A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: LittleRain
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 14, 2017 12:06 AM
Interests: DH Mountain Biking, Game Development, Paintball
Your Age: March 32, 1992
What Games do you play: Halo, Rust, Rainbow Six: Siege
Being Passionate is a Blessing but mostly a Curse

Post Statistics
LittleRain has contributed to 16 posts out of 464594 total posts (0.00%) in 170 days (.09 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » For those who want to be Game Developers Apr 14, 2017 12:06 AM (Total replies: 8)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
Quote: --- Original message by: LittleRain
-snip-

tl;dr version:
Yo kids, i "apparently" gave up with HEK so i think you should too! Maybe move to halo online? :D

What is wrong with you.

We come from a different world.
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 14, 2017 at 12:06 AM

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » Is Project Cartographer Down? Apr 13, 2017 09:26 PM (Total replies: 3)

I talked to one of the Devs and he said they were using Photon Networking.
I know that depending on how many concurrent users playing it can cost a pretty penny.
My guess is they didn't pay their bills. If that is the case, only 20 people at a time can play.

https://www.photonengine.com/en/PUN/Pricing#plan-20

Halo CE General Discussion » For those who want to be Game Developers Apr 13, 2017 08:53 PM (Total replies: 8)

Don't be immature like these guys.
|
|
\/
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 14, 2017 at 12:31 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Memento/Remake - Gallary Thread Apr 13, 2017 07:09 PM (Total replies: 9)

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
The mask I used in this video was scanned using Autodesk 123D Catch

haha cool, man 400'000 downloads for most popular map. If I'm corrent I think every map I made was over 100,000 :)

Edit: I must say that map looks sick, I have no idea how you guys got all these new features, especially in multi player, but I must say chap that this is the toppest of notches.
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 07:12 PM
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 09:13 PM

https://mocaponline.com

hmm, starters don't seem to be free anymore. I can give you my Starter ones, I bought the full.
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 01:52 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
What's so special about 2018 that isn't present in 2012--2016 ?

They got rid of MentalRay and now use something else.

You can now modify movement paths or whatever right in the viewport or whatever.

Ya what the f is up with Arnold, I like the Nvidia Renderers...

I don't even think Iray in max 2017 is compatable with GTX 1080 yet. Substance Painter/Designer finally got support for 1080 last month.

Halo CE General Discussion » Memento/Remake - Gallary Thread Apr 13, 2017 01:42 AM (Total replies: 9)

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster

Photo to Model demonstration

Edit: I wasn't impressed with this, even as I posted the link above, because I hadn't watched the video yet. Then I watched the video. I'm still not impressed but I am dumbfounded.
Edited by DeadHamster on Apr 12, 2017 at 02:00 PM

I'm pretty impressed, normally the scanners that do that are Lasers (depth sensors)
And even lots of those are horribly inaccurate, to be able to do it with an iPhone and a computer, no special equipment is very impressive.

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker

It's neat, but that's really it. A typical workflow for halo would be to find as many images as required if they even exist and once the geometry has been created it would have to be severely optimised. However ADSK has provided a very promising way to "kick start" the modelling process.
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 12, 2017 at 08:46 PM

Lol yes Halo would be a little much. I don't know what version of Max you use, but the "Pro Optimizer" modifier makes optimizing easy. In Unity and Unreal, and pretty much any modern game engine as well they have stuff to dynamically create LODS. Man Halo CE is for pros lol, I don't think new game Devs that didn't use blam! would be able to do what everyone here does haha.

I actually just watched a GDC Talk on the future and how everything Art related is starting to be Automated, even models. How soon it will be easier to go to a City, scan the city, then get artists to make it.
I actually didn't finish the talk, but here's the link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Rt0wOyCCAI&feature=youtu.be

Its already happening, look at https://megascans.se/
I think I read they use depth sensors though.
They actually have some massive rock walls that they scanned, I don't know how, maybe its a little rock they said was big.

and ADSK is Autodesk?

