A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: MosesofEgypt
About Contact
Last Post: Today @ 07:06 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
MosesofEgypt has contributed to 324 posts out of 463699 total posts (.07%) in 1,573 days (.21 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Today @ 07:06 PM (Total replies: 34)

Run the mek_installer and tell it to update. That'll fix it. If it doesnt, clear your python pip cache and run it again.

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Jul 19, 2017 05:39 PM (Total replies: 34)

I have no experience with virtual machines, but i dont see why not. Tbh I think you might just want to save yourself the hassle in the long run and try to debug the install problem if you haven't already. Maybe try redirecting it to install to your C drive root rather than appdata. It's what i did with mine.

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 19, 2017 01:46 PM (Total replies: 35)

No, you're baiting. If you're not convinced at this point then it's probably because you're trying to get people mad at you for your perceived ignorance/skepticism/lack of understanding. Don't be a child.

I will re-iterate:
"I could potentially implement texource into hboc, but I'd have to reorganize hboc's gui to add it in, and hboc's code is a mess that I don't want to deal with from before I had developed good coding practices."

Go take a look at hboc's code. It's not something i want to mess with anymore. I've tweaked it a bit here and there in the past, but I'm not gonna add another button to its already cluttered interface, edit the functions that process the settings, etc, etc. It's not worth my time. And as far as your quip about mozz, I was just talking with a friend about that.

Quote:
MosesofEgypt - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
my tools aren't so coheasive
now, i could understand if i had like, an editor for one type of tag
and an editor for another
instead of mozzarilla

Gabo7 - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
those two are about halo bitmaps though

MosesofEgypt - Yesterday at 7:12 PM
they're wanting me to roll all my tools into mozz

Gabo7 - Yesterday at 7:13 PM
oh
that's a no-no

Mozz is essentially a tool for editing and creating tags. It has some bitmap specific tools built into it for sure, but their function is still creating tags. There was a point that I was considering combining my converters into mozz and making a new "Conversions" menu, but I decided against it. It would have included functions where you could do things like turn tags to/from open sauce, models to/from gbxmodels, etc. I decided not to though as I didn't have the time to make a whole slew of converters and come up with a nice framework for it.

There's a thing called separation of concerns, and this applies here as well. At a certain point, you have to decide what belongs somewhere and what doesnt. If you don't, you get what Donut mentioned here:
Quote: The alternative is what you get with the old unreal editor, where you need to load the whole rendering engine just to access the script editor.

Or here where it talks about how bloated Destiny's editor was.
Quote:
Letís say a designer wants to go in and move a resource node two inches. They go into the editor. First they have to load their map overnight. It takes eight hours to input their map overnight. They get [into the office] in the morning. If their importer didnít fail, they open the map. It takes about 20 minutes to open. They go in and they move that node two feet. And then theyíd do a 15-20 minute compile. Just to do a half-second change.

http://gearnuke.com/destinys-game-engine-complete-mess-took-hours-just-half-second-change/

This is obviously an extreme example no where near the level my toolset is at, but the point remains.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 18, 2017 at 02:10 AM

Because there are different schools of thought for how to design programs, and I'm partial to the "One tool for one job" approach. I don't like the idea of bloating a program with a lot of things that you wont necessarily need at any one time. Even if it didn't cost a significant amount of resources to add it in, it would cost gui space, and I'd rather not add more buttons and menus than necessary. A way to possibly get around that would to better organize my programs functions into categorized dropdown menus, but that just means more things you have to go through to get to what you want. I could potentially implement texource into hboc, but I'd have to reorganize hboc's gui to add it in, and hboc's code is a mess that I don't want to deal with from before I had developed good coding practices.

This is more or less what I'm talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy#Origin

You say I've got a bloated program list, but I'd rather have that than a bloated program.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 17, 2017 at 07:09 PM

Yes, there is an alternative to the HEK+: Refinery. I'm the author of it, however there are unresolved issues fully ripping yelo maps. Regular maps rip and recompile perfectly, however I haven't been able to figure out what's causing open sauce maps to not perfectly rip. Something to do with animations from the error message.

You can find Refinery and everything else I've made for Halo here:
http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50247
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 17, 2017 at 10:50 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Jul 16, 2017 01:21 AM (Total replies: 34)

Refinery is updated with partial zteam tag deprotection. Click the deprotection button to start it. Currently it can de-mangle most of a maps tags, making them extractable. I'm not sure how the rest of the tags are referenced to where Halo can find everything it needs(even with mangled class fourcc's), but if I find out I'll be able to implement deprotecting most of the rest of the tags. There are certain types of tags that can't be deprotected though, such as tag_collection and ui_widget_collection tags. Since those types of tags aren't needed once in a map, the protection makes them irreparable.

