A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: PermaNull
About Contact
Last Post: Apr 23, 2017 07:54 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
PermaNull has contributed to 14 posts out of 464602 total posts (0.00%) in 758 days (.02 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » Is Project Cartographer Down? Apr 23, 2017 07:54 PM (Total replies: 3)

Quote: --- Original message by: LittleRain
I talked to one of the Devs and he said they were using Photon Networking.
I know that depending on how many concurrent users playing it can cost a pretty penny.
My guess is they didn't pay their bills. If that is the case, only 20 people at a time can play.

https://www.photonengine.com/en/PUN/Pricing#plan-20

I don't know what the hell dev you supposedly talked to, but we most certainly do not use photon.

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » Machinima Help Jun 17, 2016 08:43 AM (Total replies: 11)

You just necro'd a thread from 2008 gg.

Quote: --- Original message by: General_101
Great to see that you are still working on this! I can't thank you enough for fixing up Halo 2 so that we can have fun with it.

I assume that since all third part solutions have to be applied each time the game is launched that you hope to have custom settings saved?

When we introduce the 3rd party 'hacks' as a part of the game through a custom UI we will be saving the settings to our own file.

These things are currently not integrated and it's a long ways out to v0.3 if you read the blog post it'll describe what we've got in the cards and what is currently coming up.

V0.2.1 is the next revision being pushed it will not include the 3rd party hacks or such, but I promise you when the time does come they will not be launched before the game or such... we're talking about full integration into the game.

Here's an example of the UI framework we're working with integrated into the game through some D3D hax.

That's just a demo screen for us to work with and get the UI rendering in general, now once we start integrating FOV control and such you'd basically be able to adjust it at any time while in the game after hitting a specific hotkey.

This is not something you'll be doing outside of the game anymore.

We've been making steady slow progress on project cartographer (The mod which removes XLive and gives an alternative way of playing the game online, due to the fact the official servers are now offline).

With it being slow it's still great progress and we have a lot to come to read about a lot of what's planned I wrote an article on what to expect in the future which hadn't previously been posted here and can be found right here:http://www.h2v.online/2016/05/03/what-to-look-for-in-the-future-of-project-cartographer/

As far as the current progress update and what will be included in v0.2.1 when it launches check it out here: http://www.h2v.online/2016/06/12/progress-update-accounts-required-in-v0-2-1/

If you're interested in playing with us at all, and haven't played halo 2 vista before there's an installation guide here: http://www.halo2vista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=3820 which will tell you about how to obtain the game, the necessary updates, and the mod.

Some other questions that aren't covered...

COOP?/Firefight?: We plan on working on it, it's just not in the cards for the road to v0.3.

Editing kit/New tools?: Again planned but not in the cards right now as it doesn't align with our current development goals, we'd love to introduce new tools and resolve some of the limitations and restrictions moders have.

DSFix, "Mouse Thingy", etc 3rd party hacks
A lot of these will no longer be needed by the time we reach v0.3 or v0.3.1 as we plan to integrate a lot of the functionality they have into the mod so that it's an all in one solution, meaning you'll have the ability to adjust your FOV or disable/enable mouse acceleration from within the game along with choose custom resolutions.

HD Textures? MCC H2A Models?: There's multiple people who have approached the idea but there's nothing solid yet... it's highly possible and can be done but it's also not of priority for our team on the road to v0.3
Edited by PermaNull on Jun 12, 2016 at 08:47 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: Twinreaper
I'm just not sure of the path this is taking. Why such a strong push for force loading multiplayer in a campaign environment? Even the progress that was made in the form of multiplayer AI is about a 1/32nd of what CE achieved. WITHOUT the ability to produce actual custom maps with full shared extracted or compiled resources, nothing will get done.

It's not a simple as just pointing to a resource directory, and using a hook to search and load that tag or dependent data. If that were the case, we would have made full Firefight style maps years ago.

Bonus Questikn: Why such a strong focus on bringing co op anyway? After nearly 15 years...playing Halo 2 campaign regardless of elementary tweaking, is very stale and quite pointless in my opinion. If people really really wanted to play H2 co op, they could do so in less time and less frustration by buying an Xbox Gen 1, and using Tunggle or Xlink.

