A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: sparky
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 18, 2017 02:55 PM
Interests: I think what I think.
Your Age: 31
What Games do you play: I play what I play.
Death does not bring you any closer to God.

Post Statistics
sparky has contributed to 1853 posts out of 464594 total posts (.40%) in 3,011 days (.62 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Death messages Sep 18, 2017 02:55 PM (Total replies: 7)

HAC2's custom chat feature alleviates the issue with undisplayed or interrupted chat messages resulting from server-printed messages, like using SAPP's rprint function.

Halo CE General Discussion » Ignore Sep 18, 2017 02:44 PM (Total replies: 0)

I made a new SAPP Lua script that lets you selectively ignore players.

Version 2.3: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/216983164558639104/359431019709071361/ignore.lua

Features:
  • Players can selectively ignore players, meaning that their messages are not seen.

• "ignore #" commands can be strung together on a single line, for example, "ignore 1 ignore 2 ignore 4 ignore 16".

• Messages between players in the same vehicle are not affected.

• Stores IP/Port of each player in memory so that settings are saved even when players leave the server. Persists with the script's loaded state.

• Optionally shows a temporary message at the bottom right of the screen when a player respawns.

• Optionally shows information about players on the client game screen.

• Shows which team is chatting during team chat.

Demonstration video of version 1.0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFjQZJsptDE

Screenshots of version 2.1:

SAPP commands in the chat work.

Temporary message at the bottom right of the screen upon player spawn.

Player information shown and ignore by ID commands can be strung together.

Changelog:
Version 2.0: Overhaul using tables instead of long strings to store information.
Version 2.1: Supports SAPP chat commands.
Version 2.2: Fixes team chat.
Version 2.3: Specifies which team is chatting during team chat, and fixes hiding of "ignore enemy" command.
Edited by sparky on Sep 18, 2017 at 04:26 PM
Edited by sparky on Sep 18, 2017 at 04:29 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Composer Sep 6, 2017 10:30 AM (Total replies: 17)

OGG Vorbis playback is easy. Are you using the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the Xbox ADPCM Codec to play Xbox ADPCM encoded sounds?

Halo CE General Discussion » |~| Sparky's Variegated Thread Aug 25, 2017 01:03 PM (Total replies: 244)

Quote: --- Original message by: Nertez
no1 will use this lol

Great. That means less strain on the server.

Halo CE General Discussion » Leaderboard for Halo CE,PC,MD Aug 25, 2017 01:02 PM (Total replies: 12)

Ranks are not defined. Ranks depend upon the statistic by which you sort the entries. For example, the player who has the most kills might also be last place in terms of how much damage they received.

Halo CE General Discussion » Leaderboard for Halo CE,PC,MD Aug 24, 2017 06:50 PM (Total replies: 12)

My database system displays stats dynamically. It records a lot more stats than are sent to master server lobbies. You'll see what I mean when it's done. No point spoiling whatever remaining surprise there is.

Halo CE General Discussion » Leaderboard for Halo CE,PC,MD Aug 23, 2017 05:24 PM (Total replies: 12)

If you can't remember it, and I can't find it, then why tout it as an alternative?

Prove It

Halo CE General Discussion » Leaderboard for Halo CE,PC,MD Aug 23, 2017 03:51 PM (Total replies: 12)

I have a web site for displaying stats. It's https://ladder.galaxyverge.com. What other web site do you mean?

Halo CE General Discussion » Chat Constraints Aug 23, 2017 03:42 PM (Total replies: 0)

Chat constraints in HaloMD at 1920x1080 resolution.

Chat constraints in HaloMD at 640x480 resolution.

Chat constraints in Halo PC at 1920x1080 resolution.

Chat constraints in Halo PC at 1440x900 resolution.

Chat constraints in Halo PC at 1600x1200 resolution, but scaled to 1920x1080 monitor.

Chat constraints in Halo PC at 1024x768 resolution.

Chat constraints in HaloPC at 640x480 resolution.

