A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: MosesofEgypt
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 13, 2018 03:49 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
MosesofEgypt has contributed to 493 posts out of 468070 total posts (.11%) in 2,058 days (.24 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Reach Tagset Released! Nov 13, 2018 03:49 AM (Total replies: 20)

A certain someone(that is not me) is actually working on a script to convert adjutant model format(AMF) files directly into gbxmodels. Not naming names. Might hear about it soon. And fyi, adjutant can rip these models from more or less all later halo titles to amf files.

Halo CE General Discussion » OBJ to JMS converter Nov 5, 2018 10:47 PM (Total replies: 9)

The error says what you need to know. Export the model with vertex normals, not smoothing groups. Also export it as triangles. Quads and ngons are not supported.

Halo CE General Discussion » OBJ to JMS converter Nov 5, 2018 09:00 PM (Total replies: 9)

Also, I recommend you disable optimization for bsps if the compiled bsp doesn't turn out right(apparently tool doesn't like optimized portal geometry).

Halo CE General Discussion » OBJ to JMS converter Nov 5, 2018 08:44 PM (Total replies: 9)

It's in the "compile tag" menu of mozz in version 1.3.6 and higher.

It's not through pool because it's a compiler I wrote myself. Mozz can compile models, bitmaps, strings, hud_message_text, and physics. It cannot compile sounds, animations, collision, or bsps.

Halo CE General Discussion » OBJ to JMS converter Nov 5, 2018 06:40 PM (Total replies: 9)

Mozzarilla has a model compiler. It can load jms/obj files and optimize them on load. From there you can tell it to either compile a gbxmodel, or spit the models back out as jms files. Be warned though, some shader symbols don't work in obj files, so you might need to open the jms files in notepad and add them back.

You can get Mozzarilla in the MEK or MEKE. Hth

If you are playing PAL Halo it's going to have different physics than NTSC and PC. The PAL version is not true to the original game. If you don't understand what I just said, look it up.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Any Stock Tags Lying Around? Oct 15, 2018 02:47 PM (Total replies: 9)

Tool doesn't lie.

I literally just took the base and refined tagsets you can download from our discord and did the following:

• Ran fixes\make_merged_tagset.py to auto-merge the numbered fixes into a "merged_refined_tagset" folder.

• Copied fixes\missing_multipurpose_fixes\32bit into "merged_refined_tagset"(replacing files)

• Copied enhancements\highres_rasterizer_bitmaps into "merged_refined_tagset"(replacing files)

• Copied enhancements\jesse's_high_resolution_halo_hud into "merged_refined_tagset"(replacing files)

• Copied enhancements\uncompressed_bitmaps into "merged_refined_tagset"(replacing files)

• Copied "merged_refined_tagset" over the base tagset

• Copied bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map out of the custom edition\maps folder into the maps folder of where I'll be building ui.map

• Ran tool "build-cache-file levels\ui\ui "

That's all. All the make_merged_tagset.py does by the way, is paste the numbered tagsets together in alphabetical order(overwriting tags), starting from lowest numbered to highest. 00 is copied, then 01, then 02, etc.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Oct 16, 2018 at 04:09 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Any Stock Tags Lying Around? Oct 15, 2018 03:07 AM (Total replies: 9)

No, they dont, and they never will. Those maps I named off are the ones that come in the custom edition maps folder by default. You need those maps to even run custom edition. You have to have them.

ALL VERSIONS OF TOOL look in those maps first before they add bitmaps and/or sounds to a map. If tool can find the bitmap/sound it's about to add, in the resource map, it wont add it, and will instead just reference the copy in the resource map. If you don't have them, you WILL bloat any map you have tool compile. I am not explaining this further, as it should be pretty obvious and I've explained enough.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Any Stock Tags Lying Around? Oct 14, 2018 09:40 PM (Total replies: 9)

It sounds like you dont have bitmaps.map, sounds.map, and loc.map included in your maps folder you're trying to build the ui in. If you don't, tool is going to try and put ALL the tags and their data in the ui, which wont fit. The ui.map has a much smaller max size than other maps.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Any Stock Tags Lying Around? Oct 14, 2018 04:29 PM (Total replies: 9)

You can compile the ui scenario in the base tagset we supply just fine. If you opened and saved the ui scenario in os guerilla, it won't compile in regular tool anymore.

Also, we were not and are not intending to update the pc exclusive maps to work with the tagset. If we were, we'd need to consider other things, like the new weapons and vehicles, which is not part of the goal of the refined project. So death island and others will continue to lack scenery replacements for the teleporter shields.

