A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Alpha Series
About Contact
Last Post: Jun 9, 2010 07:14 PM
Interests:
Your Age: 2010
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Alpha Series has contributed to 104 posts out of 463330 total posts (.02%) in 2,618 days (.04 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Texture thread Jun 9, 2010 07:14 PM (Total replies: 145)

on XP.....
Go to start --> RUN
type in CMD
click OK

In the DOS window, type:
cd C:\program files\microsoft games\halo custom edition\
(or where ever you installed halo CE. Make sure you use \back slashes\)
then type
tool bitmap cubemapdirectory\cubemapfile

You save your cubemap somewhere in halo custom edition/data... IE: halo ce/data/cubemaps....

So an example would be....

tool bitmap cubemaps\default_blue

At first it won't work properly. You have to load the new file in guerilla and change the type to "cube maps". Then enter the tool line again.
Edited by Alpha Series on Jun 9, 2010 at 07:14 PM

Portal Game Play Discussion » Oh god!False ending! May 30, 2010 01:43 AM (Total replies: 5)

Yeah, I got this in episode two (legal version) once... I used crafty to extract the textures...
Doesn't happen anymore though, even without the extracted files...

I had a problem with portal once, too, but it was just my old graphics card... I believe it was either a texture crash, or an HDR crash... Doesn't matter...

the Orange Box was probably the most glitchy release by VALVe yet...

Portal Game Play Discussion » impulse 101 ? May 30, 2010 01:39 AM (Total replies: 12)

Yea... Portal is Source... And It's made by VALVe... Which means pretty much 99.99% chance that it's source engine... Which it is...

In fact, it's essentially an episode two mod...

It has the (slightly uncompleted) weapons from episode two...
I say slightly uncompleted because the HUD is messed up with a few of them...

Impulse 101 will give you a crowbar, a gravity manipulator, a pistol, a colt .357 python, a sub machine gun (mp7) with grenade launcher, an AR2 Pulse Rifle (alien-modified weapon from half-life series), which has an alternative fire method which doesn't have much use but to punt things in portal, a modified double barrel pump-action SPAS12, an incendiary crossbow that uses pieces of rebar as ammunition, grenades, a nice laser guided RPG Launcher, and possibly (though I have to check) a bugbait from the half-life series...

Portal Game Play Discussion » What ARE prtal maps? May 30, 2010 01:32 AM (Total replies: 2)

That was very relevant to this topic... And not at all relevant to his avatar and description (/sarcasm)

Anyways... Portal maps are... maps... kinda like levels, but usually smaller, or part of levels...
Custom maps allow someone to create/play new challenges...

Halo CE General Discussion » Why Halo Sucks. May 30, 2010 01:23 AM (Total replies: 47)

Technically the idea of gravity pulling to the center of a ring doesn't work... at all...

This is only true for completely convex objects, such as planets =P

From the inside of a ring, it is almost inverted. You are pulled to whatever part of the ring is closest... You could think of it as multiple objects, since technically it is... It's made up of molecules, which are made of atoms =P

There are NO objects in the center. This means you wouldn't be pulled towards the center ever... However, there are parts of the ring that are not below you... The pull towards those areas would be weaker, because they are further away (If that weren't true, we'd all be on the sun right now, dead, as ashes, and wouldn't have this forum... And in fact, we would be in a completely different area of the universe, where everything else in the universe would be pulled towards as well...)

IF the ring were much, MUCH smaller, you would be pulled towards somewhere on the inside of the ring. The less distance possible, the more you will be pulled towards the center...

The gravitational pull towards the ring's surfaces would probably be a lot less than earth's because it is a ring... And also, weak in general, because it can be observed in the final level of halo 3, that the ring is practically hollow...

Halo CE General Discussion » My HCE Graphics May 25, 2010 07:18 PM (Total replies: 35)

This has been bugging me... Why do my teleporters look blurry, where as other people's teleporters seem more beam like, similar to a shader transparent plasma, but not...

