A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Twinreaper
About Contact
Last Post: May 7, 2017 03:38 AM
Interests:
Your Age: 37
What Games do you play:
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Twinreaper has contributed to 344 posts out of 464165 total posts (.07%) in 2,634 days (.13 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Money May 7, 2017 03:38 AM (Total replies: 121)

Actually no one owns or hold any copyright on the HEK download file. Every Copyright or Trademark from 1978 to present is available through the Library of Congress. Their databes is extensive. There is no registered or held copyright for the HEK. Microsoft owns copyrights on all Halo products that they actually registered. The HEK is NOT one of them actually. The only PC game copyright held by them is for 2001, the Xbox cd-rom kit. V1.0.

Now you can argue that Halo as a whole is owned by Microsoft, but by law, each new Halo product has to be copyright regestered, hence why if you look through the Congress database, you will see virtually every game, book, digital media, etc.... EXCEPT the HEK package.

I'm not taking sides just listinb information that has an actual legal backing and documented proof rather than just silly blocks of quotes with more blah blah blah and no links.

Under all Halo game titles, the type of copyright is "Computer file". Only because the originating creation medium is the computer.

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=5&ti=1,5&SEQ=20170507033551&Search%5FArg=halo%20combat%20evolved&Search%5FCode=TALL&CNT=25&PID=zWXSLZfgzbkWjqychApC6mEOWlU&SID=4

There are two copyrights for Halo for PC. One listed as 2001 which is Halo Combat Evolved for Xbox, obviously....

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=4&ti=1,4&SEQ=20170507033757&Search%5FArg=halo%20combat%20evolved&Search%5FCode=TALL&CNT=25PID=SbpYh99OaUnfJGZwSXMiXMRp80v&SID=4

And here is the one for HCE PC. After that, no copyright for an HEK can be found anywhere within the United States official Copyright Office or Library of Congress.

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=3&ti=1,3&SEQ=20170507033801&Search%5FArg=halo%20combat%20evolved&Search%5FCode=TALL&CNT=25&PID=Cg3laNCUe3jcPATa2GBhAZleFU&SID=4

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » Sapien FPS lag? May 7, 2017 03:07 AM (Total replies: 3)

Windows 10 is your problem. There is severe incompatability with Windows 10 and ANYTHING that needs/uses DX9. Switch back to Windows 7 and all will be fixed.

And no, as of yet there is no fix for this. You can see for yourself in debug with Sapien, that DX calls are causing the issue. Neither the community nor Microsoft have any fix for this. Those running Sapien or H2V fine in Windows 10 are in the extreme lucky minority. Mine worked fine till updates got installed, uninstalled some apps and or installed new ones...then everything went downhill.

Halo CE General Discussion » Money May 5, 2017 03:02 AM (Total replies: 121)

Actually this thread does the raise the question about where Microsoft actually stands on the issue, and the most recent 1.10 update provided by Bungie.

Technically, Bungie employees got paid (made profit) by altering and distributing the patch to begin with. Since Bungie is no longer a contracted developer, this in itself is a violation. Since proof cannot be provided that Bungie obtained proper usage and or clearance to do so, it is a logical assumption that either Microsoft looked the other way, or because ligigation with another developer and it's backer (Activision), likely provides a larger degree of difficulty than some basement pleb.

As for you Dennis, I'm not picking on you or saying that your wrong, but if we are going to throw around phrases like "it's been litigated", then let's see some links for the case files which should be public record.

As for you Sparky, I can't say I blame you for posing the question. But you also need to remember that you CHOSE to dedicate the time you put into the game. If in hind sight you wish you hadn't, then that is simply a poor life choice you have to live with.

All the conjecture, laughing, trolling and the like aside, this is a 15+ year old game. Even, EVEN IF you could obtain a go ahead to sell work for the game, how much are you really likely to make? You can't write it off on taxes, there is no real market for it, and with all the free content available, I cannot believe that people are "holding out" the good stuff cause they are not getting paid. Just my 5 cents....

Halo CE General Discussion » Money Apr 24, 2017 02:59 PM (Total replies: 121)

The only thing I see that could compensate you for your work, is selling standalone assets and marketing them use in various media catagories. Like, selling a rigged biped model created by hand using the same naming conventions for bones and markers. This would allow you to make money for custom hand created items without Halo likeness, and allow the purchaser to use it in various games.

Also keep in mind that despite a EULS, Microsoft has no rights, usage or otherwise legal route when it comes to already copyrighted material being put into Halo. Microsoft does not assume ownership and copyright of Bugs Bunny, just because someone put him into Halo.

