A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Garanas
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 6, 2011 10:57 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Garanas has contributed to 101 posts out of 467817 total posts (.02%) in 3,629 days (.03 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Packaging Error Apr 6, 2011 10:57 AM (Total replies: 8)

That makes the packager crash O.o?! well, I've fixed the problem a while ago, but still thanks for answering ;), maybe someone else who comes here will have benefits from it.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » "Dead Spots" In geometry Mar 19, 2011 09:10 AM (Total replies: 2)

You mean, where where there is an open edge?

Going to try to fix it, thanks.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » "Dead Spots" In geometry Mar 19, 2011 04:30 AM (Total replies: 2)

Okay, this will probably be the last question.
I've having some strange dead spots in the geometry, meaning: You can walk over it, but bullets and grenades and things like that, go through it. While on other places (same shader) it doesn't.

Is this a bug in Halo 2 or?!

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Water Mar 19, 2011 03:01 AM (Total replies: 8)

a +media is fog, or weather effects. I need a +portal, I think.

So, I did. Media made my entire map go foggy, and +portal gave me a puzzle of portal sections, but now I understand ;)

The water though, if I add the collision only just above of the water, then you will just make you able to stand on the water right? Which isn't the thing I want, and when I place it halfway, the splash effect won't be at the right position, and can look strange when you walk around it.

Any other things that might help with the splash?

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Water Mar 18, 2011 02:33 PM (Total replies: 8)

Okay, so another thing with water:

I right now have really good looking water, I love it. But, when you shoot on it, you see no "splash" effect.
I've seen on
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?22372-Kills-Alone-s-notes-for-Halo-2-Vista-Mapping

how to make that splash effect, only problem is is that my water isn't like: water shader, 2 cm down ground.
There is like 1 elite in between, meaning I can't do it like it says there.

Is there another way, without collisions of the characters, to make the splash effect?
In the meanwhile, I will try to make it myself too.

Another things is, is that I'm using Planar_Fog to replicate that the water becomes "deeper", now it said at the bottom side (look at the picture) that it can make sound when you are in the fog plane, with a sound environment. And when you enter / exit it.
But whatever I do, it just doesn't want to make a sound!

And those 2 values , Damping and Gain is always going back to 0 when I save it.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Really annoying 3ds max problem. Mar 17, 2011 10:23 AM (Total replies: 2)

It isn't how max just works, I'm using 3ds already for 3 years, and before yesterday (or the day before, not sure) it started doing this, because of something I pressed I think, but I don't know what.

Thanks for your help anyway.

EDIT: Found it.

O Adaptive Degradation Toggle

Shows objects as boxes while moving, rotating, zooming on viewport to increase viewport performance. I hardly ever use this one, but its one of those darn keys you may hit by accident and wonder what the heck is going on with your objects.

(source: http://www.3dvalley.com/tutorials/3d-studio-max-hotkeys-and-mouse-essentials )

Pressing O fixed my problem.

Again, thanks for taking the effort to post.
Edited by Garanas on Mar 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Really annoying 3ds max problem. Mar 16, 2011 01:45 PM (Total replies: 2)

Okay, so I've hit some keys on accident and now I've got something really annoying, when I rotate around an object, or move around it (without rotation) you will see the bounding box of the object, but not the object itself (geometry) which is really annoying.

What is the fix to this?
I did search in the help file, but it didn't end up quite well.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Packaging Error Mar 16, 2011 01:09 PM (Total replies: 8)

So the bitmap position is up to yourself, good :p

Well, the Fresnel bitmap wasn't correct, or something I don't know. It did had a texture on it, and the settings seemed fine, but the water doesn't look different with or without the fresnel map, so no worries required :)

I'm going to check out those shader collections though :p, thanks for that ;)

Are you still actively working on Halo 2?

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Halo 2 tool ++ (Kornman00) Mar 15, 2011 12:37 PM (Total replies: 1)

I've saw this, and immediately downloaded it. But I couldn't find out how it works, I mean like:
What extra's is it having actually?! And how to use those?

I hope someone can tell me this.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Packaging Error Mar 15, 2011 02:58 AM (Total replies: 8)

Skip everything below, I've found it. It was the Fresnel map, but why?
I'm using the default ones,and I even used the one that you gave me.

What does a fresnel map do? Something with reflections, I've readed somewhere.
(what is the right verb for readed in the way I just used it a line ago?)

I do have the water definitions, and I'm using my own colours with the resources (That won't matter I hope), and I've set the water shader name to water_pool, if it helps.

What type can you use under refraction maps?
(what type of bitmap)?

--

Okay, so a little bit more detailed:

adding bitmaps...92 55.96% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 24354 43520
adding bitmaps...93 54.07% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 23532 43520
adding bitmaps...94 53.26% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 23180 43520
adding bitmaps...95 53.82% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 23421 43520
adding bitmaps...96 55.49% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 24148 43520
adding bitmaps...97 57.69% scenarios\bitmaps\water\water 25106 43520
adding bitmaps...98 83.31% scenarios\bitmaps\nameless\reflect_map 145585 174760

adding bitmaps...99 38400.15%

this is what happens in the packager, it crashes (I think) when it is trying to package the Fresnel bitmap, which is a default one (the one that you gave me).

without the water shader, it does want to package.

I don't understand a single thing of the files you send me, this is where you put up the water_pool.tif file, but I don't understand why it has to be there, and not just in the second one?

