A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Diaboy
About Contact
Last Post: Jan 8, 2015 12:31 PM
Interests: Many
Your Age: Older than some, younger than many.
What Games do you play:
A self-fulfilling prophecy of endless possibility

Post Statistics
Diaboy has contributed to 301 posts out of 469451 total posts (.06%) in 3,217 days (.09 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Bigass Public Beta Jan 8, 2015 12:31 PM (Total replies: 1869)

Cool. I'm getting quotes for the fabrication of the PC case next week, so should give me plenty time. And yes. All my sound editing stuff is on there too...

Halo CE General Discussion » Bigass Public Beta Jan 8, 2015 12:11 PM (Total replies: 1869)

I just realised I originally posted it in bloody 2011 in the WIP post. I thought it was like a year at most >.<

I've not done any recent renders as the model has changed somewhat (and is on my almost dead hard drive that I need to back up...!), but the most recent one I can find is linked below:

http://diaboy.deviantart.com/art/MA5K-getting-there-208603783

I need to get back into this, holy hell.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bigass Public Beta Jan 8, 2015 11:57 AM (Total replies: 1869)

Sorry, bit late to the party - notice you had my drawing of one of the Halo blueprints (the MA3) I did a while back, but I really want to get my original MA5K model finished by the end of Feb (as it gives me more reason to build my computer...!) and you'd be more than welcome to it, if thats not too late. I think I promised it to Bourrin ages ago, I assume for this project, but real life got in the way.

God clearly got distracted half way and made parasitic wasps, because reasons.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Campaign Nov 28, 2014 07:32 AM (Total replies: 112)

I found that Halo 2 was the most interesting because unlike the majority of games released to day with is usually GOOD VS BAD HURR DURR, Halo 2 did a bit of perspective from both sides. And yeah, I know, in reality the Arbiter is portrayed as another 'good guy' and Tartarus/ Prophet of Truth are the 'bad guys' but it shook it up a little and I thought the insight was a welcome addition to the series - even if the execution was a bit all over the place.

I personally found Halo Reach somewhat uninspiring - for a 'character driven' story, none of the characters were particularly likeable or memorable, and also: plot holes galore. It was pretty much a "more epic" rehash of ODST, but without any of the atmosphere. I guess it just didn't tell the story I wanted to hear, which sounds awfully conceited when I put it like that, but I thought it was going to be a bit more explorative of the back story of the Spartan II's, but no, instead we got some weird extra additions to the canon that probably didn't need to be there. Shrug.

Edit:
I keep forgetting that Reach wasn't the most recent Halo release. This makes me feel old.
Edited by Diaboy on Nov 28, 2014 at 07:35 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Nov 27, 2014 06:44 PM (Total replies: 11479)

I'm glad I'm not the only one using CAD rather than illustrator... :P

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » About frame rates Jul 9, 2014 11:42 AM (Total replies: 10)

I almost always use 30fps because you get some strange visual artefacts on the other settings - Halo was pretty much designed to run at 30fps, and fair enough thats half the frame rate my monitor is capable of but I barely notice it. I can understand the logic for wanting higher rates though.

No worries! I remember getting the sounds to work was a bit of a pain, but didn't have any problems after the second attempt at installing the codec. I do seem to remember there being one for 64 bit, which might have been where I went wrong. I would offer to check my own but my computer died a couple of months ago.
EDIT
Had a hunt, sadly I think all the files are on the old hard drive, and I'm not in a position to access the files right now -However, I would suggest having a look and see if there is any disparity between the x64 and x86 codec. Hope that's some help.
Edited by Diaboy on Apr 2, 2014 at 05:28 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 2, 2014 05:22 PM (Total replies: 14974)

Quote: --- Original message by: bourrin33
@Diaboy do you still have that custom MA5k ? I'm quite interested in ingaming it as we need a replacement for CMT's which we had complain about style not fitting with the rest of bigass tagset.