Additionally, the glass and water flickering is not a tagset issue, it's an issue with your computer's hardware(they are both water shaders by the way). Most of us have it appear just fine, but a select few have them flicker for some reason. The only difference is each person's hardware.

The tagset can be combined in whatever way you want to get whatever fixes you want. That's the entire reason it's in pieces. Pick what you want and use it, and be mindful of the order they need to be applied. If you don't want the teleporter shield replacement, go into the sotr fixes and remove the shader that nulls it out, then combine them together.

tl; dr those aren't tagset issues(or at least issues that we are going to fix).

Halo CE General Discussion » it's a thing. Halo CE 60 FPS Oct 9, 2018 04:52 AM (Total replies: 108)

I think Neil is forgetting that the word "Custom" is half of the game's subtitle.

Halo CE General Discussion » Recorded_animation script error Sep 8, 2018 03:53 AM (Total replies: 6)

Refinery gives you the option to rename all duplicates when extracting scenarios. It's in the settings. I made that option specifically to allow recompiling scripts.

First off, if you extracted the tags with anything other than refinery, they won't have been extracted perfectly right. Refinery also generates uncompressed vertices in the bsp tags when it extracts, which sapien needs since it doesn't use the compressed ones.

Secondly, you can't just load a bunch of xbox tags into sapien and expect them to work. You'll need to run my model to gbxmodel converter since sapien works with gbxmodels and not models. You'll also need to run the bitmap converter built into mozzarilla to convert the entire folder of bitmaps from xbox format into pc format. You'll need to run the converter again to turn them back when you're ready to build an xbox map though. This includes changing them from swizzled to un-swizzled(which is reported in part of the error message you provided). Finally, you should be able to not only load the map in sapien, but actually compile it and play it in halo custom edition. I've done this with the b30 xbox demo. The pause menu wont work since it's built for xbox, the generic transparent shaders wont render, and lots of bitmap related things wont be right without manual conversions(like hud element meters), but it'll be fully playable.

Oh also, if you want to recompile scripts, I believe you'll need to check a setting in refinery to make it rename duplicate objects when it extracts the scenario, otherwise it wont be able to determine which object to reference in the script.

If you need a copy of the MEK(the collection you can download these tools in) you can get it here.
https://discord.gg/H8HnGaV
If you have any questions or run into any bugs, you can report them to me there as well.
Edited by MosesofEgypt on Aug 31, 2018 at 02:48 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » b!gt!ts map release- bigass variant. Aug 22, 2018 05:26 AM (Total replies: 19)

Your mod is not of good quality. Take the constructive criticism these modders are giving you. You are being too sensitive.

You work too hard for this community, Dennis. Thanks for continuing to try and take care of this old place.

Refinery has the same tool as mozz when viewing bitmaps in it, so it can also extract from maps.

Also, mozzarilla will require you to click the "Tag set" dropdown in the menubar and select "OS v4" if you want to work with the current open sauce stuff. Mozz supports both open sauce and vanilla halo tags, so this is how to switch between them.

Halo CE General Discussion » Model and Animation Import/Exporters Jul 12, 2018 03:11 PM (Total replies: 2)

Use the gbxmodel importer and animation importer in the MEK.

https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mek/src/default/scripts/?at=default

They're the same as the newest versions of the bluestreak ones, except they have several fixes to them, and the model importer can import xbox models too.

If you want notes in general, I've started writing some whitepapers on everything I know about the game, though they are woefully incomplete compared to what I actually know about the structure definitions.
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/mek/src/default/notes/

If you want the actual structure definitions, you can find my python versions here:
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/reclaimer/src/default/hek/defs/

If you want those in a format without macros, you can download the MEK and run this:
https://bitbucket.org/Moses_of_Egypt/reclaimer/src/default/tag_definition_extractor.py

The reason I'm providing my things to you rather than kornman's is because I don't know if he has explicit struct definitions like you might expect, and there don't seem to be definitions for every tag type(though I may just suck at searching the repo). The open sauce repository is here if you can scrounge what you need from it:
https://github.com/smx-smx/open-sauce

Halo CE General Discussion » My Halo Dropbox folder Jun 10, 2018 05:20 PM (Total replies: 5)

No idea. Havent even tried playing it myself.

Time: Tue November 20, 2018 9:39 AM 235 ms.
A Halo Maps Website