A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Gravemind
About Contact
Last Post: Dec 13, 2019 05:53 PM
Interests: stuff
Your Age: 9
What Games do you play: stuff
The Age of Reclamation has begun.

Post Statistics
Gravemind has contributed to 384 posts out of 469526 total posts (.08%) in 3,793 days (.10 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Dec 13, 2019 05:53 PM (Total replies: 15)

That gbxmodel converter sounds like the way to go if you intend on using the models in Halo CE. If youíre using them for renders and animations you may have to combine that with a Blender gbxmodel importer if there is one.

I believe the AMF script included with Adjutant is plain text, but if not, the one under the Reclaimer download link is. I donít know what GMax and Blenderís scripting is like but porting the AMF importer shouldnít be too difficult for someone familiar with their scripting formats as long as the equivalent functions exist.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Dec 13, 2019 03:13 AM (Total replies: 15)

Most of the bump maps in Halo 2 are 8bit monochrome. There's only a handful that use the blue/pink style.

The download link has been updated with a fix for some models being unable to export as JMS.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Dec 11, 2019 07:48 AM (Total replies: 15)

Quote: --- Original message by: Polingo
will blend shape extraction for head models ever be added, or will that require a bit too much work?

Iím not sure what you mean here.

Quote: --- Original message by: Pabeung
Halo 2 Xbox Maps don't export models properly and what's with the normal maps being weird also where is the model viewer bro and when will you have support for Halo CEA model extraction cause I have some private builds of Adjutant that can extract it hmmmm

What about Halo 2 models isnít working? Which models are affected? What do you mean by the normal maps being weird?
I explained in the original post how to access the model viewer.
I believe the build of Adjutant currently linked to in the Adjutant thread should allow you to open model files in CEA, so itís not exactly private. In any case, the CEA models in Adjutant are in a completely unusable state so thereís no point extracting them anyway.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Dec 10, 2019 03:27 AM (Total replies: 15)

Quote: --- Original message by: sharlowidalot
I also get a crash when trying to open bitmaps.map from Halo CE but that doesn't open in Adjutant either so I figure that's a known thing?

Only playable maps are supported (including ui/mainmenu) - bitmaps, loc, sounds, campaign, shared etc cannot be opened directly.

On another note, I fixed an issue loading some Halo 3/Reach bsps and added .yelo to the Open File filter when browsing for a map. The link has been updated.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Dec 7, 2019 10:52 PM (Total replies: 15)

Quote: --- Original message by: sharlowidalot
I get a crash when trying to load Halo 2 Vista .maps though

Turns out it was only the multiplayer maps that had an issue, I've updated the download link with a fix. Please note though that while H2V maps can be opened they don't support any extraction - you will need to use the Xbox maps for that.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Utility] Reclaimer Dec 6, 2019 11:55 PM (Total replies: 15)

Reclaimer is the successor to Adjutant. It was built from the ground up with flexibility in mind, and while the main library file still has the name 'Adjutant' it is not the same as the original Adjutant and does not have the same code base. It does however offer most of the same functionality, and unlike the original Adjutant it is flexible enough to add even more in future.

Instead of some fixed panels and tabs that cannot be changed other than resizing, the UI for Reclaimer allows you to drag and drop tabs and panels wherever you want or even move them out to separate windows. This allows you to open as many files at the same time as your computer can handle, and even view them side by side at the same time. Those of you familiar with Visual Studio should pick up on the new UI with no trouble at all, as the design is modeled directly off the Visual Studio UI. It also has the ability to switch between a number different themes at any time.

Reclaimer currently supports most kinds of .map files from Halo 1 to Halo 4 as well as decompressed .s3dpak files from Halo CE Anniversary (CEA). The current feature set is support of bitmaps, models and BSPs from Halo 1 to Halo Reach, and bitmaps from Halo 4 and CEA. Models can be saved to AMF or JMS formats and textures can be saved to DDS, TIF or PNG. Note the JMS support in Reclaimer should work for models with multiple permutations whereas the original Adjutant did not support this.

Apart from setting the theme there is currently no UI or menu to change the settings. When you first open and close the app it will generate a settings.json file in the same folder. This file can be edited to change settings.
The main settings you may want to change are for the batch extraction. In the settings file there is a section named "Reclaimer.Plugins.BatchExtractPlugin". Under this section are the following settings:

• DataFolder - the path where extracted files will be saved. The path must be enclosed in double quotes and any backslahes must be doubled (ie "C:\\new folder")

• PromptForFolder - either "true" or "false" (no quotes). True to ask where to save the files each time you do a batch extract. False to always save to the specified folder. Default is true.

• OverwriteExisting - either "true" or "false" (no quotes). True to overwrite existing files in the batch extract folder. False to skip any tags where the file already exists. Default is true.

