the challenge, he likes having to figure out things, he doesnt do it for all the glory, but he, like anyone else, wants credit where its due and that hasnt happened in the past. I got forced out of the community because people I respected stole things and ideas from me, it left a bad taste in my mouth and made me wonder why I bothered.

Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
I never realised that was a common misconception. The legal lingo is quite simple. Any work you submit to Microsoft's licensed software may be used, modified, or extracted for the sole purpose of use in Microsoft's games. I'm not entirely sure on whether or not Microsoft themselves then have the right to use your work, however, there is nothing in the licensing against ripping. Anything that you put into Halo may be used again by others in Halo.

Cough cough

Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.
Edited by Limited on May 29, 2012 at 04:10 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: TM_updates
Typical responses from HaloMaps users.

Typical responses from Modacity users.
You realise your post is dripping in irony?

I'd like to make it clear (as 00Hunter00) has poitned out, this is not about - "Oh I'm going to take you to court!" because as previously stated, it would be pointless.

This is to settle the common misconception that:
A. Microsoft takes all ownership and you have no rights to your work.
B. It says so in the EULA.

Both of those are completely untrue.
Edited by Limited on May 29, 2012 at 03:32 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » The Ghost Froom May 29, 2012 03:28 PM (Total replies: 134)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mator

Quote: --- Original message by: Jaz
So basically you're saying.... we won?

See, I can use your logic too! Ignorance brothers?

Lolwut.

No, I said you're a fool if you think I ever acknowledged you to be right or relinquished my position. Please, learn to think. There is no part of my post which suggests such inverted logic.

Just stop.

-Lock requested-
Edited by Mator on May 29, 2012 at 03:23 PM
To be honest no one here cares what you think of yourself, because clearly you are delusional. We only care about what we perceive you to be - which reading through this thread and the Modacity thread, is pretty much summed up as "having your head up your arse".

Please take a note that you have been 'forced' out this community, stay clear and go back to your 'stunting community', if you could really label it a community.
Edited by Limited on May 29, 2012 at 03:29 PM

Typical responses from HaloMaps users.

In terms of licencing, all you need to do is include a statement that says you do not wish for your work to be modified, ripped or distributed in any other format than the original map file, and you will be covered.
Except that by willing putting the IP into the Halo Game you have already assigned copyright over to the copyright covering the collective work and can not add additional licensing above and beyond the collective work. Enforcement of the copyright for that collective work then falls to the owner, or in this case Microsoft, and you are bound by their usage rules and licensing. And for the record their usage rules state that assets can be re-used within the games and in any (reasonable) manner that is non-commercial.

This all assumes that you can obtain a copyright for the item in the first place because no matter what it is if you specifically designed it to be used for or in the game then you can't obtain a copyright for it in the first place.

No...

I can claim independent right of ownership on my own respective work. I would enjoy separate, independent and unassailable rights. I'm assuming your lawyer told you the 3 rights of ownership, right to use, right to collect and own, and right of alienation (up to deletion).

I will still have rights in an exclusive manner even if my work is incorporated into a collective work.

I also would hold moral rights on my content.
Edited by Limited on May 29, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Edited by Limited on May 29, 2012 at 01:40 PM

In terms of licencing, all you need to do is include a statement that says you do not wish for your work to be modified, ripped or distributed in any other format than the original map file, and you will be covered. Edit: Protecting the map file with Steelix's application automatically shows intent that you wish the content to be secure and not ripped, so that will cover it too.

So yeah Higuy, when you said 'yeah read the EULA'...the EULA is in favour of anti-ripping without explicit permission from the content creator.
Edited by Limited on May 28, 2012 at 05:48 PM

Decompling the map to get to the tags therefore breaks this rule of the EULA, which breaks the license of having said map file. Which then, is breaking the copyright.
Your logic is flawed, the copyright protection is not broken or abrogated when the license is violated. The copyright still stands

You break the EULA license, which in turn means you are then not licenced to use the game and its materials (including the map file that has your 3d model in). Which if you then use it unlicensed, you are breaking the copyright law.
Quote: The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is licensed, not sold.

I still cant find where it says MS is given the copyright once you compile, anyone know where it is? It definitely wasnt in the EULA when you install HEK.
Quote: DennosIt is within copyright law where a person willingly assigns his copyrighted material to a collective work he assigns over the use for that collective work.

Yes, but they still hold the copyright for the files and they control the usage of the 3d model. I.e, only can be used in Halo and cannot be copied, distributed etc etc (outside of its current state = map file), like I said earlier...

As I would be providing the models, I would be classed as a supplier and I would have the rights.
Quote: DennisYou are only a supplier if you have a previous agreement with the company and you do not.

The EULA surrounds all the materials in the software product, therefore they have to agree to the EULA to use your content too, they break that EULA (in any way) and they also lose the license to your 3d model.

P.S. Dont see this as me arguing with you Dennis, more of a debate :)
Edited by Limited on May 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Jaz, they are included within the software product, and they are licenced under the EULA.
Edited by Limited on May 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

If I make a completely new 3d model, not copying any other design previously made. If I put that in Halo I still hold the copyright. I dont lose the copyright of that design

Quote: DennisThe assumption here is that it is clearly an original design and not a re-make of a previously copyrighted design like a new battle rifle or a Spartan model and that you can obtain a copyright to that material in the first place nor was it made specifically for use in the game.

If so then no you don't lose the original copyright, I never said you do, to that original design but as I have said before; by putting it into the game without obtaining a distribution license with Microsoft, you assign use of that copyright over to the Halo game and Microsoft and are therefore subject to the terms and conditions set by Microsoft for that game and thereby lose any control over its use within the Halo game; Including other people using that copyrighted material within the game. You as the copyright holder cannot sue Joe game user for copyright infringement within the scope of the Halo game when you willingly assigned your copyright over to use within the game.

Yes, we are assuming it is a brand new design and you are the sole owner of that IP (which in my case is true, as a UK citizen). You stated that you assign the use of that copyrighted material within the Halo game. Yes that is true, in its current state. I.e, tags within the map file.

Quote: Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE PRODUCT, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Decompling the map to get to the tags therefore breaks this rule of the EULA, which breaks the license of having said map file. Which then, is breaking the copyright.

I still cant find where it says MS is given the copyright once you compile, anyone know where it is? It definitely wasnt in the EULA when you install HEK.

Quote: . COPYRIGHT. All title and copyrights in and to the SOFTWARE PRODUCT (including but not limited to any images, photographs, animations, video, audio, music, text, and “applets” incorporated into the SOFTWARE PRODUCT), the accompanying printed materials, and any copies of the SOFTWARE PRODUCT are owned by Microsoft or its suppliers. The SOFTWARE PRODUCT is protected by copyright laws and international treaty provisions. Therefore, you must treat the SOFTWARE PRODUCT like any other copyrighted material.

As I would be providing the models, I would be classed as a supplier and I would have the rights.
Edited by Limited on May 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Time: Mon September 16, 2019 1:05 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website