From what I re-call the original xbox did not have system link co-op for starters....

2nd I don't plan to compare myself or this project to anything accomplished for CE and others should do the same, as we're no where near as large of a community or team working on this... We ( by that I mean me and anyone who was simply doing memory edits to 'fix' or 'break' the things we're doing which is what I understand ) lack the experience of the engine and previous to this point I had not worked on anything this deeply in halo which is why I will not be focusing on tags/mods/etc because I simply don't know how that stuff works and don't care to go that deeply into it.

You have to understand my position here was that I did not play the game and was not hardcore into reviving it, it was requested of me due to people knowing that I had the knowledge to at least figure that much out, So I did so and had some of my own fun in regards to creating stupid game types like GunGame because it was expansions to the engine and fun small projects I could do.

The community 'grew' slightly around the project and one of the things that was asked of me was to look into fixing the issues with current co-op hacks, so I took a few hours and did so when not working on the other portions of this 'mod'... The main goal of this mod currently is to simply restore multiplayer not necessarily make the game any better and that's what it was when it started as well.

Why? Because I personally didn't play PC enough to care about it being any better I was a 'console fag' I loved halo 2 on the xbox I enjoyed endless hours of it and that's about all this gives me is the nostalgia of what I knew... I never cared about AI in MP or firefight or etc when I played on xbox I just loved the competitive game play, and there's tons of people complaining about that with vista which I still don't get.

So Supersniper directs some things that he thinks will help 'fix' the game I don't think is broken personally and I offer to insert them into a mod that does nothing more then restore multiplayer through some fancy written network code to surround xliveless.

Now...

Don't get me wrong part of the reason I've open-sourced the mod is that in the hopes someone who is experienced enough with the engine will be willing to put their 2 cents into the mix and do things like firefight.

But currently you've got one guy with 0 motivation to touch co-op,firefight, or etc and just a willingness to look at it due to a few people requesting it.

This kind of thing requires motivation to dedicate the amount of time it takes into perfecting it and it just seems I don't have enough of it to go down the route of tags, in-depth, mods, and editing tools.

I'm willing to re-introduce what was to bring game-play back to where it was such as the alternative game-spy did for halo:ce but beyond that... why would I really want to change much more then the experience I loved and enjoyed in my earlier years?

Things like GunGame appeal to me because it introduces game-modes I never got to play in halo before that I loved in other games...

Though I will admit that the custom maps in halo 2 vista are something that made me enjoy it more I stepped away from halo 2 xbox before any real custom maps with custom BSP were being accomplished.

The problem is I'm not as bored of what's there and what's limited as everyone else is on PC because for me all of the custom content is still completely new content to me, I've never had the chance to play any of it or enjoy it.

So those limitations or lack of tools aren't very limiting or lacking for myself at the moment.

Don't get me wrong though nothing I've said is me saying I won't be willing to look into tags or bsps, or whatever else needs to be done... I'm just saying with my lack of motivation or help from the community who understands such in doing so. It's going to be quite the difficult and almost impossible process.

I am not a halo modder, I do not understand the tag data and I do not know the limitations behind any of these things... I know assembly, and I know C among other things beyond that I don't even know how half the mods that are done are done, early on I requested help from a few people who were interested in modding halo 2 previously and do understand these things but all of that led to just being told they weren't interested anymore or that there was no point to continue forward.

If that's the attitude anyone who actually wants progress has towards things how do you expect those things to ever be achieved?, Simply put you don't you've all got such a negative view on it that you're bringing down any potential progress with you because there are new people coming into this game who may have experience to make things possible that weren't before with just a guide in the right direction or some of the research you've conducted... which may lead to you asking why don't they do the research them selves if they have that experience? simply put lack of motivation as I've said it already...

