A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Today @ 03:00 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 312 posts out of 462810 total posts (.07%) in 1,080 days (.29 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » modifying campaigns with HEK Today @ 03:00 PM (Total replies: 2)

Debug.txt will tell you why Sapien crashes

Sparkedit was made by Grenadiac over a decade ago. At the time we had a basic understanding of the mapfile, and the scenario tag. This understanding did not include scripts. If you save any map containing scripts in sparkedit it overwrites that section of data and corrupts the mapfile. Dont even need to duplicate AFAIK; opening and saving breaks the map.

Halo CE General Discussion » CMT RETURNS! New project and team details inside! May 20, 2017 09:58 AM (Total replies: 11962)

Quote: --- Original message by: CLASSIFIED
in all seriousness though, what do you guys think?

I think this forum has seen 1000 posts where people with no skill look for others to make all their wildest ideas a reality. I think they've seen 1000 of these projects with huge ambitions fail before a single tag is made, which is exactly what will happen here as well. I think that it takes teams of AAA professional game designers and >50 subcontracted freelance artists to make the type of project you're looking to make. I think that you're one kid.

I also think you should start your own topic and not spam your ideas in somebody else's thread.

Halo CE General Discussion » Money May 18, 2017 10:36 PM (Total replies: 117)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dennis
Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse
Dennis has been clear that he doesn't make any profit from this site. If anything, he pours cash into it out of love.
I wouldn't go so far as to call it "love", but the rest is accurate.

You should work with Sparky to turn the Halo Maps archive into a profit generator. He seems to have this pretty well figured out, there's apparently quite the payout in distribution of assets for a game engine older than some of the site's posters.

Halo CE General Discussion » Does anyone need AI sync May 17, 2017 06:20 AM (Total replies: 17)

Altis im going out to get breakfast but when Im back Im gonna send you a PM. After re-reading what you need that app to do I feel more comfortable. Lets get this done.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 17, 2017 at 06:22 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [VIDEO]Scripting Tutorial May 17, 2017 04:27 AM (Total replies: 30)

I want to state because I just realized I didn't in the previous post; Your tutorial was informative and descriptive, definitely covers a nice progression of talent.

I know blamscript very well and was expecting to come across a few things I could add to or correct. The STUB section was the only one. You definitely know your stuff and even as an experienced scripter I walked away with a handful of new ideas or applications I hadn't thought of before.

Thank you very much for the writeup!

Halo CE General Discussion » Introducing a new map team! May 17, 2017 12:11 AM (Total replies: 7)

Im concerne at the lack of an H2 Coagulation. Shows a lack of commitment.

Halo CE General Discussion » Does anyone need AI sync May 16, 2017 07:01 PM (Total replies: 17)

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
To be honest, Il Duco Primo is one of the Halomaps elders so he can afford being a dick xD

Well if that matters;

http://old.halomods.com/forums/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=73252

Ive been in the community longer than he has. If he can afford being a dick I can afford calling him out on it.

Halo CE General Discussion » Does anyone need AI sync May 15, 2017 11:44 PM (Total replies: 17)

Quote: --- Original message by: il Duce Primo
Obviously people need it. The question is can you do it? Stop selling us on these lies.

Are you always this big of a twat? Can you help it or is it some autistic side-effect you have no mental control over? Every post from you is some moronic yet-still holier-than-thou drivel that some aspie 15 year old would write;

Quote: wHAT THE HELL IS A MOZZ? O wait is that the name of somethign your programmed that doesntly relate to anything of whatever it does. You want a job doing what you do but clearly express a lack of common sense in how you named it. Your program could be amazing or solve the world's problem but with how you expressed its use is terrible.

Quote: Cant wait to try out that upgraded extrude feature. Going to bring my maps to the next level.

Quote: I would love to see you sell anything first because I doubt you would. Even if you did sell anything it would probably be immaterial for Microsoft to care. Just sell your stuff if you think you can.

