A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Fulsam
About Contact
Last Post: May 6, 2017 09:03 PM
Interests: Making the -BLAM- engine do what I want it to.
Your Age: 20
What Games do you play: Doom, GTA, Half Life, Duke Nukem 3D, Halo (Der)
Importing Didney.wrl...

Post Statistics
Fulsam has contributed to 86 posts out of 469529 total posts (.02%) in 4,237 days (.02 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Fudd Shader Tool and JMS+ May 6, 2017 09:03 PM (Total replies: 12)

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: cippozzo
Is there a jms exporter for blender?

@Fulsam

As of now, for this particular tool, no. I will look into porting it ASAP, though (If the OP's cool with it).

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Mar 29, 2017 01:02 PM (Total replies: 11482)

Getting bones to work was a pain, but I'm not dead.

Just got vertex weight importing into blender, so now models can be posed immediately upon import. No extra setup. All I need now is a blender-friendly animation tag importer/exporter.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Jan 27, 2017 12:02 AM (Total replies: 11482)

Still working on this importer for blender. Starting to get bone importing working, but the final alignment steps are stumping me. Blender's API makes me want to throw things at times.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Oct 25, 2016 12:06 AM (Total replies: 11482)

Messing around with some a10 geometry.

Edited by Fulsam on Oct 25, 2016 at 12:08 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Oct 22, 2016 03:26 PM (Total replies: 11482)

I haven't looked into it yet (Just working on basic importing/exporting for now), but if enough people need it, I don't see why not.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Oct 22, 2016 01:43 AM (Total replies: 11482)

Working on some more blender stuff. Taking a look at Cyboryxmen's JMS exporter, and trying to find out why it butchers UVs. Other than that, BSPs exported with it seem to work ingame. Or at least my standard test BSP does.

Quote: --- Original message by: S12Spark
Ok, so I'm obviously not going to purchase 3ds max anytime soon, so it's either going to be Gmax or Blender, but, are there any animation exporters or model exporters/importers for blender? Is blender even a viable option?

Time to shamelessly plug my work here.

As of now, Blender is not a viable option. However, I've been working towards changing that with the HBT toolset. So far, I've got a model importer working, which can import nodes, markers, UVs and more. You can learn more about it at http://halobt.blogspot.com/, as well as try it out for yourself.

As for exporting, the only thing we've got so far is Cyboryxmen's experimental .JMS exporter, the thread for which can be found here: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=42486. I've personally never gotten it to work correctly, though I'm reverse-engineering it (Along with bluestreak) in an effort to make my own as a part of HBT. You'll know on the blog when that gets anywhere. It shouldn't be long; .JMS exporters, from what I've gathered so far, are actually pretty simple.

As for animation importing and exporting...you're SOL. For now, at least. I've definitely got plans to reverse-engineer bluestreak's animation importer, but I've got a day job, and don't always have time to stare at code. I will definitely work harder on it if the demand for a blender-only, max-independent workflow increases.

Short answer: It's not viable, but it could be soon.
Edited by Fulsam on Jul 13, 2016 at 02:22 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. Jun 19, 2016 04:19 PM (Total replies: 54)

For 0.7, there's going to be a major focus on animating needs. So, things like Vertex weighting and bones.

That and cleaning the code up. I can't help but feel like it's a mess. Such is life when you start with no prior python experience.
Edited by Fulsam on Jun 19, 2016 at 04:19 PM

EDIT: Working link, for that one guy searching for this in 2019

http://www.mediafire.com/file/1raqkhxikgzj0vm/gbximport0.6_.zip
Edited by Fulsam on Feb 11, 2017 at 12:15 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. Jun 18, 2016 09:56 PM (Total replies: 54)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/mi921xyq91pde80/GbxImport%282%29.zip

It's out.

Here are the changes/fixes:

-Fixed user being able to set node/marker size to negative values.
-Fixed tilde (~) being out of range of the string reading function.
-Added marker importing functionality.
-Added color selection for markers and nodes.
-Added region/permutation selection.
-Added LOD selection.
-Added text field showing the name of the currently loaded model.
-UI elements now grey out when their corresponding importing option is disabled.

As usual, hit me up with any bugs or errors you may have.
Edited by Fulsam on Jun 18, 2016 at 09:57 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. Jun 17, 2016 11:04 PM (Total replies: 54)

After over a month of radio silence, I'm happy to announce that region/permutation selection is now working.

