A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Dusinator
About Contact
Last Post: May 8, 2009 05:42 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Dusinator has contributed to 146 posts out of 469463 total posts (.03%) in 4,260 days (.03 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » a10a pillar of autumn - cryobay disscusion Mar 27, 2009 03:04 PM (Total replies: 38)

AI spawning from the main menu is something to play with...

Wondering: can you still limit the number of available respawns for a set of AI? Can you have more than one AI respawn choice? (E.G. respawn marines only or respawn elites only.) Can you have certain AI respawn in the closest firing positions to the player? (I'm thinking for campaigns, where you can "call for" reinforcements to help you out.)

AI on demand... I like it.

Halo CE General Discussion » AI follow help Mar 2, 2009 07:16 PM (Total replies: 49)

Whenever I tried to do the AI follow thing, I always got some strange bug that eventually froze the AI, while repeatedly spawning them on top of each other. O_O

It was fun mowing them over in a hog for five minutes until the map lagged too much.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Can't join games on either Halo Sep 19, 2008 03:02 PM (Total replies: 6)

This is an odd development. Today, I am unable to join games on Halo and Halo: CE. I get to the part where it says "negotiating connection to server" but it never gets past that. After a little waiting, I get an error message. WTH? Is there an update needed or something? I've never had this problem before.

I ensured min/max diff counts were at 1. Still same problem in gameplay.

Respawn min/max 1 or 2 (depending on squad).
Respawn total: 0 (infinite)
Respawn once every 1-2 seconds

This is for the four squads I have in the encounter in my script. These are the only squads I have trouble with. (I've never had this bug before I started using the script.)

Probably unrelated, but I have the firing positions (attack, defend etc.) in these squads set to "A", the closest cluster of firing positions closest to the spawn points. That is the correct way to do it, right? (Making sure.)

Quote: (script startup h_f_p
(ai_follow_target_players alliedsquad)
)

I created a modded map with a script for the AI to "follow" me. However, I have noticed that in actual gameplay, the AI spawn multiple times and even on top of each other (making tidy pyramids and cheerleader would be jealous of). This is about ten or twenty times the number of AI I told to spawn in Sapien. In Sapien, there is no problem with the AI overspawning, just in gameplay.

The AI that overspawn are only the AI in the encounter I specified in my ai_follow_target_players script.

Compiling scripts in Sapien get no error messages.

It wouldn't be so bad if the AI all did my commands and everything, but after about five or ten minutes (long enough for the AI to get to hundreds at the current respawn rate) all the AI stop fighting each other and stop following me to anywhere... I think it's an overload of AI encounters or something.

Please help me stop my AI from procreating like bunnies. -_-

Sweet thanks.

Been tinkering around... realized that I have to have X firing positions in a spot (for each letter), where X is how many AI I want to follow me... I was surprised to see only several marines tag along at first. Right now I'm playing around with different firing positions on the map, or maybe I'll just go to a different map with this new technique in mind. Ah, to be happily tinkering without frustrating roadblocks! :)

Oddly, the main problem with my map now is that my marine AI seem to be multiplying like rabbits. I've gotten up to a hundred of them (specified 20, max) when they're not following me to the other base to be slaughtered. o_O Simple to look into... lol at least I never run out! =P

EDIT: That problem with my marine AI mysteriously multiplying? Seems that when they multiply, they stop caring about following me and fighting the elites. (Seems that the elites are happy to stop caring to fight the marines also.) Sapien tells me nothing of ordering an army of a hundred (I set the max marine count to 20...), so I don't know if it is a problem related to scripting or what. Now it's really irritating. -_-

Edited by Dusinator on Sep 5, 2008 at 04:43 PM

"scripts successfully compiled"
=D

Just another question. Do I need to add anything to the script if I want to do the same for my other encounter, elites?

For the AI encounter humans, here's what the script looks like now...

(script startup
(ai_follow_target_players humans)
)

I still get the error... :-\

I am still getting errors. I copied and pasted the suggested script into my .hsc:

(script startup
(ai_follow_target_players )
)

And here is the debug text:
Quote:
09.04.08 21:56:30 [bloogulch_squad line 1] i expected (script ): (script startup
09.04.08 21:56:30 recompiling scripts after scenarios were merged.
09.04.08 21:56:30 this left parenthesis is unmatched.: (script startup

Still unsure of what I'm doing wrong... I messed around with the script dozens of times but still kept getting errors. I've figured out the placements of firing positions and giving each letter squad, well, a letter... but the actual scripting is giving me problems now. The hs_doc has in it, and it seems that the debug.txt wants me to put in an encounter. What do I type there? Do I put in the AI name, or the firing position(s)? (Please post the example as it would go in the script.)

Heh, I just know that I'm missing something very simple...

Less important questions. 1) Can I have move positions for the AI or would that mess it up?
2) Would I need to change the script if I did this for team index 1 and team index 0 AI?

(What I'm trying to do for starters is a basic setup in blood gulch for personal use and experimentation... humans at red base, elites at blue base. I want to take my human squad over to the elites or I can switch teams and march on the humans with my elite squad... but I want the other team to be moving around naturally when I'm not on their team with them following me.)

Ok... so what I basically understand is that I go into Sapien, and in my humans AI instance I make 26 empty squads according to your specifications.

But what I don't understand is how I group firing positions... eh, I'll mess around in Sapien a little. I think I know what to do. I'll redo my firing positions first...

