A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Yesterday @ 02:14 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 457 posts out of 465243 total posts (.10%) in 1,323 days (.35 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Bitmap Tag Offsets and Structure Yesterday @ 02:14 PM (Total replies: 3)

Aw fudge (. I completely forgot OpenSauce existed for like 25 minutes.

.yelo is gonna make this significantly more difficult, but you've given me all the tools I need. Should be able to get it finished by tonight. Thanks for your help!

edit:

Literally, white papers
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 19, 2018 at 02:40 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Bitmap Tag Offsets and Structure Yesterday @ 01:15 PM (Total replies: 3)

I'm looking for the structure and offsets for a bitmap and sound tag that's already been compiled into a map.

Specifically, I need the offset inside the tag to where the flag for internal/externally stored bitmaps and sounds are. Additionally, if there's any variations to how the tag is stored in a CE .map file vs a PC .map file, that's important as well.

Not info on the bitmaps.map file and it's data, not info on a .bitmap tag from Guerilla. A compiled [BITM] class tag inside a .map file for PC or CE.

Any help would be appreciated and will be immediately used for a useful update to an already useful tool.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Elite 2 hand animations Yesterday @ 06:59 AM (Total replies: 1)

Quote: --- Original message by: Elote
So I'm using the CMT elite animations on a default elite, the animations work normally but the weapon is inside the elite's torso facing upwards. I'm assuming this is a node issue? I went into guerilla and added the carbine markers to the gbxmodel but that didn't do anything notable. How do I fix it so the weapon is held in the elite's hands?

The animations don't work normally, if they did the weapon wouldn't be inside the elite's torso facing upwards.

You can't mix and match models and animations unless they share the same bone structure. The CMT elite's animations and the stock elite do share the same bones, but CMT's elite has several new markers for holding weapons such as the carbine one you found. The animations for CMT's elite tells him to hold a weapon at the carbine marker.

It's one thing to add a marker in guerilla, it's another to make sure it's linked up properly.

Did you change the node index of your added carbine marker to 21, so that it's linked to the right hand bone? Did you also add markers for the sword and other missing content?

The correct answer is; stop what you're doing because this isn't supposed to work this way. Use the CMT elite with the CMT biped.

But, if you want to try anyway, we'll go the loony bin together

Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 19, 2018 at 08:46 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Yesterday @ 04:38 AM (Total replies: 131)

That also means replacing all scenery placements.

But you guys are right, I've felt the same way. Looking into that now

Edit:

Speaking of scenery placements, if anyone is looking to assist the project there are a few things I can now pass off onto others;

• Scenery Placement

• Organizing/Setting Up AI and Bipeds. Mix of CMT and Custom Models.

• Organizing/Setting Up Weapons. Mix of CMT and Custom Models

• Organizing/Setting Up Vehicles. All CMT tags.

All of the above are fairly large tasks. Scenery placement is over 6 very big BSPs. Organzing/Setting Up refers to taking the tagsets, ensuring balance is accurate/relative across all content and that all references are setup properly, and moving them into specific folders. To do that I have a tool that will allow you to migrate tag directories while keeping references intact.

Any of the above being taken off my plate allows me to dedicate more time to modeling, making shaders and most importantly scripting. I have a lot of code that needs to be written, and a lot of content to go alongside it. But the above tasks are all simple, labor intensive processes that will take a ton of time away. Any time volunteered will vastly improve the features available in the final product. And if you think you may know anyone who would like to help, please link them here.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 19, 2018 at 08:57 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Jan 18, 2018 12:02 PM (Total replies: 131)

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Can't seem to find any AI

Quote:
This update removes nearly all of the AI from the maps. The AI setups are going to end up being reworked from the ground up. Because of shifts in the underlying BSP, the trigger volumes for the original spawn system no longer lined up, in fact they were off by a significant amount. I chose not to remake the AI just to scrap it after upload.

My AI was inefficiently programmed and could not continue this journey with us.

I used trigger volumes to determine where the player was and where to spawn AI. Recently, I moved my BSP's by about half a map-length in 3DS max by mistake. I was hoping to get a download out, because I will be deleting ALL the AI spawns and scripts and beginning from scratch. It would have been awhile before another release was ready. But then I saw the trigger volumes were off, and thus the AI weren't spawning or if they were, it was across the map.

My options were; recreate every single trigger volume to get a release, then delete them all to start over from scratch.

Or; release the map without AI.

This started out with 3 BSP structures; Outskirts/Turf, Headlonger and New Mombasa. Adding Ivory Tower, Tombstone, The Bridge and The Financial District nearly doubled the map's playable area. The amount of scripting if I did all 6 BSP structures would have been over 850 commands, just to spawn my AI. Another 250 to actually place them inside the map, 450 to track where the player is and 360 to spawn/place marines that follow the player.

For those keeping score at home, that's over 1900 commands for AI. That's not including any scripts for events, or saving equipment, or unlocking content. That's 1900 lines of AI scripts. Kirby/Shadow made scripts for CMT's SPV3 and B30 Evolved. It allowed vehicle boarding, EMP grenades, alternate firing modes, tracking player's vehicles, warthog healthpacks, armor abilities, and every other awesome thing you thought "Wow how'd they do that". After removing comments and outdated scripts, there's only 750-800 commands. Which is less than half of what it would take me to spawn and place my AI. That's not acceptable.

