A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: msalerno
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 28, 2017 04:12 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
msalerno has contributed to 27 posts out of 464813 total posts (.01%) in 1,805 days (.01 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » HAC2 map repo and Btcc22 Apr 28, 2017 04:12 PM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
That's literally just the page for the HMU/CE3 archive. It goes on for about like 50 pages. Good luck
(you don't have to)

lol - What mirror-image alien puts "<- Next Page" on the LEFT side of the page?

I have attempted to PM Slayer117 to try to get all CE3 hosted maps at once.

If anyone has any other leads, let me know.

I can't possibly download each map individually :) I already scripted something to pull the links from the first page, but even that would be painstaking for a lot of maps.

Edited by msalerno on Apr 28, 2017 at 04:25 PM

OK, so I pulled every map from haloce3.com, compared to the HAC2 repo, and put 104 maps into the repo.

I also put these up there as well: https://opencarnage.net/index.php?/topic/6735-gridlock-unfinished-map-by-english-mobster/

HAC2 repo is currently at 2985 total maps, 66.5GB of zip files.

Edited by msalerno on May 2, 2017 at 06:52 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » HAC2 map repo and Btcc22 Apr 28, 2017 03:11 PM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
http://ce.haloce3.com/

these maps (lul most suck though)

Done. Although, bloodgulch2_bk_v1 and desertgulch were already in there.

There was at least one single-player map in that list, but I copied it anyway just to have it.

For the record, these have been added:

(H5)Rat-Spartan
(H5)Rojos-Vs-Azules
(HR)Covenant-vs-flood
(HR)Emilie-Vs-Covenant
(HR)Noble1-vs-Covenant
(HR)Noble6-vs-flood
(HR)Survivor-Emile
(V2)EMILE-Vs-Covenant
2nd_dankest_christmas
Invasion_of_twins
JefeVsFlood
The_BloodGulch
americans_vs_deutsche
autumn_ship_defense
deltaruins_ai
grunts-vs-angry-floods
grunts-vs-elites
grunts-vs-marines
killer-gold
nitra_ai
?H4?Beavecreck

Let me know if there are any issues.

Halo CE General Discussion » HAC2 map repo and Btcc22 Apr 28, 2017 01:11 PM (Total replies: 5)

Has anyone heard from Btcc22 lately? His steam profile says he hasn't been on for 56 days.

I've been hosting the HAC2 map repo since November 2016, so if you need (or want) any maps uploaded, contact me on Steam - msalerno1965

Halo CE General Discussion » New Halo CE idea Apr 28, 2017 01:06 PM (Total replies: 8)

It's a great idea!

Using SAPP, or my as-yet-unreleased HSE®, the CPU load on a single dedicated server is minimal. Even a plain-stock dedicated server isn't all that much of a CPU load on today's machines.

Where are you located?

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] HAC 2 alpha/preview Apr 16, 2017 10:05 AM (Total replies: 256)

Quote: --- Original message by: bandinada5

yeah, i was having same problem before... i downloaded from http://blog.haloanticheat.com/ it won't save any preference you saved like custom chat, font size, etc...

but i fixed it, with replace the loader.dll file from my friend...

loader.dll shouldn't have anything to do with preferences. However, if downloads were broken, and it downloaded an updated HAC2, that might have solved it.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » What makes a flag, well, a flag? Jan 28, 2016 01:33 PM (Total replies: 4)

Thanks! Yes, it is useful information. I am looking at this from the server-side.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » What makes a flag, well, a flag? Jan 25, 2016 01:22 PM (Total replies: 4)

Ah, I see, said the blind man.

Thanks a bunch for the pointer!

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » What makes a flag, well, a flag? Jan 25, 2016 11:42 AM (Total replies: 4)

Trying to determine, from the server side, what makes an object a "flag".

And by that, I mean when a player is holding the flag. If I look at the tag associated with that object, it's a weapon. And the weapon label in the tag is 'f' (0x66).

But does that mean that all flags on all maps always have a weapon label of 'f'? Or is there some other magic thing somewhere that makes the weapon a "flag"?

That goes for skull ball too, which has a label of 'b' (0x62).

What triggers Halo to treat these objects the way it does?
Edited by msalerno on Jan 25, 2016 at 01:06 PM

And on top of that, how it reacts when it DOES lose connectivity to it's site.