I'm not going to put additional time into exploring something I frankly don't care about but if you make my life easier and give some research, guidance, direction in the matter as far as how something works or what you're looking for and I don't feel like it's going to end up in a mess maybe I'd be willing to put some actual time into it knowing that someone else actually cares... at the moment the reason my focus on co-op even happened was because people who wanted co-op to work had actually sat down with me and said hey "I made this tool, and it made co-op work a bit", "Here's my offsets", "Here's how it works","Here's some ideas","Here's what's wrong."....

While I myself had no cares in the world about it these people's dedication gave me the slightest bit of motivation to actually make it work because they had already put in some time of their own and they were still ambitious to move forward and still to this day would try to make it work even without my help... not being pessimistic saying the game is dead or there's things missing or it's too locked so they don't want to try at all not trying at all is a great way to never get anything done.

I guess my point is that I'd like if some of you 'moders' who are mad about tools being locked, or things not existing would be less pessimistic and more opportunistic taking advantage of the fact there's a new player in the scene who has the experience to reverse engineer key points of the engine that no one else was willing to do before who had the experience... instead of whining about what is currently being worked on or why and how it doesn't actually improve game-play in your opinion if you truly believe that and you care help do something about it!

In-fact I was considering trying to find someone to help make custom maps specifically for the purposes of gun-game and zombies once we were at a completely stable point with those because I thought it would offer an amazing experience, and on the flip side some people can't enjoy what they have available to them... I'm trying to enjoy the experience I'm able to have and offer an alternative one to people it may not be AI but it's certainly different and while some people's opinion is that it's not improving the game... that's still opinion, don't get me wrong I don't feel as if co-op improves game play at all but a lot of people seem to want it so who am I to not at the very least look into it?

Edited by PermaNull on Feb 23, 2016 at 02:36 PM

Breaking this down...

Currently there's still tons of ground work which needs to be solved in the current state of things I won't go into very much detail on such but it's mostly bug fixing and improving what's already possible.

Now onto the other stuff,
- Option to choose between LAN & Online play :
PLANNED - It's an easy fix and I'm not thinking of using a launcher to do it, I'm contemplating replacing the mainmenu with a custom one.

- Fix the bad game options (Control schemes & Video settings) :
Some of this can be fixed, and will be fixed other things are well just not that easy, and might be a down the road thing but ultimately some of it is planned and will be supported by the custom Menu mentioned above.

- Add support for borderless windowed mode :
Again setting in custom menu.

- Let us change the FOV :
Setting in custom menu

-- Bring the Example map in the map list :
Maps will eventually be made to download over LAN as they did over live, and we will remove the custom map limit as well.

- Support for ranking :
Planned with better support then before considering all servers will be running it and it won't be a special patch, because we will offer the only way to be online.

- Make coop work (Campaign & Firefight like experience) :
There's been some work done on it...

Map loading hook
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/blob/master/H2MOD.cpp#L198

Quarantine Zone Check
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/blob/master/H2MOD.cpp#L235

Player respawn fix:
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/blob/master/H2MOD.cpp#L283
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/blob/master/H2MOD.cpp#L292

- Let us have the dev console in SP :
Sure some sort of dev console is possible, but it's a matter of what options there really are to give it...

- Improve modding possibilities :
This is more far fetched... I don't involve myself in the file formats, tags, or model types, collision, model formats or etc... I'm just interested in reversing the engine's core functionality.

And so far I've barely even done that the more of the reversing I did was against Games for Windows Live which seems to be the big miss-conception here... this isn't just a halo 2 mod... what I did enables 3rd party non-live Online play via LAN for ANY GFWL game in theory.

GunGame was a halo2 thing however.

Now for the sci-fi suggestions :

Some of these are also planned..

- Split-screen mode support :
Unlikely due to lack of my own interest.

- Add matchmaking support :
Very likely as the population grows.

- Friendlist support :
Already possible and does not require extensive reverse engineering just UI code and our own backend DB to support the friends B.S.

- Direct connect support :
Required for matchmaking.

FPS Limit Increase

This will not happen any time soon if at all, we'll be capping to 60fps so that newer monitors don't get the 'slow motion' issue.
Edited by PermaNull on Feb 22, 2016 at 04:40 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: sparky
Alright, so is this an accurate and brief statement?