• FolderMode - must be one of the following (with quotes)

• "Hierarchy" - (default) extract tags into sub-folders based on their tag path

• "TagClass" - extract tags into sub-folders based on their tag class

• "Hybrid" - extract tags into sub-folders based on their tag class, then within each class put them in sub-folders based on their tag path

• BitmapFormat - either "TIF", "PNG" or "DDS" (with quotes). Default is TIF.

• BitmapMode - must be one of the following (with quotes)

• "Default" - (default) all colour channels are saved in the same file

• "Bgr24" - all colour channels are saved in the same file except alpha, which is discarded

• "IsolateAlpha" - BGR channels will be saved to a file ending in _hue and the alpha channel will be saved to a file ending in _alpha

• "IsolateAll" - every channel will be saved to a separate file

• "MixedIsolate" - if the tag name ends in "multi", "multipurpose" or "cc" then IsolateAll will be used. Otherwise, IsolateAlpha will be used.

• ModelFormat - currently only "AMF" is supported.

Download the Reclaimer installer: http://www.mediafire.com/file/0mfmwdsmn37i4rx/Setup-Reclaimer-v1.0.112.msi/file

Download the AMF importer script for 3DS MAX: http://www.mediafire.com/file/evxxoet6f6iupdd/AMF2.ms/file

Notes
When you first open model or BSP files they will open in the meta viewer. To open with the model viewer right-click on the tag and select 'open with'. You can then chose the model viewer and set it as the default viewer. This is per title, so you will have to do it once for each Halo game.
There are some features Reclaimer does not have yet that were available in the original Adjutant, including sound extraction and model/BSP support for Halo4.

What comes next depends on feedback and what people are most interested in, or if there even is any interest. Some things I'd like to get around to eventually are a UI for editing settings, recursive bitmap exports, Halo 3/Reach sound extraction, Halo 4 model/BSP extraction, Halo 1 Xbox support, Halo 5 Forge support, Halo Online support, MCC PC support.
Edited by Gravemind on Dec 13, 2019 at 03:11 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Aug 10, 2019 10:00 AM (Total replies: 979)

Quote: --- Original message by: supersniper
Hey so I have 3ds max 8 and the AMF2 importer script was coded with a function that was introduce in 3ds max 9. I am using max8 because it's the most compatible for halo 2 vista.

However I cannot import the extracted geometry because of the script error.

The error is the dotNetControl function not existing in 3dx max 8 or lower.
Source

After looking at the script source it is the tvRegions UI control to present all the options.

Quote:
rollout mainRollout "AMF Importer v2.1" width:368 height:488
(
GroupBox grp_load "Load File" pos:[8,8] width:352 height:72
button btn_load "Load Model File" pos:[120,32] width:122 height:29

label lbl_selMesh "Select Meshes:" pos:[8,88] width:96 height:16 enabled:false
dotNetControl tvRegions "System.Windows.Forms.TreeView" pos:[8,104] width:184 height:296

I can probably change this but if Gravemind is still around, will you make a 3ds max 8 compatible script?

I can't guarantee there won't be more compatibility issues, but I removed the TreeView so maybe it will work with Max 8 now:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/nd143fuxcy5kp10/AMF2_No_TreeView.ms/file

@SgtFlex unless you specifically want the bones to be spheres instead of diamonds then the standard AMF script should be fine. There's an option called "SetBoneEnable" - if you untick this the bones will be unlocked from their parent which will make it work better with the animation imports.
If that still doesn't work then check the envelopes and make sure all the skin weights look correct. If that doesn't work then I'm not sure what the issue could be.

@videoman

Quote: --- Original message by: LaikaGlove

• Extract Animations:

• 5. You can compile right into Halo CE OR import onto an existing model using the provided Animation_Source_Importer maxscript.

• Included in the .zip are some maxscripts to aide in viewing the files if you want to modify the files before compiling or just to view the files in 3ds max. All scripts tested in gmax and 3ds max 2019.

Maxscripts:

• Animation_Source_Importer_v1-0-0.ms - Can be used to import the extracted animation source files (jma/jmo/jmr/etc.) onto an extracted model

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Jul 3, 2019 10:40 PM (Total replies: 979)

BC stands for block compression. There are a number of standard compression methods used to compress images - the BC formats are among them. They work by compressing small sections (blocks) of the image separately rather than the image as a whole.

• BC1 is DXT1

• BC2 is DXT2/3

• BC3 is DXT4/5

If I remember correctly BC4/BC5 are also known as ATI1/ATI2. I don't know of any common names for BC6 and 7.
    Xbox 360 also supports some modified versions of the standard BC formats.

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Jul 3, 2019 07:57 PM (Total replies: 979)

I am signed up for flighting but I'm not surprised I didn't make the first flight.

If H2A is like CEA, then the maps will be almost identical but with the bitmaps all moved into the Saber files instead of a map file. The Saber files may be completely different or very similar to the CEA ones though - only time will tell.

