A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: JadeRifter
About Contact
Last Post: May 2, 2017 10:37 PM
Interests: Art, Design, Programming
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
I'm a real light sleeper, Childs.

Post Statistics
JadeRifter has contributed to 81 posts out of 462807 total posts (.02%) in 520 days (.16 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: not m00kz
Quote: --- Original message by: JadeRifter
It does. I'm pretty sure my method here is an iteration of that. Altis used more tags to sync effects like biped shields, mine is a shorter version of that. He said that it played the effect on both client and server my way, but I've never noticed a difference with something like the death sound. This method could also be used to make destructible vehicles look perfect online, using effects and spawning a destroyed vehicle in place works flawlessly. Destructible objects can work perfectly online, they can also work near perfect when said object can be driven by the player. Problem there is that players get deleted when the object is destroyed while piloting them, which can cause an exception.

the method's not ideal, there's a lot that goes into implementing it (similar to 60fps animations - all animations would need to be reauthored), but it does work well.

I wonder how possible it would be to automate. I know that I couldn't be assed and there are far better coders than I out there.

Not exactly, no. This method is ideal for plenty, and it uses very little tags. Not only that, but the weapon even deletes itself upon detonation, something alits's method could not do without additional scripting. I've had this up and running for destructible stuff and death screams without much hassle at all.

That is true. I've also gotten this to work by modifying the collision tag to spawn a weapon with no collision or model data, that will detonate itself immediately with an effect which will play the death sounds.

that sounds very altis.

my descope fix was built off of his work, he uses that method for a lot of his glorious hackery

It does. I'm pretty sure my method here is an iteration of that. Altis used more tags to sync effects like biped shields, mine is a shorter version of that. He said that it played the effect on both client and server my way, but I've never noticed a difference with something like the death sound. This method could also be used to make destructible vehicles look perfect online, using effects and spawning a destroyed vehicle in place works flawlessly. Destructible objects can work perfectly online, they can also work near perfect when said object can be driven by the player. Problem there is that players get deleted when the object is destroyed while piloting them, which can cause an exception.

CE's lack of death screams is a code (compiled binaries) defect, not a content (tags) defect. Fixing code defects in CE is a far more involved process.

I have, however, heard there is some clever tag-work hackitry that can be done to implement death screams.

In the animation tag, you could add another sound reference for the death scream, and replace all of the h-kill and s-kill sound references. This would get rid of the subtle thud sound when you hit the ground, but I'm pretty sure that already plays when your stuff hits the floor with you.

any fix would ideally not sacrifice anything that already exists.

That is true. I've also gotten this to work by modifying the collision tag to spawn a weapon with no collision or model data, that will detonate itself immediately with an effect which will play the death sounds.

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
There are several tags that all share the obje class; Bipeds, Vehicles, Scenery, Equipment, Weapons.

But they all have differences as well. For example; Scenery items won't sync locaton over a netcode whereas for vehicles will, Light Fixtures with collision will stop projectiles but not players (shield doors). Bipeds and Vehicles are units so they will sync whether or not they're alive (health itself doesn't sync, but alive/dead does).

Do you guys know any other ways that the engine treats these tag types differently?

I may be wrong on this one, but I thought device machines also counted as an object. It let me attach them. Devices also have the capacity for moving platforms with working physics (ie you won't slide off it), where as moving scenery doesn't. I also thought that the alive/dead state for vehicles does not sync to clients.

The health of vehicles does not, but I was under the impression alive/dead does and that's how the host-determining scripts worked.

Yes! Device Machines also have the obje class. However I believe that you were slightly off there; the platforms can move vertically without falling off but characters do not stay attached when the platform moves horizontally. I could definitely be wrong about that however, I just remember seeing a post where someone tried to get a horizontal elevator to work by attaching the biped to the device machine.

Another tag using the obje class are Device Controls and Garbage. I'm curious if the engine has any peculiarity when it comes to the collision of garbage tags.

The host detection script worked because clients don't receive info about the name of objects on the server, an object's value while despawned is -1.

(if (!= (unit_get_health host_vehicle) -1)
(set is_host true))

So this checks if the health of host_vehicle is not -1, meaning it's spawned. The server would give you 1 while the client would give you -1, giving you a mechanism to differentiate them.

Destructible vehicles don't work because clients don't receive the state of destroyed vehicles. It can however tell if the vehicle is despawned.

Device Machines do have the capacity to move players horizontally, I'm sure about that. Animated scenery can not move players horizontally, nor can vehicles.

