A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Tom638
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 28, 2016 11:22 AM
Interests: Modding, basic coding, criticising the media, video games and films.
Your Age:
What Games do you play: Halo 1,2,3 and Reach. Mass Effect, SOM, Arkham Knight etc...
H5 was a dissapointment

Post Statistics
Tom638 has contributed to 49 posts out of 469390 total posts (.01%) in 1,781 days (.03 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Bipeds - Work in Process thread [WIP] Jul 28, 2016 11:22 AM (Total replies: 8490)

Quote: --- Original message by: tillice

I'll let these images speak for themselves.
http://imgur.com/Kd5pVbe.png
http://i.imgur.com/VA5hl7W.png
http://i.imgur.com/Q9tGiHN.png

http://i.imgur.com/w5DAdkJ.jpg
Edited by tillice on May 29, 2016 at 07:29 PM

I actually liked H2A's new character models and wish that people would not hate it just because it has something to do with Halo 2. The fact that H2A had much better visuals actually made the game seem less bad (not that I hate Halo 2 like majority of the people in this forum. I think that some people are far too harsh on the game for its gameplay design choices.).

Halo CE General Discussion » Idiotic request Jul 28, 2016 11:01 AM (Total replies: 11)

Found a copy online after a lengthy search. It works as expected, as far as i know...

This is random, but it also fixed the issue i had with spv3 beforehand...
Edited by Tom638 on Jul 28, 2016 at 11:26 AM
Edited by Tom638 on Jul 28, 2016 at 11:27 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Idiotic request Jul 28, 2016 09:46 AM (Total replies: 11)

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Is it legal to share a .exe?

I sincerely hope so?

Halo CE General Discussion » Idiotic request Jul 28, 2016 09:32 AM (Total replies: 11)

Don't know how, but the haloce.exe is mysteriously missing from my halo custom edition folder. I have no idea how it happened but I am making the assumption that my antivirus is to blame for flagging halo as a false-positive virus.

No, it's not in my recycle bin folder and cannot be undone (as far as I'm aware)

So I guess I am asking if someone would please be generous enough to share their haloce.exe file or point me in the right direction? I just don't want to reinstall halo as that takes time and effort and could overwrite my tags.

Side note: I haven't been on this forum for roughly a year and nothing's changed. Troll posts and pointless hate messages are still rife. That's why i like this place. SPV3's been released though, which is a pretty cool achievement in my opinion, even though it no longer works at all for some weird reason on my laptop.

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 20, 2015 05:42 AM (Total replies: 29)

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
I always liked that in H4 the jackals could use concussion rifles with 2 hands. I wish we saw more of that. I'd do it in SPV3, but we already have the brute shot.

I tried that it one of my testing maps for ce, but they simply aren't threatening enough without headshot protection or grenades.

Also, I never thought it was a good idea to give a grunt or jackal any two-handed weapon save for the fuel rod gun, it just doesn't look or play as good IMO.
Quote: --- Original message by: rododoonceagain
Like skirmishers...?

No, like actual jackals. Skirmishers behave in a completely different way to jackals and have different weaknesses, so i don't like to think of them as 'jackal' ranks. Also, the elites in reach were fast enough, the skirmishers didn't really need to be there at all.
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 20, 2015 at 05:45 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 19, 2015 04:23 PM (Total replies: 29)

If i could model well, i would change it. But the whole idea of the two backpacks, dual colour scheme thing was for them not to look like recoloured ultras whilst making them look threatening. This is also going off-topic, but i guess it's still partially related to the original idea.

Also, has anyone ever thought of giving jackals more than 3 ranks? I just thought that i haven't seen anyone on hce go beyond the minor-major-sniper ranks. If i remotely cared about jackals and stopped thinking of them as inferior grunts i would give it a try.

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 19, 2015 03:52 PM (Total replies: 29)

I definitely like this purple; it fits pretty well the covenant style, and looks good with the needler.
For the backpack, I'd just go for the one of the grunt ultra/gunner.
And I'd add some misterious (and glowy) forerunner glyph here and there, because of reasons. And, if you could copy the armor from the arm to the leg to give it a bit more protection, that wouldn't hurt, I think.

I could certainly try the glyph stuff, but it would look god-awful because I can't really model and haven't delved into bitmaps. I definitely won't be able to make the leg armour look good.

I don't really want to go for the cylindrical pack because I want it to stand out from regular ultras if possible. Regardless i think i'm probably going to stick with the purple helmet and chest and secondary colour methane pack layout.

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 19, 2015 02:50 PM (Total replies: 29)

well i don't have anything great right now, but i have a screeny of the (wip) deacon.

Sorry for the low quality - it's in sapien.

That's just a prototype - the colour and backpack may change.
Ik that the second part of the backpack isn't the right colour - this was the first screenshot of the first in-game deacon.

