A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: greg079
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 3, 2017 12:21 AM
Interests: gaming, chilling, and modding
Your Age: a number
What Games do you play: SKYRIM with mods
channeling my inner april fool

Post Statistics
greg079 has contributed to 687 posts out of 467274 total posts (.15%) in 1,965 days (.35 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Mar 3, 2017 12:21 AM (Total replies: 14969)

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Quote: --- Original message by: greg079
i agree that the 37 torch was bad, but that doesn't mean that referencing a bad is somehow less bad

It's not a component that's critical to the weapon's operation, and it's not a bayonet. It's better-protected than most other gun-mounted flashlights, and you're not going to be smacking people in the face with that end of the gun.

you don't know me
Edited by greg079 on Mar 3, 2017 at 12:23 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Mar 1, 2017 01:39 AM (Total replies: 14969)

sorry for late, i don't come here very often anymore. i'll try to remember to check back later.

i still feel the gun should at least be ambidextrous, you wouldn't want to make the gun ineffective for 90% of the population

i agree that the 37 torch was bad, but that doesn't mean that referencing a bad is somehow less bad

the locks would be small pins that slide into notches or holes in the sliding metal rod. they prevent the stock from sliding unintentionally.

5b safety was also bad

beefier (x and z axis) between the barrel and the gastube

both is preferred, but a height reduction would suffice

i didn't open the pix in a new tab, sorry for missing the rear anchor point

the bolt slot is very thin, this isn't a bad thing necessarily, its bad because you have metal plating that runs around and into into the slot for some reason

the actual bolt itself is just too small, you need to fatten up the bolt not the cover you put over it

i understand staying true to the original design, i really do, but it is still -profanity-

glad to hear that you'll fix the ejection port, that was the biggest issue

i'm pretty sure too, but the in-game ma37 did have a cover flap IIRC

yes the bit inside the circle, its not a major issue, but its worth fixing imo

glad i could help honestly. i wish more gamedevs cared about functional designs instead of "muh capitalist spacegun greebles".
Edited by greg079 on Mar 1, 2017 at 01:41 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Feb 24, 2017 07:58 PM (Total replies: 14969)

i got linked here, so i'll just copypasta my critique from earlier.

the side of the charging handle is easy to change on a bullpup, theres no reason to make it left handed instead of ambidextrous
flashlight should be more recessed to protect it
flashlights tend to break easily when you hit stuff with them
needs lock piston(s) on the adjustable stock
gun needs a safety/fire select
barrel-gastube connector should be widened
the front sling anchor is way too big, especially since there are no slings in halo
the gun also lacks a rear anchor for a sling, and one-point slings are very rare
the bolt carrier is obstructed
the bolt itself looks very thin and fragile
cheekrest looks super uncomfortable
the ejection port is not aligned with the barrel
if the visible portion of the ejection port is a port cover, then it lacks a hinge... if it isn't a cover, then those holes will catch a lot of dirt
the front of the chassis has a wide clearance around the barrel, reducing the spacing would lessen barrel movement
electronic display divider serves no obvious purpose, and would only increase the production cost and frailty of the unit
and overall greeblification is too damn high
Edited by greg079 on Feb 24, 2017 at 08:09 PM
Edited by greg079 on Feb 24, 2017 at 08:11 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Step in our place once more.. Jun 9, 2015 04:27 PM (Total replies: 55)

is my gif asian enough?

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online May 20, 2015 09:31 PM (Total replies: 2780)

Quote: --- Original message by: xnx
Who the hell would go through all that trouble to make false promises and spread rumors about a modded game? WHY?!

Quote: --- Original message by: sshers4

HO will be getting MMO? Mm weird.

http://i.imgur.com/JszjSyy.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/5q6goq2.png
Edited by sshers4 on May 19, 2015 at 10:30 AM

hmmm...

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicles - Works in Process thread [WIP] May 15, 2015 04:44 PM (Total replies: 4973)

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Does anyone recognize this?
http://puu.sh/hOt3y/e653c51f04.jpg

now i'm taking a shot in the dark, but i think i recognize that as a car

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] SOI's Tag dump Apr 28, 2015 11:43 AM (Total replies: 1142)

Quote: --- Original message by: Echo77
Unf, muh autocannons.

Is there a slot in the shield for the gunner to look through?

silly echo, thats what bullet magnetism and auto-aim are for.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Apr 28, 2015 11:42 AM (Total replies: 2780)

close the thread, ban the hivemind.

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Apr 24, 2015 03:15 PM (Total replies: 490)

Quote: --- Original message by: SpartanHex
then why show it?

Maybe to have some more feedback on what to improve? On whats really wrong? For people to point him the wrongs he haven't noticed? Even if he will remake everything this kind of info may be important.
Edited by SpartanHex on Apr 23, 2015 at 06:44 PM

i did, please read what i said before you make replies
few things i've noticed,
trees seem flat, make them more dense, look at other popular games for examples of performance friendly and quality trees.
textured look far too noisy to fit the classic forerunner theme.
those rocks don't blend together well at all.
shadow striping.
top of the bases is too round, reference classic forerunner art styles.
clouds are very lowres, consider moving overlapped cloud planes.
grass is all uniform height, width, and texture, and is far too sparse, look at nature.
ground grass normalmap texture doesn't seem to match the diffuse.
too many polygons used on very distant objects, save them for closer ones, like destructibles, players, or more vegetation.
water looks excessively flat and doesn't fade when shallow
not all objects seem to cast shadows, and shadow edges should blur the farther the shadow is from the caster.
fog range seems close considering how clear the sky looks.
obvious tiling.

consider refining existing content while creating new content. keep up the progress

Edited by greg079 on Apr 24, 2015 at 03:16 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Apr 23, 2015 05:59 PM (Total replies: 490)

Quote: --- Original message by: TheChunkierBean
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
I'd say redo the whole base entirely.