I'll try it. Probably will get irritating going through the long tool and Halo CE load again and again if I fail though. =P

UPDATE:
Ok... I'm not sure what I did incorrectly. At all. :-\

Here's what I get, in Sapien and in tool:

recompiling scripts after scenarios were merged.
i expected "script" or "global".: ai_follow_target_players>---<

I put the .hsc file into data\levels\test\bloodgulch and named it bloodgulch_squad.hsc (name of the modded map I'm working on). Still can't figure it out. Argh, why am I always unable to get things right the first time? Help!
Edited by Dusinator on Sep 2, 2008 at 09:20 AM

Hey all, I'm getting back into halo mapping after a few months off from my beginning attempts. I've been watching the forums anonymously (specifically stalking the semi-official WIP page...). Since I absolutely stink at making my own original maps (I suspect I should try learning with 3dsmax instead of gmax...), I am modding some of the original Halo maps for personal use (at this time).

I understand that I asked this question some months ago, but the thread is long buried by now. I have the scripting tutorial and the .txt with the scripts in it, but I am a little confused about how to type the script. Here's what I am specifically trying to do:

Make allied AI follow a player.
Scenario:
Marines, a team index of 0 (red team). They are called "marine_armored assault rifle".

I have the following script to use, but don't know what exactly to type into it.

(ai_follow_target_players )

Since it is folly to play AI online, only one person will be playing this map, if that makes a difference (I think it might).

What goes where? Once I receive and understand this example, I'm sure that I can apply it to the second type of marines and for the elites on the team index 1 (blue) team. The tutorial seems pretty clear on how to add a script to a map, so hopefully I won't need any help doing that. Thanks!

Halo CE General Discussion » An interesting thought... May 27, 2008 11:32 AM (Total replies: 3)

Uhm, have you by any chance watched the latest Indiana Jones movie? Just wondering...

And, on whether or not I actually believe in aliens... I am undecided. I'm caught in the paradox that just because you don't see something does not mean it does not exist, but if you do see it then it does exist, no doubt... so there is always the probability of existence for practically anything from fairies and leprechauns and bigfoot to... whatever. Just because you haven't personally witnessed something (personally, not on TV), like the dropping of the ball in Times Square, the Great Barrier Reefs, the Eifel Tower in Paris... does not mean it does not exist.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bitterbanana's 3rd person POV May 27, 2008 10:51 AM (Total replies: 9)

I use this while playing Halo... it really helps me play better, since it gives me a nice view of my surroundings. I don't like to use it with the pistol or sniper, somehow it is harder to shoot with those weapons in 3rd person. Using it with the shotgun and RL is awesome though. Anyone else use it?

Halo CE General Discussion » need feedback on a base I am modeling May 7, 2008 12:24 PM (Total replies: 23)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: selentic
I wasnt aware I was obligated to sugar coat the truth.
Edited by selentic on May 7, 2008 at 09:37 AM
Not up on your social skills I see.

I think sugar coating the truth is only allowed in the Oreos thread currently...

On topic, I agree that the base needs better texturing, and it does look boxy. I couldn't model anything remotely close to that myself currently, but that doesn't stop me from saying it's ugly.
Ugly with potential.

We don't all hold the same looking glass. Everyone will always have their differing point of view. I, for instance, think anyone that can model some of what you call dumb maps are practically gods at halo mapmaking because I have so little experience. I have the understanding that few of these are actually good maps, but that still doesn't change my perspective lol.

Thanks, hopefully shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Edit: tags work now... I had to go through and create directories and copy stuff into them. I'm sure there was an alternate way of doing it without the extra folders but whichever way, they work great now yayness.
Edited by Dusinator on May 2, 2008 at 01:54 PM

I downloaded a few scenery tags from this site, and placed them in the appropiate tags folder. Unfortunately, when I went to open the tags in Sapien, it told me that the tags couldn't be loaded properly and that I should contact the nearest bungie programmer (lol). Is there something else I should do to make my tags usable other than downloading them and placing them into my tags\scenery folder or what? Thanks!

...P.S. if it makes a difference I downloaded the icefields base and the superbase tags, neither of which work. This isn't a rant against those tags (would be kind of hard to get a good user rating if they were un-usable), just an add-on to this post to see if it makes a difference...

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Problem. Apr 29, 2008 01:53 PM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: RougeSpartan414
Well, I can't exactly tell you because it hapens at random times. But I'll try.
1. Opening the texture list.
2. Setting up Chimp.
3. Linking the frame and skybox.

Odd. Never happened to me before. If you aren't saving your model and have to start over each time, I would recomend saving it every few steps so as to improve your chance of getting to the end and exporting it...

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien: what causes this? Apr 29, 2008 09:24 AM (Total replies: 27)

Problem (hopefully forever and through eternity) solved.

I went through a tutorial again, made a plain, flat map, did all that other stuff, and got to Sapien.

Once again, it was unable to teleport camera to starting BSP. I was left with a massive, purple, octagon. Dissapointed but bored, I decended down to the purple octagon. To my surprise, after about 10-15 seconds at x60 speed a postage stamp of a square appeared... I got closer and it was my map! It made me happy lol.

I tried this with another map that had the purple octagon, but didn't find my map and eventually couldn't even tell that I was making any progress decending.

A shaders file was not required for me to find my map in Sapien.

So after all this, I can now say I am the resident expert on getting your map to show in Sapien... or not. At least I know enough to help someone else...!

[/long_winded_post_that_reminds_me_of_how_my_mother_talks]

Time: Wed November 20, 2019 2:59 AM 312 ms.
A Halo Maps Website