A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: elite051
About Contact
Last Post: Dec 6, 2016 03:42 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Wow, I really suck at this!

Post Statistics
elite051 has contributed to 38 posts out of 469401 total posts (.01%) in 3,845 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Moving Forward Dec 6, 2016 03:42 PM (Total replies: 2)

So long story short, I've reached the point where I understand the basics of making a simple map, nothing more than an atrociously textured box canyon with a scenery object base at either end. I'd very much like to move beyond this point.

What I'm mainly looking for are tutorials and resources to improve my modelling ability, some resources on proper texturing/UVW mapping would be greatly appreciated as well.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Reference models missing Feb 8, 2016 03:11 PM (Total replies: 2)

For some reason the masterchief/warthog models at Halo\data\characters\reference were not included with HEK.

Are these available for download?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Failed to open TIFF Sep 25, 2014 01:01 AM (Total replies: 5)

When attempting to compile bitmaps, my ground texture gives me this.

### killbox_ground.tif
==> !!WARNING!! failed to open TIFF: unsupported bits per sample (16) or sample count (4) <==

Any ideas what the issue is?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » HEK+ freezing on Windows 8? Sep 24, 2014 12:39 PM (Total replies: 3)

Worked great. Thanks!

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » HEK+ freezing on Windows 8? Sep 24, 2014 11:46 AM (Total replies: 3)

HEK+ freezes when I try to access dropdown menus. I recall this being an issue on Vista, but I don't recall how to fix it. I'm running Windows 8.1. Any fixes?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Import .wrl into 3DS MAX 2009? Sep 20, 2014 06:51 PM (Total replies: 2)

I'm trying to fix geometry issues, but I can't seem to be able to import the .wrl file into MAX. There's no option in the import menu. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

edit: problem solved by using 32 bit version. New problem: tool generates [mapname].wrl, but no debug.wrl. Any fixes?
Edited by elite051 on Sep 20, 2014 at 07:21 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Exception Aug 25, 2013 05:22 PM (Total replies: 3)

That's just it, it's set to multiplayer. I don't know why it's looking for the solo tags when the scenario is set to multiplayer.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Exception Aug 25, 2013 01:48 PM (Total replies: 3)

I'm working on a map, but when I start it ingame I get an exception. Debug info is below.

08.25.13 13:44:47 tool pc 01.00.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
08.25.13 13:44:47 reference function: _write_to_error_file
08.25.13 13:44:47 reference address: 42ca20
08.25.13 13:44:47 Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
08.25.13 13:44:47 file_open('tags\ui\ui_tags_loaded_solo_scenario_type.tag_collection') error 0x00000002 'The system cannot find the file specified. '
08.25.13 13:44:47 couldn't open tag_collection tag 'ui_tags_loaded_solo_scenario_type.tag_collection'.
08.25.13 13:44:47 failed to load ui tags tied to solo scenarios
08.25.13 13:44:47 WARNING: 1 clusters in structure_bsp levels\test\basis\basis have no background sound or sound environment.

It's a multiplayer scenario, so I'm not sure why it's looking for the solo ui tags. This likely has something to do with it, but I can't find the problem.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Getting Started Apr 24, 2013 07:26 PM (Total replies: 10)

I've tried several times over the past couple years to get into HCE mapping, with varying degrees of success. Since my last attempt, I've lost basically all of that knowledge. Then it occurred to me to try a different approach.

With all tools and knowledge currently available to the community, where should I begin? Is there a specific tutorial that would serve as a better starting point as the others? In addition, what is the ideal toolset currently available(HEK version, etc.)?

Tools I currently have: 3ds MAX 2009, original HEK, photoshop CS5

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pelican Vehicle Carry Script Nov 19, 2012 02:10 PM (Total replies: 5)

Did we ever get a working script that allowed for Pelicans to carry warthogs, scorpions, etc? I remember the old one which, while technically functional, looked god awful(lagged like hell, fell then jumped back to the dropship repeatedly). Did this ever get improved?

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't play Nov 14, 2012 09:24 PM (Total replies: 6)

I've tried all these things. I actually only installed norton yesterday. Before I had used microsoft security essentials, and have since removed norton and reinstalled microsoft security essentials. I've tried disabling my firewall and antivirus, didn't help. A friend of mine tried to help me yesterday, and discovered I can't use teamviewer or windows remote assistance either. Any other ideas?

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't play Nov 14, 2012 08:49 PM (Total replies: 6)

I just reinstalled Halo CE after restoring my computer from the factory recovery partition a few months ago. I can no longer play for some reason. When trying to get the server list, it displays "An error has occurred trying to contact the Gamespy master server". In addition, when trying to host a LAN game(or Internet) it displays the starting network server screen, then displays "Network connection lost" and returns me to the main menu. Honestly, this problem isn't limited to Halo. Counter strike, Garry's mod, TF2, etc. all can't connect to(or even find) multiplayer servers. I can't even connect to Symantec's servers to activate my new antivirus. At this point, this post is less about Halo and more about me sucking at computers. Does anyone have any idea what to do?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Respawn Issue Mar 3, 2012 10:00 PM (Total replies: 3)

I'm working on a team slayer map, but players will often respawn in the enemy base. Is there anything other than player starting points I need to add?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » HEK+ extracting Feb 25, 2012 07:54 AM (Total replies: 1)

With HEK+, extracted files all go to the same folder. For instance, if I extracted the characters/elite from b40 to tags/characters/elite, instead of placing the files in their proper locations within tags/characters/elite(like in the bitmaps folder, shaders folder, etc.) all files go into tags/characters/elite.

Is there any way to get around this?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Unit Conversions Feb 22, 2012 09:59 AM (Total replies: 3)

What is the approximate conversion of:

Max units to world units

World units to meters

Halo CE General Discussion » A Challenge Feb 21, 2012 09:58 PM (Total replies: 33)

Okay, picture this. A massive modification for Halo Custom Edition that would allow for things like massive levels, vehicles, etc as well as fixing issues with the engine that hinder these things. Think about large scale ship to ship combat. You'd need to fix some of the annoying issues with the engine, like how you fly out the back when your not in your seat. The engine needs to be modified to support enormous maps, the kind of map in which a full sized Assault Carrier could move comfortably. But why stop in space? Think fully explorable cities. Bump up the max player limit, you've got a full out warzone.

So here's my challenge for the brighter members of this community. Develop a modification that would allow for bigger maps and  better physics. Do I intend to do this? No. Do I have the skill to do this? My recent forum activity can tell you I can barely place scenery(I've got that down now, but you get the point). Is it even possible? Probably. Do any of you have the know-how to accomplish this task? Let's find out.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Custom Vehicle Issues Feb 20, 2012 07:00 PM (Total replies: 2)

I'm trying to use the npelican vehicle found in http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1218

I can get it ingame, it spawn fine. But only only one seat works, the rearmost cargo seat.

any help is appreciated

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Cant't use custom tags Feb 20, 2012 12:55 PM (Total replies: 2)

problem resolved

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Cant't use custom tags Feb 19, 2012 01:41 PM (Total replies: 2)

I cannot use tags downloaded from halomaps.

Not all the selected tags could be added to the palette
You selected one or more files that couldn't be loaded correctly

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3861
^is one of several examples

Any help is appreciated

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Exception when running map Feb 19, 2012 12:07 AM (Total replies: 2)

Disregard, map works now. It turns out I had it defined as mainmenu
Edited by elite051 on Feb 19, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Time: Wed October 23, 2019 1:03 PM 375 ms.
A Halo Maps Website