A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: malolo420
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 13, 2017 11:30 PM
Interests:
Your Age: 24
What Games do you play: Halo Custom Edition, Xbox 360 stuff
Drugs are Bad
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
malolo420 has contributed to 98 posts out of 464645 total posts (.02%) in 3,764 days (.03 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » For those who want to be Game Developers Apr 13, 2017 11:30 PM (Total replies: 8)

Edited by malolo420 on Apr 14, 2017 at 12:32 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Memento/Remake - Gallary Thread Apr 13, 2017 10:21 PM (Total replies: 9)

Malolo was my name everywhere when I was a kid.
I am now a majorly differen't person than I was, I don't even snowboard anymore (I had a Burton Malolo), I don't smoke weed/Drink/Drugs anymore so having 420 at the end of my name embarrasses me, and I just love my Little Rain so much.

Here's our car. And Sketchfab. https://skfb.ly/6pVCV

Hey if anyone doesn't have a Sketchfab account you should use my link to get it, I get a free 3 months of pro, and you get a free month. I can't believe I didn't know about it until now.

Sketchfab: https://skfb.ly/6pVCz

Here is a ramp at the skate park. Sketchfab https://skfb.ly/6pVFM

I did a little cleanup on the top, in Remake. there was a fence and since I didn't get a view that could see the top it didn't know what to do.

I got a few more coming, to explain why I chose what I did. Bike, has a lot of intricate detail. Car is a pretty basic shape, but its big. Skate Ramp is really big. I still have a bigger skate ramp where I didn't get everything in each shot. And then I'm going to try a smaller item, cause it seems to do its best there. I also have a small bush, but I don't think it will be able to track that very well, since its a bunch of the same things.
Then tomorrow I'll get some nature shots. Try some basic things, then a whole scene.

Edited by malolo420 on Apr 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Memento/Remake - Gallary Thread Apr 13, 2017 09:21 PM (Total replies: 9)

Can't post images on new account for 0 more days.

Just tried out Remake for the first time, I might try it again, cause it definitely has some very obvious errors in some places, but it was just a test so meh. A lot of it looks great though.

I took 35 photos and got this.

And if you wanna look at it on SketchFab. Its not as detailed, I think I have to get a subscription for more.
https://skfb.ly/6pVzL

I got pictures of the local skate park, and my car, will post those when they finish.
Edited by malolo420 on Apr 13, 2017 at 09:23 PM
Edited by malolo420 on Apr 13, 2017 at 09:28 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Anyone using Maya LT? Apr 7, 2017 12:24 PM (Total replies: 12)

I've been thinking about making the switch from max because of the price, but its a scary thought having to learn a new program, especially when you get fluent with your current one. They are offering 50% off for the second year, and with the already major price drop from Max its so tempting, I've just gotten so used to max and all the tools and hotkeys it would be such a set back.

In the new versions of Max you can send your scenes back and forth from Max to maya, mudbox, motion builder etc. But you can't with Maya LT... Can't even send files from Maya LT to Maya or back.
If you have LT, do you know any reasonable ways of getting your stuff from Max to Maya?

If they only had Max LT...

[/endRant]

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Apr 7, 2017 10:05 AM (Total replies: 11429)

Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
Second bsp of planet_flood_e
http://i.imgur.com/eEfCNdb.jpg

Reminds me of the birthday map I made for Kinkilla.

You played as an infection form :)

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Javalin Launcher Apr 4, 2017 06:52 PM (Total replies: 0)

Here's the Javelin launcher I never finished for Overdose. It has no model but its all tagged and ready for game play.

Here's how it works, you fire the rocket, and the rocket slowly goes towards the ground, it "ignites" after it travels one world Unit, it spawns a new rocket that travels up, it reaches its height, and then it travels forward a bit, spawns a new one that slams into the ground.

I had to use its explosive effect to spawn a new rocket, so all the material impacts are where the actual explosion is from.

Left click is short distance, and right click is long distance (maybe switched I cant remember).

It was really fun to play around with, if someone could record a clip of it I would be grateful.

Enjoy!

http://www.littleraingames.com/HaloTags/Javalin.rar
Edited by malolo420 on Apr 4, 2017 at 06:53 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Write new shaders with Opensauce? Mar 31, 2017 09:21 PM (Total replies: 4)

Coolio thanks guys.

What do the shaders do masters?

And michelle its HLSL.

I see tessellation in there but I thought it was only Post effects, anyone know if it works? And do you know if you have access to the depth buffer?

Lol and finally, does anyone know if you can use this in Sapien, cause I actually can use sapien since I have a copy of my Halo folder.

Edited by malolo420 on Mar 31, 2017 at 09:22 PM
Edited by malolo420 on Mar 31, 2017 at 09:36 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Legs in First Person Mar 31, 2017 09:18 PM (Total replies: 11)

Totally forgot I posted!
You can tell that its just not right, he only walks forward.
Those are probably FP animations with legs in them, which just isn't possible.
Anyone know how Kirby did it?
I'm thinking about buying Halo again, cause I can't for the life of me find the disk, but I couldn't get it working last time and certain websites don't accept Canadians anymore.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Write new shaders with Opensauce? Mar 20, 2017 06:28 PM (Total replies: 4)

I can't remember, but I think I read you can make new sharers with open sauce?
Or is it only post effect shaders?

Am I correct?

Is it CG, HSL, GLSL? And What shader model?

Halo CE General Discussion » Thoughts on a reworked shield concept? Mar 20, 2017 06:21 PM (Total replies: 13)

You could achieve that with a new biped. It would need a model per plate, with a separate collision. Then just put health/shield on each plate, and when it gets to 0, it deactivates, and when shields go back up it respawns, kind of like the covenant shield that's on the ground.

