A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Halo CE Noob Modder117
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 8, 2019 09:19 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Some tutorials would be nice...

Post Statistics
Halo CE Noob Modder117 has contributed to 182 posts out of 469499 total posts (.04%) in 487 days (.37 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

There were 4 little golden things I learned and mastered within the last two weeks and I finally achieved my dream of crapping out a map without an error. Well, there were red and orange errors and I fixed them because I now understand the 3ds max/tool bs. Anyway, portals though? Still a little dodgy, I still don't see what the deal is with them. They're hit and miss.

I do have one last request before I leave this... Not so nice place... Sexy marines. I began a project last year I think? The images were removed because the site shut something down. In the biped thread. Anyway, sexy marines.

I got 3 new marine variants into Halo, though the animations were a little stuffed and I couldn't figure out the permutation system. I was wondering if someone who had nothing better to do wanted to do something fun:
1. Armored marine variant with un-armored marine rolled sleeve arms
2. Armored marine variant with un-armored marine heads and hats
3. Armored marine variant with un-armored marine heads and hats + rolled sleeves

Like I said, I put them in 3ds max and managed to get them into Halo. They were just model edits, nothing animation related and nothing OS related. I just couldn't do the perms and the eyes and mouth wouldn't animate (I think I stuffed the rig when I imported it something). If someone would like to one-up me and complete what I failed, well, sexy.

Make marines lit, dope asf and sexy again.

I'm absolutely surprised that nobody has thought about this yet. I'm shocked that the only marine mod I've ever seen was Lumoria's pilot marine.

:'(
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Nov 8, 2019 at 10:00 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Edit run speed on a biped basis? Nov 3, 2019 08:02 PM (Total replies: 1)

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=46720

SOI_7: "Bipeds speed is controlled by the movement of the root node in the move-front animation. The farther the root node goes, the faster your biped will move. Making the animation shorter can do the same. If you're messing with the player, though, you can change its speed in the globals"

...I don't have any portals, I forgot to do them!

Importing the regular A10 portals causes Tool to crap out Magenta errors for every portal (now what in the hell is this one? Unearthed edges?). Would it be safe to put rectangles over every doorway and apply +portal? Or do I have to seal the geometry like a wall with verts connected to the actual map BSP itself?

Most YouTube tutorials I've seen literally just turn the map into a giant checkerboard with one giant plane. It this one simple way to do this? Note: As usual, they're outdoor maps so I'm not too sure if interiors have to be any different.

The debug file: The 'magenta' unearthed errors highlight the outer borders of each portal

I get this when I import all A10 portals:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool structure levels\test\example new
Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
building intermediate geometry...
### WARNING found #28 degenerate triangles.
building collision geometry...
reducing collision geometry...
building collision bsp...
### WARNING found nearly coplanar surfaces (red and green).
reducing collision bsp...
verifying collision geometry...
verifying collision bsp...
building portals...
### WARNING unearthed edge (magenta boxed lines).
EAX: 0x00000000
EBX: 0x06298801
ECX: 0x00000000
EDX: 0x00000000
EDI: 0x0019F210
ESI: 0x00000000
EBP: 0x0019F0E8
ESP: 0x0019F0DC
EIP: 0x77DA136C, C2 08 00 90 ?????
EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\memory\array.c,#130: index>=0 && index<array->count

I get this when using the grid/box method:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition>tool structure levels\test\example new
Couldn't read map file './toolbeta.map'
building intermediate geometry...
building collision geometry...
reducing collision geometry...
building collision bsp...
### WARNING found nearly coplanar surfaces (red and green).
reducing collision bsp...
verifying collision geometry...
verifying collision bsp...
building portals...
### ERROR: portal does not define two closed spaces. (see yellow in error geometry)
building render geometry...
building subclusters...
building pvs... building pvs... building structure lens flares...done

structure bsp "levels\test\example\new"
BSP has 25668 nodes, 12609 leaves
51664 surfaces and 80312 vertices in 27 material groups
157 portals, 9 clusters