Quote: Make it extract to a tiff

Altis the app you're looking for is a bit much for me to piece together or I'd be happy to assist. Just not familiar enough with Animation Tags to be dissecting and reassembling them at the level of quality you'd be looking for.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Custom Edition on Mac May 14, 2017 04:20 AM (Total replies: 10)

Quote: --- Original message by: HandofGod
Seems like a pain to deal with Wine and all that... Just download HaloMD for free and play with all the other Mac Halo players like me.

And if they want to play with people who aren't on macs? Or if they want to play SPV3?

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta May 12, 2017 05:32 AM (Total replies: 105)

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

B30 is about 370,000 polies when viewed from above fully-populated with game scripts running.

I assume by fully populated you mean with thescenery objects, vehicles and bipeds of all the BSPs combined. Otherwise that number is way way way off.

Mombasa's current combined BSP structures tally in with 116,849 Vertices comprising 234,966 faces.

Also, my main concern is not so much in rendering, but in filesize limits. I'm already approaching several limits in the mapfile and have already bypassed others using various hacked OpenSauce tools. After stripping evolved tags the mapfile is just shy of 500mb without the new BSP. TSC: E was ~570.

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice
Also, you actually used the fudd tool?! :D
So awesome not having to set shaders up

I want to find a way to get the diffuse for groundmaps. They're stored in nestled compositemaps, so I have to find a way to dig into each one and determine which is the diffuse.

Edit: looking into it, groundmaps get really wonky in later games. monochrome bitmaps with color change masks and other strange hoohah. looking into it.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 12, 2017 at 05:58 AM

Update since HaloMaps won't let me bump my own Posts almost a week later;

I managed to port about 90% of the level's Instance Geometry into a few scenery objects.

47.8K Faces are for Rendering purposes only, with no accompanying collision. This is for small details or things like palm leaves of trees.

84.5K Faces are legitimate Instance Geometry, converted into scenery with accompanying collision.

It took 8 .gbxmodel files to contain the model data for the Instance Geometry, and another 4 for the Rendering Geometry. Not all the shaders are compiled at the moment, as you can see from the screenshots
Edited by DeadHamster on May 17, 2017 at 02:11 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 2 Forerunner Textures? May 11, 2017 11:17 PM (Total replies: 2)

Quote: --- Original message by: Vergil
I know Halo 2 uses a lot of halo 1 textures for it's forerunner stuff, but does anyone have the textures used for the forerunner stuff in halo 2, like silent cartographer and regret?

Not in .bitmap, but as any type of img

These with that.

Halo CE General Discussion » CD key invalid May 11, 2017 04:32 AM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: SKyWolf
Didn't we all did? A friend that downloaded the same Halo CE can create games. Does this has to do with the Halo CE Dedicated server patch? Or how can I host an internet game?

Did you guys use the same CD key?

Not all the keys out there are known frauds, he may have gotten lucky. The dedicated server won't help unless you install, I believe it's SAPP, on it, which has an option to disable key checking.

I myself purchased the game from Best Buy roughly 10 years ago, but have had to reacquire it many times since then.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 11, 2017 at 04:34 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » CD key invalid May 11, 2017 03:40 AM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: SKyWolf
Whenever i try to host a game the message "CD key invalid" pops up. Why is this?

It means you stole the game. There's a database somehow associated with the servers that prevents CD keys that are known to be fraudulent from being used Online.

Halo CE General Discussion » Fudd Shader Tool and JMS+ May 10, 2017 08:00 PM (Total replies: 10)

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
I like that you recognized a need and worked to aid it. Are you doing this in RealBasic?

The Mombasa BSPs have 70+ shaders each, the newest one from H3ODST had 90 materials in 3DS max. Manually referencing the bitmaps to 90 different shaders is a nightmare.

