A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Sep 26, 2018 02:13 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 707 posts out of 468041 total posts (.15%) in 1,624 days (.44 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Rebuilt map anomaly Sep 26, 2018 02:13 PM (Total replies: 4)

Sounds like something is eating particles. Theres a cap, my guess is when you look north the object isnt in view and isnt rendering, but when you turn it does. Any emitters or funky scenery tags doing anything south of the player's position?

Halo CE General Discussion » project proposal... boarding extraction! Sep 22, 2018 08:14 PM (Total replies: 8)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Make a playable demo
Then people will join you

No they won't. Then you end up with an oversized mod whose weight is slowly crushing you.

Halo CE General Discussion » [WIP] El secreto Sep 20, 2018 10:18 PM (Total replies: 6)

Wow that looks really good. Really good.

Reminds me a bit of the style in the map Church. Always thought that level was overhyped, even when it was released. Some poor choices for weapon spawns and things like that, and didn't care for over-detailed bitmaps on under-detailed geometry. Felt like a really good Unreal map.

But regardless of the overhype, still a fantastic map. Looked great.

So does this, keep it up, excited to see how it comes out.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Recorded animations on 1.10 Sep 17, 2018 03:58 PM (Total replies: 1)

You're crazy.

Halo CE General Discussion » need help Sep 16, 2018 04:10 PM (Total replies: 6)

Yeah if anyone else isn't aware yet, the guy's referring to his penis.

I'm actually pretty sure you do need a CD key in order for your penis to sync it's size and position over a network.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » sapien script and bsp problem Sep 16, 2018 11:57 AM (Total replies: 6)

When compiled the JMS gets turned into a .scenario_structure_bsp file located in the TAGS folder, in the same directory you placed the .jms in your DATA folder.

DATA\levels\stan\stan.jms

TAGS\levels\stan\stan.scenario
TAGS\levels\stan\stan.scenario_structure_bsp

Your HSC script is supposed to go into a folder called SCRIPTS inside the data folder that's the same directory as your tags folder.

TAGS\levels\stan\stan.scenario

DATA\levels\stan\scripts\stanscripts.hsc
Edited by DeadHamster on Sep 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] extracthalotagdefs Sep 12, 2018 09:35 PM (Total replies: 4)

From what I understand, Gearbox simply disabled some features of the toolset when releasing it. However, when Bungie or whoever released the Halo 2 programs had the features actually stripped, as in removing the code.

In Halo 1 everything was still there, you just couldn't normally access it. Not the case for H2.

Again, from what I understand.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » UI oddities - Quick Help Sep 10, 2018 10:00 PM (Total replies: 3)

Run all programs as an administrator. Your computer creates cached files in secret folders because Microsoft forgot how to make Operating Systems properly.

Right Click, go to properties, switch it to run as administrator. Now you'll load the maps in your MAPS folder like the program should.

Quote: --- Original message by: ayylien

Heya. I'm pretty new to modding, and I took up a project on editing the campaign maps for the Original Xbox with Arsenic, as well as trying to edit some of their scripts. I've been able to extract the scripts, edit and save them, but I cannot seem to find a method to compile the scripts into the map I'm modifying. I tried using Sapien, but it keeps crashing after I open the scenario file with this message appearing in debug.txt:

08.30.18 20:41:10 a hobo pc 01.01.00.0609 ----------------------------------------------
08.30.18 20:41:10 reference function: _write_to_error_file
08.30.18 20:41:10 reference address: 401b13
08.30.18 20:41:10 Couldn't read map file './a_hobobeta.map'
08.30.18 20:41:10 CreateDevice succeeded with refresh rate = 0
08.30.18 20:41:10 Sound card doesn't meet minimum hardware requirements. Disabling hardware option.
08.30.18 20:41:11 file_open('tags\ui\editor\markers\normal\normal.gbxmodel') error 0x00000003 'The system cannot find the path specified. '
08.30.18 20:41:11 couldn't open gbxmodel tag 'normal.gbxmodel'.
08.30.18 20:41:11 EAX: 0x00000000
08.30.18 20:41:11 EBX: 0x706C6101
08.30.18 20:41:11 ECX: 0x00000000
08.30.18 20:41:11 EDX: 0x00000000
08.30.18 20:41:11 EDI: 0x0019F298
08.30.18 20:41:11 ESI: 0x00000000
08.30.18 20:41:11 EBP: 0x0019F170
08.30.18 20:41:11 ESP: 0x0019F164
08.30.18 20:41:11 EIP: 0x7773B0BC, C2 08 00 90 ?????
08.30.18 20:41:11 EXCEPTION halt in .\editor_renderer.cpp,#189: marker.model_index!=NONE

