A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: OrangeJuice
About Contact
Last Post: Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
Interests: nobody cares...
Your Age: nobody cares...
What Games do you play: nobody cares...
I'm feeling much better now, thanks!

Post Statistics
OrangeJuice has contributed to 1918 posts out of 469800 total posts (.41%) in 4,045 days (.47 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Random Prop Items. . Yesterday @ 12:51 PM (Total replies: 7)

How has it been like 16 years and nobody put WD-40 in halo yet?

Since I haven't been home in a while and I'm without a tablet, I've just been screwing around in 3DSmax for fun. So I've been putting in a few hours practicing UVW Unwrapping:

I finally have an excuse to use a multipurpose map too, like the bottle cap. It's just solid, basic-red in the colormap. But those ridges in the plastic are 2-pixel wide vertical lines in the reflection-mapping of the multipurpose, so it's really low budget. I'm having lots of fun!

So now we have WD-40.

Also making stairs because of boredom too. I've been plotting the number of steps and required height on a TI89, and manually setting all of the step heights by just looking at the data. I ended up modeling an elbow stairs and a spiral stairs:

I've been experimenting with using all Render-Only collisionless materials too. So I can get as fancy as I want and not have to worry about halo freaking out about it. It worked out years ago for highpoly Hyrule and I'm glad I still knew how to do it nowadays too.

With that in mind, adding fake collision to an otherwise decorative piece of BSP or scenery is actually pretty easy since... .well.. I've been using goddam halo for 16 years.
With LargeBodyCollider Materials, you can even get fake geometry to recieve DECALS too. So hah.

TODO:

WD-40's plastic cap needs the groove for the straw, and it needs the little dimple from where the plastic is injected
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 24, 2020 at 01:46 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Custom Tags Feb 18, 2020 04:17 PM (Total replies: 5)

If you're just using pre-made tags you downloaded from other people:

1. Put the tags in the tag folder where they say they belong. Tags should contain a readme file describing where exactly they go.

2. Use Sapien to put those tags into your scenario.

3. Save the scenario then use tool to compile a map file containing that scenario. The map will compile directly into your map folder as whatever the scenario name is in lowercase so PoRkInSenSEN.scenario becomes porkinsensen.map etc etc.

Pretty simple. Just learn what you need to know from the guides. For simple basic modding, all you need to know is how to use sapien and like 3 tool commands
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 18, 2020 at 04:32 PM

Heh, it's definitely 3dsmax's fault! xD
But the HEK only allows smoothing through smoothgroups, so I guess that's that. .

That said, If you download or check out a ripped model with smooth groups already applied, you'll see that different things are in different smooth groups, based on their surface-normals

like a drinking-glass, the sides, bottom, rim, and handle each have surface normals that are close-enough to eachother that they can smoothen based on eachother. But as 'parts of a glass'(handle, base, walls....) they're different enough to need their own smooth groups so that 3dsmax can 'do it right'(90 degree angles probably wouldn't make sense to blend together)

Gotta be more selective with the things you put in the same smooth group.

And sometimes you'll have large flat surfaces that will never look good smoothed because they're flat to begin with, you can simply leave them unsmoothed and Halo will shader and gloss them as flat surfaces. Cubemaps also help too.
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 13, 2020 at 03:18 PM
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 13, 2020 at 09:05 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Multi-Installs of Halo? Feb 8, 2020 11:21 AM (Total replies: 2)

--snip//I typed waaay too much--

Copy and paste the actual install folder, the game works just fine without a reg entry.
The reg just contains an "install path(EXE Path)" and your ciphered CD key. Since you want to install OpenSauce, you could possibly change the EXE Path string to your new folder in the HaloCE reg entry. It's an HKLM entry, under wow6432node and Microsoft/Microsoft Games/

Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 8, 2020 at 04:59 PM
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 8, 2020 at 05:02 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Spaien Crash Jan 27, 2020 07:44 PM (Total replies: 7)

If it's regular sapien it's probably crashing simply because your computer has multiple cores.