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Its a process called photogrammetry and Autodesk gave the program out for free not too long ago. A bit late on the call there buddy

Yeah forgot what it was called, and yeah I read that a couple weeks ago, just remembered and went to go download it and found out its now called remake.

Just wanted to share it with those who don't know.

Edit: Another fun toy to play with is the Nvidia Flex demo, didn't want to make another thread..
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 01:50 AM

Edited by LittleRain on Apr 13, 2017 at 02:07 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Anyone using Maya LT? Apr 13, 2017 01:28 AM (Total replies: 12)

Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy

If you want to get stuff from Max to Maya LT, I suggest just exporting as FBX or another universal file format.

The reason autodesk products are so expensive is because they have a monopoly on the market and they know it, other applications like Blender (free) and Modo (much cheaper) still cant compete and simply (IMO) are not as fleshed out/easy to work with.

Yeah I was just hoping there was an easier way, when I import FBX, for animations every key in the Timeline is filled, maybe there is a way to get it proper but I don't know.
Also if I need to edit materials, it only takes the material ID, and I'll have to redo all my materials again.

I'm just gunna stick with max.

Yeah I've never tried Modo, but I really don't like blender, I was able to get used to maya in a day, not proficient of course, but remember hotkeys, not invert my mouse clicks for rotating/moving and stuff, where as blender it just feels wrong.

Halo CE General Discussion » Memento/Remake - Gallary Thread Apr 12, 2017 01:29 AM (Total replies: 9)

Hey yall.

Ever heard of Autodesk Memento? It is now called Remake, but its software to turn ordinary pictures into high quality 3d models.

You take a bunch of photos at different angles, plop em' in, let it computer and BLAM!!

You have a full model, with textures.

You used to need special scanners to do this kind of stuff, kind of like the Kinect for Xbox, but this does a crazy good job.

I just downloaded it, I'll post some pictures once I try it out.

You should do the same!

They have a free trial like all other Autodesk, but this is also only $30 a month, so definitely affordable. I think its mainly designed for 3d printing so that might be why.

If you can find their older version, the Memento Beta, they released it free without a trial. If anyone can find it remember to share it with your friends!

Edit: almost forgot the link, watch the video its pretty neat.
https://remake.autodesk.com/about
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 12, 2017 at 01:31 AM

Even if you can get tool to compile more Scenery Objects, you can only have so many in-game at the same time. The last Part of my overdose single player, even with a ton of portals added still made a bunch of objects disappear.

Halo CE General Discussion » New phantom BSP detection method Apr 10, 2017 01:35 AM (Total replies: 30)

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Quote: --- Original message by: Higuy
Looks cool and all, but what about big maps? Seems like just using the command to find them would be a lot easier in that case.

Yeah it's not efficient in large maps. Using the command is not exactly efficient either \_(ツ)_/

You can debug phantom bsp's in sapien altis.........

Oh wow, what else do I not know? Tell me more!

You can type commands in to lock your camera to the AI or empty biped, and type commands to tell them to walk or look in a direction.

Then once you find out the parameters and commands you need, put them in a script for a cutscene and blam.

Edit: I just read in that other thread about recorded animations. Did someone actually fix record animations in sapien now? Or do you do it in halo or something?
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 10, 2017 at 02:40 AM
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 10, 2017 at 10:01 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Apr 10, 2017 01:31 AM (Total replies: 11367)

Why does every use Lit as a term for something that is cool.

Hasn't anyone heard someone say to someone else "Your f****** lit buds!" or "Your f****** lit goof!"

lol

Halo CE General Discussion » Anyone using Maya LT? Apr 7, 2017 11:50 PM (Total replies: 12)

Yeah I totally agree with that, that's what I've always done at least.

I think its kind of bs that you cant use your student license stuff after you buy the full thing, and Autodesk seems to be the only one who cares.