It shouldn't crash the Halo client.

haloanticheat.com is back, and registered to the correct nameservers once again.

Btcc22 must have a long TTL (time to live) on his DNS records ;)

My DNS servers were still caching the bad entries.

Btcc22, you really need to keep it from crashing Halo completely if it can't talk to your servers.

On edit:

You may have to wait a while for the domain to come back, if your ISP is caching DNS entries. Even if Btcc22 doesn't have a long TTL on the domain records, ISPs can force caching for much longer.
Edited by msalerno on Dec 10, 2015 at 07:27 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Game won't even start Dec 10, 2015 07:58 AM (Total replies: 11)

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=48885

I'm not so sure it will come back in 24 hours, but we'll see.

His servers are still up, and answer on their IP addresses, but if the domain itself is gone, nothing works.

There is a Rube-Goldberg-type workaround that involves putting his hostnames and IP addresses in your local HOSTS file, but it doesn't help with map downloads. It only fixes the initial crash.

The Realworld® HAC2 map mirror fails to serve maps because it can't figure out what maps.haloanticheat.com is. I can probably work around that with an edit to the PHP script on the site, but that would only work for our mirror, and not the main HAC2 map download site. I think it has the same issue, it can't resolve it's only name within a PHP script.

Hopefully, this gets fixed quickly. I'm more than willing to make a go of it myself if I have to :)

(sigh again on the self-bump restriction)

Quote: --- Original message by: AlissArcana

Edit: I just realized, you guys are panicking over something that is easily fixed, by not having hac.dll in your temp folder ever. Oh well.
Edited by AlissArcana on Dec 9, 2015 at 09:08 PM

It's not just the initial crash, map downloads are also affected.

And it's not about me or any other player with a whit of sense that can make this work, it's the rest of the players who seem to have disappeared in the past 24 hours.
Edited by msalerno on Dec 9, 2015 at 09:24 PM

The HAC2 website is down, domain name haloanticheat.com seems to have expired.

This makes HAC2 crash Halo on startup. The "fix" for now is to copy hac.dll from your local temp folder, to the main directory where Halo is installed.

You can do this for now, to fix this:

Press the windows key, hold, and press "R" (Windows-R) - this will bring up the "Run" dialog.

For Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 10, enter:

%USERPROFILE%\appdata\local\temp

For Windows XP, enter:

%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\temp

This will open a window where you can find your copy of hac.dll

Right-click on the file, and select Copy

Then, Windows+R again.

For 64-bit versions of windows, enter this for Halo CE:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition

For 32-bit versions:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo Custom Edition

Another window will open with the contents of your Halo install directory.

Right-click anywhere in the file list, and select Paste

Windows will probably ask you if you want to do this with administrator privileges, say Yes

Once the file is copied into the Halo install directory, it will (should) no longer crash on startup if it cannot contact haloanticheat.com

If Btcc22 doesn't come up with a fix for this quickly, we at Realworld® will come up with a permanent fix for this. Stay tuned.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo CE Servers Gone? Dec 9, 2015 01:15 PM (Total replies: 12)

Some people have reported that the lobby isn't filling up completely. It does take some time, for me, but I do get up to around 1000+ players during the day.

Problem is, now, loader.dll (hac2's starting point) is crashing. I think Btcc22 has an issue somewhere.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons not where they should be Aug 23, 2015 01:29 PM (Total replies: 6)

I can't "self-bump" my own thread, where this topic was raised, even after weeks of waiting... so...

Quote: --- Original message by: stunt_man
Can anything be done about the fact that some weapons spawn slightly "off" from their positions, compared to LAN? For example, load up hangemhigh in LAN and go into "office" (little window area) and notice how the shotguns are centered. Then load it up on a dedicated server and notice how they've shifted closer to the wall.

I haven't forgotten this.

In the scenario, where are the weapons REALLY located? Where they appear to be in LAN, or where a dedicated server puts them?

Quote: --- Original message by: sehe
First of all, the definition of "code cave" has nothing to do with where the code cave itself is located. It is a small piece of code where you "transfer through" the execution from Halo to your own code then back to Halo (or vice-versa), hence the "cave". It is necessary to save the content of the registers and execute the original code that you replaced with the call/jmp. The CC itself can be hardcoded with the __asm keyword in your code, or can be in a small piece of allocated heap, it doesn't really change the definition. Usually the latter is used with automatic CC generation, such as M$'s detours library, which is less flexible, but useful if you don't want to bother with the asm part I mentioned above.