I have other similar apps, all of them are fairly minor and wee made to automate tedious tasks. one of them renames tags inside a mapfile by adding a directory before them. So by selecting HAMP!, weapons\pistol\pistol becomes HAMP!\weapons\pistol\pistol

And when I extract, HAMP! will be the folder with all the tags in it. That way if you're ripping content from tons of maps, you'll be able to keep it better organized without cluttering up the main TAGS folder with VKMT, CMT, ZTEAM, HALO3, H3, HALO 3, etc.

Fudd and nearly all my desktop applications are all coded in RealBasic. It's the only language I truly know well, it allows me to compile to PCs or Mac or even Linux with the same set of code, and I can design my GUI inside the editor's GUI; I drag and drop a dropdown box onto the program window, and then resize it just like Layers in Photoshop.

JMS+ is, of course, Maxscript.

Edit:

Haven't started testing yet but the base code should support adding a default cubemap that will be used across all shaders, and also support writing to a shader_model format instead of only shader_enivornment.

If you select either shader type before loading the .HMP, all the materials will default to that shadertype. They can then be manually set later on and the app will determine which type to create during compilation.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 17, 2017 at 04:19 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Differences in Engine between obje class tags May 10, 2017 07:47 PM (Total replies: 12)

There might be fewer published community efforts of the various Halo communities, but the sharing of information has increased.

RealBasic is case insensitive. If you feel like it, could you maybe get in touch with Modzy and fix Eschaton 0.8.1.1 to rid it of crashing bugs?

No Interest.

Eschaton is not one piece of code. It's dozens and dozens by different authors, all translated and strung together by Alt.

Some of these packages were Halo related, most were not. There were packages for the scrolling interface, packages for exporting/importing/converting JPEG/PNG files, others resizing and optimizing jpeg/png files on import. There were packages for rendering the BSP, etc. etc.

There's another part of the AIM log with Modzy where me and him discuss how hard deciphering Eschaton source code was. That was the 0.4 version of the source, he didn't even have rebuilding yet.

So yeah, No Interest.

But I wouldn't turn down a copy of the 0.8.1 Source Code.

Halo CE General Discussion » Differences in Engine between obje class tags May 10, 2017 02:49 AM (Total replies: 12)

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
I learned how to write programs from Alt. Him and Modzy taught me RealBasic, which is what I still use now.

Got back home and found an old log of my AIM conversations I keep on an old PC I use as a file server, snipped a few interesting bits;

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jgxrtqm38lsefj3/altimit01.txt

http://www.mediafire.com/file/vurgyodqx4o4aqg/modzy.txt

Both conversations are from 2009;

First one is Alt teaching me MapMagic so I could make Illudium

Next one is the conversation between me and Modzy that led to Eternal Lightning, the first heavily leaked Map Deprotector I know of.

There used to be a really thriving community, not only in Custom Edition mapping but in mods for the PC version. Long gone are the days.

Eh: btw, Here's the source code to Eternal Lightning. With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility.

dim f as folderitem

dim br as binarystream

f=getopenfolderitem ("")

if f <> Nil then
br=f.openasbinaryfile(true)
br.littleEndian=true

br.position=16
dim indexoffset as int32
indexoffset=br.readint32

br.position=indexoffset

Dim MapMagic As Int32 = br.ReadInt32 - 40 - IndexOffset

br.Position = IndexOffset + 12

dim TagCount as integer
TagCount = br.ReadInt32

dim taglist as int32

taglist=indexoffset+40

br.position=taglist

br.write("rncs")

br.position=taglist+16

Dim ProtectedStringOffset as int32= br.readint32-mapmagic

dim n as integer

//Tee hee. Not my code. Sorry, I really didn't feel like re-writing all of this in a different way, and since you gave me the code it would've been silly to do everything my own
//getting the same results. Total credits to you for this app.
N=0
While N <> TagCount
br.Position=IndexOffset+&h34+(N*&h20)
Dim TagID As Int32 = br.ReadInt32
Dim TagNameOffset As Int32 = br.ReadInt32-MapMagic

