A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Dante
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 17, 2014 10:03 AM
Interests: 2D-3D design
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Dante has contributed to 28 posts out of 463344 total posts (.01%) in 1,208 days (.02 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: greg079
later, i started making highpoly, and then lowpoly, character sculpts for I01. as with before, i'll be showing some of my work
http://i.imgur.com/b2nlSg7.png
http://i.imgur.com/hiZ1QZ6.png
once again, for characters, i'm trying to maintain a classic look. the images shown are the highpoly sculpts, and we are in the process of creating armor, and other assets.
Edited by greg079 on Nov 16, 2014 at 04:55 PM

A common mistake made with character creation is that details and other things are planned and implemented way too early. Proportions are what come first, always. Once everything is in proportion, then details go on, as well as any 3rd party elements (such as armor).

Here's a great example of fan-made high-poly grunt work. Note the proportions: LINK

The flood is closer to completion technically, make sure that the tentacles are way thinner though.

Keep going, there's a classic vibe to be felt from these, which is cool, because classic is cool.

***Didn't see the other page that this had been posted mostly, but leaving this here anyway!
Edited by Dante on Nov 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Lumoria easter eggs Nov 13, 2014 06:25 PM (Total replies: 27)

Boxxy

Quote: --- Original message by: Infinite Guardian
Quote: --- Original message by: Valentin
Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
I'm sorry but since when do you speak like that?

Are you new to the internet?

Was it Burial Mounds?

Halo CE General Discussion » Project-Contingency (Fan made Halo Game) Nov 1, 2014 01:17 PM (Total replies: 382)

Quote: --- Original message by: stryking
Addressing what you said about Master Noob, first off i don't have Zbrush so i can't start from a high poly sculpt or plop it in and add detail willy nilly, secondly i haven't reached the stage yet where i am going to bake the model, texture and create normal maps, his is a finalized model, mine is still a work in progress.

But yes thanks for the input.

When I said sculpt, I should have said subdivided model. You have 3ds max I take it? Sub-d willy nilly with that.

Halo CE General Discussion » Project-Contingency (Fan made Halo Game) Oct 31, 2014 11:24 PM (Total replies: 382)

SO blocky. Needs a ton of work, but is off to a good start.

Why the stripes?

**To elaborate (inb4 tl;dr):

The model is suffering from the same problems as the other human assets; it looks like somewhere along modeling, you reached a point where you went "Uh oh, what do I do now?" We've all been there, some of these hiccups are easier to get through than others, but one I've learned NOT to do if I've reached this point is to 'Select Faces' > 'Inset' > 'Extrude.' This isn't a very clever way to get more detail, and it certainly doesn't showcase the artist's true potential.

Next, I'd like to bring up as to why you're going the low-poly route? There really isn't a reason not to sculpt high-poly hard surface details first and work your way down. This will 99.99% of the time work better (some exceptions I can think of are rounder objects) than building a low poly and UVing some normals onto it. In a game like this, a current-gen game, and one that has such a monumentally strong visual appeal in so many places, high-poly has to be the way to go. It just has to be.

I can't really explain it more than that. Look at masternoob's renders. His materials and bitmaps, specifically normals, are fantastic. That's because he knows how to bake high-poly meshes down. This isn't really aimed at your Pelican specifically, but rather a lot of what I've seen outside of MN's Covenant work pertaining to this project. The detail that you're missing out on is teeth-grinding (in a good way, because I know there's so much more you can show us, even if 3D-work isn't your intended career path as it is mine). This is something you should be aiming for ... [Thread].

I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here at all, everything I say is intended to be constructive to some degree. If the head developers are absolutely okay with the model then there isn't anything I can do. I will still try the game at least should it finish completion.
Edited by Dante on Nov 1, 2014 at 01:40 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Project-Contingency (Fan made Halo Game) Oct 31, 2014 05:43 PM (Total replies: 382)

Quote: --- Original message by: sshers4
Quote: --- Original message by: Dante
Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Inclusion of an editing kit, as it stands right now, is something we're not even going to bother ourselves with. Reason being that cryengine has a very odd way of handling everything when it comes down to maps, moreso than CE. If the slightest thing is different you wont be able to join and the difference as well is that weapons aren't map specific, they're game specific. The amount of work needed to get that to work is beyond what we're currently worrying to look into.

So no we won't be able to edit stuff other than maybe make new maps.

An alternative, assuming that the game can be updated over time with new content, could be a fun community contest to get their maps made. Winners and the runner-ups can have their meshes compiled by the devs and added to the newest iteration.

In the end, I have no idea how Cryengine works or if this is possible.

Cry engine 3 is fun to use but end of the day you need a new kick ass PC.

What does that have to do with my post?

Halo CE General Discussion » Project-Contingency (Fan made Halo Game) Oct 31, 2014 04:13 PM (Total replies: 382)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Inclusion of an editing kit, as it stands right now, is something we're not even going to bother ourselves with. Reason being that cryengine has a very odd way of handling everything when it comes down to maps, moreso than CE. If the slightest thing is different you wont be able to join and the difference as well is that weapons aren't map specific, they're game specific. The amount of work needed to get that to work is beyond what we're currently worrying to look into.

So no we won't be able to edit stuff other than maybe make new maps.

An alternative, assuming that the game can be updated over time with new content, could be a fun community contest to get their maps made. Winners and the runner-ups can have their meshes compiled by the devs and added to the newest iteration.

In the end, I have no idea how Cryengine works or if this is possible.

