A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 21, 2019 04:54 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 818 posts out of 468431 total posts (.17%) in 1,751 days (.47 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

If you haven't figured it out already, just install the MEK wherever.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo: The Master Chief Collection Coming to PC Mar 19, 2019 03:43 PM (Total replies: 50)

I really, really want to be wrong. I would much rather be wrong and everyone remind me of it than to be right. But I know what Microsoft does, and releasing Halo for PC with an unlocked editing kit is NOT what Microsoft does.

The way the story goes, the only reason we got Halo Custom Edition is because Gearbox Studios promised their fans an editing kit. But Microsoft wanted the game to fit on a single CD, and neither Bungie nor Microsoft would agree to support an editing kit release due to the hassle. So Gearbox studios ported another version of the 1.04 engine, upgraded the netcode and improved shader rendering times, and released it as a free add-on alongside the editing kit, outside of any support from Microsoft or Bungie. They also hosted this download on their own servers, which in 2004 is a bigger deal than it is today.

They didn't get additional compensation from Microsoft or Bungie for this version, outside of any increase to sales. We owe Gearbox a huge thank you. Hopefully we can say the same about Microsoft soon, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 19, 2019 at 04:08 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo: The Master Chief Collection Coming to PC Mar 19, 2019 03:02 PM (Total replies: 50)

So they confirm there won't be modding support at release, confirm that it's not a focus, and state their priority lies in Security / Anti-Cheating.

So there won't be a modkit at launch, there's no confirmation on if one will ever be made, and they care more about preventing modding then supporting it. But hey, at least their good "friends" at ElDewrito (that they forced to shutdown) are going to somehow provide them with information they don't already know about their game. Because the reverse engineering ElDewrito did on the Halo Online client is applicable to releasing an already made editing kit for 5 different versions of the game engine, even though ElDewrito has never touched those editing kits. ElDewrito will be able to provide Microsoft with tons of information about their games and editing tools that they never knew about, ushering in a new era of Halo. Clearly that's not just a namedrop.

He can't even use the phrase Official Mod Support. He had to use quotes.

Quote: --- Original message by: The Kingx
They just announced that the game will be available for Windows 7

This, however, interests me greatly.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 19, 2019 at 03:03 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: trickshottr
Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
I specifically disabled extracting scenarios, bsps, sounds, and bitmaps from anniversary maps. Bitmaps, sounds, and bsps are missing their rawdata in anniversary maps, so you'd only be extracting partial tags. Scenarios are a different issue. I don't know how the recorded animations are stored, so I can properly byteswap them. Additionally, unless hek+ got an update after anniversary released, I guarantee it won't be able to properly extract tags. I've personally extracted all of b30 anniversary with refinery(replacing the tags types I mentioned with pc equivalents) and rebuilt and played it for custom edition. Aside from some weirdness with the hud scalingscaling, it plays perfectly.

Oh...i guess i will give it a shot replacing the corrupted tags with the PC ones.

Well he's saying he rebuilt it, for PC.

You should do what I said above if you want an Anniversary map.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Bypass limit of Materials on Models Mar 17, 2019 09:04 PM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: The Gravemind
Different models it shall be cause uvw coords are not my thing

It would actually be really easy. Select the faces, go to UV-unwrap. Then just scale the existing UVmaps to be the size of one of those "Bitmap Tiles", and move it overtop of the proper tile.

Right now the UVmap takes up 1 by 1, you need to resize it so it takes up .25 by .25 and then move it over the proper bitmap. Since the UVmaps are already setup properly, it's just resizing and realigning. Like resizing an image in photoshop.

Because sometimes I do nice things, I made a quick video tutorial of how you would go about doing the suggested

Only downsides would be that materials would share the same shader, and thus have the same detail maps and such things. Normal maps wouldn't be an issue as you could use the same scaled 4x4 of the normals. But you couldn't use different cubemaps or details.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 17, 2019 at 09:30 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't add tags to tag list. Sapian. [no logs] Mar 17, 2019 02:46 PM (Total replies: 18)

Yeah I'm stumped. I figured somebody else would have heard something or had a solution. I still run Windows 7, so I can't offer too much insight outside of the obvious.

I'm gonna run through it in detail just to make sure it's clear for anybody else who may be reading that can help. I'm sorry if it offends you, I don't think you're stupid. I want to do a full "Is the computer plugged in" breakdown, because nobody else has described this issue you're having, that's not how the program normally works of course, and I myself misunderstood a few parts of the topic earlier on and may still be confused, as may others.

