A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Imouto
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 14, 2017 06:35 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:
Waffles B&

Post Statistics
Imouto has contributed to 78 posts out of 463730 total posts (.02%) in 687 days (.11 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » :3 Waffles' WIP/RELEASE thread Jul 14, 2017 06:35 PM (Total replies: 1078)

Ahaha, I dont have much of an issue with the poses. I think a lot of the movement in the pelvis for the chief and marines is a bit exaggerated or just looks silly. Player physics control world movement from globals instead of animation, so the pelvis moving on the chief kinda looks like he's thrusting LOL. And i might tone down the yaw of the pelvis in the run animations, i never liked how it looked.

Halo CE General Discussion » :3 Waffles' WIP/RELEASE thread Jul 14, 2017 04:15 PM (Total replies: 1078)

import stand rifle idle>delete keyframes>setup ik's>animate in like 2 minutes :V

its very linear and simple, though thats kinda what i'm going for. I don't want anything too detailed--because im not gunna redo every single animation.
Edited by Imouto on Jul 14, 2017 at 04:16 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » :3 Waffles' WIP/RELEASE thread Jul 14, 2017 03:02 PM (Total replies: 1078)

i dont believe the lightmapping tools work with maya.

some wip stuff for marines, default reload animations have a lot of clipping and weird limb angles.

The goal was(is) to fix some animations and add support for the rest of the stock weapon types. I already changed pitch and yaw values for aiming and looking, and changed the marine ghost animations to JMM like they should have been in the first place x_x

pssst quick somebody tell slashrat that mental ray does actually work with RTT
Edited by Imouto on Jul 14, 2017 at 03:08 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » :3 Waffles' WIP/RELEASE thread Jul 14, 2017 11:26 AM (Total replies: 1078)

I think i figured out why mental ray was giving black and white spots in bakes, seems like the default sampling method was causing it, because after setting the sampling method to rasterizer/scanline pretty much all of it was gone (granted the baking i did was on tutorial).

read up on texel density and padding and figured out how to get rid of bleeding and how to normalize quality across the lightmap plates. (the UV shell around the teleporter isn't large enough to fit into 1 pixel which is why the light is bleeding at the top and sides)

I dont know if i even want to attempt DLM's anymore, they alter the overall look and quality of the lightmaps so much... you end up with bizarre results in some cases that just make no sense. Angled surfaces dont play very nicely with the normals operations that happen (ground/cliffs), works great with flat surfaces however.

Mental Ray also apparently does not like baking objects too close to the grid in 3ds max??? i seriously hate 3ds max.
Edited by Imouto on Jul 14, 2017 at 02:30 PM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Those elite bipeds... Jul 14, 2017 10:14 AM (Total replies: 3)

Not sure what happened to the OP, but the elite cubemaps are special, they have multiple texture sheets that are switched to depending on the actor variant settings "unit/ forced shader permutation" it selects which cubemap of the 4 in the single texture to use. And below that are the color values the variant uses (change colors).

And i already posted in the other thread how to do color change in photoshop

Use a solid color and use the multipurpose alpha channel as the layers mask, then set the color layer to multiply blend mode. 3 steps at most.

idr if there was a way to force shader permutation in shaders or a biped tag for the cubemaps, if you wanted to just make bipeds certain colors and not AI, you would find the color change source channel for the biped and edit the color change in the biped tag itself. In the Elites case its channel A, so you would add permutations to A in the biped tag.

Edited by Imouto on Jul 14, 2017 at 10:30 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » I have returned Jul 13, 2017 04:49 PM (Total replies: 73)

who

No, it does not exist in stock tags, thats an original work. You would need to contact the person who made it if you could find out who it is--or try looking in the file database http://hce.halomaps.org/

It even states on the page that its in the "fan art" category.
Edited by Imouto on Jul 13, 2017 at 03:28 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Today is Net Neutrality Day Jul 13, 2017 02:52 PM (Total replies: 35)

I saw the notification on discord, idk what i'd do without it at this point now ~-~

Here you go.

https://www.mediafire.com/?yvec0g0vlx6x7zq

You can use Moses' bitmap optimizer/converter to get any texture from halo 1 PC/CE/Xbox bitmap tags(http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=50247 Its part of the refinery upload)

The diffuse textures are recolored by the alpha channel in the multipurpose maps by shaders, and the cubemaps also contribute color to the overall look of the elites ingame.

solid color is multiplied over the alpha channel of the multipurpose map, the result of that is also multiplied over the diffuse. Cubemaps are basically static reflection textures, they are multiplied over the multipurpose maps' blue channel which basically controls how strong or bright the reflective cubemap is.

~dataelite special is the specops/commander bitmap set, while dataelite torso is for the normal elite variants.

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
You can extract bitmaps using Texource for CE tags, or from a PC mapfile using Eschaton.

The bitmap you want is located in characters\elite\elite.bitmap

The elite bitmap is monochrome, a tag function overlays a color mask that changes their appearance ingame depending on their rank. This is done via the Actor Variant and Biped tags, in this case. You can duplicate this effect in Photoshop if you are exporting to another platform, simply add a colormask layer in Photoshop, adjust hue satuation and levels then resave the bitmap.

Wow i havent used eschaton since halo trial days yearrrrrrs ago.

Diffuse bitmaps are not monochrome, UI bitmaps are only even black and white because the xbox actually had a format for it originally which converted to mono.

For PS, use a solid color over the diffuse layer and use the multipurposes alpha as its mask, set the color layer to multiply.

