A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Dont Cuss
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 16, 2017 02:48 PM
Interests: Camping, Shooting, Cooking.
Your Age: 20
What Games do you play: Halo CE, PlanetSide 2, Skyrim, Minecraft.

Post Statistics
Dont Cuss has contributed to 35 posts out of 464614 total posts (.01%) in 907 days (.04 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

I take it you know how to swap out a texture with guerilla. To test, swap out the elite texture with anything else (a flood texture, marine armor texture, etc).

Once you know that works you will need to extract the necessary textures from the tags directory. you can use either "FiresToolBox - Batch Bitmap Extractor" (which is good at extracting multiple textures but always puts them in the data folder and has no preview of the textures before extraction) or "Halo_Bitmap_Extractor" (which has a nice preview and allows you to extract textures anywhere but you have to extract each texture individually).

You can either paint a texture to look how you want or paint the armor mask to use Halo's armor tint system to get what you want. I know less about the tint system.

Once you have the textures you need, it would be worth using gbx model importer to get the model as well. That way you can can see how the textures are being used by the UVs and allow you to easily preview the new texture as you work.

After that use tool to compile the textures back into tags. If you type "tool" into the commands you will see the "bitmap" and "bitmaps" command to do this.

I have to go now but let me know if you have any specific questions.

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 16, 2017 01:29 PM (Total replies: 35)

Common guys, have a bit of understanding. His logic on the surface is sound. "If a company puts a lot of money into something it should be able to use it how it wants."

However...

Duce,

This is more then just a the little guy versus the big guy conflict. Imagine if Walmart built most of the roads in America. It would be reasonable to allow them to charge a toll on those roads because of the significant investment cost in building the roads. But what if they where allowed to charge trucks that went to Target 6 times as much to drive on the roads in an attempt to drive Target out of business. Or to take it one step further what if they made it so all people with blue eyes had to pay 5 time as much toll when using the roads. Without a rule that allows everyone equal access to the roads this could happen.

The problem is not that we should pay these big companies for providing the infrastructure for the internet. The problem would be allowing them to put arbitrary restriction on specific groups of people or entities.

The truth is not just small companies would suffer. Comcast has their own video streaming service. It is just worse then Netflix in every way. Without neutrality Comcast could throttle Netflix's connection and force you to use their inferior video service.

I understand where you are coming from. I hope that clarifies things more then people calling you a "Retard" just because you do not blindly jump on the band wagon.
Edited by Dont Cuss on Jul 16, 2017 at 01:32 PM
Edited by Dont Cuss on Jul 16, 2017 at 01:32 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » BlueStreak JMS Exporter 1.0.4 Mar 15, 2017 09:20 PM (Total replies: 10)

Is it an inches to centimeters problem. What measurement do you have set as 1 unit?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Limbo Files? Jan 29, 2016 04:55 PM (Total replies: 4)

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Have you tried searching in your virtual store directory?

C:\Users\xxxx\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files (x86)\microsoft games\halo custom edition

You are a life saver

That is exactly where it was.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Limbo Files? Jan 29, 2016 04:46 PM (Total replies: 4)

Ok, when I use admin with sapien the extra files do not show up. Is there a way I can access them?

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Limbo Files? Jan 29, 2016 04:38 PM (Total replies: 4)

Solved!
In virtual store. See below.

Ok I have a crazy problem.

It started off when I needed to build a map bsp with tool but was getting the "MAXIMUM_TAG_FILES_PER_INDEX" error. Because I still wanted the tags to extract files from, I renamed the folder, uninstalled HEK and then reinstalled HEK to get a fresh tag folder.

This worked and I was able to build the map and scenery that goes with it. Midway through I noticed that none of my files or folders were showing up in the explore window. But because the tags where loading fine I thought it might have been a viewer setting that would fix after I restarted my computer.

This was not the case.
1. I checked my "view hidden and system folders". I had it on.
2. I check security settings. I have full access and control to all the folders.
3. I tried copying the folder path that it has in sapien and guerilla. It gave me this error.

4.If I try and drag the files to my desktop from sapien or guerilla it gives me this error.

5. I finally decided to see if it would build into a map. It does!

I can play it with no errors but it does not show up in my map folders.

I normally would just do a hard reset and reinstall halo but I need the map that I worked on because it is for someone else.

Clues
1. I have the OS_ tools and kornman tools but did not use them in this build.
2. Maps that I did not build in this tag folder but have built in earlier versions with tool show up in this limbo zone. These scenarios do NOT open in sapien but they do not have all the tags they need to open.
3. This IS the right directory. If I create a new folder in the sapien open window it DOES show up in the windows explore window.

4. I did a disk clean up and it did not do anything.
5. I cannot find my debug file. Is it called debug? I have not used it in a while.

So my question is, does tool have some sort of memory catch? It seems like all the items in this limbo have been compiled through my tool at some point.
Edited by Dont Cuss on Jan 29, 2016 at 04:51 PM
Edited by Dont Cuss on Jan 29, 2016 at 04:56 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Need somebody for my new custom campaign. Nov 1, 2015 10:33 PM (Total replies: 15)

Quote: --- Original message by: Alex21788
Hi all. I am creating my own custom campaign and it is very early alpha. I have learned my lesson after the disaster of a thread that I put up concerning Project SpearHead. I am working on the script atm, But I a one man show here. I need some bright folks here to help. What I want to do is to create a custom bsp to fit the story and encounters I plan to do. Sadly, I have not got the knowledge to create such a thing. Will anyone volunteer?

I will do it. I need the practice.