So, to make clear for anybody else that would be contributing;

You start with fresh tags, or a rip with Refinery, in a folder called TAGS, inside the same folder as Sapien, Guerilla and Tool. You also have a full, "legal" (or close enough) installation of Halo CE with all the .DLLs present in this same directory. This is setup just like a normal installation of Halo CE and the HEK, without anything placed in sub-directories.

The drive this directory is insatlled on, and all files within the directory can be accessed by Windows Explorer and you have Admin privileges on the directory. For redundancy, all programs are being run as administrator. Your computer is up to date on all drivers and updates, and is a full "legal" (or close enough) version of Windows 10. All programs run without error messages, and you can play Halo.

You open a scenario tag with Sapien. Everything loads and the level displays. You can move around the level. In the Hierarchy View window you click "Edit Types" button on top which brings up a window that says Dialog. This window has a dropdown called Object Class that has the different tag types. When you change the Object Class, you can see the tags of that type that are referenced by the scenario appear in the space below. Further down, there's a button on bottom called Add. When you click Add, a window pops up for you to select a tag. You select an appropriate tag that matches the Tag Class of the dropdown you selected. No error displays or shows up in Debug.txt, but the tag is not added to the list of Tags.

That's exactly how it happens, right? Anything you want to add?

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't add tags to tag list. Sapian. [no logs] Mar 17, 2019 01:56 PM (Total replies: 18)

Quote: --- Original message by: Silver
E:This happens with any tag I try to add regardless if it was in the map already or not.
Edited by Silver on Mar 17, 2019 at 01:45 PM

This is a bit of a misnomer; the tag being in the map is just a directory reference until Tool compiles it. So if your tags weren't in a folder called TAGS in the same directory as Sapien, that would probably cause issues. All your TAGS are in a folder called TAGS in the same directory as Sapien Guerilla and Tool, correct?

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't add tags to tag list. Sapian. [no logs] Mar 17, 2019 10:13 AM (Total replies: 18)

Quote: --- Original message by: JadeMcLain
I had this exact problem when my tags where not in my tags directory. In sapien when you go to add tags, check the folder to see if its inside your Halo CE folder under tags. There may be a chance sapien is looking somewhere else you installed Halo before.

I did see this solution posted elsewhere in the search I had made through Halomaps, but from what he's saying it's not even bringing the dialogue menu up. Not sure if I misunderstood.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 17, 2019 at 10:13 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't add tags to tag list. Sapian. [no logs] Mar 17, 2019 07:39 AM (Total replies: 18)

Those are the basics. Haven't heard of this before, Google is turning up nothing on Halomaps.

You've used Sapien before, and know how to use it right? I don't want to ask if the computer's plugged in if you know what you're doing.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Bypass limit of Materials on Models Mar 17, 2019 01:15 AM (Total replies: 6)

What the hell are you making

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't add tags to tag list. Sapian. [no logs] Mar 16, 2019 11:02 PM (Total replies: 18)

Have you uninstall/reinstall HEK? All updates to runtimes and DLLs?
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 16, 2019 at 11:03 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Can't add tags to tag list. Sapian. [no logs] Mar 16, 2019 10:36 PM (Total replies: 18)

Running as admin? Disable desktop composition and run in compatibility mode for Win 7. What directory are you running out of?

Halo CE General Discussion » Low poly count ODST city Mar 14, 2019 06:07 PM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: Erutypus
So, is the poly count in a HCE map only limited how many polys are viable on screen at the time you are viewing them (i.e. 42 polys per section)? Are the polys in the other sections that are not being viewed at that time don't count depending on where your at? If it is so then, I would like to add more sections later on. If not then I got to make some more changes to make. Well, all three sections add up to 135066 polys. Its a little over 45K each section, so I got to cut out some more polys here and there.

Vanilla Halo, with no enhancements, can render approximately 16k triangles at a time. With HAC2, that number is doubled to 32k. OpenSauce is in the middle at 24k.

You would separate each "section" into an individual BSP section, and then find a way to load them with two bay doors or something else. That's about how ODST did it, but you definitely cannot combine all of the sections together into a single BSP structure. You would need to make one for each section, and then use (switch_bsp) or a BSP switching Trigger Volume to make the swap.

What that 24k/32k limit means is level portalling. Are you familiar with +portal and +exactportal? You're gonna be soon. They're planes that divide open sections of the map. The areas the player aren't in are culled and don't render, which let's Halo better decide how to get the total number of polys from 42k down to either 24k or 32k. OpenSauce has a lot of other enhancements for Single Player. IDK if HAC2 even works anymore, I've always detested it.

