A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: haloce orange
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 23, 2010 04:53 PM
Interests: modding
Your Age: 22
What Games do you play: Monday Night Combat, Halo: Reach, TF2, L4D
Why bust your arse? When you can have a free car!
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
haloce orange has contributed to 7 posts out of 465497 total posts (0.00%) in 3,636 days (0.00 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » can someone help me with textures? Jul 23, 2010 04:53 PM (Total replies: 2)

http://tinyurl.com/39c8fx3 - grass
http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/snow_ice/index.htm - snow

Those should have some free textures that will tile seamlessly.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Modeling bases 2 Jul 19, 2010 02:43 AM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: hider

Hey guys, I'm not a map maker, and sorry for double posting, but I would like to model a base in Art of Illusion and not GMAX. I'm not really sure of the maximium height before fall damage, and how steep of an angle can a SPARTAN climb, so can anybody help me with that? I'm using art of illusion so I can directly export into .obj.
Edited by hider on Jul 18, 2010 at 10:31 PM

Look under "Halo Player Statistics" in the HEK tutorial. It should have everything you're looking for, but I'll post the answers to your questions as well.

Halo to Real World Scale
As a reference, the Master Chief is approximately 7 feet tall.
This makes the unit scale approximately 10 units = 1 foot or about 1 unit = 1.2 inches.

(Not sure if it would be the same since I have no knowledge of Art of Illusion, but...)
100 (max) units is about 1 (halo) unit
So MC height = 70 max units = .7 halo units

Player Movement Angles (degrees)
Maximum Slope Angle: 45

Player Falling Damage
Harmful Falling Distance
3 to 6 (Random Range) units
(about 300 to 600 max units)

Maximum Falling Distance (any farther = automatic death)
16.5 units
(about 1650 max units)

*Note: these values can be changed in the .biped tag of the character

Tool wants you to to specify a shader to be associated with the bitmap used in max. When it gives you the "choose a type for the shader" option it creates a new empty shader in the tags root folder. You have 2 options: use the one tool spat out or create your own beforehand (I would suggest the latter since once you know how its very simple).

Option 1. To use what little help tool gave you:
After running tool and choosing the shader type (in this case you would pick 1 for shader_environment), find the newly created .shader_environment file in your tags folder and move it to the shaders folder for your map. Replace mapname with your level.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\levels\test\mapname\shaders

Then open the file in guerilla and give it has the following properties:
radiosity properties -> flags -> check simple parameterization (mainly used on ground textures)
physics properties -> material type -> (choose the type of material: dirt, sand, stone, snow, etc.)
diffuse properties -> base map -> reference your bitmap file (ex. ground.bitmap)
Then save and close guerilla.

Now re-run tool and there should be no more error.

Option 2. Creating your own shaders beforehand will prevent this error. Before running structure in tool do this:
Open Guerilla and select File -> New... and select shader_environment from the drop down list.
Give it the same properties as above and save it as the name of the sub-material used in max (ex. ground.shader_environment) in the shaders folder of your map. Its location should look like this:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition\tags\levels\test\mapname\shaders\filename.shader_environment
Replace mapname with your level name and filename with the name of the sub-material in max.
Edited by haloce orange on Jul 16, 2010 at 02:32 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE original gametypes Jun 13, 2010 03:15 AM (Total replies: 1)

I believe they should be located in the "My Games" folder under "My Documents." Here's what mine looks like:
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Halo CE\saved\playlists\default_playlist

Quote: --- Original message by: FtDSpartn

There was a netgame flag block that was named wpcl that was causing it. You would of had to rename it to itmc or whatever it says.
Edited by FtDSpartn on Jun 12, 2010 at 11:16 PM

I'm sorry but I don't exactly know where to find or how I would have fixed that.

I transferred all my data back to my desktop in an attempt to save what I had and it somehow worked. Any problem with the tags that might have been is now gone, but it makes no sense that it would work on one computer and not another. My laptop's been having problems recently saying I should backup and replace the hard drive so I'll be looking into that.

Thank you for your assistance, if you could elaborate as to how I was supposed to rename the netgame flag block it would help me and anyone else who comes across this problem in the future. Other than that the issue has been resolved.

Tried it but nothing happened.
I removed all my custom weapons and palettes (fog, weather, sound environment, & background sound) in the scenario and scenario_structure_bsp tags. Now the map is a blank slate and the error still occurs.

Thankfully I had some backups on my old desktop (been using my laptop for editing recently) and they seem to work fine so I'll be sticking with that for now. Just a few months of work lost (no big deal). I'm just stumped as to how the error came to be in the first place. All I can assume is that it had something to do with OS, because my desktop files were made with the regular editing kit, while I used OS on my laptop in an attempt to take advantage of its newer features (globals override, physics editing, memory upgrades, etc.)

Sapien has been giving me some trouble recently. I haven't used the editing kit in months (classes come first) and now that finals are nearly over I've decided to pickup on some of the levels I've had on the back burner.

Sapien will open and operate normally, if I open a stock map. The problem comes from opening a custom map. It will open and display the game window, but if I click +Mission under the Hierarchy view tab it immediately shuts down. This means I cannot add any other tags to the level, be them scenery, weapons, or netgame flags. Here is the debug:
06.11.10 18:43:03  sapien pc 01.00.08.0616 ----------------------------------------------
06.11.10 18:43:03 reference function: _write_to_error_file
06.11.10 18:43:03 reference address: 401b13
06.11.10 18:43:03 Couldn't read map file './sapienbeta.map'
06.11.10 18:43:04 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
06.11.10 18:43:07 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
06.11.10 18:43:07 Increasing sound decompression buffer size to 1048576 bytes
06.11.10 18:43:21 DirectInput: 'Acquire (keyboard)' returned (DIERR_OTHERAPPHASPRIO#-2147024891)
06.11.10 18:44:07 local player 0, weapon (0x0), deleted unexpectedly
06.11.10 18:44:09 EAX: 0x0000005E
06.11.10 18:44:09 EBX: 0x00000001
06.11.10 18:44:09 ECX: 0x00000000
06.11.10 18:44:09 EDX: 0x00A37B78
06.11.10 18:44:09 EDI: 0x0013DF70
06.11.10 18:44:09 ESI: 0x00000000
06.11.10 18:44:09 EBP: 0x0013DE48
06.11.10 18:44:09 ESP: 0x0013DE38
06.11.10 18:44:09 EIP: 0x7C90E514, C3 8D A4 24 ?????
06.11.10 18:44:09 EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_groups.c,#2419: group_tag==NONE || tag_group_get(group_tag)
Note: I am using OS_sapienbeta but the issue also occurs in regular Sapien.

The only info about this error that I could find is this:
Posted By THX 1138 on Apr 3, 2009 05:36 PM

I found a bug, and a solution! Not that anyone will ever need it, but...
Importing an exported scenario.txt crashed guerilla, with an "EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\tag_files\tag_groups.c,#2419: group_tag==NONE || tag_group_get(group_tag)"
I found that it crashed when it read a netgame flag with a "wpcl" weapon group tag reference from bloodgulch's red flag. Changing "wpcl" to "itmc" fixes it.
Edited by bobbysoon on Apr 7, 2009 at 02:48 AM
but I have no idea how to use this information to help me.

The only thing I can think of is that I switched a projectile on a weapon, however upon receiving the error I switched it back; yet the error still comes up. I checked and all the tag locations are correct (no red text in any fields). The level already has some tags I added to it from before and I can build-cache-file the level into a map file, but I cannot add anything else.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Time: Mon May 25, 2020 6:06 PM 171 ms.
A Halo Maps Website