I tested by deprotecting selentic's Revelations map, and it gets it about 80% deprotected. This zteam deprotection was helped and inspired by 002's work on Deathstar Deprotector. The main differences are that mine deprotects tiny bit more of the classes, prints info about what couldnt be deprotected, and can work with open sauce maps. Can't thank 002 enough for the help though. I wouldn't have put the effort into it if I had to figure it out myself with how much time it would have taken to figure out some of the more tricky parts.

All that said, I can't guarantee that the deprotection is bug free. If I typed an offset wrong, Refinery could be overwriting the wrong areas of the map. I haven't extensively tested it, so I'm very open to feedback right now. It should be relatively bug free though, since me typing in a wrong offset will usually result in a seek error that would have been caught while I was programming.

Re-download refinery from the MEK and run the upgrader.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 16, 2017 at 01:22 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
Extract the bitmaps (use texource by Moses of Egypt)

Actually, he should use my Halo Bitmap Optimizer and Converter(HBOC) as Texource extracts uncompressed source images, and there aren't any for the elites. HBOC can extract the compressed textures to dds and tga.

Hmm, the data prefix is getting screwed up. It's supposed to be data\elite torso.dds
Guess my old bad coding habits are cropping up again. I'll fix that when I can. It's supposed to put all the extracted bitmaps in a "data" folder next to your tags folder using the same folder path as the tag. It does this by finding the name of the root tags directory in the tag's filepath and just replacing that with "data". I guess it's also replacing the "\" for some reason. *shrug*.

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 6, 2017 08:32 PM (Total replies: 40)

That's the bug i was talking about. It's been fixed and uploaded to michelle's google drive for a few days. Matt needs to get around to updating the ce3 download with the one in the google drive. Anyone with that bug should just re-download from her google drive.

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 5, 2017 12:24 AM (Total replies: 40)

I'm aware. I'm not fixing any of the others. I'm leaving the rest up to austin. The only real bugs with this port exist in the Halo PC one as well(except the broken rendering of environment shaders on scenery), so I'm content with that. This was partially a test of Refinery, but also me wanting a port of the campaign for CE that had no gameplay bugs(and very few graphical ones). Matt, you might wanna replace the maps I specified earlier on the download page with the ones in michelle's google drive now.

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 3, 2017 07:45 PM (Total replies: 40)

UGH. I can't believe I shipped the maps with the borked glow tags. I fixed them, but I guess I overwrote them with bad ones before I compiled the final versions. Well, I've sent the REFIXED maps to michelle to re-upload. Matt, you might want to update a50, b30, b40, and c40 with the ones in michelle's google drive when she has them updated. Just check the date on them I guess.

As for the other stuff, I'll just leave it to austin to improve on my port and fix those things, since they're things he's fixed already/intending to fix.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 3, 2017 at 08:23 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Tagset Redux Jul 3, 2017 01:53 PM (Total replies: 24)

I can't tell, but are you using any uncompressed source bitmaps extracted with TeXource? You can get them for almost all of the weapons, vehicles, and the player bipeds.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50041

Your diffuse maps wont have compression artifacts if you use them as 32bit color, or you can at least minimize them by saving them as dds with photoshop and turning them directly into tags with mozz.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 3, 2017 at 01:54 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 2, 2017 11:30 AM (Total replies: 40)

Well, it's not bugged anymore. Just redownload it from the google drive. I hex edited the mas to change the bitmap format so it ignores the alpha.

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 1, 2017 09:29 PM (Total replies: 40)

Yeah, like half of the lifepod was transparent, making it look like an ugly mess. I fixed it by opening a10 and a30 in a hex editor and changing the format of the texture from a8r8g8b8 to x8r8g8b8. Literally just had to change one byte in each map from 0x0b to 0x0a. Michelle uploaded the fixed ones to her google drive(replacing the bad ones), so if anyone downloaded them before, grab the fixed ones. I'd like you guys to try the campaign out and let me know about any more issues like this.

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 1, 2017 02:46 AM (Total replies: 40)

So apparently one of my texture tweaks amplified a bug that bungie never caught. The lifepod's atmosphere-entry texture for the hull has an alpha channel, which causes parts of it to be transparent. This is actually pretty bad since the metal hull shouldnt be transparent at all lol. The original texture in the official game is compressed with dxt1, making it a black/white alpha channel. The transparent parts in it are limited to the absolute darkest pixels, which isn't much.