The same goes for work you produce that is original. If you file a copyright or trademark, it is yours no matter where it used. Also, anything not protected falls under public domain. Material cannot be owned or rights assumed without specifically being applied for.

Such is the case with H2A. Blow me away is copyright owned by Breaking Benjamin Music and WB. Microsoft had to redo the music originally supplied from them because they could not obtain a usage for it. They didn't have or gain ownership simply because they had it in a game already.

The same is true for "tags". Tags as defined by the Bungie owned copyright, describes tags as being a fundamental catagories in which to simplify contents and resource access. Microsoft does not own a copyright for "tags", only the stock visual and audible material contained within the tag.

Halo CE General Discussion » Uncommon tool error Mar 27, 2017 10:57 AM (Total replies: 6)

That makes sense. Im gonna remove both sphere rooms and see about cutting down on a lot of extra geometry that isnt part of the main level bounds. Thanks for the help Kirby, I'll let you know how it goes.

Halo CE General Discussion » Uncommon tool error Mar 27, 2017 12:41 AM (Total replies: 6)

As in having to many sides on a sphere? Cause I did add spherical base tunnels. Iirc, I set the sphere at 92 sides so it would be ultra smooth and round lol

Halo CE General Discussion » Uncommon tool error Mar 26, 2017 12:28 AM (Total replies: 6)

Thanx Flanky! I'll link you tomorrow night. PC is off and it is past my bed time. Mom is telling at me...

Halo CE General Discussion » Uncommon tool error Mar 25, 2017 10:07 PM (Total replies: 6)

Not sure if this is even a thing in CE, but my searching the forum yielded no results, as well as many exausting Google searches.

In a nut shell I'm trying to diagnose errors in H2V by looking into it's CE counterpart. For the most part, errors with compiling are similar and usually you can figure out how to fix things up. The error I am getting is this...

### ERROR plane builder unable to converge<br>03.25.17 17:00:01.503 ### ERROR bsp is too deep (increase MAXIMUM_BSP3D_DEPTH)<br>03.25.17 17:00:01.676 ### ERROR structure import pipeline failed for scenarios\multi\beaver\beaver<br> </HTML>

Has anyone had a similar error in CE when compiling a bsp? If so, could you please pass on any information you have. Thanks!

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » Is Project Cartographer Down? Feb 11, 2017 09:43 AM (Total replies: 3)

You won't find info here. Head over to it's home at halo2vista.com to find news and info.

Since no one can ever simply answer a question around here without run-around bullcrap, I'll be quick and precise. You can make mp maps and most mp content, but you cannot modify sp content nor can you extract it.

H2PC's HEK was severly lobatomized forcing a LOT of possible custom content impossible. The team I used to co-lead did a lot of work to restore lost functionality and opened up a lot of new content that works without 3rd party, or game breaking modifications to the mainmenu map file.

To date, here is a quick list of what you can make that works...

bitmaps
shaders
collision models (manually by hand using a base coll)
physics models (manually by hand using a base phmo)
scenery
crates
machines
ai
ai dialog
bsp's
render models (convert ce to h2)
cinematic intros
limited sp maps (players dont sync)
weapons
vehicles
equipment
sounds
effects
weather
lots of others.....im sleepy

Surfice to say that the methods are not easy but do yield good results. As for the aformentioned better mods with CE......not really. I can invoke the post process of shaders and lighting without an OS equivilant, I can script anything in CE in H2, the poly and map limits are higher. The only difference is that the animation raw, campaign tags and coll/phmo compiling are not present in the game. So, if you like multiplayer only and don't care about campaign, go check out h2pc.org to learn more about what you can do and learn how to do it.
Edited by Twinreaper on Jan 28, 2017 at 07:18 PM
Edited by Twinreaper on Jan 28, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Edited by Twinreaper on Jan 28, 2017 at 07:22 PM

I'm too lazy to rar the file up and host it, so instead, register here at our old H2X stomping ground and get it direct...

http://remnantmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1325

As for batch extracting, it's in the plain options so there isn't much I cand irect you to do. As far as formats, iirc it rips them in wav format.

You need to extract the sounds from the Xbox side. While sound related tags are fully compatible with CE ones, H2V is not so easily ripped. There seems to be a major tag block difference in terms of secondary data which results in crashing when opening certain sound types in any application, including the H2EK. There are basic sounds already available in the EK, but sadly only mutiplayer ones.

Use Entity and grab the stock maps for H2X. From what I recall, Troy implimented batch extraction in version 3.18 of Entity.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 5 forge as a map creation tool Sep 17, 2016 09:54 PM (Total replies: 35)

^^ So what are you looking for? A Windows 8 or Windows 10 product key? If the answer is yes, I have quite a few unused ones in MSDN account. I would be happy to give you one.