If by decoder you are referring the the bitmaps stuff I mentioned previously, then Adjutant used most of the same bitmap decoders as the old Alteration and Darkfall tools. For my new project I've made my own ones, so far I've covered BC1 to BC5 and a handful of xbox variations. BC7 isn't as straight forward as 1-5 though so I haven't spent any time on it since it isn't used until Halo5, and a decoder is only needed if you want to use a format other than DDS anyway.

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Jul 2, 2019 08:42 PM (Total replies: 979)

Quote: --- Original message by: lomopo28
    This is great to hear, have you compiled any information about the new map formats (apart from reversed headers)?

I'll have to wait until either the game is released or I'm part of a flight to look at the files but from what I've been told the MCC map files aren't too different from the 360 ones and have the exact same tag list.
    I did get Halo 5 partially working though, but it was far too buggy to be of any use and a lot of the bitmaps are using BC7 which I haven't made a decoder for yet.

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Jul 1, 2019 07:31 PM (Total replies: 979)

Quote: --- Original message by: videoman
    animation extraction

You're in luck because Bonobo can do just that. There's a thread for it, should be on the first or second page.

Quote: --- Original message by: lomopo28
    Will we be seeing updates to support the latest map format from PC MCC?

Adjutant is essentially discontinued, though I am working on a new project which I likely will eventually support the MCC PC maps with, among other things. With work and other commitments taking up most of my time progress on the new project has been slow, though, so it may not be ready until a while after MCC PC is fully released.
    Edited by Gravemind on Jul 1, 2019 at 08:07 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Nov 3, 2018 08:13 PM (Total replies: 979)

Not for a lack of interest, but a lack of time.
    Most development work on Adjutant was done when I was in school and university; the daily grind has replaced most of the free time I used to have.

Regardless, there's not too much more that could be added.
    I looked into Halo 5 some time ago when Forge made it to PC. While it's similar to previous games in that it still uses a tag system, Adjutant just isn't flexible enough to support the difference in how the tags are stored without major changes.
    Halo Online on the other hand I haven't really looked at on account of the majority of its assets can already be obtained from Halo 3 and 4, so there's little to gain from it.

As for plans; I have been slowly chipping away at a successor to Adjutant though I can't guarantee it will ever see the light of day due to how slow the progress is. If it's ever finished, or at least has a decent feature set, then I'll certainly release it. At this stage though it's just a foundation and nothing more.

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Feb 11, 2017 06:34 AM (Total replies: 979)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/v4clvesqth2cawk/sounds.7z
    They're not perfect but they're usable.

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Sep 20, 2015 10:36 PM (Total replies: 979)

This should resolve the sound issues that came with 4.1. It also fixes H3B maps not working from 4.1.

As for sounds that say 'Unsupported sound type', that's because they're not supported - it's not a bug. This is because towav doesn't seem to support 4 and 6 channel XMA sounds, so Adjutant is only able to send it mono and stereo sounds.

Additionally, multilingual announcer sounds are problematic since they contain multiple copies of each sound permutation (one for each language) which isn't accounted for in the permutation separation process. The best way to get all permutations from them is to use 'save all as single' in the raw extractor tab. This will extract all permutations in all languages to a single wav file, from which you can cut out the parts you want to use.

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Sep 6, 2015 09:56 PM (Total replies: 979)

Quote: --- Original message by: DoodleSama
    Bumping this thread to request a .tga option for saving bitmaps if possible, since they don't suffer the transparency problem .png and .tif seems to be having and without needing a third-party plugin to open it in Photoshop like .dds.

Photoshop automatically merges the alpha channel into the RGB channels on PNG and TIF files. To separate the alpha and display opaque RGB, select Layer0 and from the menu select Layer>Layer Mask>From Transparency. Then right-click the layer and select Disable Layer Mask.

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant News and Info! Apr 9, 2014 12:01 AM (Total replies: 979)

Quote: --- Original message by: SupaTrolol
    I'd like to personally thank any and all who have worked on this over the years, even the legendary Gravemind himself, because they built the foundation to what this is now.

The "foundation" would be Alteration, built by Anthony and Detox. From there is where I learned almost everything I know about how the Halo maps work, and they deserve that credit. Legendary is also an overstatement.

Halo CE General Discussion » Poll for Mappers May 22, 2013 11:32 PM (Total replies: 54)

Quote: Do you agree that someone who keeps their work for themselves and shows it off is wrong?*
    (zteam, gravemind, protected maps, cmt)

What?

Halo CE General Discussion » [App] Adjutant 2 Apr 17, 2013 01:31 AM (Total replies: 1487)

If you're asking me, I have no idea. Similar to the Adjutant release being unrelated to the tag progress, the tag progress has nothing to do with me. I'm not working on or with the tag porting.

Time: Sun December 15, 2019 8:43 AM 250 ms.
    A Halo Maps Website