A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: English Mobster
About Contact
Last Post: Jan 8, 2012 08:33 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
English Mobster has contributed to 54 posts out of 469347 total posts (.01%) in 3,749 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Jan 8, 2012 08:33 AM (Total replies: 203)

Really necrobumping here.

It's a shame you posted when you did; I had literally just been on this site a few weeks before you posted finding this thread to make my introduction post over at my new mapping home. :P

First, yes, you may use my idea (for anyone in the future who reads this).
Second, as to what happened with this:
1. I lost some (but not all) of the files. All of the work in Sapien was lost, and nobody had a recent beta for me to extract the tags. While I still do have the models and textures to this day, it was a setback.
2. In 2009, I felt Halo was on its dying breaths. Downloads and traffic for Halo 1 were steadily trickling down, and I had no urge to continue making the map. I had just moved as well and was going through personal issues with my then-girlfriend, and real life took priority over mapping. When the dust settled, I figured it simply wasn't worth reinstalling everything over a game that had been losing players at a steady rate for years.
3. I began to write. Instead of mapping, I devoted my creative energies into writing, managing to convert an old short story (inspired by Red vs. Blue!) predating even this into a full-fledged, 85,000 word, 300 page novel. That took about a year, bringing us into 2010. After that, I wrote 5 one-act plays and got into competitive Pokemon (I know), which ate up my free time until I graduated high school in 2011 and subsequently ran out of people to play with.
4. Over that summer break, I decided to try my hand at TF2 mapping. I had tried it back in my Halo days but I was used to 3DS Max's interface and got frustrated. With my 3 year reprieve from Max, I picked up Hammer (the TF2 editor, basically Sapien + 3DS Max)'s controls really well and managed to get mapping again. Since about June, I've been diligently at work over at http://forums.tf2maps.net/index.php getting back into the swing of things.

I DID ultimately revive Gridlock in a way. My first map, Dockyard, was a Payload map based around my initial concepts for Gridlock, but it didn't work in TF2's engine. Framerates suffered and the Sniper class dominated. Without vehicles, travel times were too long for it to be truly fun. It was a map designed for Halo, and anyone is free to use any bits of it they'd like with proper attribution.
I'm in college now, so my money can't be spent on Xbox Live when I have a perfectly good computer. My Xbox Live account expired over Christmas, and I can now typically be found on Steam.
If you would like to contact me in the future:
Xfire: englishmobster
Steam: a_pie
Email: Disneylandjay@gmail.com

For those of you who wish to peruse the source files, you may have them here:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21164380/Gridlock.zip

Keep in mind I lost my password for Filefront long ago, so that link will only work for 7 days. If anyone can, please re-upload that to a more permanent source and post it here. If you're in the future and it's broken, shoot me a Steam message or email and I'll see if I still have them.

The zip contains the files for both Domain and Gridlock; Gridlock relies on a lot of Domain's source files to function, but I'm not sure which so I threw the entire folders in there. You can even view the never-released readme, dated October 13, 2009 (12 days before my 16th birthday!).
The tags are long gone, but I hope this comes in handy for someone, at least if to see what could have been. You can even finish it up if you want; keep in mind the remodel was only halfway done or so and so you'd have to deal with a lot of unfinished product.
Enjoy!
Edited by English Mobster on Jan 8, 2012 at 08:33 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Nov 26, 2009 04:18 AM (Total replies: 203)

I wasn't planning on showing anything but perhaps a static screen; animations other than static can be so fickle, I had to scrap an entire gameplay concept I had for this map originally because the animations for it didn't want to work properly (also, tagspace, which shouldn't be an issue anymore as I'm using a clean scenario file for this one).

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Nov 25, 2009 06:36 PM (Total replies: 203)

Quote: --- Original message by: WWLinkMasterX
What are those dark blocks?

Squarish dark blocks: "Tombstones" from the Hang 'Em High geometry. The place is a Peter Marks memorial.

Rectangular dark blocks: TV screens, currently showing static.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Nov 25, 2009 03:40 PM (Total replies: 203)

Hello there.
Progress on the redesign:

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Nov 7, 2009 07:42 PM (Total replies: 203)

For the record:
I am pulling references from ODST; however, I can model things perfectly well on my own. As such, I'll be using my own models for Gridlock.

Halo CE General Discussion » How can I get around 1.09? Nov 5, 2009 01:04 AM (Total replies: 13)

1.09 isn't mandatory, is it?
I heard Sawnose (the only guy at Bungie who still cares about us here on H1) say that it wouldn't break compatibility, and that 1.08 people could join 1.09 games since none of the actual game's files were changed, just a bug was fixed with the latest Internet Explorer security patch/64-bit users.

