A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Donut
About Contact
Last Post: Jan 23, 2016 12:12 PM
Interests:
Your Age: i survived the french revolution
What Games do you play: all of them. every single one, every single day
minorities need not apply

Post Statistics
Donut has contributed to 5895 posts out of 464604 total posts (1.27%) in 4,013 days (1.47 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Smoke Screen Map Protector Jan 23, 2016 12:12 PM (Total replies: 120)

So hey guys, been a while since I posted here. Moses linked me to the thread.

I started lurking in this community around 2005, and became pretty active in 2006. For those unfamiliar, I used to work with a team called Sigma1337. Silly name, I know. We used to get into these heated battles with other mapping teams, trying to produce better stuff than them and guard our secrets. Figured I'd chime in on the protection discussion.

Looking back, the thing I regret most is how competitive and secretive we all were. We made enemies with people over who was making the best Halo 3 content. It was ridiculous. If I could go back and change one thing, it would be sharing new tricks and techniques with the community. The content would have been better, and everyone could have enjoyed it as a cohesive whole. Instead, we fragmented our stuff into a bunch of different, incomplete maps that never got played.

Certain people used to leak betas just to make other people angry, but nobody ever actually played the betas. Even if someone did rip something from the map, it never did more than end up in a Blood Gluch variant that nobody ever saw or played anyway. The whole ripping thing was, and still is, a non-issue. I wish we would have seen that back then when the community was more active.

Also, for what its worth: HDoan, Masters, anyone else I've ever been a jerk to in the past about this stuff, I'm sorry.

^confirmed. It's not asking too much to request that you give credit to the people who made all that stuff you put into your map, is it? It is the product of someone else's hard work after all, especially in moses' case (he does everything by hand, and bounces his progress off of me for cirtique). It makes me feel good to see the community using my stuff, and I certainly appreciate it when people say "Thanks bro!". I'm sure most other people feel the same way, especially if your map is as successful as you said in the first post.

Donut checking in for the first time in like, 2 years. This is the same Moses that used to work in Sigma with me. Verifying the legitimacy of this tool.

Halo CE General Discussion » Dance Map Music Jun 5, 2011 09:26 PM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: iHalo

Benassi Bros. feat. Dhany - Hit My Heart (Sfaction Mix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-3kxSBlYIY

? This it?

EDIT: Yeah, this is it
Edited by iHalo on Jun 5, 2011 at 09:11 PM

oh awesome, thanks

Halo CE General Discussion » Dance Map Music Jun 5, 2011 09:04 PM (Total replies: 6)

that is not the music i was talking about. youd have to play the map to hear it, since i dont have any videos on hand. but yeah, no its not that song.
E: found a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgBBdjItFn8 im particularly interested in the first song.
Edited by Donut on Jun 5, 2011 at 09:08 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Dance Map Music Jun 5, 2011 07:52 PM (Total replies: 6)

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3181
this map has several songs that play in the background. does anybody know what they are?

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Feb 15, 2011 06:06 PM (Total replies: 14960)

its a simple concept, friends. ranking animators just creates unnecessary drama and tension. we dont need any more of that

did i tell you not to be an internet tough guy? all i recall doing is pointing it out, which, BTW, is nowhere near as bad as continually threatening people with violence.

YOU on the other hand DID tell me im just as bad as hunter, and yet by that logic so are you for pointing it out. but that whole concept demonizes everyone. yes, we are in front of screens, have anonymity (for the most part), and thus we are much more likely say things we wouldnt normally say face to face with somebody. that still doesnt excuse calling out and threatening specific people with violence.

im just trying to make a point here. i see way too much of this, and tbh its getting old. youre an awesome modeler hunter, and i respect you for that, but the attitude got old in 2009.
Edited by Donut on Sep 23, 2010 at 05:07 PM

UNLEASH THE BEAST
Quote: --- Original message by: anonymous_2009
Snarky comments? Nah, that's the way I choose to talk(type). Got a problem with it...At the end of the day none of you actually know me, its all assumptions of what you see me say on ONLINE forums.

Yes, you chose to type in a way that causes arguments, and even if thats not how you act outside of the internet, when you CONSISTENTLY act that way when youre on the internet, its logical to draw a conclusion. basically, theres a reason you chose to act the way you do, and it PROBABLY has something to do with internal issues. basic psychology.

Tbqh, if this was not a forum and it was us in real life then grunt and other people would be recovering from some broken bones lmao.

hey thats awesome, you just told us we know nothing about you, and yet im pretty sure this is like the 7th time iv seen you threaten kids on the internet. refer to what i said before, specifically internal issues.