Though I need somethings from you.
-A map layout: Make this in paint, paper and take a picture of it, I am not picky.
-A theme: Is this a forerunner planet, covenant world, UNSC military base, ect.
-Encounter descriptions: Will I need big paths for vehicles, tight corners for shotguns, nice long sight lines for sniping, ect.

Get me these things and I should be able to have a draft in a few days (pending nothing comes up).

Edit: A lot of great advice guys but still remember: http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=15269
Edited by Dont Cuss on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:36 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Is this site closing in 2016? Nov 1, 2015 10:25 PM (Total replies: 86)

Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Quote: --- Original message by: PRPatxi
Quote: --- Original message by: DaLode
You are a good man, Dennis.

I second this.

We <3 Dennis

:) agreed

Though if the site is going to go down let me know because a lot of files I do not keep track of because I know I can find them here.

Also if it becomes too expensive to host the files I(we?) can help. I do not support many causes, but Halo CE and this site has given me more then you know.

As for moving sites I do not mind the dated look. I have been apart of other moding forms that have faded away (RIP ModHalo). It is the people that make this a great place to be.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo 5 spartan companies (clan system) Oct 19, 2015 10:06 PM (Total replies: 3)

Do you have to own Halo five to join?

Halo CE General Discussion » An Aesthetics question. Oct 18, 2015 11:29 PM (Total replies: 42)

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Basically this. However I was discussing this with a few lore junkies who basically held the magical key over my head stating that the physical look of the armor doesn't really matter as much simply because of no shields = dead

Well it also makes them super strong and enhances their lighting fast reflexes (more then just there augments) plus the AI interface is a bonus.

As for the torso, if you try to touch you toes wearing a catchers vest this kinda makes sense. Still I get the sentiment.

Halo CE General Discussion » An Aesthetics question. Oct 18, 2015 08:32 PM (Total replies: 42)

I don't care to much for the multiplayer models in Halo 4 but the Master Chief looks great.

He looks like he could walk though a concrete wall.
The Halo 1 has a similar vibe but the suites in Halo 2-3 look closer to body suites to me.

Edit: I think it might be the hard angles they added back in. The Halo 2-3 started to get to "puffy".
Edited by Dont Cuss on Oct 18, 2015 at 08:34 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » (Release) Off Ground v1 Oct 18, 2015 07:50 PM (Total replies: 26)

Quote: --- Original message by: EmmanuelCD

After seeing sbb´s video

http://i.imgur.com/ZcvrP2e.jpg

only that....
Edited by EmmanuelCD on Oct 11, 2015 at 07:01 PM

Link to the video
https://youtu.be/og2KIWWi0bI

Edit: oops I forgot about the form rules. Well just copy and paste it.
Edited by Dont Cuss on Oct 25, 2015 at 06:26 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Boring Threads Oct 18, 2015 07:44 PM (Total replies: 29)

You mean like this one...

JK Yeah not as many projects going on but until they make another modeble Halo for the PC that has AI and custom asset importation I will still be here.

Halo CE General Discussion » Texture extraction Oct 17, 2015 05:12 PM (Total replies: 7)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mootjuh
Did you edit any bitmaps or did you just throw it into an ebgine with PBR?

I had to add a metallic and roughness map but the bitmap is the same. Other then being really low poly The fact that I welded the vertexes together messed with the smoothing groups.

Got a little bit better result from the CMT AR once I got it into Unreal 4.

Still need to mask the ammo display though.
Edited by Dont Cuss on Oct 17, 2015 at 05:13 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Texture extraction Oct 16, 2015 09:28 PM (Total replies: 7)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
if they dont appear there, then run the program on admin mode.
Edited by Kinnet on Oct 16, 2015 at 09:10 PM

Sweet, admin trick got it working.

Did a test on the vanilla AR to convert it to PBR.

Edit: This might be asking for to much, but is there a tool like this that does this for models? Or is the GBX model Converter for Max the best I will find? (It works, just one model at a time.)
Edited by Dont Cuss on Oct 16, 2015 at 09:38 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Texture extraction Oct 16, 2015 07:51 PM (Total replies: 7)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=2027

Thanks Kinnet, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Found this I found this one made by the same guy that worked better on my computer http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?3434-App-Halo-Bitmap-Extractor

Edit BTW, with the first tool where do the extracted textures go when you extract them? It does not have you specify and I could not find them anywhere to save my life.
Edited by Dont Cuss on Oct 16, 2015 at 08:04 PM

The one I remember that I was able to get my brother to play was Tallon IV Overworld RC1.
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=3357
Edited by Dont Cuss on Oct 16, 2015 at 06:21 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Texture extraction Oct 16, 2015 03:39 PM (Total replies: 7)

I have a bunch of tags and I was wondering if there was a tool to get the textures straight out of the BITMAP tags? I have Eschaton, HEK, and Photoshop. Is there a better way then packing them into a blank map and extracting them with Eschaton?

Or is there a way to extract maps into the data folder with the tool? Gosh it has been a while. Thanks in advance.
Edited by Dont Cuss on Oct 16, 2015 at 08:14 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Oct 10, 2015 02:27 PM (Total replies: 14960)

Found one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpsURXZvcsU

It was this guy that I was wondering about.

By the way, thanks for posting wire frame pictures of the high poly. Most people are to scared to show that "ugly" geometry. But I really do learn a lot from it. :)
Edited by Dont Cuss on Oct 10, 2015 at 02:28 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Weapons - Works in Process thread [WIP] Oct 9, 2015 02:44 PM (Total replies: 14960)

Would some one mind linking a tutorial on how to do the griping on the bolt head. I have seen that texturing on a lot of things but have been unable to find a tutorial about it.

Time: Mon September 25, 2017 11:44 PM 344 ms.
A Halo Maps Website