\data\scenarios\bitmaps\multi\halo\yourmap
\data\scenarios\bitmaps\yourmap

I'm sorry for all those questions =/
Edited by Garanas on Mar 15, 2011 at 03:15 AM

Edited by Garanas on Mar 15, 2011 at 11:54 AM

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Water triangles missing?! Mar 15, 2011 02:51 AM (Total replies: 2)

I'm using ?!, for double sided and render only. But the double sided isn't required, so I'm going to put that away and see what happens.

What do you mean by a portal issue?
Are there any?

Edit: I've just readed your other post, and added them back again.
Edited by Garanas on Mar 15, 2011 at 03:00 AM

I got this one fixed, I've made a new plane, added the water shader to it and kept it apart from the main bsp, linked to the b_levelroot and added % infront of the object name and this seem to have fixed it. Not the other problem though, in my other post.

Thanks for helping me ;)
Edited by Garanas on Mar 15, 2011 at 03:09 AM

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Multiple scenarios? Mar 14, 2011 01:05 PM (Total replies: 10)

I don't think you can have 2 scenarios on 1 bsp, but there is an option to have several bsp's on 1 scenario, I don't know if it works but,

open up the .scenario, and then there are 2 palettes:
Structure BSPS, and then New / Add
SCenario Cluster Data and then New / Add.

I have no clue if it works or not and how, but maybe it helps you.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Water triangles missing?! Mar 14, 2011 12:06 PM (Total replies: 2)

Okay, so second question:

In Sapien the water geometry is doing... strange.
Take a look at the picture below.

You might think already now: Dude, you just need to fill that up in 3ds max and it is fixed, but believe me the water is going past that wall for another meter or something like that, and it is just that triangle (with 4 others) that are missing, but at the edge (you can't see this in the picture) it has a small line where it does show the water again, but not at the rest of the face.
I've tried some things, but nothing worked.

Why is this?!

Edit: I've just put a different shader on the water geometry, then it doesn't show those missing triangles. So, it has to be with the shader and probably connected to my first question, about the packaging.
Edited by Garanas on Mar 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Packaging Error Mar 14, 2011 11:58 AM (Total replies: 8)

Okay, so I've been having a really strange error lately, and this is what it is:

My map works fine in Sapien, everything looks great and shiny and then I want to test it in Halo 2, so: package it. And I did, it ran good it came to the bitmaps and then it crashed ;(, I found the problem which is my Water shader but I don't know what is wrong with it, it isn't missing anything and it is based on the Vindication watershader that you can download from Halomaps.org

Can anyone help me with this?

EDIT: This is my shader:

I know, the distance_attentuation shouldn't be there, and it normally isn't but that was just a test to see if it did anything (which it didn't)
Edited by Garanas on Mar 14, 2011 at 02:56 PM

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Halo 2 Vista Sapien Feb 3, 2011 01:41 PM (Total replies: 8)

Well, I don't think if it will matter, but Halo 2 is ment for Vista, not for XP.
Meaning, running a service pack that isn't for Vista, won't help make Sapien work.

Nothing more I can say at the moment, sorry.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » waterfall Jul 19, 2009 12:44 PM (Total replies: 6)

well, you can animte pictures. i think thats how they do it, like in Beach Battle or something.
Onlt that huge Water smoke thingy, no clue on that.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Unable to find shaders Jul 19, 2009 12:42 PM (Total replies: 1)

could you let me see where you did put the shaders, and the Material slots in 3ds max?
then i can maybe know the problem.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Gravemind 1.5 and other Programs Jul 19, 2009 12:40 PM (Total replies: 5)

i have that error sometimes also, with other programs.
just click contineu and start playing it shouldn't really matter.

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Fire... Jul 19, 2009 12:35 PM (Total replies: 2)

there is a file to do that inside Sapien, let me find it for you...

EDIT:

here i have it already:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo 2 Map Editor\tags\scenarios\effects\objects\vehicles\uberchassis\burning_car.scenery

This is the fire
here is some smoke:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo 2 Map Editor\tags\scenarios\effects\scenery\smoke

here are multiple choses, so i wont put them all in.

first check them, then answer.
Edited by Garanas on Jul 19, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Halo 2 Vista Map Design / Technical » Map problems... Jul 19, 2009 12:34 PM (Total replies: 0)

Look people, i have some questions i really really need an answer on!
i have my map, its not tottaly finished yet but it is getting close, it is an island that is surrounded by water (duhuh).
Here are some pictures, Grey = island blue = water.

Yes, there are almost no textures on it. But now the Questions:
  • 1 - because its an island, i need water. so i tryed some stuff, but it did't worked out! any help with a water shader would be very very helpfull. also with the waves.

• 2 - I think this is stupid to ask, but if you have your water, the Plane( if you use a plane) must it be that big so that you wil never see where it ends, or is there another way to do that?

• 3 - This i already asked, but it did't helped me. How can you let 2 Textures (Bitmaps) fade into each other? i mean, that it goes from sand to grass smoothyl, instead you see those strange lines that on the one side its sand and then all of a sudden grass.

I know, i ask maybe alot but i really want to have some help with this.
I have been working on that island quit sometime now, i learned alot but i would like it to finish it as a Halo 2 map.

Like i sayd, it isn't completed yet but i asked this now so that you guys can answer me quicker. If you even answer me =D

Time: Tue October 23, 2018 12:03 AM 718 ms.
A Halo Maps Website