HaloMD: 4 lines, 63 characters each
Halo PC: 8 lines, variable characters each
Edited by sparky on Aug 23, 2017 at 03:44 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Tutorial] Text Formatters Aug 22, 2017 07:13 PM (Total replies: 0)

|n = newline character
|t = convert line into 4 columns
|l (L) = left-justify
|c = center
|r = right-justify

Know of any others?

|b = bold?
|i = italic?
|u = underline?
|p = paragraph?
|k = ?

SAPP Code in screenshot:
rprint(i,"|cLine 1")	--	1
rprint(i," ") -- 2
rprint(i," ") -- 3
rprint(i,"Pipe characters can be used to format text on the screen. Normal lines have 80..") -- 4
rprint(i,"..characters and there are 22 lines per screen. A space equates to a blank line:") -- 5
rprint(i," ") -- 6
rprint(i,"Pipe characters alter this somewhat. The pipe character (|) formats the text") -- 7
rprint(i,"based upon the character immediately following the pipe:") -- 8
rprint(i,"n = Newline inserted. Subequent text on that line is typically hidden.") -- 9
rprint(i,"1234|n5678") -- 10
rprint(i,"t = Tab columns occur on that entire row. 4 columns max -- more overwrite 4th.") -- 11
rprint(i,"1234|t5678|t90|t1234|t5678|t90|t1234|t5678|t90") -- 12
rprint(i,"l = Left-justified text afterwards. (5678)") -- 13
rprint(i,"|r1234|l5678|c90") -- 14
rprint(i,"c = Centered text afterwards. (5678)") -- 15
rprint(i,"1234|c5678|r90") -- 16
rprint(i,"r = Right-justified text afterwards. (5678)") -- 17
rprint(i,"1234|r5678|c90") -- 18
rprint(i," ") -- 19
rprint(i," ") -- 20
rprint(i," ") -- 21
rprint(i,"|cLine 22") -- 22

Edited by sparky on Aug 22, 2017 at 07:17 PM
Edited by sparky on Aug 22, 2017 at 07:48 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Leaderboard for Halo CE,PC,MD Aug 22, 2017 05:25 PM (Total replies: 12)

I'm working on a player leaderboard ranking system.

I'd like some feedback about the in-game stats display layout so far.

This is text I just typed into the rprint lines, for testing:

If you don't like it, give me some idea of what it should look like instead. This I think is the simplest layout. I can only use 4 columns or 80 chars per line, 22 lines total.

Top 20 stats showing:

No stats showing (too cluttered?):

Halo CE General Discussion » |~| Sparky's Variegated Thread Aug 20, 2017 05:08 PM (Total replies: 244)

I changed some details of the approach and I'm re-coding most of it. I'm taking today off and plan to continue on this tomorrow. I've worked on this for about 20 days. I expect probably another week of work, so maybe I'll get this ready before the end of August.

I'll post back here when it's done and ready to be used for dedicated servers of Halo PC, Halo Custom Edition, and HaloMD for Mac.

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
hate having to install anything on my PC

Do you prefer portable versions of applications?
Edited by sparky on Aug 20, 2017 at 05:05 PM

So does this change the game clock speed to 1/60th of a second also, or is it merely interpolating animations, as in, anti-aliasing them so that it is still at 30 frames per second but with divided frames?

Halo CE General Discussion » |~| Sparky's Variegated Thread Aug 17, 2017 06:29 PM (Total replies: 244)

I am making
Quote:
a leaderboard system

When public, you can view the ladder here: https://ladder.galaxyverge.com/. You currently will get a "Verboten" response, but in English.

I've also done several SAPP scripts. I've been doing several databases for various purposes.

Upcoming are a functional membership and login system connected to a leaderboard that works with anything that can run SAPP and PHP. I was asked to provide an API for getting the information of the leaderboard, so I intend to do that also so that you can register for an API key to send with an HTTPS GET request in a PHP script that will echo a JSON file of the interesting information stored in the leaderboard database.

