A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Bungie LLC
About Contact
Last Post: Today @ 12:30 PM
Interests: creative writing, theoretical physics - quantum mechanics
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
friendly neighborhood contrarian funposter
Email: {hidden}

Post Statistics
Bungie LLC has contributed to 459 posts out of 463689 total posts (.10%) in 1,303 days (.35 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

What version of Halo are you playing on, and what other third-party injectors/applications are you using?

Halo CE General Discussion » Semi-Official Gallery [WIPS] Today @ 10:58 AM (Total replies: 11346)

There was also a guy developing a version that works in SP. Can't remember who the user's name was, but the rockets were guided by AI, if I remember correctly.

Something I'd like to point out that I've noticed after using this for over a week: antenna tags, like those on the back of the warthog, seem to behave strangely. When viewed while in motion, when antennas animate, it's as if they've had a stereoscopic effect applied over them. They are very distorted and behave strangely.

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 21, 2017 06:39 PM (Total replies: 34)

Not a big surprise, considering he's used the official Halomaps twitter to make embarrassing, politically-charged comments before in the past.

Halo CE General Discussion » :3 Waffles' WIP/RELEASE thread Jul 21, 2017 02:57 PM (Total replies: 1078)

Glad to see you've returned after so long and are still doing things with the game, to some degree.

Have you considered doing any more of your ports from later games, like the skyboxes, characters, and those few devices from h2 / h3? Did you ever update any of your old releases? I believe I have a handful of things backed up somewhere in my mediafire account.

Or are you solely focused on things related to the original Halo for the time being?

I can certainly say with confidence that you have made some of the best looking ports from later Halo games I've ever seen surface on this forum, despite their age. The shaders and rigging were always fantastic right out of the box. I, personally, would kill to see some more of that.

Right, because all of this works on the basis that all the things moving in the actual game scene are [obj]ect tag classes, and if I'm understanding this correctly, chimera's interpolation feature works by updating an object's position more frequently in between the game's tickrate.

Considering he does figure out how first person elements are implemented in the game runtime, 002 would probably have to create a whole new system solely for FP's interpolation since it probably doesn't deal with [obj]s.

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 6, 2017 09:28 PM (Total replies: 40)

Quote: --- Original message by: Imouto

tfw i make a post yesterday about how waffles is dead 5good and he comes back today and posts

i-is weeaboo magic real

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Tagset Redux Jul 5, 2017 11:37 PM (Total replies: 24)

Really? I know that there's the monochrome format and "heightmap" bitmap type in the tag, each of which seem to deal with textures that deal with shader-related "depth," but I'm pretty sure these are xbox only formats and are deprecated on PC versions.

>that interpolation feature

i hope the madman gets it working in fp. i'd nut for days

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Tagset Redux Jul 5, 2017 10:40 PM (Total replies: 24)

I don't really trust those h2 animations that have been floating around, because all I know about them is that they've been in the possession of some of the killer5000-type posters around here, and that they have a reputation for being really rough around the edges, or outright broken. Unless, of course, you got them from the source, which is Mootjuh or Kirby themselves.

But, if you could get them cleaned up and in seamless working order for CE, I'd be very interested in using them. I'll download the set and have a look at them, I suppose.

EDIT: also, how do you deal with the bump maps in h2? aren't they, like, monochrome by default? how do you get them into a more "contemporary" normal/bump map format?
Edited by Bungie LLC on Jul 5, 2017 at 10:45 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Tagset Redux Jul 5, 2017 06:35 PM (Total replies: 24)

To be honest, my favorite ODST design from the series was actually the Halo 2 iteration. Not sure why, perhaps it's the more subtle and simplified overall look of them.

Anyway, why the visor color change from it's original white to blue? Was that done in wake of the Halo 2 Anniversary design?

I was approached on Steam and told to have a look at this thread here, which gave me a straightforward enough answer for my purposes.

http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=49482

This, and the other replies have been helpful, and I can say that my problem's pretty much been solved. Hopefully, for anyone who may have the same questions down the line, this thread will provide the right answers.

Halo CE General Discussion » I have returned Jul 5, 2017 05:27 PM (Total replies: 73)

i just want waffles back. hasn't logged into steam in like 80 days

rip

Hi.

