A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 774 posts out of 468175 total posts (.17%) in 1,721 days (.45 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Yeah so if you think somebody is going to gain unauthorized access to your computer and then use Guerilla to execute arbitrary code, you can do whatever michelle says. Or just run everything as an admin, like I have without issues for about a decade now.

This is what happens when you don't run everything as an administrator

Halo CE General Discussion » Universal UI Mod Feb 20, 2019 04:40 PM (Total replies: 5)

lol if people are really this desperate for a new UUI I'll make an update for you guys. It's really easy to do.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Feb 19, 2019 05:00 PM (Total replies: 210)

Also

Remember this guy? The BSP that was way too detailed and could never get ingame?

The raw BSP clocked in at 65k polys. Far too many. Serious optimizing and reconstruction got it to just under 41k, which is comparable to the Outskirts BSP. I had to rebuild half the level, which means re-doing the entire BSP's uvmaps. But doing so allowed (forced) me to replace all the materials, and get the thing ingame.

Also, teh_lag recently replied to a PM and gave some advice (as well as a huge boost to morale) regarding terrain portals. Turns out they suck as much as I thought they did, and there's no secret about them. Just trial, and error, and error, and error. The BSPs in the video didn't have any terrain portals, hence the huge amount of geometry flickering.

Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 19, 2019 at 05:02 PM

Modding Halo died in '08. 2006-07 was Prime Halo Modding. What a time to be alive.

Halo CE General Discussion » Fudd and Frog Pack Feb 3, 2019 09:46 PM (Total replies: 1)

Because old topics get boring and always need to be bumped;

Why do you need these tools? To simplify some of the more mundane aspects of modding;

Fudd

Fudd is designed to be used in conjunction with 3DS Max and Adjutant. After exporting a BSP or Object Model and importing into 3DS Max, Fudd can be used to automatically compile shaders corresponding to the proper diffuse bitmaps, detail maps and normal maps extracted with Adjutant. To do this, all the bitmaps must be compiled into a single folder. This includes the normal and detail bitmaps.

Fudd Version 2.0 can compile to either stock or OSv4 formatted tags. It compiles to either the shader_environment or shader_model tag class. Your settings can be saved, including multiple cubemaps.

When opening a HMP all shaders default to the current settings. After loading, each individual shader can be modified to change which cubemap is used, change if it exports to OSv4 or stock format, and change which tag class it exports to.

xHMP is an accompanying MaxScript. xHMP reads the model and exports all the bitmap data in a format that Fudd can read. To do this, the user must first link the model to proper frames as though they were going to export to a JMS file. The new update to xHMP loads all materials before exporting. It will list how many materials, as well as how many diffuse, detail and normal maps were loaded. xHMP will not export any shader that does not have a diffuse map, and will not export +sky materials.

Fudd 2.0

Ragtime Gal

Ragtime Gal takes compiled .MAP or .YELO cache files and renames all the tags within it. This allows a user to extract the tags with Refinery and preserve the tags' references to one another. This program also has features that organize a tag based on it's tag class, deprotect tag names and place tags in subdirectories for organization.

By selecting Organize, which is enabled by default, all tags are placed into directories based on their tag class. This allows a user to take an unorganized tags folder and break it into a simplified system for extraction to a project folder. Years of tags downloaded from sources can be combined and organized with minimal effort. And the program has a Chart menu that allows the user to edit the directories that the tag classes are organized to, allowing for maximum customization and organization.

The 3.2 update includes a new Sound Override mode. Rather, it includes a Not-Renaming-External-Sounds mode which must be overridden. Any sounds tag stored in an external resource map can only be referenced by their name, so by renaming the tags inside the map file they can no longer be found by Refinery or other extraction tools. If a user wishes to use the override mode, they will have to find a different way to rename the tagnames in the external resource maps. This feature is currently not supported by Ragtime Gal.

While this may seem like a setback, it actually means that Ragtime Gal is now fully functioning as best as can be, without any known errors. I've also updated the .frog files to support some of the most common OSv4 tag formats, and fixed errors with some stock tag classes not being recognized, so less tags will be classified as unknown.

Ragtime Gal 3.2
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 4, 2019 at 03:30 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » HELP Tool.exe Won't Work! Feb 3, 2019 02:52 PM (Total replies: 22)

If you haven't already you should check your PMs

Halo CE General Discussion » Climactic way to end a mission? Feb 3, 2019 02:48 PM (Total replies: 14)

Then blow up the warthog

Cool stuff, as always. Playing from the perspective of a flood is unique and challenging, definitely a different approach and it's great seeing it developed more in depth instead of just a simple character swap.

