A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: gabrieloup
About Contact
Last Post: Jan 24, 2017 04:54 PM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
gabrieloup has contributed to 40 posts out of 468641 total posts (.01%) in 1,097 days (.04 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

Quote: --- Original message by: StormUndBlackbird
I had a plan for such kind of machinima once, but YouTube kept throwing peanuts at me for excessive copyright usage as I progressed with the scenes.

goodbye submarine

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/001/053/557/7a5.jpg

...I don't see how that could affect a machinima based on a video game. Otherwise Gamer's Little Playground would be banned from YouTube for eternity and greeted by corporate Satan with his double copyright machineguns.

Quote: --- Original message by: BKTiel
Isn't that Red vs Blue

No, this is Green vs Yellow. Totally different.

Also, this is Patrick.

AND THIS, IS, SPARTA!

"kicks you into a cesspool"

Halo CE General Discussion » Project Warhawk Announcement! Jan 24, 2017 01:00 PM (Total replies: 43)

...Is this actually related to the PS1 game "Warhawk"? Would be cool to fly around and shoot stuff on the Halo CE engine.
(I know it isn't, or at least probably so, or possibly, I dunno, I'm dumb)

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
I stopped reading once I hit "community".

But basically it sounds like you want to make a really long machinima.

Come back to us with a decent script, voice actors, a budget and some doughnuts.

And I'll rally the crew.

There's no "community" in the text. There's me. I'm the community. You're my slaves. I demand you to make a Halo movie right naow or my cats will get bored. Obey me, filthy scum. I'm your master. kthnxbai

The point IS to make a really big machinima. The biggest ever made. 60 hours. If you pause the video, press ALT + F4, look away from the screen for any one moment, you die.

So yeah, I already have the script, it's called "Halo 7 : The Holy War". It's starring Kevin Spacey, Mark Hammil, Beyonce and special guest John Romero as Doomguy, also starring Chuck Norris as Jesus Christ. The budget is $600 million. I bought some chocolate donuts but they're all mine.

Seriously though, did anyone even think about doing such a thing before? Why hasn't this been done before? Gamer's Little Playground did such a thing with Halo Reach Director's Cut (which is basically Halo Reach but with cinematic shots taken with the theater mode). Is there something wrong with filming machinima with Halo CE? Is there a pirate curse? On top of that, there was going to be a Halo 3 movie-esque machinima also similar that was also using the theater mode as base, but it was cancelled and only the first video was released portraying the events in the level "Sierra 117". Can't remember the name though.
Edited by gabrieloup on Jan 24, 2017 at 12:59 PM

I mean, something in the level as this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWYvTeBonRA
I mean, sure, you might say that it looks crude or obviously fan made, but I'm not expecting Michael Bay quality lens flare shots and explosions everywhere. What I mean is that I'm curious if anyone's actually interested in using the Halo Custom Edition engine as a means to make a Halo film.

What would be the vision? Would it introduce cool stuff like a 007-esque opening and flying Covenant skateboards? Would it mix plot elements from the latter Halo games (Covenant betraying themselves, the Gravemind reveal, Cortana being a horny b***h and then dying, Chief getting hunted by the UNSC)? Would it's art style stick to the traditional Bungie style or bring brand new characters and enemy designs? Would it be a serious movie or a rather comedic and satire, to the point of even referencing other games (adding a BFG9000, Master Chief being a badass and ripping covenant to pieces with his bare hands and having propulsion abilities like in Vanquish)? Would it just be a direct recreation of the original Halo plot and graphics but in a cinematic movie format? And how would any potential sequels work? Same engine? Different one?