I've decided to replace the cylinder tank with the shellback one. Here's the screeny

Shellback version

Rear view. Halo 3 needler = best needler.
I definitely think the shellback looks better

Wow this thread got off topic fast!
Okay to make it a bit more relevant:

Grunt Deacon:

+ Sometimes uses firebomb grenades rather than plasmas.
+ Makes very few tactical errors.
+ Counts as an elite for morale purposes - grunts will flee when it dies and regroup when it is near.
+ Is probably the rarest enemy in my campaign project.
+ Helmet takes multiple shots to destroy and is tougher than a standard ultra's.
+ Can use plasma pistols, needlers, maulers, elite and brute plasma rifles and purifiers.
+ Will very rarely be seen in direct command of a covenant lance (but still subourdinate to elite minors.) Why? Because it's a grunt.
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 19, 2015 at 04:27 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 19, 2015 11:02 AM (Total replies: 29)

Quote: --- Original message by: Tom638
+ Specops can engage active camouflage when they lose shielding.
+ NEW IDEA - Grunts lead by elites will be marginally more accurate and braver.

How the... how would you achieve that?
Specops invisibility is OS actor transformations. (Yes, they work) Grunts tactics is currently a combination of actor variants and scripted transformations, though i plan to make it more efficient.

Quote:
Brutes:
+ Now use firebomb grenades to render them a larger threat in tight areas.
+ Have strong armour but no shields, making the noob combo useless.
+ Are very aggressive and try to get as close as possible.
+ Some will be scripted to berserk when they lose pack members.
+ Are not as accurate as elites or jackals, but have a faster firing rate.
+ Have more health than elites, so lets say an elite has 100 health, a brute will have 150.
+ Are reckless, don't use defensive manoeuvres and have a low grenade evade chance.
+ NEW IDEA - Grunts lead by brutes are marginally more aggressive and may go kamikaze instead of panicking.

I'd give way more than 150 (180 to a minor, 250 to a major), but I like everything
Funnily enough, i changed my mind and changed the hp values to +50 with each rank. Minor = 150 Major = 200 Captain = 250
Quote:
Jackals:
+ Will not flee unless their leader dies or they take heavy damage.
+ Aren't very aggressive and use defensive positions.
+ Utilize overcharge on plasma pistols.
+ Some snipers drop their beam rifles and pull out a plasma pistol if you are too close.

why not?
Is that a question? If so you'll need to be more specific.
Quote:
What armour colour should the grunt deacon and brute ranks be?

I'd go for a dull grey for a brute minor, copper-like color for major and, for the captain, the same red used for stock elites major.
I'll consider those. I like the idea of darker, dull colours.
About deacons... pretty much every color was already picked. Yellow for minors, red for majors, green for gunners, black for specops, white for ultra... I'd go for a bright pink, which fits pretty wel the covenant style. My gun turret is of this color, and it looks rather fine.
I've actually got a deacon colour prototype and i'll add a screenshot later. Don't judge the shaders, they aren't finished.

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Halo 1 had best AI. Halo 2 was a crap shoot and Halo 3 was just too easy at times. Let's forget about Reach and I dont even remember Halo 4 beyond the actual story.

What was so wrong with reach AI? Also i wouldn't really rate Halo 1's AI higher than Halo 2's, i mean, they don't even recognize scenery as cover or search your last position like in Halo 2. They would just stare at your last position hoping you'll come out.

Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
I found Halo Reach Elites to be entirely "not fun", for example.
In Halo 1 they were a challenge, but they ultimately weren't terribly difficult to take out.
In Reach, they ran around like tap dancers on steroids. Making it harder to line up your shots/stickies. Yes, it was more of a challenge that way. But it was alot less fun. To me at least.

I totally agree that elites were annoying in Halo Reach but their actual AI was definitely superior. They should have been slowed down a lot though. I think Halo 2's elites were the most fun to fight, especially with the rank diversity. I was disappointed that there was barely any tactical differences between ranks in halo reach.
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halonimator's -- Official Thread Sep 19, 2015 07:17 AM (Total replies: 336)

Quote: --- Original message by: Tom638
In comparison, this thread has some random models and 1 ripped H4 smg.

I mean you know something's wrong when the highlight of a thread is an incomplete toad and people talking about Mexico.
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 18, 2015 at 04:54 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Halonimator
one exeption i have all the most h4 MP bsp's ported to hce...and some hr h3odst firefights.
Edited by Halonimator on Sep 18, 2015 at 08:34 PM

None of which are on this thread?
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 19, 2015 at 07:23 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 19, 2015 07:06 AM (Total replies: 29)

I have listened to you guys and have made the following changes (there are a lot):

Elites:
+ Ultras are still powerful, but are less common on lower difficulties.
+ Specops can engage active camouflage when they lose shielding.
+ NEW IDEA - Grunts lead by elites will be marginally more accurate and braver.

Brutes:
+ Now use firebomb grenades to render them a larger threat in tight areas.
+ Have strong armour but no shields, making the noob combo useless.
+ Are very aggressive and try to get as close as possible.
+ Some will be scripted to berserk when they lose pack members.
+ Are not as accurate as elites or jackals, but have a faster firing rate.
+ Have more health than elites, so lets say an elite has 100 health, a brute will have 150.
+ Are reckless, don't use defensive manoeuvres and have a low grenade evade chance.
+ NEW IDEA - Grunts lead by brutes are marginally more aggressive and may go kamikaze instead of panicking.