If TagNameOffset = ProtectedStringOffset then
br.Position=br.Position-4
br.WriteInt32 br.Length+MapMagic
br.Position=br.Length
br.Write(Hex(TagID))
br.WriteInt8 00
end

N=N+1
wend

br.Close

MsgBox "The Gods Have Spoken"

//end of your code.

end if

Halo CE General Discussion » [VIDEO]Scripting Tutorial May 10, 2017 01:32 AM (Total replies: 30)

Quote: Stub

Allegedly a "prototype" script.
Has one useful function to define a player directly (so you do not
have to reference the object_list to the player in every command
every time you try to look for the player)
(script stub unit player0
(unit (list_get (players) 0))
)

Not quite; Stub scripts operate the same way as Static scripts, however if a Static script with the same name is compiled alongside it, the Static script is kept and the Stub is left out.

CMT uses stub scripts for debugging purposes, to make a "prototype" script like this;

(script stub boolean random_chance_50
(print "UNFILLED STUB: random_chance_50")

false
)

Then later in the document or in another script they'll create a static script with the same name. It overwrites the stub, if there is no static script a debug message appears for the dev team letting them know they forgot to write a script.

(script static boolean random_chance_50
(> 0.50 (real_random_range 0 1))
)

I don't quite understand the benefit, but on a project as big as SPV3 with Kirby adding engine features through blamscript, I guess you want to just lay it all out beforehand.

I found a much better use for them; Child Scenarios;

When tool compiles Child Scenarios there is no hierarchy, there is no parent or child scenario. It makes one, single scenario file out of all of the pieces. Which means that a stub script in one scenario can be overridden by a static from another.

For example, I keep a scenario file only for scenery and vehicle placements in Mombasa. I can name the vehicles in that child scenario using a static script, then put stub scripts in the main scenario that reference dummy objects.

When the map is compiled, any script in the main scenario's .HSC that referenced the dummy objects will instead reference the vehicles from the child scenario's .HSC

/threadjack

Hope you appreciate the info.

Halo CE General Discussion » Fudd Shader Tool and JMS+ May 9, 2017 06:20 PM (Total replies: 10)

Quote: --- Original message by: Nickster5000
👌👌👌

This is great. I will definitely take a look at this, it will be very useful!

Well, if you do use it, use version 1.1 that I just updated the OP with. It properly supports non-recursive compositetexturemaps, and also compiles detail maps and bumpmaps to the .shader_environment if they're available in the 3DS Material.

Edit:
With the update, the .HMP format has changed;

Shader_Count|Shader_Name|DiffuseTexture:DetailTexture{BumpTexture|Shader_Name|etc...

So, a shader will always be followed by a |, after which is always the diffuse map. Then, if next character is a : we know to add a detail map, if it's a { we add a bumpmap. If there is a detail, we have to check for a bumpmap again after. Bumpmaps will never be written before detail maps.

If at any point we hit another |, we know to go to the next shader.

Edited by DeadHamster on May 9, 2017 at 06:26 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
He actually even mentioned you in a video of his, calling you a good friend of his :)

https://youtu.be/5onHFKlJQ_Y?t=4m55s
Edited by lolslayer on May 9, 2017 at 04:49 PM

I know it's corny and all but that definitely made my day.

That program he mentioned, Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator, I recently fixed it maybe 2 years back. It moves all the spawn points in the map to a single location, so that you could relocate them easier with Sparkedit.

My response here does not answer your question directly, but the differences are related to the memory tables in which they are stored. It's nice to know that you are still interested in the game engine's behavior after all these years. Didn't you contribute something to the MGM community years ago, back when Altimit01 was working on Eschaton?

Helped mapping out collision tags, was one of Alt's main PC beta tester. I was actually delighted to go into 0.8.1 recently and see my name in the credits.

I learned how to write programs from Alt. Him and Modzy taught me RealBasic, which is what I still use now.

Time: Mon May 22, 2017 7:12 PM 297 ms.
A Halo Maps Website