A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Xiao
About Contact
Last Post: Oct 23, 2013 11:35 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Keiichi-kun o mitsuketa.

Post Statistics
Xiao has contributed to 144 posts out of 469459 total posts (.03%) in 2,561 days (.06 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Halo 3 The Pit Oct 23, 2013 11:35 PM (Total replies: 515)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan_094
Quote: --- Original message by: Danger_zone_98
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan_094
Defeats the whole purpose of a CE port.

I've been gone for a while, dont understand the bandwagon for Cry Engine and its quite irritating.

Seems like the same user with several accounts.

Yeah I definitely have multiple with my join date being in Jan 2008. You have no idea who I am do you.

He probably does, but he also probably doesn't care.

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper

this is a well known fact. Late to the party are we?

Also, you spelled "Kirby" wrong in your signature, might wanna fix that

Edit:
@Xiao: I found out that if you invert the green channel of the Normal, pull it out, and overlay it onto the diffuse at 50%, you achieve results almost exactly the same as the longer process you stated above.

Proof:
Your Process (Done by me)
http://i44.tinypic.com/2mn5i14.jpg
Green Channel only
http://i41.tinypic.com/315h46c.jpg
Edited by R93_Sniper on Oct 21, 2013 at 04:10 PM

You can also take the red channel twice (one inverted, one not) and set it at a low transparency rate for overlaying as well (with the inclusion of the green channel already). Also remember to try to include the blue channel as multiply for darker edges, otherwise it looks way too white and bright. Yeah, I've noticed this before, but I didn't really try to use this method as I was used to the way I have done it before (which is the method I showed), so it doesn't really matter that much to me. Whichever one you like better.
Edited by Xiao on Oct 21, 2013 at 06:55 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Hardware Acceleration Oct 21, 2013 03:28 PM (Total replies: 8)

Update DirectX and post your system specs, including your graphics card and drivers details. It can quite possibly be that you also need to update your graphics drivers.

Halo CE General Discussion » Lag and High CPU Oct 19, 2013 11:16 PM (Total replies: 27)

22GB RAM is only possible with 2x8GB + 1x4GB + 1x2GB... Which is fail. Probably typo for 2 GB

Halo CE General Discussion » Lag and High CPU Oct 17, 2013 11:29 PM (Total replies: 27)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI

Run it in windowed mode, on 800x600, with everything to low or off.
Edited by Dumb AI on Oct 17, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Windowed mode requires more resources, actually. Run it in Full screen 800x600 with everything off/low.

Halo CE General Discussion » Lag and High CPU Oct 17, 2013 11:05 PM (Total replies: 27)

You have an integrated graphics card (not to mention a very old and slow CPU and a GPU made by Intel). Your best luck is to turn all graphics settings to the lowest and play on the minimum video settings. You need a new PC if you want anything better.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bastian27starscream's Halo 4 Tag Pack Realase! Oct 13, 2013 06:37 PM (Total replies: 45)

Quote: --- Original message by: Bastian27starscream
LOLIS.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 4: Custom Edition Project Oct 12, 2013 07:08 PM (Total replies: 73)

Quote: --- Original message by: savinpvtmike
is that halo 4's master chief model?

Yes it is. You've never made any of the biped models. It is rightfully 343's
Edited by Xiao on Oct 12, 2013 at 07:09 PM

Well in photoshop, go to the channels section, click on one of the 3 channels you want to invert, and just press Ctrl+I, it's that easy.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Oct 10, 2013 05:35 PM (Total replies: 8490)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dumb AI
Quote: --- Original message by: master noob
Quote: --- Original message by: Xiao
I swear the masterchief from halo 3 was made with a high poly model.

nope, but what I find really odd is that every armor permutation save for Hayabusa, Recon, and EOD had a high-poly.
also, I like the hayabusa's filename. heh, easter eggs.

I don't understand why Bungie named the Recon pieces mp_ninja.

Because the helmet resembles a ninja's clothing covering over his head. Google ninja and compare the head to the recon helmet.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Oct 10, 2013 05:33 PM (Total replies: 11479)

Quote: --- Original message by: OHunterO
Quote: --- Original message by: Diaboy

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to doing it in 3DS rather than in vector formats, like in Illustrator?

Edit
Just as an afterthought, I assume its the tools/modifiers available in max?
Edited by Diaboy on Oct 9, 2013 at 11:00 PM

Vector's are just as good as max I suppose. I think he just means using max to make a HUD instead of PhotoShop is better.