Halo CE General Discussion » Climactic way to end a mission? Feb 3, 2019 09:16 AM (Total replies: 14)

Blow up the boss

Halo CE General Discussion » Climactic way to end a mission? Feb 2, 2019 11:04 PM (Total replies: 14)

Blow something up

Halo CE General Discussion » HCEA Texture Requests Feb 2, 2019 08:14 PM (Total replies: 206)

Quote: --- Original message by: TheLegend117YT
OHHH MY GOSH!!! YOU HAVE THE HALO CE ANNIVERSARY BSP's? Dude... I am literally begging you, please share the model and the textures PLEASE I'm dying for them. I have been searching for at least over a year, through thousands and thousands of sites, mods, tags ect. Please dude this is really seriouse to me

I believe there's a misconception;

You CAN extract BSPs from the Halo Reach game format. You cannot from the Anniversary format.

All the Multiplayer maps in Halo Anniversary are actually built in the Reach engine and use the Reach format. The SP maps however, all use the anniversary format which has not been reverse engineered yet.

We can extract the bitmaps from Anniversary, but not the BSPs.

Also, what are you going to do with those BSPs anyway? Can't put them in Halo, so unless you wanted them for a newer engine you're not going to find what you're after.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » HELP Tool.exe Won't Work! Feb 2, 2019 11:46 AM (Total replies: 22)

See how all your materials are named Ground? That's wrong.

Each material needs it's own name. Ground should be for the grass and dirt, a single special bitmap is used for this. You might name another flat_metal. Another might be sidewalk_concrete. The point is you name each material in GMAX the same as the shader you make in Guerilla.

Let's take a step back.

GMAX has materials. These are edited in GMAX and seen in the viewport. At no point are these materials ever used by Halo. When you export the shaders using to a JMS file, using ANY exporter, the exporter writes model data and the NAMES of the materials. When you compile the JMS with Tool.exe, it reads the NAMES and tries to find a shader with the same name in your TAGS folder.

A shader is for Halo. Made by guerilla, there's many different kinds. They almost all reference at least 1 bitmap. They also contain some data about reflections.

A bitmap is a 2-dimensional image that contains pixel data, usually used to add visual details to a 3-dimensional model (Diffuse Maps), sometimes used to modulate lighting or reflective properties of a 3-dimensional model (Specular or Multipurpose maps).

So when you create a material in GMAX, it's material name (Ground) needs to be the same as the shader you made in Guerilla. If you don't mind using the same shaders Bungie used, you can name your GMAX materials after them and you won't have to make new shaders. Bungie's shaders are in TAGS\levels\a10 a30 b30 b40 etc.

The only reason to setup materials in GMAX is so you can see them in GMAX. Those materials have no effect on the end result in Halo.

Also, special note since I notice you're using a sky bitmap. When you name a material +sky, Tool automagically converts those faces into the skybox. So you know how in Halo, you can sometimes get outside a level and walk ontop of invisible geometry and see the sky? Anything you name +sky becomes that invisible geometry. You'll have to use an existing sky tag, so that easter island bitmap you selected won't be displayed.

Edit: Also the Fudd tool is based off of Bluestreak, however I removed all code related to the listener. Since GMAX doesn't allow you to export data directly, and you had to copy/paste from the listener, this makes it incompatible with GMAX. Unless GMAX has been updated since '09 to allow for exporting via Maxscript
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 2, 2019 at 11:48 AM

Bump because Halomaps doesn't allow you to double post

Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 1, 2019 at 11:55 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » HELP Tool.exe Won't Work! Feb 1, 2019 09:13 AM (Total replies: 22)

It sounds like you didn't have shaders setup properly before you compiled with Tool, so Tool made them for you;

You have to create shaders in guerilla or use stock shaders. Then in 3DS max, the name of the sub material inside the multi-material needs to match the shader's name. You dont NEED to setup bitmaps in 3DS, it's for your viewing convenience.

If you compile a JMS with shaders that dont have matching names, tool will say "Hey man, what kind of shader is smooth_stone? [1]shader envirornment [2]shader model "...etc.

Then tool creates a blank shader, places it directly in TAGS and references it in your new BSP. You probably don't want that, so if all your shaders are directly in your TAGS folder, move them to a subfolder, delete your BSP and recompile it. Now Tool should automagically re-reference to where you moved the shaders and be all set.

Now, with that part out of the way, you didn't actually say what went wrong. What does "I'm still having trouble getting the BSP" mean?

Getting the BSP....Exported from 3DS max? Compiled in Tool? Opening in Sapien?

Edit;

Also, bluestreak was fantastic in like '09. Use either

Junglegym (Depending on your version of 3DS)

or

Bobbysoon's 1.04E JMS Exporter

The 1.04E supports modifiers, editable polys, marker sizes and more.
Edited by DeadHamster on Feb 1, 2019 at 09:17 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Adjutant NOT EXPORTING BSP, HELP!!! Jan 26, 2019 11:20 PM (Total replies: 13)

I can easily import just about any BSP in 3ds max 2010 using Adjutant 4.20

A lot of the BSPs I used were imported through Entity, but that was due to ignorance of adjutant existing.

