A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: LlamaMaster
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 14, 2012 06:20 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
LlamaMaster has contributed to 50 posts out of 469458 total posts (.01%) in 4,166 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Simba (updated) Mar 14, 2012 06:20 PM (Total replies: 35)

For anybody who thinks the lightmaps looks like bland garbage...they do, on your screen. I just realized how differently my monitor was configured compared to everybody else's. Here is a post with side by side comparisons:

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?24394-WIP-Simba-(updated)&p=615899&viewfull=1#post615899
Edited by LlamaMaster on Mar 14, 2012 at 06:20 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Simba (updated) Mar 13, 2012 10:34 PM (Total replies: 35)

Eh, maniac, could you delete that post? It's missing a bunch of pictures, the spoilers, and general formatting. You made it so people think that foliage system is part of the map. That wasn't intended.

Quote: Awesome foliage system. Been wanting to see that for a while...

It would have been awesome, and I had everything planned out, but the system is a scenery object, and scenery objects are illuminated at a constant brightness throughout the object. This is hardcoded into Halo's engine, and it ruined the lightmaps. For example, a grass cluster that is intersecting a shadow boundary would be illuminated within the boundary at the same brightness as the part directly in the sun. This, along with a bunch more problems regarding lighting, made it impossible to implement for the map without it looking like utter garbage. However, all the files for the system are going to be included in the data set, so if somebody can make it look decent, then they are free to.

Quote: Looks nice, I'll look foreword to it. Love the scenery.

Thanks!

Quote:
A self-fulfilling prophecy of endless possibility

NEW Posted: Today @ 10:11 PM [Quote Post] [Reply To Post] Msg. 5 of 5
Have to admit, not entirely certain what's happening in that second large image, but I am loving the scenery in this. Makes me think of Riven/Myst.

I had a circlejerk with myself one night to try to see how many polys I could fit into a Halo map. I got bored at around 2 million, which is what you see in that picture. The two large pictures are NOT part of the map.

Can you guys tell me if the lighting looks good on your screen? I have some concerns about monitor brightness and gamma levels. It looks good on my screen, but I don't know how it looks on other people's.

Edit: Concerns confirmed, I looked at the screenshots on my laptop screen and they look awful.
Edited by LlamaMaster on Mar 14, 2012 at 02:03 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Simba (updated) Mar 13, 2012 07:25 PM (Total replies: 35)

I don't want to learn how to format my thread to this forum, so here is a link to my thread on modacity:

http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?24394-WIP-Simba-(updated)

-LlamaMaster

Halo CE General Discussion » Usertool lightmap UV import issue Jul 3, 2011 07:48 PM (Total replies: 1)

I've been trying to make custom lightmap UV's, but every time I import them with usertool they get screwed up. Here are pictures of what I mean:

I already tried exporting the custom lightmap UV's with 3DS MAX 8 and 3DS MAX 2009, but it didn't make any difference. From what I can tell the issue lies within usertool itself, but I don't know what to do about it. Any help is appreciated.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Vehicles and Poly's...how many? Jul 15, 2010 05:47 PM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
i guess maybe 10,000-17,846
let me know if i win, k.

It may be possible to have that many, but it isn't smart. Unless you are making something really epic, it's a good idea to never go above 10,000 (and that's pushing it). Generally 5,000 faces should be more than enough. Also, there is no minimum amount, but obviously you want to use enough so it doesn't look like crap.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Glowing textures on scenery Jul 15, 2010 12:56 PM (Total replies: 8)

As I thought, self-illumination didn't work because I was just doing it wrong. In the end though it looked horrible, so I moved on to another method. I used a shader_transparent_chicago tag to prevent my bitmaps from darkening with the surrounding lightmaps. I tried to use lens flares, but in the end they didn't work/matter. Setting the "framebuffer blend function" to "add" brightened the texture, so it's not a problem anymore.

TL;DR version: I worked around the problem, and was just explaining my process so future people would know.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Glowing textures on scenery Jul 14, 2010 01:56 PM (Total replies: 8)

I could, but I would have to place *alot* of them for it not to look awful. That's why I want to do it through shaders.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Glowing textures on scenery Jul 14, 2010 01:09 PM (Total replies: 8)

I already said that...

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Glowing textures on scenery Jul 14, 2010 12:57 AM (Total replies: 8)

As the title of this thread suggest, I am trying to give a texture on my scenery model a general glow. From what I've seen so far, lens flares on shader_environment tags don't work on scenery models, despite being the only shader with that capability (from what I can see, anyway). Since that didn't work, I then tried to use a solid green multipurpose map in a shader_model tag for uniform self-illumination. That didn't work either, but I'm not sure whether I'm just doing it wrong or if it's just not possible.

TL;DR: How make scenery glow through shaders?
Edited by LlamaMaster on Jul 14, 2010 at 01:02 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Blitzkrieg won't work Jul 2, 2010 01:17 AM (Total replies: 2)

I love you, that worked perfectly.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Blitzkrieg won't work Jul 1, 2010 11:00 PM (Total replies: 2)

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/2092/70792050.jpg

I used to be able to use it just fine, but one day it just decided to break. Reinstalling max didn't help at all, so I have no idea what to do. Also, before anybody says "use Bluestreak," i've tried, and it screws up my models (which Blitzkrieg didn't do when it worked).