You can set its affinity from task manager or use third-party programs to patch it for uniprocessor
- - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you're using OS sapien, then i'm guessing then that that's the wrong debug file and the one OS writes to is <yourDocuments>/My Games/Halo CE/OpenSauce/Reports/debug.txt
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 27, 2020 at 08:49 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 6, 2020 12:17 PM (Total replies: 14982)

It doesn't matter, it's still a replica-bungie-battle-rifle just like the last couple hundred that've been posted here over the decade

This entire argument is irrelevant, go back to DeviantArt and preach about the silly 'arttheft' sentiment with the other seagulls. This be halomaps
Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 6, 2020 at 12:24 PM

well for the two numbers their effect would be

<lightmap quality> <falloff>

LightmapQuality is just a two-option switch between "test quality" lighting and "final quality" lighting.
And falloff would be how far the world's lighting could travel to light the map. So 0.9 would produce a dimmer map than 0.09, etc. etc.

Could also be one other thing: Halo maps usually have hidden, unrendered, lighting helpers as part of the original BSP(all of the 'old' ripping tools seem to hate ripping things that were flagged as no-render) and not reimplimenting them after a rip-job can cause poorly lit interiors.

Edited by OrangeJuice on Jan 4, 2020 at 03:08 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien Help: Vehicles Dec 26, 2019 10:04 PM (Total replies: 3)

Only six vehicles can be registered in globals.globals(never modify this without backing it up first), you'll have to delete an entry to make room for the pelican

Or if you don't want to sacrifice vehicle usage, give your pelicans unit names and spawn them with commands
Edited by OrangeJuice on Dec 26, 2019 at 10:07 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo on modern Mac Machine? [HELP] Dec 17, 2019 11:27 AM (Total replies: 4)

If wine on mac is anything like wine on linux, try a halo on linux tutorial

Halo CE General Discussion » pyr rotation to lefthanded XYZ Nov 22, 2019 10:43 AM (Total replies: 1)

Aviation Yaw, Pitch, and Roll

Yaw would be to look turn or steer left and right

Pitch would be to nose up and down. And:

Roll would be to roll, like turning a camera from landscape to portrait or cocking your head left or right

Aside from that, Halo assets are created facing +X rather than +Y in most other games so that might affect some things if you're ripping halo assets
Edited by OrangeJuice on Nov 23, 2019 at 04:11 AM

could have too many portals. (too many within visible range of eachother and they'll start to fight eachother)

or too few(going over the geometry budget)

or portals not placed in sane/safe locations for portaling

Or your bsp geometry is too simple to subdivide properly and needs more tesellation
Edited by OrangeJuice on Nov 3, 2019 at 12:32 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pelican Model Editing Problem- TEXTURES Oct 27, 2019 06:17 PM (Total replies: 2)

Were you messing with materials and textures?

If so, you cannot end a materialname with a number because tool will remove that number and use it as the permutation id. (like say: If you had a material called metals_floor_diamonds_1, tool will remove the number and put something like metals_floor_diamonds :: permutation: #1 in the gbxmodel)

other than that . .

If you're trying to get detail-maps blended into a shader_model, you'll probably need to do so in the multipurpose map
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 27, 2019 at 06:22 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Linux ( 2017 ) Oct 27, 2019 03:26 PM (Total replies: 20)

I guess my only outstanding goals for now is performance, and opensauce

OS_Sapien simply isn't working at more than 1FPS on any attempts I've done so far

Trying to launch haloce with opensauce will just fail because of dinput8 not working

And Halo Custom Edition because of the huge performance drop. Every wine setup you can think of, silenced debugging, Even with a 64-bit winearch I simply couldn't get more than 40FPS out of bigass(when standing at the entrance of the two bases) when this computer can manage 200 on bigass with no dips on windows. This performance drop extends to other maps as well, even stockmaps

Any tips?
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 27, 2019 at 03:27 PM
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 27, 2019 at 03:27 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » How to make a numeric countdown timer Sep 15, 2019 05:50 PM (Total replies: 1)

Numeric Countdown Timer

Get a sprite sheet with ten image slots(0 through 9).
Well, not exactly a sprite sheet. Just a multipage bitmap with all 'default' flags will work too

Make a gbxmodel with whatever digits you want it to display. For this tutorial I am using all seven valid digits.