So they have to go. They can't take this journey with us. I'm already beginning to add the new AI. I'll be adding a small structure underneath the BSP areas. This area will overlap for all BSP structures, and all AI spawns will take place from there and move to their respective zones. This will take off about 650 commands alone, even without making any other adjustments to the setup, and takes about 50-60 objects out of the scenario tag as well.

More to come, but this is the last you'll get to play for quite a few months time. Feel free to rip the BSPs with refinery and make your own maps out them. If you do, remake the portals on Headlonger and New Mombasa. Don't try to use Financial District, too many faces, too poor of portalling.

Edit: I keep thinking I have 5 BSP structures. I have 6, modified the numbers up above to more accurately reflect.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 18, 2018 at 12:09 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
I copy and paste the new weapon tags into the weapons folder

NO!

Open a map in HEK+ or Refinery. See how everything is organized by folder, or a hierarchy? See how it goes weapons/assault rifle/assault rifle?

See how that matches your tags folder exactly?

Every tag contains references to another tag. The data used to "reference" it is the filepath relative to the tags folder.

So, if your AR is in Halo Custom Edition\tags\weapons\assault rifle\assault rifle.weapon

The relative tagpath is weapons\assault rifle\assault rifle.weapon

Now, when you rip tags out of a map or download them, they are extracted in their relative path format. So extracting an assault rifle with refinery/HEK+, the assault rifle.weapon file is placed inside a folder called assault rifle. and that Assault Rifle folder is placed inside a folder called weapons. And that weapons folder is placed inside your tags folder.

So when you download tags or extract them, you CANNOT move them. If you do, the relative filepath is now pointing to a non-existent file and that's where your errors telling you to contact a bungie programmer come from.

So, when you download tags rip all the folders directly to the TAGS folder. And when you rip them using HEK+ or Refinery, ALWAYS select recursive and always extract to the tags folder. NEVER overwrite.

Halo CE General Discussion » quick question Jan 17, 2018 09:04 AM (Total replies: 6)

Bipeds are built as a mesh connected to bones, just like a real body.

The mesh is the 3 dimensional model. Bones are structures that each vert is grouped onto, and mimics the bone structure of the creature you're emulating. The master chief is a jumbo sized human; the elites have an extra joint in their feet similar to a horse's.

The collision model is a low-poly version of the regular model. Calculating when objects collide (my bullet and your left hand) can be complex when done with high poly models. Using a low poly model that gives a rough shape makes the calculations far simpler.

When a biped is created, it's "rigged" to the bones, and then exported in game. This makes animating simpler and more realistic; just as our muscles move our bones and our groups (arms/legs/torso/head) stay together, warping at the connecting points (shoulders/hips/neck)

The animations don't move individual vertices, they move the bones. The vertices are "rigged" to the bones, so when the bones move the vertices do too. This is how an animation is done; biped rigged to a bone, the bones move. The collision model is also separated into sections and rigged to the appropriate bones. Now if my character raises his gun, and you shoot my hand, the collision model will be in the same place as the regular model and the shot will register. Everything works perfectly!

But, what happens when an animation for the Elite, with his horse feet, is used alongside the model of the master chief? The bones don't match; I tell the chief to move left_hoof but he doesn't have that bone. The game throws an error message saying that the animation graph doesn't match. It also throws an error message that the collision doesn't match, because it won't be able to animate that either.

So, how does all this apply to you?

Your using an updated animation graph with a different model. If the updated animations were based on the same boneset as your updated, this would be fine. But because in later games they added extra bones (for mouth movements, eyes, fingers gripping etc.), they no longer match the original Halo 1 bone structures. Also, uncheck "limp body physics" in the biped's tag as the animations are not properly setup for this feature.

To properly place an AI in your map, download the tags and then open your biped. Swap the GBX Model, Collision Model and Animation Graph that your biped has to the ones you downloaded. If all 3 of these match have the same bone structure you won't run into any of the issues you posted above.

Halo CE General Discussion » quick question Jan 17, 2018 08:07 AM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: Sargent 0
no i meant something else. See these elite bipeds(http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=6854). I want these elites to have the same ai as the ones in halo 2. Thats why i was looking for a map including an elite with halo 2 ai. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh5wQR3ugr4) see how these elites act and function like the ones in halo 2.

Ehh, you don't really know what it is you're looking at.

What you see is animations playing. There are elite animations from Halo 2. There are animations for how they walk, how they carry the weapons, how they fire. These were ripped and ported into the game, or possibly from later games.

What we call AI is a tagpair that determines when they dive from grenades, how often they look for cover, when they go berserk and charge or when they're afraid of their teammates dying and retreat.

Then there's the ingame AI engine, which takes all that data and uses it to control a biped. This is in the executable file itself. Completely untouchable. You can't port the logic code from Halo 2 into Halo 1.