Halo CE General Discussion » Project-Contingency (Fan made Halo Game) Oct 30, 2014 07:53 PM (Total replies: 382)

This team could really pull together and make something amazing, and certainly could leave an impression that could get Halo back on PC. I had the chance to work on this back in May as an environment artist (my username is D. Emile on your forums) and I chose not to continue because I don't agree with the game's target gameplay model. In communication with one of the head devs, I never got a straight answer as to why you guys were pursuing the 32v32 model, and when I asked if the original arena types were being considered (2v2,4v4,8v8), I got a "no." Is this still the case.

At present, Master Noob is far and away the best artist on the team. Covenant and organic stuff is great. Everything else just doesn't compare in terms of quality, model, you name it. Beginning with the Assault Rifle and the Battle Rifle, everything looks slapped together for the sake of detail. It's not even a good kind of greeble, a lot of the insets, extrusions, and bevels are just a mess. It doesn't look like it would've taken long to do at all. You can bake normals onto it all you want in hopes that it looks better, at the end of the day the models are still bad. That's also not what a 7.62mm round looks like.

I have more to say, but I'm short on time. I'll edit my post later with more stuff.

BASICALLY, Covenant stuff is way overshadowing UNSC stuff. It's Cryengine, take advantage of more detail.

Halo CE General Discussion » Thinking about future halo..... Oct 22, 2014 12:27 PM (Total replies: 23)

You can probably expect a myriad of Halo spin-off games after the Reclaimer Saga. I think a likely arc to explore would be early Human-Covenant contact (imagine an FPS taking place on Harvest or some other significant world). Plus, there are theories going around that Halo 5: Guardians is aptly named so that they can release another Halo 5: XXX game to drag out the longevity of the Reclaimer Saga and delay Halo 6. Microsoft will milk this thing, but hopefully 343 will be tasteful about it.

Halo CE General Discussion » What's the skill you want to learn the most? Oct 22, 2014 12:18 PM (Total replies: 62)

There are plenty of free tutorials out there on YouTube if you don't have the cash for digitaltutors. I've personally found some users who were loads better than what DT had to offer, though you may have to dig around for a while. I assure you though, they're there.

Halo CE General Discussion » 343i including Extra mission in halo 3 Oct 21, 2014 11:09 PM (Total replies: 91)

Absolutely nothing definitive here, it's likely just the epilogue.

Halo CE General Discussion » Sky test map Oct 21, 2014 12:56 AM (Total replies: 8)

The Halo and the planet need to be faded a tad; it doesn't look like there's much of an atmosphere currently.

Aside, the Halo looks fantastic though.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo: Composition Oct 20, 2014 05:05 PM (Total replies: 391)

There are definitely rips in this. Tastefully

Halo CE General Discussion » What's the skill you want to learn the most? Oct 20, 2014 02:42 PM (Total replies: 62)

If you want to better yourself and are interested in literally having to go absolutely no where to watch someone (and have enough resolve to sit through the session without distraction) teach you how to better those skills, that opportunity sounds excellent IMO. Plus chatting with the teacher etc. Think of it this way, why do people go to class? No one's making them. It all depends on the initiative taken by the individual; you miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Edited by Dante on Oct 20, 2014 at 02:43 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » What's the skill you want to learn the most? Oct 20, 2014 02:06 PM (Total replies: 62)

Learning how to texture. I'm decent, but nothing I would ever settle on using.

It would be amazing if some people took the time to make some kind of twitch/etc streams to showcase their talent and help others learn, that's how I got better at modeling besides tons of practice. Ex: XXX's modeling workshop

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Xbox maps Oct 11, 2014 10:10 AM (Total replies: 11)

I have all of the Xbox maps if those are still needed for CE3's XMF Matthew

Halo CE General Discussion » CE3 2014 Live Jul 22, 2014 11:55 AM (Total replies: 854)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan_234
I was hoping the spv3 interview would be.... longer.

You can't be too picky with 17 minutes

Halo CE General Discussion » Vindication Jul 21, 2014 02:43 AM (Total replies: 89)

*NONSENSE ABOVE ASIDE*

Not a whole lot going on in this thread, kind of seems like you got excited by the CE3 buzz that you couldn't wait to post this. Presentation aside, the Spartan concept in the last image is the best thing IMO.
Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/208920529/ma4d_by_justinpyne-d7dxzfs.png.jpg
Edited by MEGASEAN2812 on Jul 19, 2014 at 08:15 PM

This thing is all over the place. I'll start with the foregrip. Lose that part of the base it's hanging from and shift it upward, it shouldn't be farther down than the handle. Second, the gun would favor more with a bullpup approach than what you have going on. Right now, it seems like a BR you're trying to pass off as an SMG. Third, 2-shot burst fire? Even for the sake of trying to make it not like the BR, 3-shot burst is more common AFAIK and IMO is still the better choice.

If a small yet effective rifle is what you're going for, I'd say try to reimagine one of the more forgotten weapons (MA5K). That would fill the niche I think you want your gun to fill.

Or go for something different: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ezXfXwVkn3k/TTCm7mM-DfI/AAAAAAAAACA/bwMmBST5sgI/s1600/ih_odst01+b.jpg

Overall, nothing too substantial here. Best of luck on the progress though!
Edited by Dante on Jul 21, 2014 at 02:44 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo: Composition Jul 20, 2014 01:42 AM (Total replies: 391)

Quote: --- Original message by: sshers4
I saw MOA in the video I was hoping to see the blindwolf.

I'm sure they're right at home on Installation 03 ;)

Time: Sun June 25, 2017 3:08 PM 312 ms.
A Halo Maps Website