3010Kb collision data (388Kb vertices, 1222Kb edges, 308Kb surfaces)
4781Kb render data (3199Kb vertices, 958Kb surfaces,
347Kb nodes/leaves, 268Kb clusters)
0Kb pathfinding data
----------------------
8841Kb (without debug information)
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Nov 4, 2019 at 08:22 AM

Are these editable? I've tried extracting some bitmaps from the refined tags to edit them (for example the fixed jackal shield, I wanted to make more colours) but Tool has a fit when I attempt to recompile it.

Ok guys I finally did that fudging map I've been asking how to do in 3DS MAX for the past few years however... One new problem has emerged, one I've never encountered before...

The geometry of my map flickers in and out of existence when moving around. Now what in the hell is this supposed to be about?

Could it be because its an interior map, it uses no sky and the odd lightmap is causing it? Please don't tell me it has something to do with the model in 3DS MAX...

This is so damn exciting though! I finally made a mashed up CMT like extended A10 campaign BSP! So this was the problem I had over the years: Importing BSPS came with errors such as multiple faces in one spot. I removed some faces, flipped the others, capped the holes with mesh and just slapped a texture over it, named the shaders to match the name as the tag files and added the correct '%' symbols to the right shaders.

THE NEW PROBLEM: Invisible Map Geometry

UPDATE: I've tried every combo and method I could think of and cannot get it to render properly. I'll assume campaign BSPs are way too large and don't work with our Tools. In other news, I'm now having a blast modifying multiplayer maps and adding sections to them, with some campaign assets of course. Sucks I cannot alter the campaign BSPs though. Oh well... Hopefully the MCC will come with a better toolkit or something.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Nov 5, 2019 at 09:59 PM

I found a sick tutorial that had the answer to my 3DS MAX problem: importing an existing Halo BSP, chop and change geometry and export it back into Halo.

It was a dude removing the bloodgulch bases and replacing them with beam towers and fixing the ground geometry in the surroundings.

Anyone remember who it was and or the link?

I really wish Masterz would chime in and share how the hell he edited the BSPs and managed to get them back into Halo without destroying them... I literally almost had to rebuild the BSP as it exports with or comes with errors by default that need to be fixed.

Halo CE General Discussion » MAJOR Issue with the fixed textures pack... Nov 2, 2019 04:57 AM (Total replies: 0)

So I decided to override my tags with the refined set...

Is it normal now that 3DS MAX cannot read the TIFs and Aether and BSP Converter can no longer extract the TIFFs?

Unlike the stock HEK tag set, when I use the BSP Converter with the refined tag set, I get shader error wanring messages and when in 3DS MAX I get some odd incorrect strip error window and cannot texture my map.

Is this supposed to happen?

The error I get in 3DS MAX is: "0: Invalid strip byte count, strip 0". This only happens when I attempt to use refined tag TIFFs. Even my Photoshop and Paint.net programs cannot open the TIFF files. This is just odd.

There is a time consuming work around though. Use bitmap extractor to save as TGA, then open and save it as a TIFF. Then of course, you have to retexture the entire map in 3DS MAX as well... This is so odd. It never used to do this. I'm so confused.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Nov 2, 2019 at 09:44 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pelican Model Editing Problem- TEXTURES Oct 28, 2019 12:42 AM (Total replies: 2)

You effing legend. Holy crap. Oh my god. Done. You're a god damn life saver.

I had no idea putting detail bitmaps in the bump would fix it... S###.

So I don't know how, when I import GBXModels they aren't textured, so I have to redo the shaders until I get them right.

So I wondered why the pelican had: bay and bay_floor with the same bitmap. I made a bay_floor material with the boilerplate detail as the bump map and applied it to the wall and floor panels as it should be.

