A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: renegade343
About Contact
Last Post: Aug 20, 2016 11:30 AM
Interests: Halo, Design, Modeling, Map/Graphics/Concept Design, Flight, Medicine, Japan, Food, Travel etc.
Your Age: Old enough to drive without being caught by the cops.
What Games do you play: Halo, ... .... that's about it for serious games, I think.
CE3 Stage Modeler, Editor, and Writer

Post Statistics
renegade343 has contributed to 634 posts out of 464166 total posts (.14%) in 1,882 days (.34 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » CE3 2016 Live Aug 20, 2016 11:30 AM (Total replies: 395)

Quote: --- Original message by: BipolarAurora
CE3 2016 Live: A Stream to Call in Sick For

but really though

Halo CE General Discussion » The Trinity Map Pack UPDATE Aug 16, 2016 07:52 PM (Total replies: 424)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Not a fan of those cliffs to be honest, could you add a bit more variation both in the texture and the actual mesh?

Agreed.
Although the style kinda reminds me of the extinction days. Has a nostalgia feel to it.

Not sure if that's the *good* kind of nostalgia, though ._.

Halo CE General Discussion » CE3 2016 Live Aug 10, 2016 09:10 PM (Total replies: 395)

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Casual reminder: CE3 is in 10 days!

Also, the script is like 95% finished! (the only parts I don't have lines for are some of the projects that haven't made their way to Dratt, yet... y'all know who you are)

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
He's alive?

He's ALIVE?!

Dude I totally thought you had been stabbed in the neck by ghost face or something....glad to know that wasn't true!

Also welcome back.

Thank you ^^ Nope, no supernatural stab wounds here. (or at least, not this time)

Halo CE General Discussion » CE3 2016 Live Aug 7, 2016 04:13 PM (Total replies: 395)

Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD
Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
All remaining files, including all video presentations and any last minute singleplayer map files or tag files are due August 7th before the end of the day.

Guess what, I work on a 12 hour shedule today and tomorrow...So even if I want to upload the videos probably I wont do it anyway. And my crap pc doesnt work well with screen recorders, I get 10-15 fps and don even use the second core of the processor.

Is there any low-end screen recorder that uses multicore processors? (Not SMRecorder or Action!, ive alredy tried those)

If you're okay with demos, how do you feel about ZD Soft's recorder or Camtasia?

So. I F'd up and pulled an E3PO, and I would like to make a public apology for it.

If you know who I am and you get my reference, I'm really sorry, and I'm back from the dead. Please don't eat me.

If you don't know who I am, I'm the stage designer and writer for CE3. (I also co-hosted the 2013 show, made the models for '13/'14 and '15, and made a concept design that Jesse worked off of for this year's show) After Dratt and Bullet, M16, Kozakuu, and Bryan Cox the Epic Voice Guy, I'm the sixth man of the CE3 crew; the backstage handler, the guy behind the scenes. This and the fact that I haven't directly been a part of making any major projects is probably why you don't know me. So hiya, nice to meet you, I wish we could've met under different circumstances.

If you don't know what happened, I went AWOL from the internet last spring, when I needed to send Dratt a draft of the BSP for this year's stage. This happened for a lot of different reasons. Originally, I was originally being careless and was running behind the due date for the BSP model, so I did not think to notify Dratt about it asap, since I thought I could just let him know when I finish... ...spoiler alert, I was never able to finish it, for a lot of reasons beyond my control.

Personal problems after personal problems involving family, school, personal health, and a whole lot more made it incredibly difficult to find a time to get back on track with CE3-related commitments, use a working personal computer, and/or find working wifi hotspots. Next thing I know, Dratt drafted Jesse to use earlier designs I have sent to him before to create a new model that we will be using on this year's show, a fraction of the script had already been completed, and it's three months later and about three weeks before the show starts.

~~

so. with that said, I felt like I should say a couple of things, and be totally transparent about it.

