A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Twinreaper
About Contact
Last Post: Feb 11, 2017 09:43 AM
Interests:
Your Age: 37
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Twinreaper has contributed to 336 posts out of 460848 total posts (.07%) in 2,457 days (.14 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » Is Project Cartographer Down? Feb 11, 2017 09:43 AM (Total replies: 1)

You won't find info here. Head over to it's home at halo2vista.com to find news and info.

Since no one can ever simply answer a question around here without run-around bullcrap, I'll be quick and precise. You can make mp maps and most mp content, but you cannot modify sp content nor can you extract it.

H2PC's HEK was severly lobatomized forcing a LOT of possible custom content impossible. The team I used to co-lead did a lot of work to restore lost functionality and opened up a lot of new content that works without 3rd party, or game breaking modifications to the mainmenu map file.

To date, here is a quick list of what you can make that works...

bitmaps
shaders
collision models (manually by hand using a base coll)
physics models (manually by hand using a base phmo)
scenery
crates
machines
ai
ai dialog
bsp's
render models (convert ce to h2)
cinematic intros
limited sp maps (players dont sync)
weapons
vehicles
equipment
sounds
effects
weather
lots of others.....im sleepy

Surfice to say that the methods are not easy but do yield good results. As for the aformentioned better mods with CE......not really. I can invoke the post process of shaders and lighting without an OS equivilant, I can script anything in CE in H2, the poly and map limits are higher. The only difference is that the animation raw, campaign tags and coll/phmo compiling are not present in the game. So, if you like multiplayer only and don't care about campaign, go check out h2pc.org to learn more about what you can do and learn how to do it.
Edited by Twinreaper on Jan 28, 2017 at 07:18 PM
Edited by Twinreaper on Jan 28, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Edited by Twinreaper on Jan 28, 2017 at 07:22 PM

I'm too lazy to rar the file up and host it, so instead, register here at our old H2X stomping ground and get it direct...

http://remnantmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1325

As for batch extracting, it's in the plain options so there isn't much I cand irect you to do. As far as formats, iirc it rips them in wav format.

You need to extract the sounds from the Xbox side. While sound related tags are fully compatible with CE ones, H2V is not so easily ripped. There seems to be a major tag block difference in terms of secondary data which results in crashing when opening certain sound types in any application, including the H2EK. There are basic sounds already available in the EK, but sadly only mutiplayer ones.

Use Entity and grab the stock maps for H2X. From what I recall, Troy implimented batch extraction in version 3.18 of Entity.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 5 forge as a map creation tool Sep 17, 2016 09:54 PM (Total replies: 35)

^^ So what are you looking for? A Windows 8 or Windows 10 product key? If the answer is yes, I have quite a few unused ones in MSDN account. I would be happy to give you one.

I may actually present something for once. Been workin on getting the ODST map part, right before the suspension cable walk, to work right and turn it into a FF map. We'll see...

This is actually a very awesome release. I was thinking about re-installing CE and the HEK just to mess around and this actually helps me NOT waste time trying to locate all the community stuff on backup dvd's (if I still have them), and will configure it all for me. Epic win. Thanks T, great job!

Halo CE General Discussion » Modeling software & other questions Aug 1, 2016 07:45 AM (Total replies: 35)

As already stated, it is ALWAYS a good idea to keep a few versions of Max handy. You can easily setup a github or label each file with a version extension to keep things organized.

Aside from the torrent/illegal links to obtain pre 2010 versions, you can signup for FREE student software from Autodesk, and get everything you need. If your going to school, look for the links on Autodesk.

As for exporters, both Blitz and Blue are buggy so go with Junglegym.

Believe me Sniper, I have been patient but my hopes have dwindled substatialy. At this point unless I finally get custom animations, collision, physics models, render_models, sounds along with a custom shared and sp shared resource to compile and work in the EK.....I have nothing left.

There is also the 20mb map limit that literally stops a LOT of thinhs from happening. Yes I can create basic collision physics for crate and scenery items. But in order to add more complex items to a map I need compiling to work. Having to add those items into a map as instanced geometry just to make things look complete, leave no room for actual good geometry and greatly inhibits gameplay value.

I have worked tirelessly with Korns private H2EK source code in hopes of finishing and completeing what he couldnt.....but in the end I couldnt do it either. From a content perspective, gametypes, server side scripting and co op items will do little to nothing to reinvent or repopulate the game unless we can offer an experience that matches something from at least the last decade of Halo online gaming.

Now unless someone finds a way to efficiently script in a server and client along with compiling methid of using outide raw resources in-game...my hopes are not high. I will continue my own work off and on in regards to map and tag content in hopes that usage of said materials may be able to one day be of use.

IfI come accross as whiney, it isnt meant to be that, its utter frustration. After nearly 10 years of devoting myself to the game, we are left still yet again high and dry. Its not you that im frustrated with, its the lack of HEK we have to work with, and the 0 support from Microsoft.

As much as I would enjoy passing my knowledge along to someone else who wants to carry the torch, at this point there is nothing gratifying for me in the game any longer. So much to the point that my almost 40g of personal source material will never be worked on or conpleted.

I did not know that you hadnt been around long enough to enjoy Halo from the start, from an expert modding perspective. For that I apologize and simply just wish you well in you endevours.

