A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: DeadHamster
About Contact
Last Post: Today @ 01:02 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
DeadHamster has contributed to 913 posts out of 468982 total posts (.19%) in 1,815 days (.50 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

For a second or two I definitely thought this was posted yesterday.

Either way; this looks fantastic. Sorry this was overlooked BioGoji, really good work. Excited to see the current project you've been working on.

Edit: Crap you've been posting tons of updates.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 27, 2019 at 01:04 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] Map Protector May 25, 2019 06:18 PM (Total replies: 9)

Sup.

Nobody is that stupid.

Cheers
~DH

Halo CE General Discussion » Proposal: How to share tags and maps May 24, 2019 10:52 PM (Total replies: 33)

Sparky has a manifesto, by the way.
Physical Copy

It has ~300k words, mostly about Jesus. To put into perspective; the entirety of the New Testament is ~184k words. The Lord of the Rings Trilogy is ~455k.

This means Sparky wrote far more about Jesus than all the people that actually lived with Jesus and saw his miracles. He's also written as much about Jesus as Tolkien did for both the Fellowship and Two Towers.

Halo CE General Discussion » Proposal: How to share tags and maps May 24, 2019 12:03 AM (Total replies: 33)

Aww look, I hurt someone's delicate little sensibilities.

Halo CE General Discussion » Proposal: How to share tags and maps May 23, 2019 05:39 PM (Total replies: 33)

You do realize I'm not sorting the tags right? I'm actually renaming them, so that when they're extracted after it changes the folder hierarchy and organizes them. So that when you share them it's organized for the user. It also places them inside a custom directory, so that you can sort and organize all your tags and put them inside a single folder before sharing them.

So yeah, it's wonderful that refinery can sort the tags list. That's a super feature. You can also use Refinery to rename tags, kind of like I do, except because Moses is fancy it does it without breaking the map. The catch is that YOU rename each tag, individually, manually, one at a time. Not an automated process that batches the whole thing for you.

I was going to find some work of yours to criticize, but all I can find is you posting Moses' work, you posting Lakia's work. Do you have anything of your own to share?

I think it's stupid that it's obfuscated and that it wasn't just released from the start. I made that pretty clear earlier on. But if he says he's going to then, again, we just gotta appreciate it and wait. We by all means shouldn't even have this, it literally came out of nowhere. If he came out and said "Nah the source isn't gonna get released", then yeah all bets are off screw that. But he says he wants to fix it first, he's already released like 4-5 updates and is talking about more. Let it get fixed so we don't have 6 different versions floating around.

Quote: --- Original message by: BioGoji1989
Okay, this looks nice, but why is Halo 2 Vista excluded from the list of games this can extract animations from?

What animation is in Halo 2 Vista that isn't in Halo 2 Xbox?
Edited by DeadHamster on May 23, 2019 at 01:47 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Kavawuvi
He seems pretty happy to me.
Edited by Kavawuvi on May 23, 2019 at 01:21 PM

He just released a User Interface with no code and didn't realize it. So maybe you're right, they do say ignorance is bliss.

Quote: --- Original message by: Vaporeon
Oh never mind, I found the source!

Cool. Were you going to maintain and update it? Because if not you probably just pissed off the guy that was.

What is the source code going to give you? The ability to incorporate it into another program or to add future titles like Halo Reach (ps he's already doing that). The program already works, it extracts animations. We already knew how to open the mapfiles and read the tags. That's not some secret knowledge. So what is gained from this is the information into how the animations work. Which is great information because now we can.....make an animation extractor. Oh wait, that's what this already is.

I'm all for the release of source code, by the creator of the content. Not by some salty little kid who's upset. So again. Were you going to be updating and maintaining this? Or did you just want to throw your little tantrum because somebody didn't release their source code right away?

Edit PS if that's the same copy I was looking at yesterday it's already outdated and parts are obfuscated. So gg, twat
Edited by DeadHamster on May 23, 2019 at 01:17 PM

-snip- Hamster is really dropping the ball in this thread. Twice now I've replied something stupid.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 23, 2019 at 10:47 AM

-derp don't listen to hamster-

Edited by DeadHamster on May 22, 2019 at 11:18 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and selfishly take the opportunity to interrupt and plug one of my own programs;

Fudd
was specifically designed to be used alongside Adjutant. It automates basic shader tag creation for Stock Halo 1, OpenSauce and Halo 2 Vista. So if anybody is using Bonobo with Adjutant to port content, it's worth at least checking out Fudd to see if it may help you streamline the process of creating shaders. Download

Now continuing your regularly scheduled program

Can confirm that after redownloading shared/mainmenu/singeplayer maps, the issue with Halo 3 is no longer existent and I can load those maps as well. Glad that I was able to catch something in ODST for you.

Trying to open any of the maps posted in the screenshot above. None of them respond, the windows remain blank and no filepath shows up in the title bar.

On further inspection for ODST I can extract some but not all. Jackal Hunter Marine are no good, Ghost Phantom Olifaunt Wraith and Banshee are fine, mongoose is not. Shotgun is fine, Needler is not. Always the "same" error.

