A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: cyboryxmen
About Contact
Last Post: Jun 17, 2013 01:37 AM
Interests: in stuff
Your Age: longer than cheese
What Games do you play: FPS
--CG artist-- New mission. Refuse this Mission!
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
cyboryxmen has contributed to 740 posts out of 461484 total posts (.16%) in 2,332 days (.32 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Gandalf: Revelation | A Halo CE Montage | 720p Jun 17, 2013 01:37 AM (Total replies: 17)

Damn, I feel sorry for these guys. they practically have no chance against you and can't even spawn without immediately dying soon after. Damn.
-zekilk

Halo CE General Discussion » R.I.P Halo 5 and Xbox One Jun 13, 2013 06:09 AM (Total replies: 61)

Microsoft doesn't seem to be interested in Singapore. Microsoft's servers which the x-box one needs to connect to are not available in asia meaning that I couldn't get the console to work without hacking it. The servers won't even support other regions such as the entire continent of africa, the gulf and parts of south america. Damn.
-Zekilk

Halo CE General Discussion » [blender]GBXmodel exporter Jun 9, 2013 10:41 AM (Total replies: 50)

Windows>Toggle system console

This should show you the entire error.
-Zekilk

I kinda knew that I lost the ability to convey clear concise information after I stopped participating in forums. Instead of using that horrible example of mine, put games like Bastion and Thomas was Alone and Portal into mind. Those games were praised for their narration and I would assume that you would know of em.

Also, how would commandment #1,2 and 4 make the game easy? The active camouflage is there. I never found use of it since the encounter in the room it was in was kinda easy with the marines around. Only when all the marines died and I was 1 firefight away from rescuing Keyes with one bar of health that I found use of the powerup but had to backtrack my way back to get it. That's not making the game harder, it's just more monotonous. Not to mention the convoluted idea that you would get the very powerup that you need in an encounter inside the very same room. It would be better to allow the player to carry those powerups and use them when they feel when it is appropriate.

The suggestion to remove difficulty settings was put in mind to get rid of easy and normal difficulties so that people can focus on balancing on heroic and legendary. The SP maps that I have played(lumoria...) are horribly unbalanced on legendary and heroic and it is obvious that people cannot balance maps for 4 different difficulty settings. They might as well design the map on a specific difficulty by making each difficulty setting the same. This would help the poor sod who knows nothing and dares to choose to play on legendary or heroic on a very specific map(dat boss fight!). Modders just can't balance the game for 4 different difficulties. I'm not saying that they should always balance the game with Heroic difficulty or higher in mind but we should really just focus on one difficulty.

#1 was also annoying too as no amount of skill will help you win once you are smacked over the edge. No amount of skill can save you from that. It would make the game harder but that doesn't mean that the game is not a douche for doing something like that. Games like Bioshock Infinite already removed killboxes and we should follow suit. #3 is debatable but no one seems interested in talking about that one which is odd. Surely someone would have an opinion on our beloved regenerating health system?
-Zekilk
Edited by cyboryxmen on Jun 6, 2013 at 09:16 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [blender]GBXmodel exporter Jun 6, 2013 07:55 AM (Total replies: 50)

right click and "save link as".
-Zekilk

So from what I can gather, people mostly agree to #1-4(right?) and the rest are basically ramblings of a madman. However, I would still like to elaborate on some points which I was not able to do earlier because I forgot that Halomaps has no autosave feature(sigh. It happened while I was forking on commandment #8 too).

By dialogue, I do not necessary mean voice acting. The dialogue can still be delivered RPG style through text just like Covert OPs. The reason why Earthbound has such a cult following is because of it's personality that it is able to achieve through it's dialogue. Unlike other RPGs, Earthbound's dialogue are not used primarily to move the story along. They are passive yes but they are just so entertaining to read that you just go hunting for them.