PS the prefix "data" is something done by Moses' tool, idk if you can change it or not but its not like it matters--original texture names are without the data prefix (elite torso.dds)

Edited by Imouto on Jul 13, 2017 at 03:19 PM
Edited by Imouto on Jul 13, 2017 at 04:47 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Moses's Refined Campaign Jul 6, 2017 11:55 AM (Total replies: 40)

Most of this stuff just cannot be fixed, I tried everything i could think of--even doing shaders by hand.

I ended up giving up a long time ago with the same stuff, just not worth the effort and too many walls hit. I still have my original xbox halo, and sat there going through everything side by side trying to "fix" everything and its just not possible unless you modify the ported engine, and i just dont have the knowledge to do so. I love this game but also hate it.

few things i noted when doing my own work...

-hud rendering works differently from the xbox, on the pc when shield takes damage it drains the bar instantly, xbox the end of the shield meter would glow white when hit (possibly either the ui tag got changed or it has something to do with the breaking of some xbox bitmap formats)

-sniper ticks wont render blue properly and instead flash every color in the rainbow when aiming

There was so much i wanted to do with CE but the engine is limited and the port is just bad.
Edited by Imouto on Jul 6, 2017 at 12:26 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Collected tutorials that you guys made Apr 8, 2016 10:18 PM (Total replies: 7)

Too bad I got banned and all my posts are gone on shaders and a bunch of other stuff.

Halo CE General Discussion » Activities Apr 8, 2016 02:06 AM (Total replies: 50)

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
i thought you were cleaning ur room D:

It's an ongoing process
Edited by Imouto on Apr 8, 2016 at 02:47 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Activities Apr 8, 2016 01:38 AM (Total replies: 50)

Been out of the loop for some time, ty.

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Online Apr 8, 2016 01:35 AM (Total replies: 2780)

Quote: --- Original message by: MEGASEAN2812
Sisterly rape

Tell me more

So I'm out of the loop a bit, but from what I can gather, H:O Russian servers went down, doritos fell apart, and now Anvil is the new thingy? And we still aren't close to original content?

Edited by Imouto on Apr 8, 2016 at 01:39 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Activities Apr 8, 2016 01:03 AM (Total replies: 50)

Quote: --- Original message by: Jesse

A real-time tag editor would be godly. Especially for when you repeatedly have to make a small value change in a tag just to test the differences in-game.

And I wish the HUD preview box actually worked in guerilla...
Edited by Jesse on Apr 8, 2016 at 01:02 AM

Runtime-cache-viewer, less gui, more input. The values also don't get saved, but you don't have to re-compile after every change and go ingame to look.

Edited by Imouto on Apr 8, 2016 at 01:32 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Activities Apr 8, 2016 12:50 AM (Total replies: 50)

Cleaning my room

f u locust
Edited by Imouto on Dec 6, 2015 at 11:19 PM
Edited by Imouto on Dec 6, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » :3 Waffles' WIP/RELEASE thread Sep 28, 2015 11:02 AM (Total replies: 1078)

Lots of things affect lightmap creation, tool quality, shader quality, portals, etc. I wouldn't want to have a single cluster and a single lightmap, the quality would end up being horrible.

Halo CE General Discussion » rip hac2 and open sauce Sep 27, 2015 11:31 PM (Total replies: 26)

Quote: --- Original message by: DoodleSama
Does this mean I can safely upgrade to Windows 10 with both HAC2 and OS coexisiting Btcc?

Don't do it, Windows 10 is a mess. Admin/user accounts don't have full permissions, so you randomly can't access folders or files, you can't save to directories. Default browser is now set by windows settings, and it wouldn't even let me choose Chrome. Links in Teamspeak weren't clickable. Random program crashes, where the desktop would decide not to work anymore, so I couldn't use task manager to close offending programs.

Using programs for CE was just a pain. I had to manually set permissions for 3ds max directories, halo directory, photoshop directory. You would think the admin account would have full permissions, but apparently not in Windows 10. I formatted and re-installed windows 7 after the first 2-3 days.
Edited by Imouto on Sep 27, 2015 at 11:32 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » :3 Waffles' WIP/RELEASE thread Sep 27, 2015 11:06 PM (Total replies: 1078)

Quote: --- Original message by: Maniac1000
What tools are you using to unwrap?

Default 3ds max, because of the way the process works, I can't alter the geometry (which is split by tools UV's by the seams it creates). I have been planar mapping sections of cliff and stitching them together manually, and for structures its a bit more simple since tool actually splits by smoothing groups. Thankfully I found the UV grouping thingy, which allows me to group any stitched or altered UV's so they can be packed without splitting up. The most annoying part of the process is the Tool created UV seams, I can't make new seams or break the existing ones without welding the split geometry, and I can't do that because tool won't accept the uv's.

I also can't use Vray or Mental Ray to render. Vray won't render to the lightingmap that the script creates, it just crashes max (tried altering the script, just renders full black). Mental Ray randomly renders chunks of UV's full black, and I can't figure out why. Both MR and Vray support self emitting materials, which would be super friggen helpful, since Halo uses shaders to emit light for radiosity calculation. Scanline takes about 2-3x longer and doesn't give nearly impressive results, and emissive materials are very weak (increasing power too much blows colors out full white, which looks disgusting in lightmaps).
Edited by Imouto on Sep 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM
Edited by Imouto on Sep 27, 2015 at 11:19 PM
Edited by Imouto on Sep 27, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Time: Wed July 26, 2017 8:40 PM 390 ms.
A Halo Maps Website