For Halo 3 it just doesn't open the map or display anything.

Edited by DeadHamster on May 21, 2019 at 06:42 PM

Can only open Halo 2 and Halo ODST maps, Cannot open maps from Halo 3.

Halo 2 extracts fine, Halo ODST gives this error;

----5/21/2019 5:53:12 PM----
System.IO.EndOfStreamException: Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.
at System.IO.BinaryReader.FillBuffer(Int32 numBytes)
at System.IO.BinaryReader.ReadInt32()
at Blam.IO.EndianReader.ReadInt32()
at Blam.Cache.CacheHeader.Read(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Cache.CacheFile.ReadHeader(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Cache.CacheFile.Read(CacheReader reader)
at Blam.Games.Game.LoadCacheFile(String fileName)
at Blam.Games.Game.LoadResourceCacheFiles()
at Blam.Games.Game.InitializeCacheFile(String fileName)
at Bonobo.ViewModel.MainViewModel.OpenFile()
at Bonobo.RelayCommand.Execute(Object parameter)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Controls.MenuItem.InvokeClickAfterRender(Object arg)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)

Yeah that's definitely a valid viewpoint. Microsoft Lawyers can be an intimidating force, even if they're only a theoretic potential. I've always felt the reason we didn't get a proper Halo sequel on PC was directly due to the amount of ripped content from H2/H3. We showed we couldn't be trusted more or less. In the end, it might've been for the best the community only got what it did, but you'd be very hard pressed to convince the DeadHamster from 10 years ago of that same idea. Many will argue that "They didn't give us Halo on PC so that's what we did", but at that point you're arguing if the chicken came before the egg.

Again, cannot thank you enough for making this available and I don't want to disparage any of the work Zteam has done in the past or that you're doing now in the present. You can see in this thread already that people are putting the program to use, and I know it'll continue to be used going forward.

Quote: --- Original message by: Spiral
People who think this way are fantastic to me. Thank you so much and I'm glad to see a tool like this make it to the public custom edition community after such a long time. I really really appreciate it.

I really don't want to be the debbie-downer here. I really, really appreciate what CV just did for the community, and don't want to bring up things that happened a decade ago.

But the rumors have always been that Zteam has had animation extraction since forever. I don't know, I wasn't on the team or in relevant parties, but the rumor was always that Zteam had animation extractors for at the very least back in Halo 2 days. Zteam also protected all of their content, before releasing their tagset unprotected at the end.

All said and done most of Zteams stuff ended up public. But they were one of the bad ones at keeping things secret and to themselves. I know very little, I was a lowly PC modder making meta swaps with HMT when Zteam was actually a thing, LaikaGlove can obviously tell this story better than myself.

Laika- I'm sure you intend to release the source, but along with what Vaporeon and Michelle have said, I'm gonna recommend an archived source be uploaded somewhere just as a backup. Nobody is going to make a fork while you're still active, and it'll ensure that if you suddenly disappear as quickly as you've reappeared, then we aren't stuck here with a partially-broken tool that could potentially do amazing things. Also, there's a lot of smart people here. Someone could definitely help out and figure some things out.

In the end you're well within your rights to tell all of us to f*** off and keep the source to yourself. This is a huge gift to the community and we have to be grateful for it. But the standard now is that everything is released open-sourced, unprotected in as accessible a format as possible.

If you don't want to do that now, maybe send Masterz an archive of the source? He doesn't know how to do anything with it, the rest of the community knows it exists with him, and you don't have to worry about someone making a fork and messing everything up while you're still around.

Quote: --- Original message by: LaikaGlove
I have more than enough knowledge at this point to also implement animation compilation for Halo 2 Vista

It's very small but very, very appreciative.

Edit: Hold up. I actually read the topic now. You're telling me this thing rips straight to the .jmo or whatever? Not to a format that you import into 3ds max that you than re-export back out?

Wow man this is incredible thank you so much. When MCC comes around this will be a great asset to have. I actually expect to start using it well before then.

Edited by DeadHamster on May 20, 2019 at 07:20 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Proposal: How to share tags and maps May 20, 2019 04:48 PM (Total replies: 33)

Well I'm gonna take this opportunity to plug something of my own and make a final note; if you are sharing tags you should be using my Frog program located within this download to organize the tags first. Compile your tags into a map, name it whatever directory you want, make sure organize is checked, and then use it on the map. The mapfile will be ruined, but the tags will be organized and pretty.

Video Before/After

Otherwise, I have to use your ugly folder names like Halo3\H3\weapons\Rifles\Assualt_Rilfe\, and then when I try to move the tags everything breaks and it's awful. Now I don't even like your tags and I think less of you as a person. You could've avoided all of this, if you had just used Frog. Don't be a fool.
Edited by DeadHamster on May 20, 2019 at 04:49 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Proposal: How to share tags and maps May 19, 2019 11:34 PM (Total replies: 33)

Sparky I wanna like you but you're just way, way too crazy.

I still hope you have a good birthday and all. But yeah man, you're out of it in a bad way.

Time: Mon May 27, 2019 8:38 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website