A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Spartan314
About Contact
Last Post: Feb 19, 2019 09:37 PM
Interests: I have interests.
Your Age: Unofficial adult
What Games do you play: All Halo on PC, Assassins' Creed (up until III), Age of Mythology, Batman Arkham
Former biped rigger & FP animator

Post Statistics
Spartan314 has contributed to 5651 posts out of 468194 total posts (1.21%) in 3,109 days (1.82 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Jesse's Thread of Unamazing Things. Feb 19, 2019 09:37 PM (Total replies: 403)

Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
1. The Pit (more on that later.)
2. Forge World?...
3. Secret map :D
4. create a Reach HUD.
5. Make a decent Reach tagset.
6. Finish the tags used in The Pit.
7. Finish all the above!
8. Use the h2 human\elite tags in a map

What was the secret map?

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Feb 19, 2019 08:24 PM (Total replies: 211)

oh my
this is really, really nice

E: Previous update to the top of the page
Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Also

Remember this guy? The BSP that was way too detailed and could never get ingame?

The raw BSP clocked in at 65k polys. Far too many. Serious optimizing and reconstruction got it to just under 41k, which is comparable to the Outskirts BSP. I had to rebuild half the level, which means re-doing the entire BSP's uvmaps. But doing so allowed (forced) me to replace all the materials, and get the thing ingame.

Also, teh_lag recently replied to a PM and gave some advice (as well as a huge boost to morale) regarding terrain portals. Turns out they suck as much as I thought they did, and there's no secret about them. Just trial, and error, and error, and error. The BSPs in the video didn't have any terrain portals, hence the huge amount of geometry flickering.

Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 19, 2019 at 05:02 PM

Edited by Spartan314 on Feb 19, 2019 at 08:25 PM

I thought I would never see the day I got to play through the insurrectionist map.
This is quality (y)

Halo CE General Discussion » Blood Gulch MOD !!!! [W.I.P.] Feb 18, 2019 11:27 PM (Total replies: 114)

Those are some beefy sounds

Halo CE General Discussion » Dual Wielding AI Idea Feb 8, 2019 05:11 PM (Total replies: 3)

A sword in one hand and a gun in the other? Sounds wicked

Halo CE General Discussion » Haloce.exe isn't launching Feb 2, 2019 06:37 PM (Total replies: 3)

I dunno if it'll help but have you set your graphics card to process the .exe with the high-performance.
Maybe it's not working because it's using the integrated graphics card.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Jan 24, 2019 07:55 PM (Total replies: 211)

Wow now this is a name I haven't seen in a long time

Halo CE General Discussion » Hamp's Christmas Spectacular 2018 Jan 14, 2019 09:56 PM (Total replies: 12)

Bump for potential updates

I was confused at first because I remembered them as vehicles
Very cool work!

Halo CE General Discussion » Omega Campaign Released! - player feedback Jan 4, 2019 08:51 PM (Total replies: 14)

Yeah that's never worked out for me.
I just get a no image with the alpha

E: I got some screens.
Some light source structure would be nice here.

These are the floating things I spoke about earlier.

Edited by Spartan314 on Jan 4, 2019 at 09:23 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Omega Campaign Released! - player feedback Jan 3, 2019 05:20 AM (Total replies: 14)

Just wanted to make an input because I finally got around to playing this.
Firstly, loved the cohesiveness. Nothing particularly felt out of place.
Secondly, I particularly liked the attention to detail, the blood decals were a very nice touch.

E: I got the screeenshots
Edited by Spartan314 on Jan 4, 2019 at 09:20 PM

Well OP if you found anything out you're more than welcome to explain how you did it.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Creating burst fire weapons? Jan 1, 2019 08:50 PM (Total replies: 3)

Don't know much about burst fire but here's a post made by Ifafudafi 5 years ago.
Quote: --- Original message by: Ifafudafi
Battle Rifle Burst

Getting a 3-round burst has been pretty much a "solved" problem for most of HCE's life -- have the weapon overcharge instantly, and discharge a spew for just long enough to get 3 rounds off. However, this has been accompanied with a couple of significant limitations:

-An extra tick of delay happens between pulling the trigger and the first shot, due to having to "charge"
-The burst happens at a rate of 1 bullet per tick, which can feel compressed and awkward
-Rate of fire takes a significant hit

(1 tick is 1/30 of a second, the speed at which HCE updates just about everything)

The first issue is pretty much unavoidable, but further experimentation has finally allowed us to solve the other two.

To separate the burst, each round is set to overheat the weapon instantaneously. The heat decay rate is maxed (1), and the heat recovery threshold is aligned to have the gun recover after 1 tick (0.96). The spew time is increased to where the BR now "fires" the equivalent of 6 shots per burst; but by overheating every other shot, the end result is 3 bullets fired every 2 ticks, a much more tactilely satisfying and practically applicable rate.

Raising the rate of fire tied into a "discovery" (really a years-late realization) about rate of fire, related to the game's 30-ticks-a-second update speed. During any given tick, a weapon can only be "firing" or "not firing," meaning that rates of fire are restricted to divisors of 30, i.e.:

1 bullet every tick (30 rounds/second)
1 bullet every 2 ticks (15 rounds/second)
1 bullet every 3 ticks (10 rounds/second)
1 bullet every 4 ticks (7.5 rounds/second)

…and so on. If an "invalid" RoF value is put into the tag, HCE will round the rate of fire down to the nearest "valid" number; so, if a value of 25 was given to a weapon, it would actually only fire at 15 rounds/sec in-game.

Between the charging and the overheating, the BR's rate of fire is effectively much lower than the inputted value. Previously ignorant of the above restrictions, seeing no net effect to raising the rate of fire had given us the impression that it simply couldn't be raised; however, now that we know, we simply have to up the value much higher (the BR's RoF is set at 7.5, but fires at around a still-comfortable 2.5 bursts/sec).

Here's a video demonstrating the difference. You can also see the color-changing method described above working here. (the display is still pending the same treatment as the AR shown in Monday's pool video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPHzjmnaYU

Halo CE General Discussion » [PROJECT] GTA_Halo by Halo CE Collective. Dec 31, 2018 11:22 PM (Total replies: 6)

Just wanna say I'm loving the desert city aesthetic.
Had a BSP I built a long time ago with a similar idea but with tunnels interconnecting underneath.

Halo CE General Discussion » Sad Christmas Dec 27, 2018 01:13 AM (Total replies: 4)

tfw no Christmas map from Kirby this year

Halo CE General Discussion » Planet Flood Egypt [RELEASE] Dec 27, 2018 01:12 AM (Total replies: 8)

The map I was waiting for my whole life

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Vuthakral's Tagset Dec 27, 2018 01:11 AM (Total replies: 12)

I like moar hexagons on my covenant

How did you manage the animations for the bipeds?

Halo CE General Discussion » CE3ish Video Casting Call Dec 11, 2018 06:46 AM (Total replies: 24)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
It's way stupider

I've changed my mind.
I would participate in this.

Halo CE General Discussion » CE3ish Video Casting Call Dec 9, 2018 10:56 AM (Total replies: 24)

Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117
absolute failures like myself who produce garbage

While your enthusiasm is very commendable I must ask: Why do you keep doing this self-deprecating thing?
Do you have low self esteem or something
It's really not necessary, everybody was a beginner at some point
Unless that's your fetish, in which case is understandable I guess, power to you and all that

I could participate in this
Sounds fun

Time: Sat February 23, 2019 7:20 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website