That the plan.

then why show it?

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Apr 22, 2015 03:36 AM (Total replies: 490)

Thanks Greg the Wise.

glad to help, but i'm sad to see some of the same issues i mention while i was on the team D: .

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Apr 21, 2015 08:55 PM (Total replies: 490)

http://i.imgur.com/1onHiDV.jpg

April Updates!

o Engineering for both gameplay and networking continues to move forward at a good pace.
o Camera mode added for the sake of taking sexy screenshots. (see below)
o Content creation battle plan in place.
o Still looking for more artists/highly skilled engineers
o We have a SubReddit (it's still being worked on)
o Spartan II armor model is being adjusted slightly to have more accurate proportions.
o Our website can be found at http://installation01.org/ expect to find something there soon.

More Screenshots (a work in progress, disregard bird poo trees):
http://i.imgur.com/bOsrw0G.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dBuGfrX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZSsBwKk.jpg

Those were all taken on our test map, it's basically a tech demonstration of the quality that will be applied to the classic maps we are remaking. I wanted to get you guys some shots of a spartan or two in the environment, but since the model got thrown back into the oven we didn't have a completed one handy.

Keep an eye on the Reddit and our website in order to be the first to know when release more updates :)
Edited by TheChunkierBean on Apr 21, 2015 at 03:14 PM

few things i've noticed,
trees seem flat, make them more dense, look at other popular games for examples of performance friendly and quality trees.
textured look far too noisy to fit the classic forerunner theme.
those rocks don't blend together well at all.
shadow striping.
top of the bases is too round, reference classic forerunner art styles.
clouds are very lowres, consider moving overlapped cloud planes.
grass is all uniform height, width, and texture, and is far too sparse, look at nature.
ground grass normalmap texture doesn't seem to match the diffuse.
too many polygons used on very distant objects, save them for closer ones, like destructibles, players, or more vegetation.
water looks excessively flat and doesn't fade when shallow
not all objects seem to cast shadows, and shadow edges should blur the farther the shadow is from the caster.
fog range seems close considering how clear the sky looks.
obvious tiling.

consider refining existing content while creating new content. keep up the progress

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Apr 20, 2015 07:11 PM (Total replies: 11475)

Quote: --- Original message by: Waffles
megasean, is that you?

Wtf are you on about?
Edited by Waffles on Apr 20, 2015 at 06:04 PM

the boxmaps, ah nostalgia.

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Apr 20, 2015 02:03 PM (Total replies: 11475)

Quote: --- Original message by: Waffles
http://i.imgur.com/E5Jb5J9.jpg
Edited by Waffles on Apr 18, 2015 at 03:12 PM

megasean, is that you?

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Apr 20, 2015 03:34 AM (Total replies: 2780)

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Its bad balancing when you can pick either 3 accurate shots at a reasonable rate of fire (BR), or a single, high damage, pinpoint accurate shot with a somewhat slower rate of fire (Carbine)

you literally just described the difference in the sandbox between UNSC and Covenant weapons.

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Apr 20, 2015 03:31 AM (Total replies: 490)

Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
Hey guys, just wondering. Why Unity above UE4?
I can assume it might have been due to the previous pricing scheme, but now it really makes more sense to go UE4 imo, especially for a shooter.

My recommendation: give it a whirl! I think you'll be glad you did in the end.

because w33dlord prefers unity. and because UE4 supports LoDs

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Apr 16, 2015 03:58 PM (Total replies: 490)

You guys upgraded to Unity 5?

YUP.

Yay PBR

I want to use PBR but we lack guys who can make those textures.

bean, no you don't, he's just busy. you should focus more on just having quality diff, spec, normals, and w33dLoDs for now.

mootjuh, unity's shaders are terrible and unoptimized, getting quality graphics as a whole in I01 will take a lot more than just PBR.
Edited by greg079 on Apr 16, 2015 at 03:59 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Apr 14, 2015 04:49 PM (Total replies: 490)

Working on wallpapers and banners.
Edited by TheChunkierBean on Apr 14, 2015 at 03:14 PM

why not work on those normals instead?

Halo CE General Discussion » |map] damnation delta Apr 12, 2015 02:23 PM (Total replies: 36)

imo, it'd be awesome for the structure's geometry have a Halo2 style, to match the textures. though not if it becomes detrimental to gameplay.

Halo CE General Discussion » Installation 01 (Halo Fan Game) Thread Apr 10, 2015 01:34 PM (Total replies: 490)

The reason the Spartan looks weird is because of the FOV and th angle that render was. It's fine.

be sure not to show work that isn't a proper indication of your current progress.

Time: Fri August 17, 2018 1:23 AM 406 ms.
A Halo Maps Website