Any ideas would be much appreciated, thanks!
Edited by ayylien on Aug 30, 2018 at 09:25 PM
Edited by ayylien on Aug 30, 2018 at 09:29 PM

Did you try to open the map after ripping with refinery but without installing the HEK?

The HEK, while also installing the "base tags" you need to make mp maps, also installs a few tags for the editors to use. For example, a .gbxmodel for the controls that sapien places on any object when it's class is selected (aka the transform gizmo, whatever you call it). That has an actual model, as do other such pieces, at least one of which you do not have.

Long story short, install the HEK.

Halo CE General Discussion » Opensauce Shaders Aug 29, 2018 02:12 PM (Total replies: 0)

Can somebody post a tutorial or an explanation for the fields throughout the shader_model and shader_environment tags, including the new sections for Opensauce v4?

I'm woefully unfamiliar with shaders. I understand quite a bit regarding color change masks and detail functions and all of that, but the new opensauce parts regarding Specular maps and the like I'm unfamiliar with, and I could use a refresh on the stock sections as well. I've quickly searched for tutorials here on Halomaps but didn't find much of worth.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Checking global events Aug 29, 2018 12:58 PM (Total replies: 1)

player_experience is a global, and should be referenced like

player_experience

If you had created a static script named player_experience, then you would reference it like;

(player_experience)

Globals create variables that are called upon as though they were numbers. Static Scripts are functions that are called upon by other scripts to perform a task. This is usually beneficial when you want to perform a function multiple times, or in many separate scripts. Like spawning AI, or updating what vehicle the player is using. Globals are for values you want to perform operations, such as a score, a kill count, or any kind of timer or counter.

Halo CE General Discussion » cmt spc 3 part two come out yet? Aug 25, 2018 04:08 PM (Total replies: 11)

Thanks for those updates btw michelle. Definitely one of the ones that benefited from your work.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Anyone have some intense weather tags? Aug 24, 2018 09:12 PM (Total replies: 2)

Quote: --- Original message by: Reshirom200
I figured out how to use the palletes but the snow in the original is "wimpy", so does antone have a more snowy weather?

Use a larger bitmap and find a snow texture with denser snow. Then in the weather tag increase the particle count. But the denser bitmap is important

Quote: --- Original message by: tburback
I exported the textures and models from Adjutant and a lot of textures are like 50% transparent.

So they load fine in Adjutant and when they are loaded into 3dsMax. But when I put them in blender they all come off as really dark since it's filling in the transparency with black. They look like this.

Is there a certain color that these should be behind the texture or did I do something wrong? I don't know what I'm missing and I can't find anyone asking the question so maybe I'm just dumb.

Sorry if this has already been asked I don't usually use forums and don't know how to search them properly.

I would post examples but my account isn't 7 days old.

In halo 1 the alpha channel of the diffuse texture is used for transparency. They also have a "multipurpose map", where the 3 channels (RGB) are each treated separately. The apha channel of the multipurpose is used for color change options in the tag.

In Halo 3 they use a different setup, so the diffuse texture's alpha channel was used for reflections or details or something else, not sure what. But it WASNT used for transparency, so when you rip the raw image and import it into Halo it still has the alpha channel from the halo 3 diffuse and ends up partially transparent.

You'll have to remake the alpha on all your bitmaps, it's part of the ripping process. If you want fully opaque textures, delete the alpha channel completely in photoshop.

Halo CE General Discussion » b!gt!ts map release- bigass variant. Aug 22, 2018 12:42 AM (Total replies: 19)

Whoa whoawhoawhoa that is a whole lot of stuff I do not care about.