Gosh, really? (where the hell is my sarcastic emoticon when I need it)

Secondary, no one said we built/invented sth new with CCs, tho overall we indeed did for Halo, unlike you.

Don't be so self-centered, I was referring to whoever coined the term "codecave".

This method has been used for patching binaries for decades. It's nothing new.

And don't worry about hijacking your own thread, it's Halomaps, no one ever will come up with a decent idea (also since we kinda did everything that can be done in server side), perhaps you should just copy some of the core features of the existing server "tools".

Don't worry massa, if it's not implemented in SAPP, and not possible with LUA, it's never going to NEED implementing.

Got it.

This pretty much tells me how you have no clue about this topic.

I summon Btcc22, perhaps he can be bothered to explain.

Besides, Sapp's codecaves are read-only and AFAIK Phasor's too.
Edited by sehe on Aug 2, 2015 at 04:22 PM

You mean because I use a different definition of codecave, I don't know what I'm doing? If your definition of "codecave" is just an _asm block living in .text, well, then I use codecaves.

If your definition is a completely separate piece of code living in .data land somewhere, instead of .text where static code SHOULD be, well, then, we're at odds - but then, what else is new? Gandanur does this, for some reason. Just rechecked, and it does indeed leave code as RWE in data-land.

Just because I don't use the same term you do doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing - it just means YOU don't know what I'm doing

As an aside, I just checked a dump of SAPP 9 I made a few months back, and you do indeed jmp directly into SAPP .text area, so ignore my previous comments about writable memory for codecaves. Looking through Phasor's source code, it also seems to use straight jmps into .text.

Again, Gandanur allocates writable memory and dumps it's codecaves there, for some strange reason.

Using that definition of "codecave" I guess I've been using them a long time. 30 years ago, I used to hack my IBM-XT's bios, and used pretty much the same approach. Dump a JMP to a different location further up in unused space in the EPROM image, write my code there, and then jmp back. Did that with various software as well. Back then, we didn't call it a "codecave". We just called it a "patch".

Kids these days, thinking they built something new - lol

Quote: --- Original message by: Zetren
I'm pretty sure unauthorised modification of an exe is illegal, which is why mods rarely do it.

Usually, "reverse engineering" of a delivered product goes against the "Right to use" license on/in the box. It's not "illegal", it just breaks the license, and so you have no "right" to use it anymore.

Edited by msalerno on Aug 2, 2015 at 07:06 PM
Edited by msalerno on Aug 2, 2015 at 07:08 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
SAPP injects code into empty address spaces of the server executable.

No, actually, it doesn't. Strings.dll, which Haloceded loads with, but for some reason, doesn't really appear to use for anything, allows SAPP, Phasor, Gandanur and now UHMSO to modify strings.dll to load themselves as DLLs on demand.

Once loaded, they all modify EXISTING locations in the Halo executable to "hook" into the running code.

Codecaves are one way to achieve this, and those codecaves live in writable memory usually allocated by the server modification, not haloceded.exe - at least, in the case of Gandanur and Phasor. I haven't really researched what SAPP does, but they all seem to do the same thing, the same way.

Personally, I never understood the need for codecaves. A simple CALL/JMP FAR injected into the Halo executable does the same thing, and far more safely, as the destination is executable code, but NOT writable. Leaving code writable is never a good thing. Plus I never have to deal with copying all the code into those codecaves. While a CALL FAR is a few more bytes, implementing the extra bytes of overwritten code is a trivial matter.

The ONLY time you want writable+executable memory areas are when you have self-modifying code, and even then, it's better to write-protect it until you actually have to modify it.

Dang, hijacked my own thread.

Thanks, Dennis...

Quote: --- Original message by: NeXIt's so far behind, and lacking in just about every useful way imaginable.

Personally, if it never goes further than RW servers, I'm not really concerned.

This thread might do more to just get people talking than anything else, which is a good thing, regardless of my own personal interest in the subject matter

Time: Mon December 11, 2017 10:26 AM 359 ms.
A Halo Maps Website