You won't get these BSPs rendering in Vanilla stock Halo, 16K just isn't enough, if you divide the level into too many sections the engine will cull areas that are in plain view. Realistically you should be splitting a level down based on level geometry into about 4-5 areas. If you want help in this, let me know. there is NO documentation that properly explains how to do these; everything you find will say to make a grid and extrude it past the sky. This is rubbish, it works about as well as it sounds it would work. From what I've gathered, BSP Portalling was designed to enhance rendering performance. Helping bypass rendering limits is a nice side effect.

There's a ton of subtle rules to portals. A single plane can't bisect multiple open areas, portals and exact portals ar I've been figuring a lot of these out.

DeadHamster #8410

on Discord. Happy to provide assistance.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 14, 2019 at 06:09 PM

Edit:

After double checking my geometry I want to correct;

The ODST BSP got down to about 39K Polys, not 42k. I use over 3K on the tunnels that connect the BSPs. Horribly inefficient I know. But better news for you.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 15, 2019 at 05:27 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Low poly count ODST city Mar 14, 2019 05:59 AM (Total replies: 5)

This is very, very cool. Excited to see how it develops. The overall geometry is pretty accurate from the screenshots. Getting more complex materials later on might be a pain, but this is a great start to something that looks promising.

Edit:

For reference, by cutting out the courtyard and optimizing the geometry while preserving material edges, I was able to get the section 5 BSP down to about 45K polys. I shaved another 3-4k off by redrawing overcomplex sections of the BSP from there. Once it got <42K I was satisfied, but there's a lot of unoptimized geometry I could still update. And, unfortunately, my tunnels use a lot of geometry that they really shouldn't be, so that would save you a lot as well.

So, with sub-optimized rips that need minimum material updating you can get an average ODST BSP down to ~41K faces each. That's what the average for each of my FOM geometry pieces ends up being. I have 6 BSP sections @ 41K each, so you should in theory be able to get a full ODST BSP into CE out of ripped geometry as opposed to going from scratch.

I think that might be a better avenue to go about. But you seem to churn out this geometry fairly quickly, so IDK.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 14, 2019 at 06:05 AM

About eschaton expanding anniversary maps...well when I press the expand thing it just hangs at 0% so im assuming no

Ok so I actually looked into it again and here's what I found;

Forget the replacing the Scenario tag, too complex. Nothing appears to be properly opening Anniversary maps, which is expected as there is some new data crammed in there.

Classic Controls in Eschaton had a requirement of pressing Enter after entering data in order to actually write it to the mapfile. This was to prevent it from writing on each keystroke. While a save button would be better, this is what we were given. I think the issue coming up is that the 'indexes' function in Eschaton wasn't finished properly and so the write function is always writing 0 instead of the actual list_index of the dropdown box.

The good news is; this doesn't happen in Scrolling controls. So, ignore what I said about scrolling controls being the devil and get through it somehow. Open the tag, go to sparky's plugins, find the Actor Palette. Write down all the AI types. Go to the encounters/squads section, and change the actor_type index. It should automatically write that to the mapfile, no pressing enter or anything.

Make as many changes as you can before closing the map. To "properly" close the program, after editing the SCNR tag select the "REFERENCE SWAPPER" dropdown, then select another tag, then select the mapfile and in the FILE menu select Close Map (CTRL+SHIFT+X).

If you try to just click another tag without first selecting the reference swapper, Eschaton will crash (your changes are saved.) Also, if you try to re-select the Scenario tag after having already selected and deselected it once, Eschaton will crash (your changes are saved.)

Edit: One last thing just to be clear; you can't add anything to the level that wasn't already there. If the map had Hunters, you can put Hunters all over the place. But if there wasn't already Hunters somewhere in the map's tags, you can't add them in.
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 13, 2019 at 05:54 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo: The Master Chief Collection Coming to PC Mar 13, 2019 04:52 PM (Total replies: 50)

Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
I think it is in Microsoft’s best interest to release some form of editing kit. Doesn’t necesairly have to be released right away with the game. In any regard, people will have an interest in reverse engineering the game, so might as well give them what they want.

I highly doubt this for one reason; Why would they? Who even has the talent to make custom content for the Halo 3, Reach or 4 Engine, both of which are completely proprietary and have never been used by anyone outside Bungie/343 before? And if there are a few people out there, are those people Microsoft's Target Demographic?

They're releasing this to boost the Windows platform, and to draw in gamers. Not game designers. That's why they mentioned NOTHING about custom content, that's why they said nothing about an editing kit.

And how would such an editing kit even work? They'd have to release 5 kits, for Reach, 1, 2, 3/ODST and 4. None of them would be compliant with the others.

