A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: WWLinkMasterX
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 25, 2016 01:33 PM
Interests:
Your Age: Yes
What Games do you play:
we are made of memes...
Email: {hidden}
AIM: ... or not v
MSN IM: JonSki12@gmail.
Yahoo IM:

Post Statistics
WWLinkMasterX has contributed to 718 posts out of 450694 total posts (.16%) in 2,590 days (.28 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » CE3 2016 Live Apr 25, 2016 01:33 PM (Total replies: 97)

Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
Quote: --- Original message by: KappaLocust
4 Months!

4 Months! = 4 Sp mods!

um. . .

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Planet_flood_a Apr 25, 2016 02:57 AM (Total replies: 61)

<3 sparky

Altis pretty much hit the nail on the head.

I was going to write a constructive review, but after the first hour, this map lost any charm it could have had. I lost the energy I had saved for writing this review on just trying to complete the map. It's a waste of time.

- The dropship animations in the beginning are pretty buggy. That bit's tolerable. The worst part is the awkward first-person view you have to endure that forces you to look up when you could be watching the battle unfolding.

- Gameplay-wise the initial assault's alright, most allies don't survive, but that's probably intentional. Once the battle's over your surviving allies don't follow you. Why? What's the point of this mission again? At no point were there Nav points or mission objectives to give me an inkling of what I was supposed to be doing.

- Stalker forms are pretty cool. Not perfect, but they're well animated, and well balanced. I like how they can walk on walls, an underutilized feature. If you get close while they're sideways however, the "hold x to flip vehicle" message appears. Textures are a bit bland. It's also worth noting that at this point you've revealed most of your enemy types. Thus, you've fallen into a mistake most amateur map-makers make: poor pacing.

- Next two encounter's are alright, but none of the enemies drop ammo so you have to conserve until the third encounter. That's not so bad.

- Third encounter on the "bridge" is pretty cool, but I got surprised by the rocket flood. That wasn't so bad, kind of funny actually, but then it placed me back at the start of the level. That's rookie mistake #2, not enough checkpoints. This is HUGE.

- So I had to do the beginning part all over again which was doubly frustrating because the simple "hoard-gameplay" is just too simple to be fun the second time. Not to mention, the huge distances not meant to be traveled by foot start to show. So I got impatient and after a couple goes I turned on deathless so I could get through the level. I don't like to do that and maybe it was hasty, but I think the next part validated my choice.

- You cross the bridge and come to a fork. To the left lies a butte surrounded by infection forms, "flyers" (NOW all the units have been revealed and there are no more surprises), and transport(?) forms. To the Right are a few flyers and a tank. Naturally I ran for the tank if for no other reason than this level has desperately needed a vehicle from the start. Maybe in my deathless-ness I missed something because this was not survivable otherwise.

- The massive swarm of flyers flocked my way and they're unavoidable. From their vantage point there's no way to avoid their fire. There's no overhead cover in this desert and there shots are too fast to dodge. Inversely, their tiny flying bodies are very difficult to hit, even with the tank's LAAG turret. Maybe I was supposed to backpedal to the massive pile of pistols on the "bridge" and get them at range. However, 1) backpedaling is bad 2) it's especially bad given these distances 3) again, this problem could be ameliorated with proper checkpoints.

- Like Altis said, the "transport" forms are good enough as melee enemies and really shouldn't shoot at all. A single one can kill you in a couple seconds, not to mention the packs of them you fight later.

- After that was a long tank run which was kind of fun, but the enemies felt repetitive and the "deathless" took away some of the rush. I had lighting issues in the caves but maybe that's just me. It's particularly a problem when rocket flood you can't even see get the jump on you.

- Ran in to some flyers in a clearing, not even worth fighting.

- Ran into a pack of "transports," tank vs. transports was a fun fight... until their ability to shoot ruined it.

- Getting forced out of the tank was necessary, but as Altis pointed out, could have been done better.

- Fighting in the tunnel was kind of cool but a slog. An encounter with just stalkers jumping from the walls/climbing all over the place would have been cool. At the end of that tunnel you have to fight a single transport form on foot. It would have made for a cool "boss fight" but that's sullied by the stress of having to fight like 15 other units simultaneously.