To all CE3 crew, past and present (esp. Dratt, Slow Bullet, Kozakuu, R93 Sniper, and Jesse): I completely understand that I've dropped the ball in keeping up with my end of things, and I truly regret doing so. I've already reestablished regular contact with Dratt, and we're working on getting things speeding forward again. Also, Jesse, thank you for modeling this year's stage; it looks great, balanced, and honestly more polished than what I could've hoped for with my own hands. I'm sorry you had to jump in to create that under these conditions.

Yes this is the last CE3 so it's meaningless to say this, but I promise this will never happen again, if I get another opportunity to work with any of you in the future.

~~

I've already been in touch with Dratt, and I'm back in business. I've already recorded my five or so lines for this year, and I'm currently in the process of looking through the show's master script and some of the uploaded footages. I'm pretty much caught back up to speed, and I'm back to my usual capacity at this stage of production.

Again, I sincerely and publicly apologize to the rest of the CE3 crew (especially to Dratt and Jesse, who have had to cover for my losses), as well as the rest of the Custom Edition community and hopeful viewers of our event this year. I'll do my best to make up for this and do my part to make our last CE3 run smoothly and awesomely!

EDIT: removed R93's old name
Edited by renegade343 on Aug 6, 2016 at 10:18 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » CE3 question Jan 23, 2016 01:19 AM (Total replies: 18)

Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
Quote: --- Original message by: renegade343
Firefight Portent II (though that didn't exactly take off),

Shhh. We do not acknowledge the existence of said map around here anymore.

oh my b. ._.

Halo CE General Discussion » CE3 question Jan 21, 2016 05:23 PM (Total replies: 18)

Quote: --- Original message by: Blackfather117
Hello,

I was just wondering if CE3 has members that also contributed on all the wonderful maps we have here, or is that another piece off the cake.

Dratt (MattDratt) has contributed to several big-name projects for CE such as Lumoria, Takedown, and other smaller-scale projects, so there's that. He and Slow Bullet also pop up on Storm und Blackbird (SBB)'s YouTube channel every once in a while too.

R93 Sniper also releases tags regularly, and Kozakuu does help with visuals for Composition and SPV3, as well.

As for CE3 alums, I think E3PO did some work on external applications, and Rambo tried making some maps besides Blood Creek Campus? (don't quote me on that lol)

(...and I have a couple incomplete maps that I'd like to finish someday... don't forget about me you guys lel)

Most of us also help out with beta-testing for individual maps outside of the show, as well! -so there's that as well.

Edited by renegade343 on Jan 23, 2016 at 01:20 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicle exit markers? Jan 19, 2016 10:31 PM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
Sometimes i'll exit on top of it, sometimes i'll exit inside of it, and other times i'll exit far away from it on the left side. I'm starting to think it might have to do with collision... am I correct?

I'm helping to beta-test the map where Nick's having this problem, so maybe my comments might help.
I have a feeling it's collision-related, as well, since I keep exiting at different locations around the vehicle. If you were to draw a plot of where we spawn when we get out of the vehicle, though, it feels like it's skewed towards the front left side, relative to the seat in question (though it ultimately seems to vary based on the attitude and velocity of the vehicle at the moment you get off).

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Testrun Jan 6, 2016 01:57 PM (Total replies: 68)

Quote: --- Original message by: Pepzee
Quote: --- Digest of several users' comments
(insert tons of hate for Latino players)

So many Trump supporters here

I can see it already. "MAKE HALOMAPS GREAT AGAIN." Oh man...

Quote: --- Original message by: CaptainAltheros
I'll wipe all of these latinos with one ass whopping.

You're welcome, y'all :)

Edited by renegade343 on Jan 6, 2016 at 01:59 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
Quote: --- Original message by: Skidrow925
You know production is good when you spend the last 3 days working on takedown exclusively looking at spreadsheets

https://i.gyazo.com/9d3569866f86fae52b2cf76f3766c834.png

This would be the best post of the year if Unikraken didn't happen.

Unikraken? I never heard of such a thing. Are you telling me you guys were having fun while I was gone? That's not fair!

Take a look at this thread, and then this photo.
Edited by renegade343 on Dec 30, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! Dec 27, 2015 12:07 AM (Total replies: 12092)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337

Because I called him out on his crappy posting in this forum (mainly him invading other peoples threads with his work).