Each digit uses its own HEK-permutation which is provided by a number at the end of the submaterial-name.
So for each digit, make a copy of the submaterial and put a number for whichever digit you plan on using at the end of the name.

(you can click and drag submaterials to copy them)

Valid digits:

0 ) microseconds?
1 ) milliseconds
2 ) tens of milliseconds
3 ) seconds
4 ) tens of seconds
5 ) minutes
6 ) tens of minutes

(so in permutations, a halo clock would be 65 : 43 : 210 ) or ( clock6 clock5 : clock4 clock3 : clock2 clock1 clock0 )

If you were using all seven digits, you should have seven submaterials all named something like ' clock6, clock5, clock4 . .. . . .' etc. etc.

For the number sheet TIF, you will need a chicago or chicago_extended shader. Flag the shader as Numeric under Chicago Shader properties, then scroll to the very bottom of the tag and flag it as Numeric Countdown Timer
Save it and you're done.

Now you can use that shader_transparent_chicago wherever you want(probably).

To set a countdown timer in-game use this code:

numeric_countdown_timer_set <milliseconds> <BOOL autostart>

With all of that out of the way, the maximum countdown that halo seems to support is 3,600,000 <longs> (one hour).

(A seven-digit countdown timer counting down from one-hour)

for the image above, I called:
numeric_countdown_timer_set 36000000 true

Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 15, 2019 at 06:06 PM
Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 15, 2019 at 06:34 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » blue-gen sprite sheet generator Sep 15, 2019 02:35 AM (Total replies: 1)

Can probably imagine what kind of power can be had when you allow people to just use multiple images instead of having to line them up by hand and guess all the sizes and math.

Just animate - and - render

I would also take a guess and say it makes taking online gifs and getting them in-game trivial. And video clips .... lots of things. Hell. physical paper-scanned animations are probably super easy to import since you wouldn't have to commit to the PITA of messing with frikkin tiles

-

EDIT: Oh yeah, that was super painless. I love it!

Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 15, 2019 at 06:28 AM

There's also another way to do this in the opensauce docs: Doc_Halo1_DirectionalLightmaps

With a few steps here and there for what you're trying to do(extracting all the scenery models and bsp as one setpiece)

There are a few different options. like aether above
Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 15, 2019 at 01:32 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Sep 7, 2019 02:10 PM (Total replies: 14982)

sure,

But Halomaps isn't really the default center for communications anymore because of it

The whole 'was it dead already or was it murdered' thing going on

But if you like the vicariousness of just seeing all of the modding and happenings and stuff, I'm sure you could have a look around for the other communities(I don't keep in touch enough to know what the active ones are (✿◡‿◡) )

Edited by OrangeJuice on Sep 7, 2019 at 02:18 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Linux ( 2017 ) Aug 31, 2019 04:58 PM (Total replies: 20)

Updated the guide for 2019.

And I added some installation tips. Are they helpful at all?

I think it would be lovely if some genius came along and made like . . an installer or appimage that does all of this automatically and installs halo for you. Once you have everything, halo is actually pretty easy to get working. But making an installer for linux that just does it for you automatically would be the best gift ever

Until then, I still hate linux. And like usual, I'm not keeping it installed, I just wanted to update this guide since I left it kind of unfinished, sorry for leaving it unfinished xD

Edited by OrangeJuice on Aug 31, 2019 at 05:22 PM
Edited by OrangeJuice on Aug 31, 2019 at 05:23 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Release: Really big BSP Aug 11, 2019 06:19 PM (Total replies: 22)

I guess it would look nice without the default fog smothering everything

gives everything an ugly grey tinge

I'm bored, thanks for the fun
Edited by OrangeJuice on Aug 11, 2019 at 06:50 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Invader Jun 5, 2019 04:37 PM (Total replies: 31)

It was fun seeing the earlier screenshots of it and the interesting ways it messes up halo, now this looks even nicer

Time: Tue February 25, 2020 10:08 AM 141 ms.
A Halo Maps Website