Halo CE General Discussion » Retina Nov 5, 2009 01:00 AM (Total replies: 22)

Retina?
I believe it was released a little while ago on Modacity; I'll check.
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10694&highlight=Retina
E: Nevermind, the file isn't on Filefront anymore.
I suggest sending a message to one of the people who responded to the thread, I'm willing to bet one of them will probably still have it.
Edited by English Mobster on Nov 5, 2009 at 01:02 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Nov 5, 2009 12:58 AM (Total replies: 203)

Almost time to start working on the other side now!

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Nov 3, 2009 11:29 PM (Total replies: 203)

Yay for redesigns!

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Nov 2, 2009 01:56 AM (Total replies: 203)

Snaf told me to ditch the model and redo everything. Since he's a professional who works in the field, I took his advice and I'm beginning a remodel.
Here's the changelog:
REMOVED/ALTERED:

• Streets will be 100% redone and reunwrapped.

• The main red and blue "fire exit" entrance to the mall (the infantry route closest to each base) is going to be remade from a fire exit to instead a section of the Superintendent's data core from the ODST level "Data Hive". I feel this is probably the best way to cover up an otherwise bland hallway.

• The area which someone on the last page felt was "too bland" is going to be remade into an exterior fire exit. This will allow people sneaking up on a sniper/turret gunner to be picked off more easily by a good team, as well as allow people climbing said fire exit to spot people shotgun camping on the fire escapes and pick them off before they climb the stairs.

• Blue base (the former hotel area) is going to be remade, more extensively based off of the Firefight map "Crater" than it already was. The Hotel is going to go bye-bye.

• Train station remodeled to match the one from H2's "Terminal".

• Entire South side of the map (freeway side) going to be ripped out and replaced with a parking garage like the one in "Terminal".

• Most of the crappy-looking wreckage is going to be removed; the exception being where Domain's Pelican crashed. Here, I will take steps to reduce the wreckage without fundamentally altering Domain's BSP, as being able to see Domain from Gridlock is part of the map's basic setting.

SALVAGED:

• Domain's BSP.

• The Blue base "Escalator" area (mostly). Is going to be remodeled, but will retain the same shape.

• The "park" I have by the hotel; this is part of the "Crater" remodel I was talking about earlier. Most buildings surrounding the area will be removed, however.

• The "Grifball" court.

• Mall interior going to keep the basic shape and function, although is going to be more akin to H2's "Ivory Tower" appearance-wise.

To sum it up:

Halo CE General Discussion » Halomaps on facebook Oct 23, 2009 09:55 AM (Total replies: 89)

Quote: --- Original message by: p0lar_bear
Quote: --- Original message by: English Mobster

Honestly, most of the people there are nice people; just don't act like an idiot and you'll be fine.
P0lar_bear is probably the harshest admin you'll come across there (SnaFuBAR is probably the harshest and most unforgiving mod), but he (and Snaf) really is a nice guy, he just has to enforce the rules.
Harshest? Puh-lease, I'm a huge softie. I'm more than willing to give people the benefit of the doubt or a second chance to people much to the chagrin of the rest of the staff. However, I'm the most active admin, and thus I'm often making the disciplinary decisions the most out of us three.

Exactly my point. That was bad wording on my part is all. My point was that while they may seem the harshest, its only because they are the ones who work the hardest.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halomaps on facebook Oct 23, 2009 12:51 AM (Total replies: 89)

Jay2645, at your service.

E: To answer the question which I know is going to be brought up: The SWMT is on hold at the moment. I actually HAVE been working on things, I've been rearranging the tags so that SWMT has its own dedicated folder. It's a lot of menial and brainless work, as I have to change each individual tag.
This is only complicated further by me not being able to get into contact with Advancebo and Nexus as often as I should.
I'm actually honestly surprised you got that, good job.
Edited by English Mobster on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halomaps on facebook Oct 23, 2009 12:33 AM (Total replies: 89)

Half of the people's avatars here are Pedobear (yes, I am exaggerating, but still).
If ONE newbie at Modacity had that as their avatar, they would be shot on sight for the most part. People who do use the memes either are respected members of the community and know when it is appropriate to use them or idiots who will be banned soon enough.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halomaps on facebook Oct 23, 2009 12:24 AM (Total replies: 89)

Ah yes, the eternal website war. Modacity vs. Halomaps.
While I started out on Halomaps 2 1/2 years ago, I moved to Modacity (then known as H2V) 2 years ago, learned a BUNCH of technical stuff, and haven't really looked back.

The way I see it is that Halomaps is a place to get started. You get your bearings in Halomaps, learn the ins and outs of the HEK. But when you want to get into more complex things, you move to Modacity.

Kid's a bit angry at Modacity because he did something which was a bit immature (Sorry Kid, it hurts, but it's true), in addition to him believing that all the members of Modacity hate him because they don't share the same viewpoints on subjects. Masterz is angry at Modacity because he was a dick to everyone there (again, sorry, but it's true) and got banned.
Most of the pricks at Modacity have been banned. The ones who are still there won't be there for much longer.
The only one widely considered a "prick" who is still at Modacity is SnaFuBAR, and that's because while he offers good crit on models, he tends to do so in a harsh way.