Every other company seems to have done an awesome job for helping indies out, Substance Painter/Designer is only $20 a month, and once you pay it off you own it. Photoshop is $10 a month, but you'll never own it.

Unity and Unreal for free until certain profits are made.

Autodesk is kinda lacking, Maya LT is good and all, and it's certainly no GMAX, but it kind of leaves 50% of the people out to spend more time learning than working, atleast if they started with max that is..

Halo CE General Discussion » Anyone using Maya LT? Apr 7, 2017 10:45 PM (Total replies: 12)

You do all realise that that the whole "you cant use
Work made with this license or type of app with this other license or app" rule can be circumvented via an export and re-import.

And you have god to thank for that or the guy who invented obj's/fbx's/3ds's e.t.c
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 7, 2017 at 04:49 PM

Yeah i do realize that. But most formats that you can do that with will take countless hours of fixing materials, or other things like animation constraints.
I read a post somewhere when i was looking into this stuff, and a guy who claimed to work at the piracy division at Autodesk claimed that FBX stores the version info. You are right though its 100% do able, for me though the amount of time it would set me back isn't worth it. I've been playing with maya the last couple days and the speed at of my work in maya conpared to max is atleast 10x slower, id still have to learn a ton of stuff.
I could learn to be efficent with maya and it wouldnt be too bad, but when i would have to get everything I've made ready for Unity all over again doing both is just too much time. If everything was polished it wouldn't be to bad, but i know ill be working on everything atleast a couple times again. Even though UVW's are the same, if the models position or scale is different in substance painter won't import the mesh properly, the program saves every brush stroke so you can scale to a higher res. Even sending scene from max to maya needs quite a bunch of work, with a rigged model thats a child of the same object its rigged too will change the position with its righed position + parent position where max will only use the rigged position. But anyways, i found a comparison for maya vs LT, its definitly not a cheap rip off. http://www.autodesk.com/compare/compare-features/maya-vs-maya-lt
Man wouldn't it have been easier if bungie used blender, we would have all learned blender and things would be easy.

Orange juice did the really buy each program? And i sent you a message on discord, i dont have permission to send messages on it though.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Apr 7, 2017 06:54 PM (Total replies: 11367)

It has a really big butt hole, it's mate must be relentless. :p
Edited by Super Flanker on Apr 7, 2017 at 12:55 PM

Hahaha sheeeet

Halo CE General Discussion » Anyone using Maya LT? Apr 7, 2017 04:32 PM (Total replies: 12)

Yes that's what I've been using since I upgraded from Max 8.
Problem is, Autodesk says if you pay for full version, you aren't legally allowed to use any of the work you've done on the student license, and you have to re-make everything. Its fine for modding, but when you plan to use your stuff commercially you can run into corners. There are some studios who use all pirated software, but I would only do that if it was strictly for modding.

If you open a file in Maya that's been made with student license, it will tell you every time you open it, I'm not sure if Max does but it probably has something similar going on.

Maya LT is a good program though, it just doesn't have ability to Send stuff to motion builder/3ds Max and stuff like that, you can send geometry to mud builder for sculpting though, another thing it has is sending right to Unity or Unreal. My problem though is if I can get all my stuff into Maya LT, I can get it into Maya right now, but I doubt that I can get it into LT without doing a bunch of extra work...

Another thing I believe is that its missing the renderers and stuff like that, which I just use Substance Painter/Designer for quick IRray renders anyways.

It should have all the same modeling/animating/rigging tools as Maya, pretty much anything you need for Game Development.

Max and Maya are largely for CG, so they made LT for game developers, if they made Max LT, there would still be more then enough tools for games.

Ugh I might just have to bite the bullet and buy Max for a year... There is things I don't like about Maya, but then there is things like more about it too, other then the price.. What to do...
Edited by LittleRain on Apr 7, 2017 at 04:33 PM

Time: Sat September 23, 2017 2:26 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website