This is actually a very awesome release. I was thinking about re-installing CE and the HEK just to mess around and this actually helps me NOT waste time trying to locate all the community stuff on backup dvd's (if I still have them), and will configure it all for me. Epic win. Thanks T, great job!

Halo CE General Discussion » Modeling software & other questions Aug 1, 2016 07:45 AM (Total replies: 35)

As already stated, it is ALWAYS a good idea to keep a few versions of Max handy. You can easily setup a github or label each file with a version extension to keep things organized.

Aside from the torrent/illegal links to obtain pre 2010 versions, you can signup for FREE student software from Autodesk, and get everything you need. If your going to school, look for the links on Autodesk.

As for exporters, both Blitz and Blue are buggy so go with Junglegym.

Believe me Sniper, I have been patient but my hopes have dwindled substatialy. At this point unless I finally get custom animations, collision, physics models, render_models, sounds along with a custom shared and sp shared resource to compile and work in the EK.....I have nothing left.

There is also the 20mb map limit that literally stops a LOT of thinhs from happening. Yes I can create basic collision physics for crate and scenery items. But in order to add more complex items to a map I need compiling to work. Having to add those items into a map as instanced geometry just to make things look complete, leave no room for actual good geometry and greatly inhibits gameplay value.

I have worked tirelessly with Korns private H2EK source code in hopes of finishing and completeing what he couldnt.....but in the end I couldnt do it either. From a content perspective, gametypes, server side scripting and co op items will do little to nothing to reinvent or repopulate the game unless we can offer an experience that matches something from at least the last decade of Halo online gaming.

Now unless someone finds a way to efficiently script in a server and client along with compiling methid of using outide raw resources in-game...my hopes are not high. I will continue my own work off and on in regards to map and tag content in hopes that usage of said materials may be able to one day be of use.

IfI come accross as whiney, it isnt meant to be that, its utter frustration. After nearly 10 years of devoting myself to the game, we are left still yet again high and dry. Its not you that im frustrated with, its the lack of HEK we have to work with, and the 0 support from Microsoft.

As much as I would enjoy passing my knowledge along to someone else who wants to carry the torch, at this point there is nothing gratifying for me in the game any longer. So much to the point that my almost 40g of personal source material will never be worked on or conpleted.

I did not know that you hadnt been around long enough to enjoy Halo from the start, from an expert modding perspective. For that I apologize and simply just wish you well in you endevours.

I'm just not sure of the path this is taking. Why such a strong push for force loading multiplayer in a campaign environment? Even the progress that was made in the form of multiplayer AI is about a 1/32nd of what CE achieved. WITHOUT the ability to produce actual custom maps with full shared extracted or compiled resources, nothing will get done.

It's not a simple as just pointing to a resource directory, and using a hook to search and load that tag or dependent data. If that were the case, we would have made full Firefight style maps years ago.

Bonus Questikn: Why such a strong focus on bringing co op anyway? After nearly 15 years...playing Halo 2 campaign regardless of elementary tweaking, is very stale and quite pointless in my opinion. If people really really wanted to play H2 co op, they could do so in less time and less frustration by buying an Xbox Gen 1, and using Tunggle or Xlink.

Co-Op isn't a networking issue, it's an engine issue. Similar to CE, Halo 2's version of Blam! does not sync certain data types across client and host. The campaign engine is required to enable AI features, which is why specifically in H2, the only mods we were able to achieve involving AI, is to force load a multiplayer map using the engine switch method.

Even the advanced mods that had some sort of co op, the secondary player would not spawn if they died, and bsp loading would be effected, aka, secondary players could not traverse the length of the map properly.

As for unlocking the H2EK, thats not gonna happen. Base code references were removed from Tool, Sapien and Guerilla involving animation, render models, collision geometry and physics. The only method we currently have to get custom models into game, is by converting CE compiled gbx models into H2 render models....which only works properly about 30% of the time.

So unless someone out there figures out exactly how to write a custom compiler to create these otems and an appropriate exporter for the max/maya software, its not gonna happen.

Indeed it was October 2015 that the Halo 2 Master Server last functioned. Since then the H2MT has made repeated attempts to reach and obtain information about it, but nothing has been reterned. For some reason the thread for it over at H2PC isnt there, like sniper or kant deleted it, not sure why. But for shiz and giggles, you can head over and track down the shotty server support for sure.

Time: Sun August 20, 2017 5:05 PM 328 ms.
A Halo Maps Website