This is what I think will make Halo much more phenomenal than it already is. Halo was the Crysis of the time. The environments were gorgeous. The ambience played in the background really do set the mood and fits perfectly into the environment. None of that matters though if the player simply runs through to the next firefight. I realised how lonely the Truth and Reconciliation is even without the marines. Cortana was a lost potential in that game really. In the moments of the game where those two were alone, tons of dialogue could be had that would have been somewhat witty given Bungie's writing. It would make the level 343 guilty spark that more phenomenal when you do not have your little A.I. friend talking to you anymore really making it more tone changing and erry. Guilty spark may not even be hated as much if he gave advice along the way helping the player out replacing the position of cortana while she was gone.

So whenever you reach the part of truth and Reconciliation where you are in a room with huge controls in the middle, stop. Go up that pedestal, look at the controls then role play. When I did this, I imagined cortana hacking into the covenant weapons cache(cheat_all_weapons). I then got the Cheer carbine(it plays marine cheering sounds when it is fired and has an incredibly powerful knockback) and jump all over the place like a spoiled brat because that gun is just so fun to play with. Cortana questions why I would want that weapon out of all the others especially since it doesn't seem to do much damage but I just kept firing wildly running head on into some jackals.She then called me a kid and went silent after that. People really should make dialogue like this in their maps just to add more personality to them(Hell, I would play a bloodgulch SP mod if it has dialogue in it)

Yeah, the original was supposed to be lengthier than this. I supposed that it really didn't matter since they did kinda got redundant after #4. Also, you know how hunters can't do friendly fire to each other because the A.I would kill their own teammates? Do the same for marines! Give them a rocket launcher and they would kill their entire squad...and me! I could have sworn most of my deaths were because I was shot in the back by a bullet(I saw that bullet trail marine! It went right through the side of my helmet!)
-Zekilk
(Hah! Ctrl+C! You can't erase my post into oblivion now "Error occurred while processing request")
Edited by cyboryxmen on Jun 6, 2013 at 07:58 AM

Ah, new person! Everything is so different now. I don't see much of anyone from my batch that I know of other than Tiel and a few others. Ran out of ideas with that last one there. What do you think of the current health system though? I actually turned the shields indicator off(and the entire hud too actually) because it kept signalling me to retreat which usually caused me to die. I can see where everyone was going with hating on Halo's shields. It's way more fun to play it like Doom and not be persuaded to hide under a rock for a few seconds.
-Zekilk

Edit: Also, try not to quote the entire post. It is natural to assume that you are referring to OP by default anyway. Now if you excuse me, I think I am am going to go have another round of Halo.
Edited by cyboryxmen on Jun 5, 2013 at 10:53 AM

You know, after playing every other notable shooter the industry has to offer, only Halo's A.I was the one that were not completely braindead(that and F.E.A.R).Though I must admit, I do not remember any other reason to like halo over any other shooter. Maybe I was biased as halo was my first real shooter I have ever played. Well, I guess I could just play CMT SPV3 Truth and Reconciliation map to find out. It can't be that...

I am the masterchief! Bow before my plasma rifle covenant scum!

Seriously though, the game does have it's own flaws after a few...thousand replays. It would be cool to have a sprint button and charge at a zealot and thrust his sword right back into his skull but that is just my opinion. Here are some of the things I want future map-makers to keep in mind when making maps.

• 1)Thou shalt not have kill boxes

• Get rid of them. I would hate to get flung back into oblivion by my own warthog due to whacky Blam! engine physics. I liked Bioshock Infinite's approach to this issue. They simply teleport the player back up when they fall off and not enter a failstate and revert to checkpoint. This can also be applied to boundary limits in Halo Reach where they just kill you if you so choose stay outside the set map boundary for a few seconds.

• 2)Thou shalt allow player to carry healthpacks

• Did you hear? F.E.A.R actually allows the player to carry healthpacks for later instances. What a great innovation for all games to follow! This includes all powerups and consumables too. I hated myself for passing on a good active camouflage because I was only able to find it after the firefight. You can't seriously expect me to backtrack all the way once I found an actual difficult firefight to use it against do you? Also, I guess it would be nice to be able to carry more than one weapons...I guess...

