A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Merkatroyd
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 17, 2010 10:57 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Merkatroyd has contributed to 23 posts out of 469492 total posts (0.00%) in 3,958 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » reflective/chrome textures? Mar 17, 2010 10:57 PM (Total replies: 1)

I would like to know how to make textures reflective/shiny, such as the facemask on master chief's helmet, for instance.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » opening/closing doors on vehicles? Mar 17, 2010 09:52 PM (Total replies: 1)

I modeled some muscle cars for a map im making, i did a pretty good job, and I was wondering how I could animate doors opening/closing when the character enters or exits the car.

EDIT: also, spinning wheels, and turning front wheels. Im thinking about making a u-joint between the transmission and the ring and pinion gear spin also. its detailed im keeping my poly count low, dont worry.

someone, anyone, help me with this, even if you only know a little about it, a small amount of help would be great.
Edited by Merkatroyd on Mar 17, 2010 at 10:35 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » glass, and vehicle animations Mar 15, 2010 07:53 PM (Total replies: 4)

can you be a little more specific? do you mean an alpha map? what is a "transparent shader?" thank you in advance

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » glass, and vehicle animations Mar 14, 2010 07:55 PM (Total replies: 4)

How do you create glass in halo? (or any sort of opaque texture) and also, how do you create animations in vehicles, such as opening or closing doors, and suspension? (if I sound like a bit of a newbie thats because I am)

I am putting ai into my map, but I noticed, after downloading other people's maps with ai in them, that in multiplayer servers, ai are sometimes not simultaneously on both the host's and the player's computer.

for instance, I could get beaten up by an ai, but the ai would be invisible becuase it technically would not "exist" on my computer, and only on the host's.

Or, an ai would try and shoot me, but the bullets would have no effect, because the ai does not exist on the host's computer.

OR, I could try to kill an ai, but the ai would not die because it does not exist on the host's computer.

Is there a way around this? or is this just a rare glitch I found?

OK im sorry . . . I just realized I was making a dick of myself, i wasn't really quite awake. Thanks for all your help.

In saying that no one understood what I was saying, I was not directing it specifically at you. everyone was giving a different answer, and I wanted to understand what I was reading.

Did you really think that I would decide to single you out, out of the clusterf*ck of different answers, and decide that your answer was wrong?

plus, the unlikelihood that you would discover both questions is ludicrous. I wrote that question a week ago! how much time do you spend on here?

well, since you seem to be a big expert on this subject, and you spend so much time on the forum, does the texture have to be the same dimensions as the original one, as long as it is a factor of 2?

I've asked this question before, but no one knew what I was talking about. Can you have more than one of THESE??
http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bloodground.tif

thank you in advance. I am creating a desert map, it will have ongoing edges like death island, with an invisible wall. on the area beyond the invisible wall, I need to continue the roads and other things, via different ground texture. is this possible?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » a question about map ground textures Apr 17, 2009 10:34 PM (Total replies: 6)

Is it possible for a map to have more than one ground texture?

I don't know If I'm using my terms right, I'm talking about the texture in the map that draws where which textures go, and what shade they are, like in a path or road, or a lightly shaded dirt area around a base.

I need an additional ground texture because I am creating a vast underground cavern in my map. It too will have paths.

edit: you're missing my point. can you have more than one of these!:
http://img509.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bloodground.tif

im not talking about alpha maps, or secondary detail maps.
Edited by Merkatroyd on Apr 19, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » how many polygons is too many polygons? Apr 12, 2009 05:28 PM (Total replies: 7)

I am planning on a map that has 7200 polygons. Is this WAY too many? I need to decide how many polygons I am making with this map. It will be 2 1/2 square miles.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » What determines Polygon count? Apr 7, 2009 05:17 PM (Total replies: 1)

Can someone please explain to me the terms of polygon count? I asked a similar question, "What is the maximum amount of polygons to use in a map?" and the answer I got was " I think above 30k tool will start to complain." can someone explain all this for me?

And how exactly do you count the number of polygons in a model?

I want to create a ground texture with an alpha map. Can I just create an alpha map by using 2 layers? how do you create an alpha map? I am trying to reenact what this guy is doing, but using photoshop, not paintshop. fast forward to :35.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvIOjgT7D_E&feature=PlayList&p=845920483C368871&index=0&playnext=1

I am creating a map with a massive secret underground cavern. in it, there will be a massive hole in the cieling, and a wrecked human ship will be resting on the floor. a large shaft of light will be shining down on it.
My question is, how do you create shafts of light? I understand that you need to create the geometry of it, but how do you create transparent textures for it, and how do you make it illuminate? also, it will have particles of dust in it, so will a scrolling texture (like in a stream?) make it more realistic? this is the effect I am aiming for.
http://gallery.photo.net/photo/6097200-lg.jpg
Also, music will be playing in the background, but only when you find the cavern. how do I do this?

My main concern is creating transparent textures in photoshop. will they be as visibly transparent in gmax as in the game? or does it involve something else in the halo editing kit?

when you are near a bomb, the screen briefly flashes orange. When you zoom on a scope, the vision blurs. When you are being shot, the screen flashes white. when a nade goes off, the screen shakes. How do you produce these effects?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Does this Ground texture look correct? Feb 15, 2009 06:49 PM (Total replies: 1)

Okay, I am creating a ground texture in photoshop. I created an alpha map for it, by creating two layers.
http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/8391/groundtexturescreenshotqu4.jpg
Could I just simply save this as a .tiff image and it would work? can it be 1024x1024? Is it possible to have more than one ground texture?

By the way, this is a desert map I am creating. It has a old pavement road going thorough the center, only interrupted by a railroad track with a derailed train on it. I have a lot of great ideas for it.

I want to create a ground texture for a desert. The sand is going to be almost white. How do I do this? there will be a road going through the center of the level. how do I make it slightly whiter around the road? can I use my own textures?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » How do you create shaders? Feb 15, 2009 10:53 AM (Total replies: 2)

Okay, can you help me? Will you help me? Obviously I don't know anything about shaders, that's the reason why I asked. I only want to know what a shader IS. Not what a shader isn't.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » How do you create shaders? Feb 14, 2009 11:13 PM (Total replies: 2)

How do you create a shader from scratch?
Can a map have more than one shader? does it need an alpha map? what is an alpha map? can the shader be as big as you want it to be, as long as it is a factor of 2? (512x512, 1024x1024?)

How do you create an invisible wall?

I am creating a flat desert map. how do I create ongoing scenery outside of the sky box?(like the continuing water in Death island)

Time: Fri December 6, 2019 3:08 AM 234 ms.
A Halo Maps Website