Again, what you're seeing in that video is just updated models and animations. Same AI.

Halo CE General Discussion » quick question Jan 17, 2018 04:01 AM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: Sargent 0
Kind of hard to explain.

You did a terrible job explaining. Have no idea what you need.

What do you want in the end? Elites that start off with Plasma Rifles and pull out swords when they get hurt? Elites that have better looking models and visuals?

If I guessed, I think you want other Halo Custom Edition bipeds (like one you've downloaded) to use the same AI as the one in the video, where they pull out a secondary weapon after taking damage.

You can't. Well, you can of course; Using Guerilla you have to create separate Actor and Actor Variant tags for the two different weapons your AI will have. Then using the OpenSauce Guerilla, you need to create actor_variant_transform_collection tags, which will need a actor_variant_transform_out and actor_variant_transform_in tag. Those two tags determine the criteria that need to be met before the actor transforms, and what actor they transform into, respectively.

Then you need to create a .project_yellow_globals file so that you can reference your actor_variant_transform_collection tag, and then reference your project_yellow_globals in your scenario tag.

That's it, then you simply repeat the same steps for each biped that you want to do this for.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Jan 17, 2018 01:56 AM (Total replies: 131)

Updated the topic's first post. New download available.

Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 17, 2018 at 01:59 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Is there a limit for map's size? Jan 16, 2018 03:11 PM (Total replies: 12)

It's funny you say this, because my furthest BSP has a vert that is now >150K units from origin, and therefore won't compile. Was gonna come here to post something, then saw you beat me to it.

Edit: Not having put the entire level's origin at X 32,000 Y 17,000 might have been a good idea, in retrospect.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 16, 2018 at 03:13 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » update Jan 16, 2018 01:02 PM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG
I came back 4 u bb
Edited by MEGA_VKNG on Jan 16, 2018 at 10:53 AM

<3

Halo CE General Discussion » Sounds being wierd...(repost) Jan 16, 2018 07:09 AM (Total replies: 10)

Quote: --- Original message by: rcghalohell
if it requires python, it is hard figuring out how to open things

Halo CE General Discussion » update Jan 16, 2018 07:06 AM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGA_VKNG
They should have stepped on more than the screen.

I thought you had ragequit and took your ball home to never return.

If you are gonna come back, don't do it for crapposting.

Quote: --- Original message by: Reshirom200
So I copied it and it was the same outcome

To clarify, you're also running as administrator?

Quote: --- Original message by: Reshirom200
I have been trying to make a halo map for about 2 weeks, I've gotten Sapien in the bag, all I need to do is save it into a map. Now I am using windows 10 and the standard HEK (not plus) and the standard tutorial scenario. I go to CMD Prompt and do tool.exe build-cache-file levels\test\tutorial\tutorial, and it says Access is denied? What did I do wrong (sorry for my noobness :P) Can anyone help me??

Make sure you've copied CMD into your Halo CE directory, and then right-click cmd.exe and select run as administrator. It may help right-clicking tool.exe, and changing it's compatibility settings to always run as administrator.

It is important to do the same with Guerilla and Sapien, always run these tools as an administrator as well.

When programs try to make changes to files inside the Program Files folder, newer versions of Windows stop them for security and safety.

Halo CE General Discussion » Sounds being wierd...(repost) Jan 15, 2018 05:06 PM (Total replies: 10)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dabouss 15x
Thanks so much! This will definitely help me. Also I would definitely check out that android app.

Google search for Z-team's or the original Halo PC scripts. Find the mapfile that your grabbing your desired music sequence from, and look at that map's scripts for the section that plays the music and then copy/paste and adapt for your map. You'll have music similar to the ones that played by bungie.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Jan 15, 2018 12:07 PM (Total replies: 131)

Quote: --- Original message by: Lateksi
Do you fight hordes of enemies like in Firefight or is it a linear campaign?

Hordes of enemies, eventually some more scenario based events. But never linear.

Quote: --- Original message by: MrBoringCom
is there a latest update that i could download?

Maybe sooner than you think.

Halo CE General Discussion » Sounds being wierd...(repost) Jan 15, 2018 12:03 AM (Total replies: 10)

The original sound designer of the game wanted a dynamic experience with a soundtrack that would suit the gameplay, exciting when action was high and lulling back down as the fight ends.

Marty O'Donnell is a boss.

That said, because of this the game's audio is arranged in a particular manner; all the music in the game is separated into small chunks. The game's music is cut into sections and scripted to change in realtime to suit the needs of gameplay, based on how many enemies remain etc.

Instead of just making songs for the game, he took sounds and wove them into music throughout it's code.

You'll have to either make songs, or do the same.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 15, 2018 at 12:03 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mo's Editing Kit (MEK) Jan 14, 2018 08:13 PM (Total replies: 62)

Cannot install any update, says I don't have Pip. Reinstalled python, still says I don't have pip. Ran get-pip.py, says that I have pip.

Edit: Figured it out, had to install it with special settings. Read the manual I guess.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 14, 2018 at 08:17 PM

Time: Sat January 20, 2018 5:49 AM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website