There are several tags that all share the obje class; Bipeds, Vehicles, Scenery, Equipment, Weapons.

But they all have differences as well. For example; Scenery items won't sync locaton over a netcode whereas for vehicles will, Light Fixtures with collision will stop projectiles but not players (shield doors). Bipeds and Vehicles are units so they will sync whether or not they're alive (health itself doesn't sync, but alive/dead does).

Do you guys know any other ways that the engine treats these tag types differently?

I may be wrong on this one, but I thought device machines also counted as an object. It let me attach them. Devices also have the capacity for moving platforms with working physics (ie you won't slide off it), where as moving scenery doesn't. I also thought that the alive/dead state for vehicles does not sync to clients.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » custom map doesn't load Apr 27, 2017 06:58 PM (Total replies: 12)

I just looked in your map and there was nothing in it. I couldn't see anything, not even after running radiosity. It was box.scenario right? I didn't even see any player starting points. Maybe your tools are not saving to the right folder. Try setting all the hek tools to be ran as admin, then redo what you did and save it and recompile.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » custom map doesn't load Apr 27, 2017 01:26 AM (Total replies: 12)

Quote: --- Original message by: Arbiter08
Hi there, new to modding in general so bear with me please.

I'm trying to create a custom singleplayer level, but when I try to load the level in Halo CE using the console, all I get is a halo ring which fades into a blackscreen with no music.

I'm on Windows 10 (everything else I've gotten working so far) and yes, other custom maps will load. I can even load a different map from the console while at the blackscreen (sucessfully). I've been trying to figure this out, but I'm stumped, so help would be very appreciated! :)

I'm pretty sure you need at least one spawn point set to "all games". None of the starting equipment can be grenades or you might get an exception error, you set those in the globals. Check in sapien if the map is set to single player, click on the "mission" folder and set it to single player.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » [HELP] Look at creators map scenarios Apr 15, 2017 08:05 AM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: Sod
How do I recursively extract the .scenario?
I know that I drag all the files into the queue and hit start, but I assume there's a different way that I'm meant to be doing it.

Don't bother dragging all the files, navigate to the .scenario, right click "extract to" and set your tags directory, check "recursive" and "use original folder names".

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » [HELP] Look at creators map scenarios Apr 15, 2017 05:35 AM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: Sod
(I didn't really know what to name this thread)

Is there a way to look at how someone has set up their map in Sapien?

By that I mean, is there a way to extract the .scenario from someone else's map file and see what they would see in Sapien whilst editing their .scenario file.

Just curious at seeing how others set up AI squads and stuff in Sapien, just want to see examples and other stuff.

(this might be worded terribly, I don't know much about HCE modding).

Hek+ will extract the tags and scenario you need to edit the map. You need to recursively extract the .scenario. The program also needs to be ran in compatibility mode for old windows or it will glitch out and crash.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=1542

Halo CE General Discussion » Marine Variant Ideas Apr 14, 2017 08:53 AM (Total replies: 19)

It actually wasn't that difficult, in most ways at least. Like I couldn't just walk up to a shotgun marine and try to beat him down, obviously. I did this on my crappy laptop so that made it slightly more difficult. The map has basic ai setup with firing positions, etc. I threw it together quickly so it's not very good, but it certainly could be. Also none of them were equipped for range so I could just slaughter them from a distance. I did have fun though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0dA_iwQ_y4

Edit: Screw this map, someone made a bloodgulch mod that had ai players, and that was fun.
Edit2: The marines would need some tag editing. If you gave them spartans then it would be similar to fighting the covenant with their elites. Maybe some of the marines could use a helmet that prevents them from being one-shotted, and they could also use covenant weapons on occasion.
Edited by JadeRifter on Apr 14, 2017 at 10:11 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Marine Variant Ideas Apr 14, 2017 08:18 AM (Total replies: 19)

They both focus on your ability to memorize patterns, and how good your combat skill is. SP makes combat less difficult because you can memorize patterns better than you could in multiplayer, players are more difficult and unpredictable to fight against than ai. In both scenarios the player will be using the map and their raw combat skill above all, just in different ways.

I tested this out and threw together a map where I was fighting marines, the result was similar to the way I fight covenant in that I use the map and my skill to eliminate them. It was actually kind of fun.

Like I said, some variety would be nice now and then, I've fought the default enemies countless times now. I'm not ready to criticize a potentially fun idea that hasn't even been executed yet.