When I used the uncompressed texture though, it ended up amplifying the issue cause now it's not limited to the darkest spots being transparent; most of the friggen lifepod is transparent. Oh well. I figured there might be some stupid bugs i couldn't predict when I decided to use the uncompressed original textures. I'll try to get around to fixing it soon.

Here's what the textures look like. Just imagine the left as greyscale(dont have photoshop on this pc), compared to the dxt1 on the right.

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jun 27, 2017 12:30 PM (Total replies: 40)

Well if anyone is willing to host them, i can send them over skype or discord. It's 824MB with everything compressed. I aint got dat much dropbox room. Also, for anyone wanting the tags, just rip with refinery. That's how i got them. I can pretty much guarantee refinery rips perfectly at this point. Not so sure about OS maps tho, cause i have been missing fields in them in the past and i never tested ripping and recompiling one.

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jun 26, 2017 01:36 PM (Total replies: 40)

Copy + pasted his list here and sorted it based on what my port fixes. He can certainly improve on mine, but remember, I did this in roughly one day. Proper extraction is the key. If he wants, he's welcome to use Refinery to extract the campaign maps I uploaded, fix the things I didn't(and that issue with the shader_environment tags in fog), and uploaded a "Perfectly Refined" version.

Fixed:

Fixed AI grenade throwing. AI couldnít throw grenades because of corrupt throw velocity values for actor_variants (thanks to various people, such as Masterz1337, for providing info on this, as well as estimate values for the velocities).
Addressed Sentinel shields so they arenít constantly visible on Sentinels that donít have shields at all. Though I think, due to some issue with the modifications Gearbox made to CEís engine, I canít seem to get the shields to appear only when damaged.
Fixed an issue with health packs on A10 (Pillar of Autumn) and D40 (The Maw) that were on the ground when they were suppose to be on the wall.
Fixed some encounters, so they work properly, such as the first encounter on a50 (Truth and Reconciliation).

Fixed several instances of missing multipurpose maps and shaders, such as for the Assault Rifle and Halo ring (thanks to Bungie for the original assets and to various community members for bringing them to Custom Edition).
Fixed several lightning effects, such as those found in C20 (The Library) and the Monitorís lightning tendril.
Attempt to fully fix the sentinel shield problem.
Fix the Longsword missing its multipurpose map.

Not fixed:

Fixed a couple of instances of objects having incorrect impact materials.
Fix graphical issues with glass on B40 (Assault on the Control Room) and C40 (Two Betrayals).
Fix the missing shield flare for the Master Chiefís shields when recharging.
Fixed fog in the exterior areas of B40, so that it looks just like what can be found on the Xbox.
Fix issues with fog on several levels.
Fix Cortana not changing colors in Haloís Control Center.
Address issues with Jackal and stationary shields. Because of the rendering engine for Halo on PC, these issues canít truly be fixed. Jackal shields are now colored based on rank, and both those and stationary shields have a damage shader (I originally used CMTís Jackal Shields, but, switched to the Lumoria shields. Thanks to TM mapping team for those. Also, thanks to SOI7 for the damage shader for the stationary shields).
Fix the off-center elevation markers inside the Sniper Rifle scope, and modify the Sniper Rifle scope overlay to look more like the Xbox version (namely, saying 10x, as opposed to 8x, for the 2nd level of zoom).
Fix the issue with the shuttle bay door on A50 missing its off shader.
NOTE: There never was an off shader. Xbox used a shader_transparent_generic for the shield and used
the position of the door as a 3 second long function to slowly fade the shader to fully transparent.
Look here to see what I mean: http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o630/MosesofEgypt/shield%20shader_zpsvavaf3aq.png~original

Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jul 3, 2017 at 07:48 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jun 26, 2017 12:21 AM (Total replies: 40)

So it's been bothering me that we've never had a port of the campaign to Halo Custom Edition that wasn't broken in some significant way that we could fix(missing multipurpose maps, broken cutscenes, broken scripts, no biped shadows, etc). I took some time today to fix this. As of this moment they are all uploaded to halomaps and are awaiting dennis's approval, but Michelle also uploaded them to her google drive too, so here:

DOWNLOADS
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1LjERLq599jbXV3YUZLT0JoRTQ

Due to how the ui needs these maps to be named to load them(a10, b30, etc) that is still how they are named. Dennis, I know you have a thing against duplicate map names in the downloads, but it can't be helped here. I've at least prefixed the zip files with "Mo's Refined", so maybe use that for the download name and keep the actual XX0.map files named how they are.

Here are a few things to note about my conversion:

• All tags were ripped from the Halo PC campaign using Refinery, and I am quite certain
    it rips perfectly(I played the entire campaign through on Normal to test it).