I'm just not sure of the path this is taking. Why such a strong push for force loading multiplayer in a campaign environment? Even the progress that was made in the form of multiplayer AI is about a 1/32nd of what CE achieved. WITHOUT the ability to produce actual custom maps with full shared extracted or compiled resources, nothing will get done.

It's not a simple as just pointing to a resource directory, and using a hook to search and load that tag or dependent data. If that were the case, we would have made full Firefight style maps years ago.

Bonus Questikn: Why such a strong focus on bringing co op anyway? After nearly 15 years...playing Halo 2 campaign regardless of elementary tweaking, is very stale and quite pointless in my opinion. If people really really wanted to play H2 co op, they could do so in less time and less frustration by buying an Xbox Gen 1, and using Tunggle or Xlink.

Co-Op isn't a networking issue, it's an engine issue. Similar to CE, Halo 2's version of Blam! does not sync certain data types across client and host. The campaign engine is required to enable AI features, which is why specifically in H2, the only mods we were able to achieve involving AI, is to force load a multiplayer map using the engine switch method.

Even the advanced mods that had some sort of co op, the secondary player would not spawn if they died, and bsp loading would be effected, aka, secondary players could not traverse the length of the map properly.

As for unlocking the H2EK, thats not gonna happen. Base code references were removed from Tool, Sapien and Guerilla involving animation, render models, collision geometry and physics. The only method we currently have to get custom models into game, is by converting CE compiled gbx models into H2 render models....which only works properly about 30% of the time.

So unless someone out there figures out exactly how to write a custom compiler to create these otems and an appropriate exporter for the max/maya software, its not gonna happen.

Indeed it was October 2015 that the Halo 2 Master Server last functioned. Since then the H2MT has made repeated attempts to reach and obtain information about it, but nothing has been reterned. For some reason the thread for it over at H2PC isnt there, like sniper or kant deleted it, not sure why. But for shiz and giggles, you can head over and track down the shotty server support for sure.

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » How to make this kind of bitmaps ? Feb 20, 2016 07:11 AM (Total replies: 3)

Well its a bit complicated, but to directly answer your question no they are not animated bitmaps. Well I guess you could call them animated?

Most bitmaps for HUDs are either "interface" or simple "2d textures" that have function attributes assigned in the shaders.

As for Interface style or any other type that requires an overlay like an ammo counter on the AR or Battlerifle, tool in the H2EK has no documentation for properly setting up a source image or compiling it in tact. To do so, you have to manually compute the pixel offsets, registration points and then manually add that information by adding additional "bitmap" chunks in the bitmap tag.

It's a complicated long process if you have never manually created animation style overlay bitmaps, but it can be done.

First ever reported actual case of this type was when I sucessfully created the true halo reach dmr ammo counter and storm br counters.

Here is a link to some HUD work that Kirby did...

http://www.halo2vista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=649

Well Kills started all this Johnny Blaze around 2008. The team existed and worked for about 3 years before I came in and co-led it. Most of the content came about when I joined up as my previous engine knowledge helped fascilitate a lot.

So to really answer your question and stop feeding my own e-penis.....the team has worked for 8 years now on all of the stuff you see.

Good day gents, since Kills and the rest of the team have been officially off development and semi-retired from the group I have decided to post up our collective works. Since the move to Google Drive, Kills left our content inaccessible to pretty much anyone outside the H2MT. Below is a link to a live version of our defunct H2MT Repo as well as the last current version of our live website featuring all out work. The only links you cannot access for certain reasons, is the sub content labeled "Kills alone, Twinreaper and Killer Chief".

All i ask is that you do not reuse our content or apps for your own branding or redistribution with tweaks. If you want to use our content for mapping or private use, that is fine. If you need approval to distribute tags or content, just drop me a line with your request and i will consider it. thanks to everyone who kept us motivated and going to bring you this fantastic quality content!!!

http://vyrantstudios.azurewebsites.net/index.html

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » I need download links, please!!! Feb 10, 2016 08:45 AM (Total replies: 13)

I've run into a little problem. It seems the team has acquired over 5.6gig of source for just our strict H2MT repo that Sparky wanted. I have no idea where I am going to post it up so i might just ftp it up to my personal site and give people who want access, said access to it.

There is a LOT of stuff in there, mostly it's in website form with all the htaccess and html pages in tact, a mirror of our old repo website if you will. Again there is a LOT of stuff and I cannot guarantee what's old or new or updated.

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » I need download links, please!!! Feb 9, 2016 08:46 PM (Total replies: 13)

I uploaded a bunch of stuff to the Utilities section a few minutes ago. Depending on how long it takes Dennis to go through and check the material, I guess you could see them as early as tomorrow maybe?

On a side note, if there is any interest for tags at all, I would be happy to finally share some of my secret strict Kills and me weapons and junk. Let me know and I will go through them and see what I can upload.

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » I need download links, please!!! Feb 7, 2016 09:14 PM (Total replies: 13)

As long as Dennis wouldnt have a problem with any of, i'll upload them to the utilities section on wednesday.

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » I need download links, please!!! Feb 7, 2016 08:33 AM (Total replies: 13)

Not sure if you have any of these, but these are official mod tools we use over at H2MT. Included is an AI tool, Blu Trainer, Ambiguous, Mr Mohawk and two version of Gravemind and also includes the xliveless modified xlive.dll file.

http://vyrantstudios.azurewebsites.net/H2V_apps.rar

Time: Fri February 24, 2017 6:50 PM 313 ms.
A Halo Maps Website