BOOM. Re-exported it, Tooled it, checked in Sapien and BAM! Pelican looks stock textured, lit as ef.

You made my effing day holy crap, I need to go celebrate. FINALLY. Someone mentioned one LITTLE thing I missed and I FINALLY 100% complete one of my million projects.

Thank you so effing much.

F###, awesome.

Like my other cries for help, you didn't just help me out man, there were three others with this same dilemma. I'll let them now you helped out.

Effing sick. I'll kiss you through the damn screen.

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
If you're trying to get detail-maps blended into a shader_model, you'll probably need to do so in the multipurpose map
Edited by OrangeJuice on Oct 27, 2019 at 06:22 PM

Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 28, 2019 at 12:45 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Pelican Model Editing Problem- TEXTURES Oct 27, 2019 09:57 AM (Total replies: 2)

Guys,

So, I imported a pelican into 3DS MAX, done some edits blablabla and got it into Halo. Now, its all perfect HOWEVER... The pelican bay region, it is textured fine though its missing the detail boilerplate textures over the floor and wall panels. I've experimented with everything in 3DS MAX and just cannot find out what the cause is. Any ideas? I assume its a material stuff up. I hate how when you import a model that you literally have to rextexture the whole thing. Unless... There is a way to import a model with all its textures reserved?

I use the GBXModel Importer v2 by TheGhost. Is this version the latest and or best one?
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 27, 2019 at 09:59 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » The Altheros Experience Oct 27, 2019 12:25 AM (Total replies: 7)

I want to believe this mod is lore friendly as I'm lore obsessed, even with mods.

As much as I love being berated by some here, I just loves the personalities. Both you guys do good stuff. Stuff very few can do and many dream of, so low-tier? I don't think so. Inspirational more like.

Keeps noobs like myself motivated and determined to keep trying despite failing constantly.

SOLVED, IGNORE
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 27, 2019 at 09:51 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » The Altheros Experience Oct 23, 2019 09:55 AM (Total replies: 7)

Sorry Pabeung, I haven't been on this site for the last 8 months. Remind me, are you drunk? I cannot take your posts seriously whether or not you're being genuine or just taking the piss out.

Anyway, again, it looks like fun. Looking forward to it. I was going to do something similar to what you did but I never wanted to move onto the OS scene. I just started getting the hang of OG.

If I had OS, I'd probably be tempted to pinch CMT SPV3's scenarios as I did with SPV2 and made an extended campaign with literally bare-ass OG Halo tags. I even retextured it all to look closer to OG Halo.

I'm working on a side project where I'm trying to port as many Halo 2, Halo 3 and Reach assets into CE and make a gigantic merger universal tagset. I've done most weapons and a universal weapon icon system. Though I am worried I will soon run out of memory or something as again, its all OG non-OS stuff...

Anyway, when is the release of your project?

Halo CE General Discussion » The Altheros Experience Oct 23, 2019 03:18 AM (Total replies: 7)

First of all... We have to mention that sword lunge at 1:04. My god... That was terrifying.

The infection transformations? Terrifying. The grunt melee? Interest... Cannot comment more on that. I'm loving the whole Reach/3 vibes. Flood dispersal pods? Interesting...

What are some key differences between your mod and CMT SPV3? (noticed some similarities)

And the biggest question of that reveal... Are those pictures at the end an easter egg in-game?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » TUTORIAL REQUEST- Re: Map Design Oct 23, 2019 02:41 AM (Total replies: 5)

Cheap shot eh? Smart ass... I'm sure you didn't fly out your mother's womb with a computer in your hand and the knowledge to mod every aspect of Halo. Don't even go there. If you don't want to help, go back to whatever Discord group you came from and go complain that 'this guy' is asking for help in a technical forum. I couldn't give a flying toss about your derogatory thoughts about another user's 3DS MAX experience.