Halo CE General Discussion » Marine Variant Ideas Apr 14, 2017 05:24 AM (Total replies: 19)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

Quote: --- Original message by: theshadow0222

From a plot perspective, yes, but how so from a gameplay perspective? Other than it not being done before and therefore being poorly set up for in any halo game ever.
Edited by theshadow0222 on Apr 12, 2017 at 06:34 PM

It's really simple. You can see and dodge covenant weapons. You can't against weapons that are nearly instantaneous. Ask yourself if you've ever had a good fight against a flood using human weapons, or covenant using carbines and beam rifles. Or even worse the prometheans in H5 who use human weapons.

Sure you could edit it so that the humans use weapons that fire some modified projectile that changes into a standard gun when they die... but that would be so silly and in the end you'd just have covenant weapons being held by less interesting enemies.

Quote: --- Original message by: Banshee64
Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Your first mistake is planning on fighting humans. It goes against all of halos design principals
and putting brutes everywhere is a good halo design principal

Tell me more! Like really. What do you think we could do to improve the brutes.
Edited by Masters1337 on Apr 13, 2017 at 10:22 PM

That doesn't make a lick of sense. I'm fighting against people using human weapons all of the time in multiplayer. If op wants to make a map where you fight humans, I say go for it. I've only fought the covenant a bajillion times.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien Randomly Freezing/Not Resonding Apr 11, 2017 02:25 PM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
Your scenario is likely screwed, this usually happens when you have touched the scenario with open sauce and then try to load it in default sapien.

I don't suggest using any compatibility mode or cpu affinity settings as that can worsen how it works.

The scenario doesn't load at all for me if I do that. It might be worth trying OS_Sapien though, might be an issue with OS tags.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Sapien Randomly Freezing/Not Resonding Apr 11, 2017 02:03 PM (Total replies: 4)

I'm using windows 10 and running sapien as admin, I didn't need to mess with compatibility mode. Does the program crash when this happens? The debug might spit something out useful for us to see.

CE's lack of death screams is a code (compiled binaries) defect, not a content (tags) defect. Fixing code defects in CE is a far more involved process.

I have, however, heard there is some clever tag-work hackitry that can be done to implement death screams.

In the animation tag, you could add another sound reference for the death scream, and replace all of the h-kill and s-kill sound references. This would get rid of the subtle thud sound when you hit the ground, but I'm pretty sure that already plays when your stuff hits the floor with you.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Creating/Editing new actor variant tags Apr 11, 2017 06:03 AM (Total replies: 7)

I think you may need the opensauce hek to work with these tags. I got similar errors from using default hek with OS tags.

Halo CE General Discussion » about inaccurate recorded animations Apr 7, 2017 02:59 PM (Total replies: 1)

I've seen people run into this problem before, and now I've had the chance to experience it. I don't remember a solution being posted, but I figured out why some of my animations came out inaccurate. It was because the game was running higher than 30fps while I was recording them, locking the game to 30fps in the menu fixed my issue, and now everything seems dead accurate.

Halo CE General Discussion » Syncing AI components. Mar 25, 2017 02:32 PM (Total replies: 27)

Quote: --- Original message by: game user10
Oh that's cool. I remember a few years ago I'd have a pelican drop the player off (though working with recorded animations was an absolute pain).

Maybe I can do that again. There's a better version of the animation recorder thing, right?

I used the one on halomaps, don't know if a newer one exists. Had to install another halo ce in a separate directory and update it to 1.09 for the recorder to work, but it seems easy enough to use.

This made me think about syncable "devices" that are actually vehicles.

Halo CE General Discussion » Syncing AI components. Mar 24, 2017 03:35 PM (Total replies: 27)

I've been using recorded animations now for vehicles like the pelican, and they seem to work perfectly over a network. Maybe you could give ai to the turrets like in the covenant dropship, and have recorded animations handle the rest.

I could see use for this in maps, like you could summon a pelican to fly through the map and shoot at players. You could summon a vehicle to drop a bomb on the enemy base.

Edit: I tried it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMT_WBER0e0
Edited by JadeRifter on Mar 24, 2017 at 06:05 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » ai place after effect? Feb 26, 2017 10:32 PM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: thellt
id like to place an ai on a map but after an effect tag is called. how can I do this thru scripting?

Not sure how to do this through scripts, but the effect tag has an event tab, and under that is a part tab where you can set up to have a biped spawn. This wouldn't have ai though, I'll see if I can find something out.
Edited by JadeRifter on Feb 26, 2017 at 10:33 PM

Time: Mon May 22, 2017 3:15 PM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website