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Turrets on each of the pelican wings? :/
No more shade turrets? :(
AI in server rooms looks fun. :)

I seem to recall that in the TSC:E Post-Mortem articles Ifafudafi really disliked headshot mechanics in the game... As I was reading it I found myself agreeing with him, and TSC:E was the most fun I've had in a map in a very long time.
Did you have a counter-argument to his points? I might have missed something here.

All else seems pretty neat.

If you were to ask most people if they wanted a Halo that de-empahasized aiming and headshots, and focused on always having to use certain weapons to get past encounters and abandoned the sandbox nature of Halo... they'd probably think you were crazy. Which is the direction that they decided to go with TSC:E. Personally, I don't find it fun to play (...)

The selling points IMO of that map, are it's graphics, art, and the newness of the level itself, and not the gameplay. I personally think it would play better with the stock content, but unfortunately they have/had no plans to do so with it.

It's my opinion that Ifafudafi doesn't understand the subjectiveness of Halo's mechanics, as he is a very numbers oriented person. For him, things have to make sense on paper, in regards to the effective ranges, killtimes, damage multipliers and so on. Headshots mess that all up, as a headshot makes many enemies go down equally as fast [so he wanted to discourage that as much as he can].

But I don't feel that the killtimes on enemies in the sandbox in relation to the weapons and their roles is that important. I build the combat around the human weapons, and treat the Covenant weapons as tools for the player, with their own unique properties being useful for certain combat situations and enemies. (...)

Ifafudafi's approach on gameplay doesn't really factor in all the other complexities of combat that you can't put a number on, or things that are subjective. How hard is it to land headshots when you have X amount of enemies attacking you? How is a kill time effected by an Elites behavior? How differently is a players emotional state when fighting a brute vs an Elite? How is the dance of combat effected when a needler round now travels almost as fast as a plasma bolt? My opinion these things just have to "feel" right and there has to be one person who makes these subjective decisions, who has to be able to filter the feedback of his peers. (...)

Even though both parties would constantly butt heads over these things, it certainly helped SPV3, and it certainly helped Evolved. Pointing out the flaws in each others projects and discussing them has certainly made it's mark on SPV3, and I've seen the criticism from people who support the SPV3 way of thinking help correct some critical flaws in early Evolved builds. In the end, people will have to make up their mind early next year when they can play either project, and decide which philosophy on design they enjoy more.

Some parts of the quoted text by Masters were omitted for clarity and neutrality. -ren

So you seem to be substituting AIs, assets, and features for your upcoming release of TSCE rather than outright updating them and making Ifafudafi's version obsolete... are you planning on marketing your version of the map that way more, as we get closer to the release date?

From a marketing/PR point of view, I keep getting the vibe that the upcoming rehash of TSC:E is supposed to be an update that's meant to replace the release that was led by Ifafudafi, rather than an alternate interpretation. As someone who really likes backstage gossip or technical details behind what came together to make Halo projects a thing, knowing y'all's stories and seeing those two versions coming into fruition is really intriguing...

...but as an end user whose first impression of progress comes through trailers and HaloMaps posts, I feel like it's very confusing, if not outright misleading, with respect to the original Evolved team's intention versus yours.

I've been really perplexed about why y'all wanted to release TSC:E twice until now; as much as you've always been big on beta releases (see the failed SPV2 and the 2012? Truth and Reconciliation map. -btw, is it fair to call the TnR map SPV2.5, at this point?), this is the first time you're releasing stable, finalized versions of the same project -and that sounded really unnatural to me. I want to think I have a decent idea of where most crucial projects are headed as a CE3 crew member, but even with some insider knowledge, I never really understood what you were really trying to do until now... -and given how not everyone really follows what happens on developers' forums like here, I'm worried that far more people could be confused like I was, at release time, and ultimately not be able to appreciate the two different versions for what they really are.