Even this guy's seemed to be unblurred. My teleports are BLURRY :( I want the beam-like look. It's like this on all maps that use the default shader, including original maps.

Get into half-life 2, tf2, or css mapping. Portal mapping is just like it, except with different end goals =P

You should be able to use a logic_auto, and use the input/outputs system to make it fire outputs to the player... Make sure they are delayed...

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page For help.

The outputs should set the player's color to 0 0 0 and set their alpha to 0. These inputs should exist on any object, even if there is no option for it. Since it doesn't recognize "player", you must type "!player" as the target, and use OnMapSpawn, and the output to send to the player is:
Parameter one:
Alpha
Parameter two:
Color
0 0 0

This may sound complicated or confusing. If you are experienced with mapping in VALVe's other games, this would be a fairly easy concept. Use that wiki to find out more.

Mess around with these inputs and outputs. Eventually you will get the hang of it. I don't suggest using this as your first test...

Halo CE General Discussion » What are some other game engines out there? May 24, 2010 04:25 PM (Total replies: 82)

There is one reason why I would stick by the idea that VALVe's source engine is the most flexible mentioned here. It is completely open source. Unlike halo, you can create new mechanics. Weapons are all individually programmed to suit themselves. It's also all done in C++... Thing is, C++ intimidates most people. Also, what makes source so much better than halo's engine, anything that isn't an effect, and is in the "server" sub folder, is synchronized in multiplayer :)

People don't usually use source to it's full potential.

Halo CE General Discussion » Multipurpose Map Help May 23, 2010 06:00 PM (Total replies: 8)

No, I made them a meter. When damaged, they change colors temporarily. Different ranks change colors differently, and when at lower healths they fade (usually to red)

You might think this would look awkward, and make sections invisible, but I assigned it no value. It only has a gradient source and a flash source. This makes it stay one solid object at all times, except when depleted.

They are to be included in a ton of maps =P

I can release a sample if you want. I tend to make my ai challenging on normal, so... It's insane. The zealots fire plasma pistols fast enough to overheat before they finish their barrage...

I actually want to go over the unique qualities of the shields...

Minor Shield is cyan/skyblue. It turns green as it gets damaged. I believe it turns white when shot. It's shield flashes for the longest time, excluding the stealth.

Major Shield is orange. It turns red as it gets damaged. I'm fairly certain it flashes white when shot (Haven't tested this thing in a long time). It's shield flashes for less than a quarter of a second.

Stealth Shield is a very low-intensity shade of violet. Hard to see. It shades over to a brighter red as it's damaged. When it's shot, it goes invisible for about 3/4ths of a second, before the edges fade from white to purple and the entire shield reappears.

Dignant A fairly unique name... They appear to be more like the majors from halo 3, however they are stronger. They have purple shields. Their shields flash white when shot, for the shortest amount of time. The shield turns red as it gets damaged.

Zealot These come in a shielded and unshielded variant. Unshielded uses snipers and anti-air weaponry. Their shield is golden. I may add markers and a constant effect to even make it shimmer :). It fades to white as it gets damaged. When shot, it inverts.
Edited by Alpha Series on May 23, 2010 at 06:27 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » My HCE Graphics May 23, 2010 01:04 PM (Total replies: 35)

Downloading drivers just updates them. Sometimes it adds new options, it pretty much always adds new features. Sometimes optimizations, sometimes just an overall software performance boost.

But you want to make sure its for the right card otherwise your computer will generally assume you just don't have drivers at all.

On a related note, what is the best way to fix the active camouflage glitch where on newer GPUs it doesn't distort? I used to have a fix, but after restarting my PC, it's settings reset and I don't remember them...
Edited by Alpha Series on May 23, 2010 at 01:05 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » My HCE Graphics May 22, 2010 11:53 PM (Total replies: 35)

I run on some outdated card and it works fairly great for the most part. Although it has aged and lost some of it's zip...