Will have to import the chiefs model into max, and you might have to redo all the animations, depending on node setup. But maybe not.

Edit: Jesse beat me to it.
Edited by malolo420 on Mar 20, 2017 at 06:22 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Legs in First Person Mar 20, 2017 06:16 PM (Total replies: 11)

Just watched a GDC talk about FP animations by a Bungie employee.
The way they did the legs, was by letting the FP camera see the legs of the 3P model.

I've never used open sauce, but maybe someone could get it working.

Just a thought.

Halo CE General Discussion » (Release) Hazmat Unit Feb 2, 2017 10:09 PM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

Can't you paint vertex weights in viewport canvas so that you don't have to mess with the gizmo?

(never rigged a biped. just asking)
Edited by OrangeJuice on Feb 2, 2017 at 08:21 PM

Yes normally you just to that to get a base going, then you fine tune it vert by vert.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Idea for making Halo Look better Jan 26, 2017 09:38 PM (Total replies: 26)

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: malolo420
Full bump at every angle?

No.

The shadows would be correct, but it would make it really pop.

Take a look at this.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightmappingDirectional.html

I'd write a 30 page book on why forcing full bump at every angle is totally unrealistic but no one would care so okay.

The shadows would still be shown in the correct direction though, trust me its way more realistic. Every new engine does this, it just makes it look 3d, and not flat like halo looks. Halo's bump mapping still looks flat without dynamic lighting. Look at that link I sent, it shows comparisons between lightmapping, directional, and directional specular.
Also, how do you think parallax or POM mapping is done. It uses a normal map, mixed with a height map to produce a 3 dimensional effect, which it shows it all the time. Don't think of it as forcing it do to something unnatural, think of it as catching up with newer engines.

Edit:
Here is an example, The first Set without and with a normal. And the second set, without and with a normal except its looking at the light source instead of away, hence the shadows only being on one side.
I will admit, this is also POM (Parralax Occlusion Mapping, but it works the same way and is easier to show the difference.

Without Normal, facing away from light source

With normal ,facing away

Without normal facing towards

With normal facing towards

So as you can see, it definitely looks more realistic with the bump/normal always showing, and it only shows shadows on the side that's away from the light source.
What you are trying to argue is that the way Halo handles lighting looks more realistic then all the new games, even the new halo's.

Edited by malolo420 on Jan 26, 2017 at 10:03 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Idea for making Halo Look better Jan 25, 2017 11:11 PM (Total replies: 26)

Full bump at every angle?

No.

The shadows would be correct, but it would make it really pop.

Take a look at this.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightmappingDirectional.html

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Idea for making Halo Look better Jan 24, 2017 01:38 PM (Total replies: 26)

You are probably right, but thought it would be worth a shot. I'll see if I can get HEK working and try it out, I remember all my pictures been lit up in overdose which was all dynamic lighting, but maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Dead hamster that looks pretty good, didn't know you could do that.
Edited by malolo420 on Jan 24, 2017 at 01:46 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Idea for making Halo Look better Jan 23, 2017 07:00 PM (Total replies: 26)

Quote: --- Original message by: Tucker933

There's indeed a limit on dynamic lights, and things get visually glitchy when there's more than one overlapping dynamic light at different angles. Dynamic lights also don't cast shadows, and they don't locally illuminate scenery items (any light reaching them illuminates the entire item without discretion). They also don't have any occlusion whatsoever, meaning they'll over-penetrate anything within their radius, including BSP.

=/
Edited by Tucker933 on Jan 18, 2017 at 10:44 PM

I think there is a chance it wont penetrate the bsp if made right. If you look in this pic here from Unity, a directional light is piercing mine as well. Once I finish the outer part of the building though, so a face that isn't back facing to the light, it will shield the inner part of the building from the light. If someone pulls it off, it will make Halo look 10 times better, bump maps will punch, and shadows will be crisp.

I named the images wrong, but my example is saying unless the geometry is right, it will penetrate walls as well.

Back facing

Non-Back facing

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Very Pissed: HELP REQUEST (Pickup Icons) Jan 23, 2017 06:51 PM (Total replies: 10)

They need to be a power of 2. 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Idea for making Halo Look better Jan 21, 2017 03:19 PM (Total replies: 26)

I think its been around before valve, you can use V-Ray in 3ds max for light mapping as well.

I can't remember who, but someone made a tutorial for how to do it for halo way before open sauce was around, I might have it on my old HD.
Edited by malolo420 on Jan 21, 2017 at 03:20 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Idea for making Halo Look better Jan 20, 2017 09:46 PM (Total replies: 26)

I used dynamic lights in the overdose SP, but only for interiors, It worked well until I added a bunch of other scenery. Which halo actually has a limit for all objects, so when I added to many scenery, the AI would disappear as well. I was thinking if done correctly it will look really nice. Dynamic lights really make the bump maps come out nicely.
Another Idea I had, if someone wants to make horizontal elevators, you just need to script the character to be added as a child to the elevator once he steps on.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Idea for making Halo Look better Jan 18, 2017 02:46 AM (Total replies: 26)

I can't run HEK on my computer, nor can I find my CD to even try and get it working again. But if someone is still making maps, try running radiosity in sapien, then cancelling it right away so all the lightmaps are black, or you can just paint extract the light maps and paint over them again.

Try lighting the maps with only dynamic lighting. 1 big one for the sun, and a bunch of small one indoors. I'm sure it will look a lot better.

Computers back in the day had a hard time using dynamic lighting, but everyone shouldn't have a problem now.

Post the pic here with your results!
Edited by malolo420 on Jan 18, 2017 at 02:46 AM
Edited by malolo420 on Jan 18, 2017 at 02:47 AM

Time: Thu November 23, 2017 10:56 PM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website