- After that it was just more productive to run instead of kill enemies, so if there were any "kill all enemies to progress" triggers (usually a bad idea) I missed them.

- Being on foot for the entire rest of the level made it painfully obvious how big this map was. I actually rather liked the BSP and thought it could make for a great vehicle level, against other vehicles, piloted by covenant, not flood, not on foot.

- Hugging the cliff to my left I was able to scale it a little to try and avoid any flood chasing me. Unless this was planned for, it probably made me skip some triggers such that nothing else spawned for the rest of the level.

- Got to the penultimate section with the structure from death island and a tunnel. Both were empty as was the gorge between them. Again, this could have been "my fault."

- Finally, I quietly walked the entire length of the tunnel for a couple minutes where I came to a dead end with no indication that the level was over or assurance that I had even done it right. whoo hoo.

To recap,

Pros:
- stalkers
- original bsp
- transport forms when they can't shoot you
- somewhat thought-out encounters
- triggers seem to work most of the time
- tank's usually fun no matter what?

Cons:
- Checkponts!
- Balance
- Distances/lack of vehicles on what would be a good vehicle map
- Pacing
- Poor lighting (some parts), bland textures
- Weapon diversity
- Enemy diversity
- Objectives/sense of orientation
- Placement of weapons & healthpacks
- Poorly defined map limits

Add:
- More checkpoints
- Outlined Objectives
- More allies/ allies that follow you
- More vehicles. These would look great in a flood map: http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6010

All-in-all it just wasn't fun, it was a chore to complete. 3/10 (I've seen worse)

... There's the detailed play-by-play of my experience. I started writing this post 12 hours ago but simply didn't have the time to finish it then. Happy now?

It's still garbage.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Planet_flood_a Apr 24, 2016 03:15 PM (Total replies: 61)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Why should anyone on this forum give you the respect to download this, when you have already spammed it in other people's own threads trying to showcase their work?

I downloaded it anyway. And played it to the "end" (took 2 hours). It's garbage.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Ocean Resort Firefight Apr 18, 2016 12:20 PM (Total replies: 81)

cooel thread bro

+1 subscribed

...but actually this looks pretty good. My main concern is that your firefights tend to have bland-looking environments. Would it be possible to up the complexity of the BSP/scenery? I think I saw you planning something like that in a picture on the previous page.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE bullethole art Apr 13, 2016 01:14 PM (Total replies: 36)

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Initially I thought the title for this topic read: butthole art.

wait.... it doesn't?!

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE bullethole art Apr 11, 2016 10:49 AM (Total replies: 36)

At first I was like: "Oh look another off-topic troll thread"

But then I was like: "This is..... unfortunately relevant."

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Membership System Apr 4, 2016 12:20 PM (Total replies: 20)

Wow, that's amazing!

Quote: --- Original message by: AlissArcana
Well at least the background Isn't black.

Heh, that's racist.

They prefer to be called "backgrounds of color."

-obligatory comment about Gaigher maps=

Halo CE General Discussion » WOULDNT IT BE SO SWEET??? Mar 30, 2016 05:01 PM (Total replies: 8)

I've always wanted to see a map centered around decent water/underwater mechanics, but that's pretty hard to pull off.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Mar 24, 2016 03:07 PM (Total replies: 11216)

Catching these streams is virtually impossible for people with lives.

oh well :'(

Halo CE General Discussion » Seige Gametype Mar 21, 2016 06:21 PM (Total replies: 41)

Quote: --- Original message by: JadeRifter

Thanks, glad people are showing interest in this. I'm working on refining the siege script.

Edit: Another feature I'd like to add is being able to spawn teleporters via switch when you capture a node. Once captured, a tele would appear at your base allowing you and your team to warp back to the node. I'm not sure if this can be done though, I'm looking into it.
Edited by JadeRifter on Mar 21, 2016 at 02:35 AM

That feature would be excellent in maps like "The Floods" (1-3) and the "Area" levels, which desperately needed some kind of checkpoint system.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Mar 19, 2016 06:05 PM (Total replies: 11216)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
-Remove Covenant Sniper Rifle from all maps.