I use an nVidia geForce 9800 GTX I think... Anything before that is crap... Anything after that is pretty good, and the first few after that shouldn't be too expensive... I'd have to check.

I go to http://www.newegg.com/

On there, the 9800's go from $89 to $120 or so... Although, a lot of the performance is based on memory, so it's best to get a GTX.

Oh, and also, what is your current card? Is it just what your computer came with? If so, then you should just buy a new one. If you've bought one before, then go to your card's website (nVidia, ATI, etc) and browse it for driver updates. It should assist you in finding out what you need.
Edited by Alpha Series on May 23, 2010 at 01:03 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » What are some other game engines out there? May 22, 2010 03:18 PM (Total replies: 82)

Quote: --- Original message by: DarkLord0912
you must have mis understood me. we as in 4 other pro programmers in are free time have made a engine better than at less halo ce.

We used public libraries of physic engines etc,really good ones when I get back on track I will make topic in the forms to let everyone view the project.
You can put halo things in it %100,though thats not what we made it for.

What confuses me is that a "pro programmer" made so many typing errors in his comment. That must really get annoying when you are programming, seeing as one typing error can bug out or even completely error an entire program.

Halo CE General Discussion » Cubemaps May 21, 2010 11:57 PM (Total replies: 41)

Pentium 4 isn't bad if you have enough speed. For example, I have two 3.2GHz pentium 4's...

Halo CE General Discussion » Cubemaps May 21, 2010 08:27 PM (Total replies: 41)

You can try one... One is just as stressful as water in half-life 2...

What are your CPU/GPU specs?

It has to be HARD to play when you can't see where your portal exits... That's a huge part of the gameplay...
Edited by Alpha Series on May 21, 2010 at 08:28 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Cubemaps May 21, 2010 07:35 PM (Total replies: 41)

In portal, it actually defaults to two renders, and then it duplicates the first render (includes the second) onto the second render, with the last one having either a red or a blue foggy coloring.
On the highest settings, the CPU time is actually noticeable, as the later renders will move slower than the first renders. However, it could just be that they render them after a frame's delay...

Halo CE General Discussion » What are some other game engines out there? May 21, 2010 02:31 PM (Total replies: 82)

Source Engine is GOD, Only problem is, to really change it up, you need to know C++...

Halo CE General Discussion » Cubemaps May 21, 2010 02:23 AM (Total replies: 41)

It takes a lot to render accurate reflections. To reflect a reflection would be MADNESS!
It will happen, but right now I don't expect it.

I was going to go into a lot of detail about this, but... -snip-

Well actually, now that I think about it, the Sims 3 had a fairly nice method. Dynamic mirrors reflected everything, and reflections in those mirrors' reflections used cubemaps.
Edited by Alpha Series on May 21, 2010 at 02:24 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Cubemaps May 21, 2010 01:53 AM (Total replies: 41)

Indeed. That's why it saddens me that so many modern games are still being made with cubemaps.

Halo CE General Discussion » Cubemaps May 21, 2010 01:33 AM (Total replies: 41)

Cubemaps have NEVER made realistic reflections...
But, if you use a generic one that fits the map best, it works. Plus, halo 1 shades the cubemaps in dim lighting, making it blend better than half-life 2...

Halo 3 fades between cubemaps when you move between areas. They aren't shaded, but they also don't reflect the player. I hated how they said they had "real time reflections"... However, phong could be counted as real time diffuse reflections...

The whole idea of cubemaps simply annoys me. The only way they would ever create real time reflections is if they were placed at every pixel or luxel on the screen, with a 1x1x1 size, and rendered every frame... Which would lag more than real time bounce traces...

Halo CE General Discussion » Cubemaps May 21, 2010 01:09 AM (Total replies: 41)

Well isn't that convenient.

If only you could make cubemaps in-game like in half-life 2...

I still trust source for my cubemaps.

Time: Sat June 24, 2017 4:44 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website