Halo CE General Discussion » Incentivized Content Requests Dec 26, 2015 02:13 PM (Total replies: 29)

I'm just really curious, but are you keeping track of the statistics of all these content requests at all, by any chance?
(The types of requests made, types and percentages fulfilled, time it takes to be fulfilled, likelihood of getting the winning raffle ticket, etc)

Halo CE General Discussion » Best of 2015 Polls Dec 24, 2015 09:31 PM (Total replies: 37)

Just by briefly glancing at Dennis' HaloMaps Twitter account and looking at the map rejection notices, it looks like AT THE VERY LEAST (there's probably more) two or three rejected maps/assets for every one that's accepted.

*cough cough* Dennis, you know what's the actual rejection rate? I'm kinda curious now lol

Halo CE General Discussion » Best of 2015 Polls Dec 24, 2015 01:33 AM (Total replies: 37)

Quote: --- Original message by: Tucker933
Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
Quote: --- Original message by: supersonic124
I never understood why Halomaps updates in spurts instead of just auto updating like other modding sites. I get the whole quality control thing with making sure maps work, but I think people would rather have a few bad apples versus waiting nearly a whole year and having to search youtube/random sites to get new stuff. It seems very backwards and old fashioned.

It kinda hurts new maps too since most people/servers only get their content from here.

Let me know when you're paying for the hosting of a myriad of map files every month, and opening it up for gigabytes more of terrible maps that at most won't be worthwhile/work.
Great idea dude, sounds like you really thought that one through.

Delegation is a thing.

UXB (Dennis' website management company, AKA the contract we're all bound to when it comes to using HaloMaps) contractually only lets employees of his company operate the website... which includes the process of moderating forums and testing/approving all the maps.

And it seems like Dennis doesn't want any subordinates to help handle HaloMaps...(?)

Halo CE General Discussion » HUD - Works in Process thread [WIP] Dec 23, 2015 01:25 AM (Total replies: 1707)

I wonder why this thread didn't get stickied like the other WIP threads, though... o.o

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 1.5 Maps Nov 19, 2015 03:49 PM (Total replies: 65)

Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man
What sets [these maps] apart is that they were designed for high-level competitive play by skilled players. Special attention was paid to weapon spawn times and player spawn placement - things that are generally overlooked by this community, though no one can really be blamed.

Totally out of curiosity, what else (especially in terms of BSP design) do you think is important for a good competitive map?

Halo CE General Discussion » You may enjoy it. Jul 22, 2015 04:44 PM (Total replies: 17)

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
How in-depth a remake are we talking? Model swaps and retextures, new encounters and objectives, custom BSP segments?

Please? :D
(For example, something like this could be fun...?)
Edited by renegade343 on Jul 22, 2015 at 04:44 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: slashrat
It's really great to see people enjoying the pdf and video. I offer my own thanks to all of you for waiting so long for TSC:E, and for taking the time to read through all our thoughts and experiences. This postmortem is my closure for the project, and I'd like to think that (in addition to prompting a fair number of "oh I thought we were done" comments) it has also helped bring closure to the rest of the team. Good luck to everyone, and keep spreading the Word of TSC:E!

Before I begin, thank you for putting in so much time and for giving so much detail and attention to everything y'all have done (from your past projects to your thoughts on the postmortem essays). It was honestly inspiring and I really wish I was an actual journalist or something... I feel like y'all expressed the ideas and lessons you learned over the years more concisely, emotionally, and just flat-out better than a lot of textbooks and college lectures could hope to do; more people than just the Halo Custom Edition community (or hell, maybe more than game developers in general, maybe?) deserve to learn from you guys and appreciate what y'all came up with. Like seriously, thank you for everything.

This is something I've heard for the team as a whole, but not from a lot of the individual members... I understand you're done with CMT-related projects for good, but are you leaving the community for good, as well? Are y'all still thinking about coming back occasionally at least (i.e. -when CMT releases the rest of SPV3, when CE3 is on, etc), or will this pretty much be the last time we'll all hear from you all?
Edited by renegade343 on Jul 16, 2015 at 04:20 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » CE3 2015 Live Jul 13, 2015 10:06 AM (Total replies: 532)

Did anyone end up winning Bullet's Steam card prize?

Time: Sun August 20, 2017 5:10 PM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website