A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: rentafence
About Contact
Last Post: Jun 19, 2017 10:15 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
rentafence has contributed to 324 posts out of 469511 total posts (.07%) in 5,121 days (.06 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » I have returned Jun 19, 2017 10:15 PM (Total replies: 74)

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Quote: --- Original message by: The Master
who are you

Exactly xD
Probably a HMF elder that is from before 2010

Logged in just to post for you.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 12, 2014 03:14 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
Quote: --- Original message by: rentafence

Quote:
These add directional information to Halo's lightmaps. Part of that means "just better" lighting, with light bouncing and accumulating more and more accurately; but the big deal is that they allow lightmaps to bring out normal maps on BSP textures.

This is a seemingly small addition with practically enormous consequences. You already know what normal mapping does with directional lighting on game objects -- allowing for the same detail on BSPs means we can bring the environents to a level of fidelity that was simply not feasible until now, at very little cost to your computer and almost no cost to our lighting process.

(For the technically minded, here's further information on what exactly is involved with this kind of tech)
Edited by Ifafudafi on Jul 12, 2014 at 01:34 AM

Wasn't this doable with Aether years ago? What advantage does implementing this via OS have over baking lightmaps in 3ds? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something fundamental here.
Edited by rentafence on Jul 12, 2014 at 02:39 AM

Aether wasn't using Directional Lightmapping, Aether was a tool used to create higher quality lightmaps. This is giving us access to use normal maps on BSPs as well as higher quality lightmaps. Half Life 2 uses directional lightmapping, take a look.

Yeah I totally understand that, but I figured if Aether allowed me total control over my lightmaps, then it seems like it would be trivial to bake the result of lighting on normal maps directly into the lightmaps.
Edited by rentafence on Jul 12, 2014 at 03:15 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Jul 12, 2014 02:38 AM (Total replies: 12123)

Quote:
These add directional information to Halo's lightmaps. Part of that means "just better" lighting, with light bouncing and accumulating more and more accurately; but the big deal is that they allow lightmaps to bring out normal maps on BSP textures.

This is a seemingly small addition with practically enormous consequences. You already know what normal mapping does with directional lighting on game objects -- allowing for the same detail on BSPs means we can bring the environents to a level of fidelity that was simply not feasible until now, at very little cost to your computer and almost no cost to our lighting process.

(For the technically minded, here's further information on what exactly is involved with this kind of tech)
Edited by Ifafudafi on Jul 12, 2014 at 01:34 AM

Wasn't this doable with Aether years ago? What advantage does implementing this via OS have over baking lightmaps in 3ds? Maybe I'm misunderstanding something fundamental here.
Edited by rentafence on Jul 12, 2014 at 02:39 AM

Take a look at the psd files that came in \data\levels\test\tutorial\bitmaps.

You're gonna wanna use the alpha channel to indicate where dirt/grass is. Those psd files should explain it if you take a look.

Once you compile your texture (make sure it compiles with explicit alpha) you can just make a copy of the tutorial_ground shader environment and replace the reference in it from the tutorial_ground texture to your new texture. That way you'll have all the masking/detail maps already set up for you in the shader.
Edited by rentafence on Jun 27, 2014 at 05:47 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo GUNGAME May 22, 2014 07:00 PM (Total replies: 16)

I recorded a game we played last night on Wizard for anyone who hasn't had a chance to play yet. The new server is really smooth. No lag at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JqcKi5EdqI0
Edited by rentafence on May 22, 2014 at 07:00 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Error with alpha channel on textures May 21, 2014 10:42 AM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
failed to open TIFF: not a TIFF file <==

Did you not read his post or any of the output in his image?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Work around Halo's crumby weather system May 21, 2014 09:21 AM (Total replies: 7)

The descriptions in the official hek tutorial are incredibly vague. Has anyone tried +weatherpoly yet? I don't understand what they're trying to say. Do you define a cluster using +weather poly and set weather for that cluster?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » So. May 15, 2014 07:50 PM (Total replies: 19)

I'm sure 2015 looks the same, but Max 2014 looks like this

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » So. May 15, 2014 03:13 PM (Total replies: 19)

There's no reason you can't use all the features of 3DS Max 2014 as long as your model is a sealed editable mesh before export.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Reach: Custom Edition Mar 20, 2011 01:35 PM (Total replies: 1552)

Hopy shink

Halo CE General Discussion » Video game addiction Apr 6, 2009 05:44 PM (Total replies: 73)

I have a hard time believing someone can be a video game "addict". I don't seen anyone accusing people of being work addicts because they work 9-5 every week, so how can you justify large periods of time spent doing something you like being an addiction? Granted, noone likes work, but you get the idea.

The terrain looks completely off from the real version.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Help compiling a gbxmodel Aug 26, 2008 11:54 PM (Total replies: 6)

So go look in your tags folder. It compiled.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Help compiling a gbxmodel Aug 26, 2008 11:35 PM (Total replies: 6)

tool model vehicles\phantom2\models

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » 3ds max trial expired Aug 22, 2008 02:21 AM (Total replies: 15)

Except that's not a crack, nor illegal.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » James Bond Aug 21, 2008 06:52 PM (Total replies: 20)

alright first of all, this is not the first James Bond mod. Spartan8 created runway and various other goldeneye maps. Second, the AK and whatever pistol that is supposed to be look horrible. thirdly, the biped you ripped from Oblivion looks nothing like James Bond. GG passing it off as yours.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » how to make a jms into a gbxmodel? Aug 13, 2008 11:56 PM (Total replies: 2)

tool model (directory)

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien wont start Aug 13, 2008 07:44 PM (Total replies: 7)

Quote: --- Original message by: Extinction_Rox
be more specific on the details like what os are you running

Use your head. He asked if it was only for Vista, or if he can use it. Common sense would say he must have XP or earlier, with XP being most likely.
Edited by rentafence on Aug 13, 2008 at 07:45 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » need help creating lighting in map Aug 13, 2008 04:52 PM (Total replies: 13)

Hey guys, just a hint: If his problem is that the lighting is BLUE, I would venture to guess it has something to do with his light shaders and NOT compiling lightmaps in the first place. >_>

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Portals Aug 13, 2008 04:51 PM (Total replies: 34)

Ah, I see now. Select triangle instead. See if that works. Editable poly is weird like that. Try creating the new face with editable mesh instead. That, or you have some vertices's/faces overlapping and it's being weird. I tend to switch back and forth between editable poly and mesh just for mesh's create polygon mode. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Time: Wed December 11, 2019 12:42 PM 203 ms.
A Halo Maps Website