I decided to go back to the drawing board and imagine a new UI for region/perm selection, rather than mimic bluestreak. Here, you can choose which regions you want to import by ticking the checkbox, and choose the permutation of that region via the dropdown menu, allowing you to mix and match the way you want a model imported.

I don't want to say "SOON!" anymore after my last promise gave you a month of absolute silence, but getting this done brings me that much closer towards releasing 0.6.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] May 10, 2016 12:20 PM (Total replies: 11482)

Made a concept sketch of a door for a map based on a Marathon-class cruiser.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. May 7, 2016 12:34 PM (Total replies: 54)

In the immediate future, Version 0.6 is about to drop (Really soon, actually. Like, a day or so.) which will add features like markers and region/permutation selection.

Later on, 0.7 will add bone importing.

Once the importer does pretty much everything the maxscript version does, I'll consider it finished (aside from bugfixes, and maybe adding xbox model support).

Once all the critical features are out, I'm going to start work on a .JMS exporter. I've already taken a good look at what's involved, and it seems to be easy enough. I should've started with this first in hindsight, but I decided to go with the gbxmodel importer since NONE existed.

After that, I might also look at animation and collision importers. The big eventual goal is to have everything you'd ever need in blender for halo modding in one handy little addon. Hence the name Halo Blender Tools.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] May 4, 2016 11:28 PM (Total replies: 11482)

Marker importing works

Bigger image

And you can change the color of them before import if you so desire.
Edited by Fulsam on May 4, 2016 at 11:31 PM
Edited by Fulsam on May 4, 2016 at 11:34 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. May 3, 2016 01:49 PM (Total replies: 54)

Thanks for letting me know. I'll get that fixed ASAP.

EDIT: Done. My stupid a** posted the link to 0.4, which I took down because it was obsolete.
Edited by Fulsam on May 3, 2016 at 01:53 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. May 1, 2016 09:44 PM (Total replies: 54)

Bit of an update, I put together a blogger page for the Halo Blender Tools (Guess that's what I'm calling it now)

http://halobt.blogspot.com/

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. Apr 19, 2016 11:35 PM (Total replies: 54)

Not at the moment. I might look into making something on Blogger for it, though. I'll post the link if I do.

If anyone has a recommendation for a better service, I'd like to hear it.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Blender .gbxmodel importer. Apr 17, 2016 10:43 PM (Total replies: 54)

Within the next week or so, I'll be making v0.6 available for download.

This version will add the following:

-Marker importing
-Region selection
-Permutation selection
-LOD selection
-A text field telling you which .gbxmodel is currently loaded.
Edited by Fulsam on Apr 17, 2016 at 10:44 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Apr 7, 2016 08:07 PM (Total replies: 11482)

That, and the size was user-adjustable for both (Though 20cm and 10cm are the default values for Nodes and Markers respectively).
Edited by Fulsam on Apr 7, 2016 at 08:09 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Activities Apr 7, 2016 08:02 PM (Total replies: 50)

I guess I'm currently working to develop a Blender-only workflow for Halo:CE modelling (and maybe mapping, eventually).

I felt like getting back into HCE mapping a while ago, but I didn't want to go through obtaining Max again for my own reasons. I'd gotten really used to Blender since I worked on Half-life 2 mods previously, so naturally I wanted to keep using it.

I initially tried the whole "Import and Export with Gmax, model in Blender" deal, but that was WAY too clumsy. At the time, just getting a Chief biped (So I could have a scale reference for my maps) into Blender involved copy/pasting listener data into a text file, and you had to do this in sections. It was ridiculous. It was already ridiculous that I had to have TWO modelling programs on my computer.

So I now have a script that'll import a Chief biped (And any other .gbxmodel that you throw at it) into blender, but I still can't map because it's now my responsibility to maintain this script, and add more functionality (Like rigging) to it.

Such is life.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Apr 7, 2016 07:40 PM (Total replies: 11482)

If people care enough, it's totally doable to add an option to change the type of primitives the nodes and markers are imported as. But for now, I'm just trying to mimic Bluestreak's importer, which imported them as spheres (Though the spheres were different colors for each type, IIRC).

Time: Mon December 16, 2019 5:37 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website