I'll make this quick. I'm working on OS shaders for several of the zteam h3 assets using content extracted with Adjutant. For all of the h3 weapons, and a handful of other assets, I've isolated all of the bump maps, as well as the specular lighting maps from the diffuse alpha channels, which I'm using as both the normal maps and specular highlight maps in the OS shaders, respectively.

Everything's pretty straightforward until I get down to the final portion of the shader model extensions, "Specular Lighting."

How do I determine what values I should use for my lighting coefficient and exponent? All the examples I've ever seen (including the evolved tags) have values that are all over the place, and are generally inconsistent, and the guidelines I've seen discussed in previous threads are vague and don't provide me with anything concrete to go off of.

help pls ty
Edited by Bungie LLC on Jul 2, 2017 at 12:34 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 2, 2017 11:36 AM (Total replies: 40)

As for your fog issues on scenery which improperly use shader_environments, I believe there's a flag you can check which will fix the issue, one that is shared by all of the "shdr" tag classes, if I'm not mistaken.

I'm pretty sure that back in the day, when dealing with large set-pieces in the form of scenery (like large frigates in the sky for instance), I'd check a flag in the shader_model tag which eliminated the strange masking of the shader by the overall fog color, and I believe that flag was "true atmospheric fog."

Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Could you name the issues you've had with the hek+? It'd really help me if i knew what to look out for. I have no doubt there will be bugs for a while, so any that you know of with hek+ will be ones i should specifically try to avoid.

Aside from the more specific examples already brought up, for me, the issues HEK+ presents are a little more trivial and hard to pinpoint.

Most .model_animations for custom assets (mostly vehicles, in my experience) break often and are not properly handled on extraction, unlike most vanilla assets which seemingly extract without much issue, aside from the scorpion, of course, but that's already been mentioned. A few examples I know of off the top of my head would be things like most of the assets from the old SPV2 tagset release .map file, the animations for the old coldsnap bipedal mechs, and I believe the falcon from bigass also has broken animations and turning values when extracted with HEK+.

I know that, for example, firing effects for weapons always have their marker references misplaced upon extraction. For a while, I thought this was an issue of the .gbxmodel marker references breaking upon extraction with the HEK+, but in actuality, in the weapon's firing effect tag, despite having primary trigger, ejection, etc. present within the .effect's markers block, they are improperly referenced in the actual effect section, and always seem to default to the first marker in the index block (which is usually primary trigger), instead of the properly referenced marker in the original tag.

This is why you get the issue of bullet casings flying out of the primary trigger of a weapon upon extraction with HEK+.

It's these kind of inconsistent and trivial issues that are scattered around the HEK+ that just completely dissuade me from using it whenever possible.

Halo CE General Discussion » Wondering... May 24, 2017 07:48 PM (Total replies: 17)

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
HAC2 is terribly made software that adds superfluous features and crashes if it can't connect to its update server, preventing you from starting Halo. Outside of increasing the BSP poly limit akin to OS it's all gimmicks, poorly peced together.

also

engine upgrades > "muh map downloads, m-muh server bookmarks"

Halo CE General Discussion » Wondering... May 24, 2017 11:45 AM (Total replies: 17)

(rip fireyscythe)

At last, a replacement for the HEK+ with added OpenSauce support is finally scheduled for release after all these years.

I had hopes that FireyScythe would push more updates back when OS 4.0 made it's debut in 2015, including his own cache file extractor that was to be integrated into the OpenSauce IDE (the general framework of which is still present, I believe), but it seems that after TSC:E was over with and done, so was further development with 4.0.

Regardless, seriously looking forward to this. I hope you're able to smooth out all of the various problems with the original HEK+ and it's ilk when handling tags.

Halo CE General Discussion » Money Apr 24, 2017 11:53 PM (Total replies: 121)

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Much more has been written. Do you read books? If so, how long is the average book you read?

Do you believe online forums to be the appropriate place for text-based discourse rivaling the length of books, fool?

Are you not humble enough to remain succinct? Have you not considered that you may receive a better reception from members of this forum if you were not so shamelessly grandiloquent, and more to the point?

Time: Sun July 23, 2017 12:32 PM 422 ms.
A Halo Maps Website