So you decided on it huh? Makes sense, the covenant already have two new ranged options. Or did you desperately need more forerunner weapon concepts?

Still kinda disappointing. I'll miss the Chevy Impala.

I believe gravity stuff is possible with open sauce, might not be worth the hassle though, I don't even have anything specific in mind. The vacuum blasting and suffocation stuff can probably be achieved with damage effects, though I'm not sure how well. Finally, I think I recall that in the original campaign patrolling enemies could alert everyone else in a room if they spotted you.

I've always wanted to see a (short?)mission based off the chapter of "The Fall of Reach" where the Chief infiltrates a secret Innie station hidden in an asteroid and blows everyone up (including civilians?).

It would involve fighting (modded) marines, a relatively uncommon enemy in halo. Plus, it would allow for all kinds of space-related mechanics that never got to be used in a10.

I'm thinking a primarily stealth-based mission on human geometry, against humans, with nifty space mechanics like variable gravity, breaking windows to vacuum, and turning the oxygen off in certain rooms. You can even have unarmed civilians running around that can't hurt you, but can alert guards to you, and generally get in the line of fire during firefights. Ultimately, the goal is to find and kill the leader.

In other words, I miss the Innie campaign that showed so much promise but never got finished.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Mar 18, 2016 02:00 AM (Total replies: 11216)

Time to defend CMT again.

While I may not entirely agree with the way Masters has gone about this, I think that overall he make good points.

1) He doesn't want to show (presumably) buggy, UNEDITED beta footage to a mass audience. Exposure (quantity) is important, but so is quality, and big CE projects like SPV3 are important because they're beacons of quality in a sea of johnlex.

The opposite of teasing too little content before a project is finished is showing way too much, usually before a project is anywhere near completion. What often happens then is the producer gets bored and the project never gets finished. Not spoiling things requires discipline, as does seeing projects to completion.

2) It's not at all unheard of to have "private" streams. Plenty of game devs,as well as movie companies offer private screening and previews to select, or random but limited groups of fans. Exclusivity is part of the hype machine.

3) These restricted streams incentiveize people to not only follow the project on reddit and twitter (via live update mechanisms) but on any platform more frequently as not to miss something. This is actually a psychological phenomenon I forget the terminology for, but the gambling-like nature of choosing not to check (bi)daily gets people in an obsessive habit to constantly check. This is particularly exacerbated by the fact that there's no considerable time window for error. In any event, such obsession build hype.

Note that I'm saying this as someone who doesn't have a smartphone (so no live updates), hates twitter, and never got in the habit of using reddit. I missed all (3 ?) streams and kinda beat myself up about it because I actually had free time the day they were going on, I just didn't check.

A longer heads-up period would help, but again, I think these streams are tailored to be an exclusive experience.

Halo CE General Discussion » finally got legit halo ce Mar 15, 2016 12:02 PM (Total replies: 21)

This just shows your inability to get by without one.

Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk
so, my copy of Halo arrived today in the mail from the UK and I must say that it 100% no kidding ridiculously improves the experience, just being able to join any game via multiplayer without having to worry about 'your CD key is invalid' alone is worth the money I spent to get it.

Pictures otherwise I am calling the feds.

i lel'd

Halo CE General Discussion » [Survey] Where are you? Mar 15, 2016 11:59 AM (Total replies: 104)

Florida.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Mar 15, 2016 11:57 AM (Total replies: 11216)

Or how about just more heads-up than an hour in advance?

Halo CE General Discussion » Looky here, procrastinations! Mar 9, 2016 04:49 PM (Total replies: 5)

1) Use a better mic
2) Get a better dialogue writer
3) Avoid repeating words/sounds/mannerisms too much

It sounds like you improvised this though.

Halo CE General Discussion » Final Bigass Release Mar 9, 2016 04:39 PM (Total replies: 376)

awesome!

Time: Sat April 30, 2016 4:55 AM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website