Some people are more harsh with criticism, some like to be kinder. Whenever you post ANYTHING the majority of responses will be things people don't like. Almost every time, it's to point out something you did wrong so that you can either A) Fix or Improve it or B) Realize it's bad and not do it again.

If somebody says "You need to learn how to mod better. This is useless", well that's pretty harsh. But if somebody takes the time to take multiple screenshots and critique your work, that means they explored it and played it and saw it was bad. If you give me a spoiled donut, I'm still going to be angry when you remind me it was free. If your mod is bad its bad, but somebody telling you in which ways it was bad is doing you a favor whether they're nice about it or not.

Quote: i was gonna post a lot more stuff. but the session expired and i only kept a partial backup

Holy cra...you mean there was supposed to be more?

Edited by DeadHamster on Aug 22, 2018 at 12:48 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » b!gt!ts map release- bigass variant. Aug 21, 2018 05:50 AM (Total replies: 19)

Back on HaloMods Pepsi711 downloaded somebody's beavercreek and ridicule how poorly made it was, screenshotting a tree base and putting an F- on it in red, with "detention see me after class"

The other guy responded all irregular like this fellow, and said at the end "I'd like to see you build a better base out of trees.", completely missing the point that there shouldn't be sparkedit treeforts anymore and that's what was being criticized.

So Pepsi decided to spite him, built his own map on beavercreek and hid underneath the arch with trees, a portal on the opposite tunnel to get in. It was snug and the rest of the map's scenery made it feel not at all out of place. He made a legitimate tree base, and a far better mod just to spite somebody.

That doesn't have much to do with what we're discussing here except for the parts where it does. I just really like that story and how Pepsi711 gave somebody an F- on their mod.

edit:

Found the thread. Unfortunately Pepsi's F- image has been lost to the ravages of time. But what a time to be alive.

I saw a mod that swapped the models of some vehicles that would make no sense, like a ghost for a warthog and crap like that. The first response read "You need to learn more about modding. This is useless." and that was all they wrote. That might be even better than the F-

Edited by DeadHamster on Aug 21, 2018 at 07:05 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE]: New Mombasa Beta Aug 20, 2018 11:30 PM (Total replies: 201)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Vehicle combat is looking sick man

I got the AI driving much better, but miswrote a < instead of a > and spawned infinite marines.

After some daring excapades, I made one of the greatest rescues in UNSC history, bravely fighting back against impossible odds to bring an unarmed marine to safety.

What actually happened was I had spawned so many marines due to the miswritten script that the game had run out of objects and couldn't give my marine an assault rifle. Hilarity ensued, and I can almost guarantee that the concept will end up being worked into the game whenever I start getting the mini missions implemented.

After watching the video again, I can clearly hear an elite inside one of the wraiths laughing after sending my warthog flying with a wraith blast. Check 1:35 of the video to hear it.

Quote: --- Original message by: Reshirom200
I just got a halo 2 tag ripper and im trying to find that m6d crate from tombstone, anyone have any idea where to look in dir?
Thanks

Are you trying to use this in Halo 2 Vista? If so I can't be of any assistance, lack of knowledge.

If you just want the raw assets (model and texture), or if you're using it in Halo 1;

Download Adjutant. Delete whatever "tag ripper" you currently have.

Download Tombstone from Here.

Download Main Menu, Shared, and Single Player Shared from the same website.

Use adjutant to rip the tag. It'll be listed somewhere under scenery.

Halo CE General Discussion » b!gt!ts map release- bigass variant. Aug 20, 2018 08:38 PM (Total replies: 19)

This thread pleases me. It may continue.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Question about AI Aug 18, 2018 01:00 AM (Total replies: 1)

You could only have up to 10 different AI players in a free for all match.

Open a scenario in sapien, place 10 encounters, set each one to a different team index (0-9), and create one squad inside each. Make the squad have 1 A.I. and set it to respawn enabled. Save and compile.

No you cannot add more than 10 teams. No there is no way to make A.I. without teams.

Time: Sat November 17, 2018 9:03 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website