The reason why Modacity is hostile towards Halomaps is because of the maturity level present here. I only need to look at 1 or 2 threads before I see some 4chan meme pop up or someone whose posting style is illegible. Modacity has a zero-tolerance policy on illegible posts if it continues to be an issue for a member, and a fifteen-strikes rule on retarded internet memes.
Halomaps members are frowned upon at Modacity because they tend to lash out at criticism or take things the wrong way because someone doesn't share their viewpoint and they get -repped. The maturity level is (mostly) much higher at Modacity due to their policies, and it stays that way out of the "aura of fear" of sorts that the members there generate.

Honestly, most of the people there are nice people; just don't act like an idiot and you'll be fine.
P0lar_bear is probably the harshest admin you'll come across there (SnaFuBAR is probably the harshest and most unforgiving mod), but he (and Snaf) really is a nice guy, he just has to enforce the rules.

E: And yes, English Mobster is NOT my primary account (common knowledge to most people on Modacity). Yes, I do have a primary account here. Yes, I used to be a LOT more active/helpful here, and had one of the highest post counts before Dennis took the postcount away.
I'll give you a hint: I created the FIRST gallery thread on these forums (which Dennis accidentally deleted and then made the new ones you see today).
Edited by English Mobster on Oct 23, 2009 at 12:28 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » secret room in yoyo crast v2 Oct 13, 2009 11:42 PM (Total replies: 41)

DAMN YOU INFERNO WHY DIDN'T YOU MAKE A SPECIAL BITMAP FOR THE SUCKIEST PLAYER YOU KNOW OF. >=[
(I had 4 kills and 75 deaths one time when Inferno was in the server, on my server, playing my map.)

Halo CE General Discussion » foundry map making Oct 13, 2009 09:59 PM (Total replies: 75)

Oh god. OP, seriously, go away, come back when you're age 13, MINIMUM. Maybe then you would have reached the maturity level needed to match the big huge "M" rating on the box.
Actually, I doubt it. If you're scared about your mom finding pin-up girls on Yoyorast Island V2, you shouldn't be playing Halo.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo on diffrent game negine Oct 12, 2009 06:25 PM (Total replies: 46)

Quote: --- Original message by: jacknme
How about we make in into one of those "game books!"

You encounter a grunt.

Shoot your assault rifle at coordinates (0,0) Pg 45.
(0,1) Pg 46.
(0,2) Pg 47

OH GOD I AM MAKING A FLASH OLD-STYLE TEXT RPG BASED OFF OF THAT NOW.

Oh, there's a few easter eggs. Inferno showed me them after we alpha'd his map earlier.
You'll never find them.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Oct 10, 2009 01:44 AM (Total replies: 203)

Still working on the new model. Sealing up open edges, etc.
Gameplay was great, as expected. Now I'm spicing up the visuals to make this map awesome.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Gridlock Oct 4, 2009 04:15 PM (Total replies: 203)

Quote: --- Original message by: Ro0ster
I Just Finished the poster, I think it turned out great.

Heres a link to the picture if you decide to put it in the map: http://i334.photobucket.com/albums/m421/_Ro0ster_/ODST_Flag_Poster.png

Thanks a lot, Ro0ster. I like it.
I'll find a place for it, since I'm still working on the model. =P
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
I would like to see whre I gave you permission to use my ODST Pistol which I allowed FlamingRain to animate as long as he sent to no one else...

Well, I think I sent it FlamingRain to animate...

FlamingRain told me that pistol was 100% his. I'm currently taking his word for it.
You have to remember you two were modeling the same thing using (probably) the same references. They'll look similar if not identical.
Although I WILL talk to FRain about it.
Quote: --- Original message by: Ro0ster
Quote: --- Original message by: MissingSpartan7
was just playing beta 2, can you please make the covenant enrgy blocker thingy into scenery instead and maybe redo the textures and model for it...

just thoughts, especially if you're basing it off ODST
Put the genorator in the midle of it too and the shield really needs a shader overhaul, but I guess its only a beta.

There are multiple reasons why it's BSP and not scenery:
BSP has better collision than scenery (less chance of hog glitching through it).
Less memory is taken up by BSP than by scenery.
BSP receives better lightmaps.

The shaders are temporary while I work on some new ones.
Quote: --- Original message by: DarkHalo003
Is this still a night map? Or will it have lighting like Tayari Plaza? If it's the second, I got the music in Halo CE for it. I eventually plan to make loops as well.

It's still a night map. And I'm trying to limit the music; the only reason why the mall has any kind of music at all is because most malls play background ambient music around them.
Edited by English Mobster on Oct 4, 2009 at 04:16 PM

Time: Sun September 22, 2019 7:30 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website