A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: JadeRifter
About Contact
Last Post: Feb 22, 2017 04:33 AM
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvVw7nq06eOUicWPeghNGHw
Interests: Art, Design, Programming
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
I'm a real light sleeper, Childs.

Post Statistics
JadeRifter has contributed to 60 posts out of 460848 total posts (.01%) in 433 days (.14 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: Keifre
Does anyone know how to make AI spawn only once in Sapien? Like if I shot a grunt and it did not respawn.

I forget how to do that normally, but you can spawn named bipeds and have scripts handle it. Like you could spawn a grunt biped, name it something like Grunt1, and then attach it to an encounter using scripts. Pretty sure it won't respawn unless you have it set up to this way.

Halo CE General Discussion » Changing lightmaps Feb 17, 2017 11:07 AM (Total replies: 8)

I did the lightmaps in CE and just converted the entire map to PC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsbHIJuhCLI
Injecting is probably a better idea. If you're having those weird patterns in the lightmap I think it means it's not finished, or it got corrupted from injection. I've had this problem using the wrong image compression before with HMT, maybe it's that.

Halo CE General Discussion » Syncing AI components. Feb 17, 2017 01:01 AM (Total replies: 24)

Quote: --- Original message by: Docer
This is a very dumb question but can we copy the netcode from the xbox version to put it in the PC version?

No.

Halo CE General Discussion » Syncing AI components. Feb 1, 2017 12:02 AM (Total replies: 24)

Converting it to PC is pointless, I know because I used that method before. You are far better off using a host detection script, there are some great ones around here and elsewhere. Dummies are easy to get rid of.

I don't remember the object limit, but I had a map that used kirby's method for syncing and it had like 15 or 20 per base on bloodgulch.

I was thinking of something crazy like using client side ai and attaching that to the host ai, and then having the fake ai's health dependent on the host ai. It probably won't work, but I'm still thinking for the fun of it.

With external tools and scripts, I've seen someone sync the position and animations of ai. Think the name was 002. It was by far the best I've seen.

Halo CE General Discussion » How to get Ghost's animation importer Jan 22, 2017 02:37 PM (Total replies: 5)

Sorry to hear the site is down, I still have the plugins on my hard drive if you want them.

https://www.mediafire.com/?s8gdf97598r1k4g

Edit: nvm, I see the archive has it.
Edited by JadeRifter on Jan 22, 2017 at 02:37 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Question about object names Jan 22, 2017 10:30 AM (Total replies: 1)

Is there any way I can get the client to know the name of a biped spawned on the host? The client doesn't receive object names.

I've had this problem before replacing the stock textures with my own. The game is looking in the bitmaps.map file for shared textures, and it uses them instead. You can either remove the bitmaps file from your maps directory and put it back after you compile your map, or better yet rename the textures and re-reference them in the files with guerilla.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Any Online Multiplayer Campaign maps? Dec 26, 2016 06:59 AM (Total replies: 10)

I made a crappy map a while back that had syncing ai, it was called bloodshed.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/8begd2oxyun8o0l/bloodshed_sync_beta.rar

Halo CE General Discussion » Very simple door sync Jun 19, 2016 05:29 PM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: LegitGameReviews

I'm not sure exactly how effective your script is, but as is, it won't compile so this is how it should be:

(global short plyrnum 0)

(script static unit player
(unit (list_get (players) plyrnum))
)

(script continuous door1sync
(if
(= (volume_test_objects_all door1vol (player)) true)
(device_set_position door1 1.0)
)
(sleep 15)
(if (< plyrnum 15) (set plyrnum (+ plyrnum 1)) (set plyrnum 0))
)

Not sure why this script exists in the first place without a corresponding vehicles crush sync script. Might want to add that in as well.
Edited by LegitGameReviews on Jun 19, 2016 at 03:31 PM

Why isn't it compiling for you, what does the error say? The script works just fine when I do it.

This was the original script I used in the vid.

(script continuous door1detect
(if
(= (volume_test_objects_all openvol (players)) true)
(begin
(sleep 15)))
)

It runs on the client and server, so it opens the door on both at the same time.
Edited by JadeRifter on Jun 19, 2016 at 06:51 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Very simple door sync Jun 18, 2016 07:41 AM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: OctaVinyl
All we need now I guess is Vehicle sync for AI. I mean, it still feels annoying seeing floating bodies on a vehicle.

Not much I can do about that right now. Even with the proper animations, it would just look to choppy as you get faster. I tested this with an ai gunner on my server. It works, even when you re-join, but it looks really bad.

Stationary gun turrets and flying characters look much better online with the sync method I've been using.

Halo CE General Discussion » Very simple door sync Jun 18, 2016 05:40 AM (Total replies: 5)

Just a small, simple script I thought I'd share for making doors work online.