Quote: In October of 2015, Microsoft suddenly ceased hosting their master server lobby for Halo 2 Vista. Several attempts were made to contact Microsoft about this problem, but correspondence was apparently ignored and unreturned by Microsoft.

Supersniper would be the best one to tell you the exact date, but I would assume that's a reasonable statement to make.

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Quote: --- Original message by: PermaNull
Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899
how far are you willing to go with this just asking?

However far the community is willing to take me,
The restored multiplayer already works and it works great as well.

The only things missing currently are latency and map downloading for custom maps in terms of the multiplayer game-play that did exist.

I do have plans to re-implement the ranks that were previously there by previous modders now that at this point ALL servers running would support it.

Beyond that...
I've done work further then just the normal "Get multiplayer working" in order to expand the functionality of the game.

https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/commit/14afa84310b684abf01439f9155c3fed109af3c7

So my question is what is it you're looking for?

Ftfy.

I've been spoiled by updated forums which auto-parse links it would seem.

Quote: --- Original message by: DOOM899
how far are you willing to go with this just asking?

However far the community is willing to take me,
The restored multiplayer already works and it works great as well.

The only things missing currently are latency and map downloading for custom maps in terms of the multiplayer game-play that did exist.

I do have plans to re-implement the ranks that were previously there by previous modders now that at this point ALL servers running would support it.

Beyond that...
I've done work further then just the normal "Get multiplayer working" in order to expand the functionality of the game.

https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer/commit/14afa84310b684abf01439f9155c3fed109af3c7

So my question is what is it you're looking for?
Edited by PermaNull on Feb 21, 2016 at 04:17 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: ThatGuyWhoLikesCats
This project is now open source if anyone is interested,
https://gitlab.com/PermaNull/cartographer

It's also got it's own homepage now:
http://www.h2v.online/

ftfy

Huh?
FTFY
Acronym for "fixed that for you."
Often used sarcastically - not to fix an honest mistake, but to sarcastically disagree with someone.
Person A:
"One Direction is awesome."
Person B:
"One Direction is terrible. <-- FTFY."

A simple Urban Dictionary search can help a lot

The confusion wasn't the lack of understanding of FTFY I did find the meaning on urban dictionary...

I just see no changes in your post to mine so how does it make sense?

ftfy

Huh?

Edited by PermaNull on Feb 21, 2016 at 04:17 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, this project made major way and it was functioning fine and I managed to add gun-game and a few other things.

There's still major potential and plenty of way to go, the source code has been at this point released publicly but there's no officially deployed server yet and no launcher or any easy way to make this work for the public.

I hope to have something to get a community together in the coming weeks, ideally I'd like to some how have multiple 'master' servers which allow for translation of XNADDR to secure addr and vice versa due to the fact any latency here can prevent an person from being able to connect to another and etc.

So if we're able to host this on a 'cloud' of some sort it may actually be really reliable, I'm going to try looking into going that route.

----
As far as fixes, I have no idea I'm personally not aware of a lot of the issues people originally experience in H2V I simply decided to re-write LAN support into XLiveless and reverse engineered a bit of how halo 2 operated in terms of using the LAN Support and the security behind it.

I.E. You cannot connect with a direct XNADDR you have to use a secure addr or the connection requests will be rejected.

I've done quite a bit of research into that and also reversed a bit of the scripting functions allowing me to control things like the weapon which a player is currently holding, I had planned on doing more but I just don't have the time.
Edited by PermaNull on Feb 11, 2016 at 03:58 AM

So,
I noticed the browser list for Halo2 went down and it finally gave me motivation to work on a project so I embarked on the journey of completely emulating the LAN system for XLive and adding internet support.

Along with this I've reverse engineered a ton of the halo2 engine and there are tons of possibilities here I'm just trying to gauge interest in the game to see how much time I really want to spend on this.

I may just be wasting my time working on a dead game no one wants to play anymore, or I could be reviving it from the dead and giving us all some good times again.

I posted a bit about my progress on halo2vista.

Time: Mon November 20, 2017 10:33 AM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website