Halo CE General Discussion » Revelations Nov 18, 2009 11:29 PM (Total replies: 65)

Best egg ever tbh.

Quote: I want to make a map filled with lolicon and upload it.

I'd "play" it.
Edited by LlamaMaster on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:31 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Whatever you want to call it Sep 18, 2009 04:51 PM (Total replies: 31)

Quote: --- Original message by: Headhunter09
The terrain looks like its massive, but then its really small. The map should be scaled up majorly, or the terrain changed. Just saying.

I reject your argument and substitute my logic:

Big maps aren't fun. Beaver creek is fun. Beaver creek is small. Therefore small maps are fun.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Whatever you want to call it Sep 17, 2009 06:03 PM (Total replies: 31)

Quote: I also assume no air vehicles because i saw the top is just completely flat or are you going to put a cap on the height you can go?

No vehicles period; the map is too small.
Edited by LlamaMaster on Sep 17, 2009 at 06:04 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Whatever you want to call it Sep 17, 2009 10:35 AM (Total replies: 31)

Quote: You still don't think much about uving your map as you model. I doubt this will ever be uved well because of it. The map looks fun though. Get a stable build so we can play on it.

I have no idea how to UV/model at the same time, and now that the model is finished....I have no idea where to start. This is going to suck.

Quote: But whats with the ladder/ramp?

I just needed a way to get up there, and that was the easiest/best looking thing I could do without changing the terrain.

Quote: Psssssh, unwrapping. Just give it one Box modifier and you're good to go :P

OH YEAH THAT WILL WORK!.... ;_;

Quote: holy freakin poly! lol

portalportalportalportalportalportalportal

High poly indeed. I've always hated Halo's terrain, so I wanted to push the polys as far as I could without Halo complaining. Which I almost accomplished. If portals give me trouble, i'll just make one exact portal over the "hanger" to stop the clipping.

Quote: This map will have a custom weapon tagset?
Or custom Vehicle tagsets?

No and no.

Quote: :o make it opensource

Well if you look on modacity...

Quote: Yea and so will about 50 other noobs. Only open source it if you want to, don't let someone convince you to or not to.

Which is why I didn't post it here. Anybody can download the model if they want, but don't screw with it/release it in any form.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Whatever you want to call it Sep 16, 2009 09:36 PM (Total replies: 31)

"Holy ****, another WIP that won't get released!?"

Welp, I'm hoping to change that, but I might need a little help.

There is alot more to the map than I took renders of. Everything is about 20,000 polys, and i've already got it ingame. There is some minor clipping when you stand on the above ground base facing out, but that's only because it's rendering ~20,000 faces at once without any portals. Easily fixed.

Everything is fully modeled, but I really have no idea where to start with texturing. That's where (hopefully) somebody will come in and keep me from making all look like utter ****. If not, i'll just do whatever I can to release it, because god knows we don't need another unreleased map.

Edit: Eh? Pictures don't work? I'll fix them....
Edited by LlamaMaster on Sep 16, 2009 at 09:37 PM
Edited by LlamaMaster on Sep 16, 2009 at 09:41 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Radiosity won't save Sep 14, 2009 09:03 PM (Total replies: 10)

I said I did in the second sentence....

Anyway, it turns out chrisk's first post was right. I just didn't think it would take 40 minutes to save something that took my old computer 2 seconds to do. :|

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Radiosity won't save Sep 13, 2009 01:51 PM (Total replies: 10)

I didn't.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Radiosity won't save Sep 13, 2009 01:20 PM (Total replies: 10)

09.13.09 11:53:57 sapien pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
09.13.09 11:53:57 reference function: _write_to_error_file
09.13.09 11:53:57 reference address: 401b13
09.13.09 11:53:57 Couldn't read map file './sapienbeta.map'
09.13.09 11:53:57 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
09.13.09 11:53:57 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
09.13.09 11:53:57 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes
09.13.09 11:53:59 WARNING: 1 clusters in structure_bsp levels\test\codename-kitten\simba have no background sound or sound environment.
09.13.09 11:53:59 local player 0, weapon (0x0), deleted unexpectedly
09.13.09 11:54:01 \halopc\haloce\source\rasterizer\dx9\rasterizer_dx9_widgets.c(959): D3DERR_DEVICELOST in hr (code=-2005530520, error=)
09.13.09 11:54:01 ### ERROR rasterizer_widget_get_occlusion_test_result failed
09.13.09 11:54:04 \halopc\haloce\source\rasterizer\dx9\rasterizer_dx9_widgets.c(959): D3DERR_DEVICELOST in hr (code=-2005530520, error=)
09.13.09 11:54:04 ### ERROR rasterizer_widget_get_occlusion_test_result failed

And I waited 20 minutes while it tried to save.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Radiosity won't save Sep 12, 2009 09:55 PM (Total replies: 10)

No, it just freezes when I try to save the radiosity.

Time: Sat November 16, 2019 8:34 PM 422 ms.
A Halo Maps Website