Funny you should mention it, I am hoping to do the high poly in the next month or so (currently have a bloody horrible deadline at my work for next week) but I don't know if that fits in to your timescale? I have the old model but it has no UVs as of yet so I'd like to avoid putting that online if at all possible…!

Sorry, edit to be more clear - you can have the current version I have, but I will be upgrading it soon - just depends on when you need it.

I have also just remembered it is on my old hard drive, so I will need to work out some way of getting it off with the limited hardware I have here….
Edited by Diaboy on Apr 2, 2014 at 05:34 PM

I used the XBADPCM codec, but it didn't work the first time round I tried to install it and had to try it twice; might have just used a duff installer first attempt though. I'm assuming you have that installed already? It's what I used to get the xbox adpcm compile to work in tool.
Edited by Diaboy on Apr 1, 2014 at 07:12 PM

Is it possible to set it up as a device? Like a giant piece of animated scenery?

Edit
Hah, again, I am perhaps jumping ahead a bit much.
Edited by Diaboy on Apr 1, 2014 at 07:04 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » what dus this mean Apr 1, 2014 07:02 PM (Total replies: 33)

Quote: --- Original message by: Ki11erFTW
-There's nothing MS can force people to get to play it. No one will buy it if it's a w8 exclusive, even they must know that.

Well, their track record isn't exactly exemplary.

I can't help but get excited and misty eyed over this. I tried to dig out my copy of Halo 2, but then I remembered that someone stood on my limited edition case and scratched the disc whilst I was still at school… sadface.

Maybe jumping the gun a bit here, but have you guys had any thoughts as to how the Scarab encounter is going to work?
Edited by Diaboy on Apr 1, 2014 at 06:46 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Apr 1, 2014 06:26 PM (Total replies: 14974)

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Rig the part that opens, animate it and make the animation part of the firing animation.

Is that how it is on the default assault rifle? The stock MA5B's ejection port just looks like a little decal sprite that alternates between being open and being closed.

I did a little work on this a while back while trying to make ammo that disappeared in the SMG's magazine - its effectively just an animated sprite, as you say, which is pretty much hard coded into the tags to work as it does in the default weapons. I'm fairly certain you can toy about with it, but it's much more efficient than animating the model (I am assuming you are solely meaning third person here).

I did find that animated sprites tend to always draw at full 'brightness' like they are self illuminated, whether that was down to my own error or not I can't say, but if you want authenticity then it should be possible to animate a model based ejection in to the firing sequence.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Mar 25, 2014 07:32 PM (Total replies: 14974)

Bourrin, I settled for exactly the same combination of concepts for mine too, but I found that the foregrip with the 'lip' at the barrel end worked really well and made it look a bit more interesting - the bottom right drawing from Hannaford's concept sheet. Dunno if that's any use :)
Edited by Diaboy on Mar 25, 2014 at 07:37 PM

Maybe, maybe one day I will finish that MA5K. And put it in a map with all the other bloody weapons I drew.

I like this thread :3

No, no, definitely Abe.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Oct 9, 2013 10:59 PM (Total replies: 11479)

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to doing it in 3DS rather than in vector formats, like in Illustrator?

Edit
Just as an afterthought, I assume its the tools/modifiers available in max?
Edited by Diaboy on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo bootcamp modding Jun 17, 2013 11:06 AM (Total replies: 93)

Hasn't windows 8 been a bit of a flop thus far? Correct me if I'm wrong but they've been relying on OEM for pc manufacturers rather than people upgrading... And tbh I'd still rather buy Windows 7/XP if I was given the option. So I can understand the business incentives to release games for W8 only, but we know from experience how terribly that will go...

Halo CE General Discussion » Mysterious Halo 5 teaser trailer at E3 Jun 12, 2013 06:26 PM (Total replies: 144)

Meh, this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xasY1cb7bc plus Halo 3 trailer. There's also something deeply ungratifying I find about giant mechs. Not sure why, but I guess I can't expect everything to cater to my desires.

Time: Thu November 14, 2019 3:23 PM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website