If it happens it's a miracle, but there's a reason they haven't talked about it. Best case to look into is the Anniversary map format, and creating a converter or compiler to let us load custom .map files in the Halo 1 Anniversary engine. This community burned it's goodwill with Microsoft by stealing their crap for the past 15 years and releasing it for free.

Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 13, 2019 at 05:24 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » How to bypass script limit Mar 13, 2019 12:42 AM (Total replies: 5)

IDK, from what I understand that's the hacked toolkit.

As a fix outside of looking for tools that may or may not actually exist, I'd recommend using bit operators;

Quote:
;; To save on valuable global variables, TSC:E makes use of Open Sauce enabling bit operations
;; on variables.
(global long bit_field 0)

;; Each variable is comprised of a set number of bits. OS bit operations all work on a long
;; integer, which in hsc has 32 bits. Each bit in the long can only be 0 or 1; certain combinations
;; of 0 and 1 lead to a huge number of different values, but we can also use it as if it were
;; essentially a sequence of 32 true/false flags.

(bit_test bit_field 3)
;; this will test if the third bit (bit 3) in the variable is 0 or 1. If it's 0, it will return false;
;; if it's 1, it will return true.

(set bit_field (bit_toggle bit_field 3 1))
;; this will set bit 3 in the bit_field variable to 1, or, for our purposes, true.
;; We have a BIT_SET macro defined in shared\shared_macros.hsh that simplifies this slightly.

;; to make life easier, we always use preprocessor macros with our bit fields.
#define GRUNTS_BIT 0
#define JACKALS_BIT 1
#define BRUTES_BIT 2
#define ELITES_BIT 3
#define HUNTERS_BIT 4

;; If the elites are dead, set the elites bit to false
(if (< (ai_living_count encounter/elites) 0)
BIT_SET(bit_field ELITES_BIT 0)
)

;; If the elites bit is on, elites attack; if not, it means they're dead, so have everyone defend
(if (bit_test bit_field ELITES_BIT)
(ai_attack encounter/elites)
(ai_defend encounter)
)

;; You shouldn't need to use these unless you're really really hurting for globals, but if you're
;; just trying to poke some things in TSC:E's scripts, this should give you enough to know what's
;; going on.

ive tried both so far but my knowledge is so limited im notsure if im doing things right

THe good news is that it is able to read the anniversary maps,but the bad news is that it is crashing

https://i.imgur.com/wx6o2SS.jpg

That's okay, we're actually going to be using Refinery. Not sure if it works with Anniversary, but it's better than HEK+ in every way.

HEK is the term used to describe Guerilla/Sapien/Tool, HEK+ is an extraction tool that's outdated.

This installs the MEK Essentials. Install it and try to extract just the scenario tag from the Anniversary map. If you can't extract it from the Anniversary map, extract the entirety of the same map from the stock Halo PC mapfile that matches it.

Then, open your scenario tag in Guerilla and make any wanted adjustments. You CANNOT ADD OR REMOVE ANY ITEMS. You CANNOT CHANGE TAG REFERENCES. NO ADDING, NO REMOVING, NO CHANGING TAGS. You can change which AI a squad uses, but DO NOT change the AI tag itself. This is to make sure we keep the tag the same size as stock, if you modify any references it'll won't be able to be cleanly injected later.

After making all those adjustments and compiling your mapfile, test and make sure it works and that the changes you made show up appropriately.

Edit: Eschaton can expand anniversary maps, right?
Edited by DeadHamster on Mar 12, 2019 at 07:36 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo: The Master Chief Collection Coming to PC Mar 12, 2019 07:14 PM (Total replies: 50)

Each game will be released one after the other, and each game must be individually purchased.

No talk of custom content being available.

Nice try Microsoft, you're still not getting me on Windows 10. That was close though, real close.

Halo CE General Discussion » How to bypass script limit Mar 12, 2019 02:05 PM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: Pabeung
Not working and it's not the script size but the global blocks I've hit is there a special OS HEK that could bypass all of this shiht.

Well the OS_HEK only lets you bypass limits that OS extended. There were some hacked versions that let you extend other data that users found out was arbitrarily bound by the toolset, even though it was under the actual engine cap.

This is the OS_2 toolset

But again, I don't know that the limits your hitting are arbitrary, and if you re-read that script document you'll see how badly scripts can get screw things up even if the game does allow it to run.

Either way, there you go. There is an OS_Tool4.exe out there somewhere. Don't know what caps it unbounds.

Time: Sun March 24, 2019 12:13 AM 391 ms.
A Halo Maps Website