• 3)Thou shalt have shields regenerate at all times

• Let's return to the idea of shields for a moment. Shields allow you to win against a firefight even with 5% health if you were able to hold on to the skin of your teeth as the covenant arsenal rip you to shreds. It ain't easy but it certainly not impossible unlike previous games where you are expected to have multiple checkpoints on your first run just in case that you do not have enough health to go through another firefight. This entire philosophy is screwed over though if you expect the player to sit in a corner and cry every time he needs full health. It turns them into cowards and they will frequently run back into cover every time instead of playing the game as it is supposed to be played...like a spartan. Wooooooooooo!!!!!!!

Allowing shields to regenerate while out of cover just makes them useful again for Halo's firefights because honestly, they are useless after the first 10 seconds when they go down and you keep getting hit my plasma from all directions. After all, the true difference between the people who love halo and the people who hated it are the spartans and the wall huggers.

• 4)Thou shalt not have difficulty settings

• This is why people get pissy when someone implements difficulty settings into their games. Balancing for these things are hard as they are like balancing for whole new games for each difficulty. Bioshock was a cakewalk on Normal and 1 difficulty higher and the enemies are bullet sponges. They are not worth it and you shouldn't try to implement them. Just design the game as if it was on Heroic; the way halo was meant to be played

• 5)Thou shalt provide skull modifiers for the mentally unsound

• Even though the entire idea of the previous statement is to get the game to be more balanced does not mean we cannot provide the player the ability to unbalance a game. There are just some crazy people out there that love their enemies bullet spongy and who are we to deny them this? Plus, sputnik skull and grunt confetti is awesome.

• 6)Thou shalt disable friendly fire on marines

• Self-explanatory

• 7)Thou shalt not make melee damage deadly

• The Masterchief is a tank. He hits hard and can take hits himself. Brutes and hunters and tough as they are should not be strong enough to K.O a guy can can survive an orbital drop from the stratosphere! Even for the zealots, the Masterchief should have the ability to smack that sword back into their pretty little face with those iron bones of his...or maybe with his rifle. As long as the player timed the melee right, The chief should receive minimal damage from the sword. If not, he dies. Simple as that.

• 8)Thou shalt not bother with smoothing groups

• I did the export script for blender. The JMS file does not record smoothing groups at all! I double checked with the GBXmodel tag and it has no input for this either. Halo completely ignores smoothing groups and it is time that people stop bothering about this too. I'm surprised that Ghost or any of the guys that did the modding for halo(Kornmann in particular for open sause) did not mention this. This is really not so much as a flaw but a minor tidbit.

• 9)Thou shalt nerf grenades

• Ah yes, the mini-nukes. Nerf em. They are way unbalanced.

• 10)I'm very lonely inside

• Just notice how lonely halo can get. Your marines don't really talk and respond that much so I have to make my own witty dialogue along the way.

"What's that sound?"

"It's the covenant phantom. It must have docked while we were in those tunnels."

"Nice, I wonder if the driver is still inside? It would be totally awesome if I get to drive that thing."

"Oh sure you can. They usually leave the keys in the ignition don't they?"

Minutes later...

"Hop on everybody!"

"You know, I was kidding when I said that..."

Halo needs more dialogue at the side. It already has witty humour in the writing but it just needs more passive lines like these be spoken. It's very lonely after every firefight and my little A.I friend doesn't talk to me all that much.

Well that took a while. So what do you guys think?
-Zekilk
Edited by cyboryxmen on Jun 5, 2013 at 09:56 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Odst mapping team May 20, 2013 10:08 AM (Total replies: 1783)

Well I'm back. Don't ask. It's a long story. I really should've told you guys about my absence first but my laptop is being a real pain then. Still is though so I will need to use this PC. Wait what's that...I have exams?

I literally just got back! Seriously!

Fine. If you excuse me, I need to write an essay...in 8 languages...
-Zekilk

Halo CE General Discussion » Loadouts in multiplayer Apr 24, 2013 10:34 AM (Total replies: 20)

You do realise that there is already a scripting thread right?