(script continuous door1
(if
(= (volume_test_objects_all door1vol (players)) true)
(begin
(sleep 15)))
)

Edit: This is pointless, doors work online on their own. Disregard this.
Edited by JadeRifter on Jun 20, 2016 at 05:30 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Tutorial] Effect synchronization Jun 15, 2016 04:07 PM (Total replies: 12)

Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Weapons do despawn after 30 seconds but removing them as fast as possible should be more efficient since it wouldn't have to sync their locations and stuff for 30 seconds.

Right but the map script seems to have a significant negative impact on server performance. I'll try the detonation thing, I'm just concerned because you mentioned that the effect could play twice, which kind of eliminates the purpose of trying to make the hit effects work properly.
Edited by stunt_man on Jun 15, 2016 at 03:37 PM

The last time I tested this, the hit detection seemed to work. The effect didn't play twice in my experience, but it might just be something I overlooked or didn't see.

I'm guessing the initial effect creates the nulled out weapon on both the client and server, but I'm still not sure why it would play twice right now.

I haven't tested this on a larger scale yet, so I have no idea how it would impact the server's performance.

Halo CE General Discussion » Vertex Color Apr 26, 2016 04:02 AM (Total replies: 2)

Does Halo CE support vertex colors, or would I have to render all of that to a texture? I have an idea for a map, and I usually just paint in all of the colors and bake in the radiosity solution to one vertex color channel.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Tutorial] Effect synchronization Mar 29, 2016 09:45 PM (Total replies: 12)

I don't remember getting detonation to work. But what do I know about HEK \_(ツ)_/

The detonation delay needs to be higher than 0 for it to work properly in my experience, 0.1 does the job.

Halo CE General Discussion » Seige Gametype Mar 29, 2016 10:05 AM (Total replies: 41)

I got the anti-air turrets to work, and it even plays the explosion effect for clients.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XEyX9FV7ks

Halo CE General Discussion » [Tutorial] Effect synchronization Mar 29, 2016 07:32 AM (Total replies: 12)

This is my method of synchronizing effects for multiplayer, it will make effects that happen on the server also happen for clients on the same location.

First you need to download this tag template: http://puu.sh/nJUUV/8896646e57.rar

It has all the tags you need. Now if you want to sync more than one effect, you should copy these tags to another location and fix all dependencies (make sure you keep the same order)

Now in the fourth tag choose the effect tag that you want to sync.
http://puu.sh/nJUQg/13364c51d7.png

Open the effect that you want to sync (I would recommend to make a backup of it) and make all markers empty.
http://puu.sh/nJURv/6e4cf17d6f.png

Now just use the "0" effect instead of your original effect.

For better performance, I would recommend you to add this script and list all the weapon tags that these effects use:

(script continuous destroy_invisible_weapons
(objects_delete_by_definition "altis\effects\synchronized effect\1 create server side object")
(objects_delete_by_definition "altis\effects\synchronized effect\4 synced weapon which causes effect")
)

DONE! Now your effect should be synchronized.

ATTENTION!

I need someone to test this out and let me know that everything works and I didn't forget something!

This method also works without 2, 3, and 4. The detonation effect in #1 will sync to clients, and also gets rid of the weapon without having to script anything.

Halo CE General Discussion » Destructible Stuff Mar 25, 2016 06:32 PM (Total replies: 11)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
If you want to PM me your contact details (skype preferably) I have a few things I always had in mind for destroyable objects in MP, I'd be happy to share them with you if you'd like to see if they are possible.

Sure, I'll PM you.

Halo CE General Discussion » Destructible Stuff Mar 25, 2016 06:04 PM (Total replies: 11)

The first version of this method used scripts, the wraith on my map is still using that method. With the script method, I can boot players out of the vehicle before it explodes, because when clients are in the vehicle when it explodes, it can sometimes cause an exception.

For things like broken bridges, destroyed doors, etc, this would work perfectly. You would just need to make them into vehicles somehow. I've never seen a map with these before, but I'd really like to.

For dead vehicles, I plan to have a destroyed model spawn instead of it just blowing of out existence.

Halo CE General Discussion » Destructible Stuff Mar 25, 2016 08:07 AM (Total replies: 11)

I'm pretty sure that
CMT already has
done this before tho

Cool, I didn't know they pulled it off. I've never seen this working before.

Halo CE General Discussion » Destructible Stuff Mar 25, 2016 06:14 AM (Total replies: 11)

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
I can see this working, if it was iterated upon, but currently all I see is it de-spawning a vehicle once its health reaches zero.

The body destroyed threshold is set to -1 in the collision, and after a certain amount of health is gone, an effect plays which spawns a weapon that detonates with a custom explosion effect. I didn't need to use any scripts for this, but I probably will to make them respawn.

I'll refine it and such, the video is just to show it working.

Time: Fri February 24, 2017 6:51 PM 296 ms.
A Halo Maps Website