Photoshop < 3ds max < Vector software

Or you could just simply create the Photoshop image at a stupid resolution and then scale down which will give a similar effect as the 3ds max way.

Well, if you read Jesse's post, he did say that photoshop can achieve similar results with higher resolution, but it would take up too much memory and would be hard to operate when zoomed in.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Oct 9, 2013 11:00 PM (Total replies: 11479)

Vectors > 3ds max, so much easier.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Oct 9, 2013 03:50 PM (Total replies: 8490)

I swear the masterchief from halo 3 was made with a high poly model.

For fakebumping, or as I woud like to call failbumping, you need to invert the Green Channel of all the normal maps you use. Create two copies of the normal map, with both of the copies having the green channel inverted. Then, use one of the copy and invert it's Red channel, so you have two copies: 1 copy with red and green inverted, the other with only green inverted.

This is the original one:

These are the two with inverted green channels, and one of them has inverted red.

You want to use both normal maps for your fake bumping. In photoshop, Alt+Ctrl+Shift+B or Image->Adjustments->Black & White. Basically for both normal maps, make them black and white, applying the same settings that you use on each.

Start your Photoshop canvas with the diffuse bitmap. Then place one of the two normal maps on top of the layer, set the normal map's layer settings to Overlay, and then use "Black & White" to preview results. It should make the diffuse look fakebumped.
Play around with the settings, but keep the Blue slider at 0 and mainly manipulate the Cyan and Magenta sliders (the sliders above and below Blue). The rest of the sliders at the top you can leave at default values or just change them to 50. After you made the setting that you wanted, apply it to the first normal map, and use the exact same settings on the second normal map. Make sure both normal maps are in the photoshop window, layered on top of the diffuse and are set to Overlay. Then set the Fill of each normal map to 50%, so you are basically combining the two results into one (half of the results of one, half of the other).

Now copy the blue channel from any of the two normal maps and paste it onto the diffuse. Set this layer to Multiply and it should make some of the brighter edges on the diffuse look darker.

Blue Channel:

You can now either just collapse the layers and use the fakebumped diffuse so that you can actually use legit Detail Maps from the halo games (preferred), or you can use the method that you used and save the fakebump as a detail map (not preferred).

In the end the diffuse should look something like this:

Compare the one above to the original you posted:

The diffuse should not look overdone, so you need to play around with the black and white settings as I said to achieve the most perfect result you want.
With this fakebumped diffuse, you can now apply the detail scratches that halo reach actually uses instead of using the fakebump itself as a detail map.
Edited by Xiao on Oct 7, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Edited by Xiao on Oct 7, 2013 at 08:16 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Oct 7, 2013 07:33 PM (Total replies: 8490)

Quote: --- Original message by: master noob
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
You have to make a high-poly model and bake the Normals etc for a good model.

more than half the models in Halo 3 were made without a high-poly version. are you saying halo 3 is filled with bad models?
hint: yes

:O, any specifically distinct examples we are talking about here in terms of halo 3 models that were made without a high poly version?
Edited by Xiao on Oct 7, 2013 at 07:34 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Super Wacky Funtime 3: Guns of the Rippers Oct 4, 2013 08:10 PM (Total replies: 17)

EEEEEEIIRIIIIIINNNNNNNNN pls.

That's the wrong way to use fakebumping, and you forgot to flip the channels in the normal map if you wanted to fakebump. The details are inverted right now.

Halo CE General Discussion » Adjutant 3.2.0.0 - Release Sep 30, 2013 04:04 PM (Total replies: 834)

Quote: --- Original message by: The Doctor
I know, I have investigated. But... hey, is Gravemind! is almost a god of programming!

Ignorance.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] Halo 3 The Pit Sep 28, 2013 04:06 PM (Total replies: 515)

Quote: --- Original message by: SAS
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Quote: --- Original message by: SAS
Wait, what did you use to extract that bsp? Because whenever I use the bsp extractor from this site, it either exports as a blob of random faces or tilted 90 degrees on its side and riddled with errors.

I used the BSP exporter on this site. Make sure the OBJ model is set to not be flipped. I wasn't able to get the materials, but I didn't need them because I'm making my own better ones. I also had to flip a bunch of faces.

Really? I set the file to not be flipped and it still gave me this
http://i.imgur.com/0hsfImO.jpg

Importing obj models in newer versions of 3ds max often result in this.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Sep 20, 2013 11:50 PM (Total replies: 11479)

The transition from draw to firing seems a bit odd...

Time: Mon November 18, 2019 12:55 PM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website