I assure you. The only thing I cannot do is import multiple BSPs and put them back into Halo. I can make BASIC geometric maps and managed to get a biped in and out (with somewhat messy animations) and made a crap ton of scenery. I know how to script, use Sapien, use Kornman/Guerrilla, texture, lightmap, record animations, link devices and controls, triggers, objective/help strings, rip etc. So 'basic stuff'? I don't think so... I assume your understanding of 'basic' is quite... Basic... More than the majority of the users left in this community cannot even do those tasks or know what they even are. Assumingly because of jerks like yourself who do nothing but attempt to push people away or shut them down rather than set good standards and help new comers learn and thrive with the 'elite few'.

...Since you want to fire shots... I see your picture. Go 'play with yourself' over a pony or anime. Obviously you've got nothing useful or relevant to share as you simply have no idea yourself and have to protect your modding ego and reputation.

There comes a point where you can only mod existing maps so much to the point you want to move on and apply your skills to a custom made map with new locations to fill and stories to tell.
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 23, 2019 at 05:04 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » TUTORIAL REQUEST- Re: Map Design Oct 22, 2019 07:14 PM (Total replies: 5)

I believe I did about a year ago when I had troubles combining certain A10 bsps and then being unable to seal certain 'openings' (I think the portals, lights and glass regions).

Nobody really covered this stuff, just the basics. The only tutorials I found were either too grainy or only covered editing bloodgulch...

I want to edit campaign resources not make another bloodgulch mod! (I'm not going to be that hey guys check out my millionth instalment of bloodgulch mod guy)

Its been a year or more and I still cannot get my modified A10 bsp through Tool...

I'd stop asking but its not just for me and well, I don't want to abandon the project.

:'(
Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 22, 2019 at 07:18 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » TUTORIAL REQUEST- Re: Map Design Oct 22, 2019 10:45 AM (Total replies: 5)

Can some experienced person who has free time on their hands please make a simple modernised tutorial explaining and showing how to properly export a map or two, place them into 3DS MAX, chop and change the bsp model, place the shaders back on it, and export it back into Halo?

I've noticed a lot of mods lately where people have been using recycled assets from campaign missions, multiplayer maps and even other people's mods. Any time I put any kind of map into 3DS MAX, unless its a custom made box, I cannot get it into Halo.

Hell, if we had a comprehensive video regarding this, I think then there would be no excuses nor anyone ever asking how to make a map, yet alone perform the complicated task of editing maps without breaking them.

Then of course, SBB M. can add that to that massive guide.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Data Pad like items? Oct 21, 2019 05:14 AM (Total replies: 0)

So popups. No not malicious ads, you know when you're playing through the 1st mission and those little prompt windows popup about controls though out the level? I wanted to mimic those and instead use them as player triggered prompts.

Say you approach something and have to press E to activate or trigger something and then that window pops up with some custom text.

Edited by Halo CE Noob Modder117 on Oct 22, 2019 at 10:26 AM

You know what someone needs to do?

A video... A video showing the COMPLETE step 1/point a- step 10/point j of the entire process (preferably in 720p or higher so you can actually see what they're selecting).

How to properly take everything out of Halo, into 3DS MAX and back out to Halo and or other games/programs.

Does this mean... In a few months some pro will release an every biped from every halo biped pack for non-os and os halo games?

Halo CE General Discussion » The 3DS MAX Dilemma... Feb 24, 2019 05:45 AM (Total replies: 2)

So far I've been using 3DS MAX 2013 for my little projects I've been doing here and there... However just recently my computer had digitally 'crapped' itself with the latest Windows 10 update and I had to 'remove' a few programs...

I can no longer use 3DS MAX 2013, so, question I had on my mind for many years... Does 2013 matter? Can I use the latest one? 2014? 2015? 2016? 2017? etc? Does it matter? Can I still create map BSPs and static scenery objects?

Time: Sun December 8, 2019 2:06 PM 157 ms.
A Halo Maps Website