Jackals:
+ Will not flee unless their leader dies or they take heavy damage.
+ Aren't very aggressive and use defensive positions.
+ Utilize overcharge on plasma pistols.
+ Some snipers drop their beam rifles and pull out a plasma pistol if you are too close.

Grunts:
+ Specops, ultras and deacons can use secondary fire/overcharge.
+ Specops utilize camouflage when fleeing.
+ Ultras and deacons sometimes use exotic weaponry such as maulers or plasma rifles.
+ Fuel rod guns are only used by heavies or specop grunts, and never more than 2 in a squad.
+ They will sometimes drop two-handed weapons when fleeing.
+ Deacons are the new highest grunt rank. They will usually be part of a high ranking brute or elite's bodyguard and accompanied by grunt specops, heavies or ultras.

Hunters:
+ Do not flinch from anything, literally. Most ping animations are removed because they were ridiculous.
+ H3 ODST gold hunters are back in the game.

Drones:
+ Only have 3 ranks, minor, major and hive leader.
+ ODST style, with hive leaders having shielding and good weaponry.
+ The only real difference between ranks is health and accuracy.

I'll see how this rough guideline goes. I was mostly determined to make brutes and grunts more diverse, but brutes might end up being too difficult.

What armour colour should the grunt deacon and brute ranks be?
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 19, 2015 at 07:13 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halonimator's -- Official Thread Sep 18, 2015 04:51 PM (Total replies: 336)

I don't really think you should start a thread like altearose's when you have barely anything to show. (no offense, but Altearose has a bsp, working map and good quality bipeds)

In comparison, this thread has some random models and 1 ripped H4 smg.

I mean you know something's wrong when the highlight of a thread is an incomplete toad and people talking about Mexico.
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 18, 2015 at 04:54 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Rate a port Sep 18, 2015 04:16 PM (Total replies: 33)

This all looks amazing. Banshee and Phantom are my favourites. It'll be a shame if you release them, because all I'd do with them is make grunt minors pilot them and smash into things.

It's why i love Halo Custom Edition.

Halo CE General Discussion » Balancing it out - AI encounters Sep 18, 2015 04:09 PM (Total replies: 29)

Which halo game do you guys think had the most challenging/balanced AI? The reasons I ask is for a rough guideline of how I should set up AI encounters in my future maps and out of curiosity. Recently I've been told by friends that the maps I make are slightly too hard because of various factors such as:

- Elite ultras being H2 style and insanely overpowered. (Yes, they do pull out energy swords after taking enough damage and survive stickies.)

- Grunts being a bit too trigger happy and throwing grenades like Olympic shot putt athletes. Also my grunt ultras tend to have 100-125 hit-points.

- Jackal snipers with beam rifles. Nuff said.

- Brutes with brute shots are too plentiful.

Please post your thoughts on how to improve this. Don't make this a 343 vs Bungie Halo thread.

Halo CE General Discussion » Extracting OS shaders Sep 18, 2015 10:32 AM (Total replies: 5)

Quote: --- Original message by: SS Flanker
Open Sauce IDE?

It comes with OS but I know alot of the features are WIP.

I only had a quick look, but i don't think there's anything it can do to help me in this situation.

If this is the case for all other alternatives then maybe someone should make an os compatible tag extractor.

Halo CE General Discussion » Extracting OS shaders Sep 18, 2015 09:35 AM (Total replies: 5)

Has anyone got a HEK+ alternative for extracting os shaders/tags? Really frustrating.

A few things:

- Don't try to make me feel bad for ripping. I admit that I am a shameless ripper. If you don't like it, don't post.

- I don't release anything, so the fact that I rip will not harm anyone. I respect people's work and projects.

- I also want this feature so I can learn about OS features and recover things I have deleted from my previous maps.

I apologise if someone has already started a similiar thread.
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 18, 2015 at 09:36 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halonimator's -- Official Thread Sep 18, 2015 07:58 AM (Total replies: 336)

Meh, I would rather stick to H3 and Reach tags rather than 343 ones. Y u no rip those instead?

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
343 didn't do the UI, that was outsourced too. 343 only worked on the gameplay for the H2A MP, while CA did the maps.

And the MP is the thing most people didn't like about H2A. Surprise?

Face it people, 343 didn't do any justice to h2A whatsoever.
Edited by Tom638 on Sep 4, 2015 at 01:39 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » How to stop AI Melee flipping? Aug 14, 2015 06:26 PM (Total replies: 1)

How do you stop AI from flipping each other 180" when attacking in melee?

It simply makes prolonged AI firefights look stupid sometimes.

Halo CE General Discussion » The needler - questions Aug 12, 2015 05:43 AM (Total replies: 15)

The last 2-3 posts have literally nothing to do with my questions...
Why does every post turn into a "I hate H4, this halo is the best halo" thread

I'll try unchecking the player physics flag, see if that does anything.

What's the difference between regular and player physics anyway?
Edited by Tom638 on Aug 12, 2015 at 05:47 AM

Time: Tue October 22, 2019 6:08 AM 250 ms.
A Halo Maps Website