I would recommend you use 3DS max for Halo. Other games may be fantastic with whatever program they're fantastic with, but for Halo there's nothing you can do in Blender/Maya/Whatever that cant be done in 3DS, and many things that can only be done in 3DS.

Find an existing hud_messages tag with Mozarilla

Edit the texts to say whatever you want. Add new ones, delete old ones, whatever. Change the names of each to match the text so you remember it, simple names. banshee1, not help_banshee_first-time_goodluckrememberingthispart

Save this file somewhere. Maybe in the same directory as your scenario. Maybe in the directory of someone else's scenario. Just save it.

In your scenario in guerilla, find the section for hud message texts. Add yours.

In your scripts, run (hud_set_help_text banshee1)

Or (hud_set_help_text help_banshee_first-time_goodluckrememberingthispart)

Your choice. Either one sets which message to display.

Then run the command (show_hud_help_text <true/false>) to set it on or off.

In stock Halo you can add this button to the stock UI. Find the sp pause menu ui widget tag and it'll reference another widget that will be a column list, this tag references OTHER widgets that should be the buttons themselves. Either copy and add a new one to the bottom, or edit an existing one to run your script.

Make the scripts static scripts, and compile them into the scenario. Then in the button widget make sure that "runs game script" is checked and then write your script name in scenario script or whatever the variable is called.

This is all off the top of my memory. If you post screenshots I can walk you through it but I have no HEK to reference.

If you want to add it to a device machine, install osV4

Edit: I misunderstood, I thought you wanted to run scripts through a UI menu.

Open up the pause menu like I say above, and find the settings menu. Make a copy, delete all the buttons and the images out of the column list and leave just the text box. Mozarilla has the ability to edit the text.

Again, no HEK. Doing this from memory.
Edited by DeadHamster on Jan 24, 2019 at 12:43 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Release: Halo Covenant Edition [Xbox] Jan 21, 2019 07:35 AM (Total replies: 8)

Quote: --- Original message by: KasperZERO
Could you explain to me what is hitscan? How could I implement something else?

Also an update is planned which may feature more health to reduce the stagger effect, plus other content based on input from the community.

Halo CE does not have any true hitscan weapon. What they do have is extremely fast projectiles.

Hitscan means when you pull the trigger there is no actual bullet that travels. Anything in the line of sight after compensating for weapon error will instantly take damage.

Think the sniper rifle; you pull the trigger the guy gets hit. Same with an AR, you pull the trigger, guy gets hit with bullets.

Plasma weapons move slowly, this gives the player time to see them, duck behind cover, move around them, etc. This is not true with the human weapons. So when you reverse roles, you have to counteract this change in gameplay with a fundamental shift in the underlying data. More health is a good starter. Faster plasma projectiles would help make your own weapons more effective, especially at range.

But the issue you'll face is Halo is designed for shields. You take damage, you hide and heal, you repeat. That's what Halo is. Like lolslayer said, Call of Duty works with that formula, but it's a different game. I'd look into replacing the grunt's health with a shield, so that they take damage they can recover from. Even CoD's campaigns do this, as it's needed to keep the player alive. It sucks when you die quickly from an enemy you didn't even see. Is it realistic? Yes, War is hell. But I'm playing a video game.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Adding Shields to Bipeds Jan 20, 2019 06:06 AM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: Halo CE Noob Modder117
I tried doing this but after you give the biped a shield you cannot seem to damage it.

That's because you gave them a shield.

No but seriously it's because only doing the above doesn't give the shield effect that is displayed by the Cyborg, Sentinel and Elite bipeds. There's a separate effect that is attached to a function that is attached to shield health. I think you have to inverse the function's gain, or it's setting it to one or something like that. Compare the elite and mimic their function/effect connections. You might also need to attach one for shield regeneration, that's probably a separate function/effect setup.

Otherwise, you get a character that has 100 shield and 100 health. When you damage his shield he recoils in pain but nothing happens. Not even blood. Then his shield regenerates, but nothing is visible to the player.

Functions are fantastic by the way, they let you do some really fun things with the tags. You see a lot of basic stuff like a weapon's display changing color with heat or ammo. You can change a biped's colors to fluctuate in rhythm, to give them shimmering armor colors for example. You can tie the elite's armor color to their shield health, giving the player's a strong representation of damage. I used a custom multipurpose map with a random function to add eerie, orange glowing sections that pulsed randomly to flood bipeds. Lot's of cool visual stuff can be accomplished or tied into game data using functions if you get creative.

Time: Fri February 22, 2019 2:43 PM 188 ms.
A Halo Maps Website