• Pistol and Plasma Rifle have had their projectile error cone FIXED in accordance with
    Ifafudafi's information in this post:
    http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?25537-HALO-EXPOSED-Hardly-Lebel-Multiplayer-Designer-Starts-a-Blog&p=655013&viewfull=1#post655013.

• ALL missing multipurpose maps have been restored.

• Most diffuse and multipurpose bitmaps for the cyborg, vehicles, and weapons have been
    replaced with 32bit versions extracted from the tags that shipped with the HEK.
    This means the textures are the highest quality you'll ever see them, though it does
    bump each maps size up by 30MB-50MB(cause they are higher quality AND they aren't
    stored in the bitmaps.map anymore).

• Some scenery objects use shader_environment tags, and Halo CE does not render them
    properly in fog. Halo PC does, but they broke this when making Custom Edition.
    This can be seen by looking at one of the large human barricades in a10 near the start.
    It's in a dark and foggy room, and it's tinted almost completely white(the fog color).
    Nothing I can do about this without making new, different shaders(and I'm NOT doing
    that for everything).

• Biped shadows DO appear, and any other bugs that you might've encountered while
    extracting with HEK+ are not present.

For reference, this is a list of every multipurpose bitmap from Halo PC that has solid black in its red, green, blue, and alpha channels(meaning it's empty):

levels\a10\bitmaps\obj-chair multi.bitmap
levels\a10\bitmaps\obj-tech rack multi.bitmap
levels\a30\devices\torpedo_bridge\bitmaps\metal flat generic bridge_multi.bitmap
levels\a30\devices\torpedo_bridge\bitmaps\metal strips narrow bridge_multi.bitmap
levels\a50\devices\light_ceiling\bitmaps\light fixture metal multi.bitmap
levels\c20\devices\door_mainshaft\bitmaps\door_mainshaft multi.bitmap
powerups\assault rifle ammo\bitmaps\ar ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\flamethrower ammo\bitmaps\flamethrower ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\healthpack\bitmaps\healthpack_multi.bitmap
powerups\pistol ammo\bitmaps\p ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\rocket launcher ammo\bitmaps\rocket launcher ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\shotgun ammo\bitmaps\sg ammo multipurpose.bitmap
powerups\sniper rifle ammo\bitmaps\sr ammo multipurpose.bitmap
scenery\baton\bitmaps\baton multi.bitmap
scenery\c_uplink\bitmaps\c_uplink_multi.bitmap
scenery\captain_implant\bitmaps\nastyimplant_multi.bitmap
scenery\cutscene_small_rock\bitmaps\smallrock multi.bitmap
scenery\halo\bitmaps\halo inner ring multi.bitmap
scenery\halo\bitmaps\halo outer ring multi.bitmap
scenery\index\bitmaps\index_multi.bitmap
scenery\lockpick\bitmaps\lockpick multi.bitmap
vehicles\fighterbomber\bitmaps\fighterbomber-multi.bitmap
weapons\assault rifle\fp\bitmaps\assault rifle multipurpose.bitmap
weapons\assault rifle\fp\bitmaps\display multipurpose.bitmap
weapons\flag\fp\bitmaps\flag fp multipurpose.bitmap

I figured out which ones were bad by extracting all the tags, and running a small script to check the tags. The script scanned for bitmaps with "multi" in their name, and checked if the pixel data was all black. For restoring these, I extracted the uncompressed multipurpose maps from the tags that shipped with the HEK in a similar way to how TeXource works. For the others, I extracted them from xbox maps with Refinery and used my Halo Bitmap Optimizer to convert them to PC. After converting to PC, I kept them as 32bit so more compression artifacts aren't introduced from decompressing dxt1/3/5, swapping channels, and recompressing.

NOTE: Because the flag is not in ANY of the campaign maps, its fixed multi isn't in any of these maps.

So yeah, essentially this is as good a port of the campaign as we can get for Halo CE, with enhanced fidelity on the most important textures to help make up for some of the things we can't make work.

Here's some pics to show you things that have had their multi's restored, textures that have been replaced with uncompressed versions, the shader_environment bug I'm talking about, and some Johnson butt grabbing.

Yes, I realize the screenshot was pasted wrong. I'm too lazy to fix it.

Have fun.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Jun 27, 2017 at 04:54 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Guerilla Font Jun 24, 2017 08:18 PM (Total replies: 11)

Honestly R93, I think he might be learning. He's posted twice on this thread and both are actually of reasonable length lol.

Time: Sun July 23, 2017 8:29 PM 532 ms.
A Halo Maps Website