The menu is definitely possible but it would be a pain to keep track of all the players as player numbers change frequently(though not entirely impossible). Figure out a way to do that and you just need a few more lines of code to implement this: one to take away the player's weapon and another to give the player their selected weapons.
-Zekilk

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Odst mapping team Apr 24, 2013 10:18 AM (Total replies: 1783)

With the team leader gone, it would be a waste to have the team disbanded like this. In order to get the team to stay together, we need a project to work on. With members already working on H2SPP, this project will prove big enough to require our assistance and will keep us busy for some time. It won't be exactly be ODST orientated but those guys need all the help they can get.

All available members who are interested, say I. It would also be nice if you can provide us with your contacts; preferably xfire but skype will do too. I would also like to remind everyone of the existance of a shared dropbox folder containing all our files. To gain access to these files, just PM me or mutjuh.
-Zekilk

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » 3d's Max 2014 & HEK what to expect? Apr 21, 2013 07:54 AM (Total replies: 25)

2014 is a modern freely available version that actually supports .wrl imports. This is really going to be useful for us as the blam engine uses .wrls to highlight errors in geometry that tool finds. The only alternative to this is the blender 2.4x series or any version passed 2010 so good luck getting your hands on that.
-Zekilk

Actually, I prefer to incorporate it with the kinect. Full body motion has potential and someone has to push that thing forward. I mean just watch this!

Keep in mind that for the vid with the glowsticks, the guy barely had any room and was standing like a meter away from the kinect or something.
-Zekilk
Edited by cyboryxmen on Apr 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Where can I buy a digital copy of CE? Apr 10, 2013 10:40 AM (Total replies: 10)

Was it halorank.com? I think they are still selling cd keys.
-Zekilk

Halo CE General Discussion » Scripting Thread Apr 9, 2013 10:25 AM (Total replies: 244)

A new scripting concept

After playing on the level Assault at the control room and then jumping off the bridge, I realised that there is a problem with the startup script. I suppose that you can use continuous scripts instead but there is a limit as to how much checks you can have at one time. After reading an article on Halo a.i. where it says that the a.i. is made unpredictable using the player as the player is unpredictable. So instead of doing that, why not have a bunch of dormant scripts lying around to be activated by a player? This obviously won't work with traditional check volumes as those are made for continuous scripts but I have another way of having the player activating scripts.

I call it the continuous script to continuously script them all. Basically, we'll have an a.i. attached to the player that will only be hostile to one biped. That way, when the player enters a room with the biped, the a.i will go into alert mode. A continuous script will pick this up and activate a dormant script depending on what the a.i. is currently looking at. We can also have 2 a.is, one that can see 360 degrees and one that is limited to the player's perspective. This is just a concept and can be modified to fit everyone's needs but I would like to hear your opinions about it. Kirbs?
-Zekilk

Halo CE General Discussion » Flash light time... Apr 9, 2013 10:07 AM (Total replies: 22)

Isn't there a command that binds keys to commands called "bind"? Why are people not using that instead?
-Zekilk

Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Apr 9, 2013 09:33 AM (Total replies: 8445)

Since I can actually export models into halo now, I actually have a use for this. For my first trick, I'll do this!

-Zekilk

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 9, 2013 09:07 AM (Total replies: 14951)

Considering that I never actually received critique on this old thing...

What do ya think?

-Zekilk

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicles - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 9, 2013 09:02 AM (Total replies: 4973)

Quote: --- Original message by: savinpvtmike
I was bored
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCGfq4z-BnQ&feature=youtu.be

Ever saw an entire armada get eradicated by being rammed by one giant frigate?

Also, that thing needs more inertia. Something that massive is not allowed to turn on a dime like that.
-Zekilk

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Odst mapping team Apr 9, 2013 08:26 AM (Total replies: 1783)

Well, I had just somewhat finished my plugin for blender so hopefully I can actually go into halo game development. Everyone send in your x-fire username so that we can stay in touch.
-Zekilk

Time: Sun March 26, 2017 9:05 AM 281 ms.
A Halo Maps Website