And that guy who made the video is just EXTREMELY sad to actually save quotes and save other information about me, its rather scary at how sad he is. In my personal opinion he should get some mental help for that.

i pretty much agree with the rest of your post from this point on. it was just that first "internet tough guy" part that i found ridiculous.

The word of Donut...

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Sep 22, 2010 06:05 PM (Total replies: 14960)

yeah mooks see right up at the top where i posted? i suggested somebody post a diagram to assist with rail modeling. then aglion posted the picture i was referring to, +rep to you buddy. but apparently posting helpful pictures to assist modelers is universally interpreted as an invitation to flame.

every post besides mine at the top of this page and aglions with the pictures can be ignored.

Halo CE General Discussion » OMG HELP AGAIN! Sep 20, 2010 10:36 PM (Total replies: 45)

the gamestops around here dont carry pc games.... weird.... im pretty sure i saw a copy a couple months ago when i went to target though. theyre definitely still out there. you just have to look around a bit

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Sep 20, 2010 10:33 PM (Total replies: 14960)

does anybody have that picture that was posted around a while back that has all of the measurements of picatinny rails? i keep forgetting to save it when i see it :(

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Sep 19, 2010 05:44 PM (Total replies: 14960)

aside from general boxiness in some areas (reflex sight, screws, the parts that are rounded where the screws go) its pretty good. are you considering a career in this field? because i dont think youd have a problem getting hired

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Sep 2, 2010 09:22 PM (Total replies: 14960)

Quote: --- Original message by: Sergeant 1337
I'd appreciate tips from other modelers though. Like how to do certain stuff.

Quote: --- Original message by: Sergeant 1337And please stop telling me to watch tutorials. They're dumb and they never have what I need. I'd rather get to the point.

read the post you just made. thats just ridiculous there.
typically when people make tutorials, its because theyre good at what they do. i cannot tell you how many cool little tricks i have picked up from watching tutorials from other modelers. all i can see here is you either lack the patience or focus to watch a tutorial and follow along with it. if you want tips from other modelers, youre going to have to either hold an area meeting for all 3d modelers in your immediate area of residence in a big meeting hall somewhere, and have them talk to you about modeling, OR go on the internet and watch some tutorials.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo in unity 3D Sep 2, 2010 05:30 PM (Total replies: 61)

just a tip, do not EVER apply a mesh physics collider to something like a biped that moves. unity will do all that math for the collisions out for every triangle for every frame. for a friend of mine it dropped his frame rate from 300 to 8. be careful with your physics colliders. also as far as shaders go, the "free" version of unity that they made available to developers lacks some of the nicer shader sets like reflection.

unity 3 is supposed to be coming out very shortly. has anybody else seen the lighting system they have? it is incredible.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo in unity 3D Sep 1, 2010 10:23 PM (Total replies: 61)

unity isnt 3rd party. a bunch of developers are using unity for game development. theres a reason it costs like 1700 bucks for the full version.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Reach Discussion Aug 26, 2010 08:32 PM (Total replies: 1379)

yeah hi, some people play games for the story line. when you give away spoilers, you ruin the "oshi" factor of the game.

if you know whats going to happen, it ruins the atmosphere of the game. why ruin the game for other people?

Halo CE General Discussion » Ultra Noob question Aug 26, 2010 08:28 PM (Total replies: 5)

sorry man, theres pretty much nothing you can do about it. if you decompile, remove the sounds, and recompile like geared said, your map will have a different checksum than the map the server is running, and thus you will not be able to connect to the server with your modified map.

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Aug 26, 2010 08:25 PM (Total replies: 14960)

Quote: --- Original message by: ASP_GRUNTS
Quote: --- Original message by: UnevenElefant5
I figured I could aford to have those curvy edges since the gun was pretty low detail for the most part, and I just did a chamferbox because it was easier and more effective than doing it manually.

Most of those curvy edges will do you no good. Good use of smooth groups can make it look fine without having 10+sided cylinders for anything round.

depends on how close to the viewer the object is, AND it depends on if youre looking at the object's silhouette too. in this case, youre mainly looking at the curvature of the cylinder you used for the metal part on top, so if you model it in high poly then render normal maps, you can give the impression of a MUCH smoother bar with like 1/3 the sides.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Tag] CMT BR with shotgun. Aug 25, 2010 04:30 PM (Total replies: 37)

really guys dont ruin this thread too.

as for the tag, im curious what it looks like. you should always at least post pictures (preferably a video too) when releasing content. i dont have my HEK installed anymore, or i would compile this and play with it.
E: or wait is it just the CMT br that shoots shotgun rounds instead of grenades?
Edited by Donut on Aug 25, 2010 at 04:31 PM

Time: Sun September 24, 2017 7:05 PM 469 ms.
A Halo Maps Website