Another script I designed is simple: it bans players who spam join/leave connections to a Halo game server. I don't know where I'll put these scripts eventually (perhaps in a database?) but in the mean time, here is a link to that anti-joinspam-ban SAPP Lua script: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/216982842230439936/347532320011452418/joinspamprevention.lua

Here are some of my notes about how the leaderboard system functions:

Quote: Players are asked to use their e-mail address as their password. This is to give them a memorable password in case their IP address, CD Key Hash, and Profile Name are changed.
When a player joins, look at their current information and check it against their playerindex stored slot information. If it matches, persist their login state. If it does not match, look for their CDKeyHash in the database. If it is found, use that information and check it against their current information. If it matches, persist their login state. If it does not match, have them log in specifying their e-mail address.

When a player leaves a slot, do not alter that slot's information. Instead, when a player connects in that same slot, check their information against that slot's information. This will prevent spam-joins from affecting database queries.

When a new user has registered using their e-mail address, record their current information in the database. While a user is logged in, they are idle in the second thread and their information is updated via events. Every 60 seconds, update their information in the database. When they log out, change their status but do not clear their information; instead, check it for alterations. If their connection duration was over 10 seconds, update their information in the database. Otherwise, there should be no database queries.

A player joins. If they are rejoining using the same IP (any port), CD Key Hash, and Profile Name, they are automatically logged in and can continue playing with their stats being updated to the database every 60 seconds and when they leave.

A player joins. If they are a new member, they provide their e-mail address (it's stored encrypted, as a memorable password) and they can play and have their stats recorded.

A player joins. If they are rejoining using the same CD Key Hash but with a different IP or Profile Name than they had previously in tuple, then they need to specify their e-mail address to log in again, and their new IP and Profile Name are recorded to keep them logged in until such change again.

CD Key Hashes can be stolen or misappropriated by game hosts. Therefore, something unique, such as a password, needs to be provided to indicate to the server that the player is likely the person who registered their CD Key Hash. The current test version of the leaderboard requires players who join to provide a password of at least 13 characters including 2 letters, 2 numbers and 2 symbols. Most simply leave without doing that, because it is easier to type something you already know than to make something up to fit requirements. I'm going to tell the new members to enter their e-mail address or a password they can remember.

When the whole thing is chugging along like Mickey Mouse behind the wheel of his steamboat, I'll post a video of the interface as a ... well, who doesn't like watching my YouTube videos?
Edited by sparky on Aug 17, 2017 at 06:44 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » SAPP Bug? Cannot set afk via script. Aug 17, 2017 06:18 PM (Total replies: 2)

Thanks for the suggestion. I approached the issue in a different way to make it work plausibly with the current version of SAPP.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » SAPP Bug? Cannot set afk via script. Aug 13, 2017 02:10 PM (Total replies: 2)

In the past, this used to work in a Lua script, and now it does not. Does anyone know if this is a bug? sehe is MIA, and his web site is gone, so I don't know how this could be reported and fixed if it is indeed a bug.

execute_command("afk",PlayerIndex)

This returns "false" meaning that the command failed.

I agree, combine the source code into a single program. Even simple functionality would make it more worthwhile than a tool belt.

hugh, keep in touch about your project development!
Edited by sparky on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 17, 2017 09:50 AM (Total replies: 35)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
[...] then another extra for amazon and Yahoo. Companies like Verizon, who owns AOL & Huffington Post could slow competing news organizations sites in favor of their own. [...]

Verizon owns AOL? I thought they were ambitious by now owning Yahoo, but darn that it is the case that I have been using AOL mail all this time and did not even know that Verizon owned it. Time to move to Gmail maybe, or get on that e-mail server I set aside plans for starting.
Edited by sparky on Jul 17, 2017 at 09:58 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 12, 2017 09:36 PM (Total replies: 35)

https://netneutrality.internetassociation.org/action/
Do you use the Internet? Well, the Internet is in mortal peril. If you are a US Citizen, contact the FCC and/or your local senator to help save it for the rest of us.

Halo Maps Forum is hosted in the USA and if the FCC commissioner passes present legislation, it will undoubtedly be blocked or slowed down, not only for people in the USA, but in general. Other services like Discord and NetFlix would be in the same situation, and creativity and free speech will become history.

Time: Sat September 23, 2017 2:29 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website