I'm not asking for a request. If I REALLY wanted a Halo movie, I'd rather do it all myself (although my computer screen is barely 720p, and it would be cool to see the whole movie be 1080p, or better yet, 4K if that's even possible). I don't have the time for it, and on top of that I think there's already enough "Halo The Movie" YouTube videos already, and maybe branching a different path will probably lead a lot of people to be disappointed. I mean, I can imagine people getting pissed off at seeing a Halo movie that's more comedic, satirical, outlandish and over-the-top than a realistic sci-fi war movie and sending me hate and death mails. But I'm curious what you people (who are reading this, duh) think about it. Would you rather have a Halo movie that's 1/1 accurate or something that takes the Halo story formula and jokes around it as self-reference (like the original Ratchet and Clank games, or Portal, or Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon)?

Do you think a Halo fan movie would be cool to see in the Halo CE engine? If so, why? And what style do you think it should stick to?

For those with "TL;DR" syndrome : This is meant to be a discussion board about the idea, nothing more. Not an "I have an idea yet I want other people to do it" thread. I wouldn't be dumb to write one of those since we all know that never works. What I'm saying is that I'm curious what you guys think about the idea of if a Halo fan film would be cool to see on the Halo CE engine, what would be it's style, and if the idea is total dumb, suggest something else and explain why.
Edited by gabrieloup on Jan 24, 2017 at 12:44 PM

Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
Quote: --- Original message by: Spartan314
Cool, so when are you going to begin work on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZiPonGCJs

I didn't make this thread so that I could magically just summon a team of expert coders from hell to make the greatest mod ever made. I just made this so that I could MAYBE get up my arse and then start doing something and give myself a reason to. If people like the idea then I could start working on this myself, and THEN ask for help when I've got something proper to show. I'm either going to start on making a Brutal Halo mod, or else a Halo movie using the original engine as a cutscene factory, spam Reach tags and add Halo 2 and 3 plot elements to it while still maintaining the Halo 1 story structure. No "The Ark", no sequels, nothing like that. Just one film centered on the Halo structure as if it were the only structure ever made, and then it's finished. And that would still take some time to work out.

Quote: --- Original message by: HyperAlex

None of this is feasible inside the vanilla Halo engine.
Edited by HyperAlex on Aug 3, 2016 at 02:01 PM
Edited by HyperAlex on Aug 3, 2016 at 03:34 PM

Really? SOI is here to prove you wrong.

So, almost a year has passed after that lame first concept idea. Cool! Time flies and people mature. So, I have some new ideas instead. What if Halo was as hard as Dark Souls? What if Halo had gameplay elements of F.E.A.R (Japanese Horror mixed with 'Murican Hollywood Action complete with Michael Bay explosions and Matrix slow motion) and Brutal Doom (Decapitation, kicking, slaughtering the Covenant with better weapons and smarter allies)? That's where Brutal Halo comes in

-Let me make this clear : NO CHANGES IN VISUALS OR BITMAPS OR ANYTHING. The mod ONLY changes gameplay aspects and minor visual aspects. This is not SPV3 or SOI's Singleplayer Adventure. If you want graphics, play those with OpenSauce or just get Halo Anniversary/Halo MCC and LEAVE THIS THREAD! If you want better gameplay, stay here and read more.

-There's no more Easy, Normal or Heroic difficulties. That's gone. All difficulties have the same stats as Legendary as before, if not worse (harder). Difficulties would be named Noble, Legendary, Mythic and Spartan. The only difference between Spartan and lower difficulties is what types of enemies you'll find and how many. You're just picking your poison.

-With the above being said, the mod would actually include it's own UI, complete with metal Halo music renditions. The UI would be almost the same as the original Halo's UI, except that there's decapitated bodies and blood and gore all over in space (like Quake 4's intro), and feature new map pictures and shenanigans.

-Grunts, Elites and Jackals can be dismembered, just like the Flood. However, it's not complete decapitation because of script errors and some unrealistic problems that can be caused as well because of how the Halo engine works. Mostly it's going to be both arms and one leg. Because, otherwise, you'd be able to shoot off an Elite's head clean off and he'd still run at you with no problems, or shoot off both legs of a Grunt and he being able to "float" around, still shooting at you. And if the engine allows it, Grunt methane tanks would also be destroyable. This feature would allow you to "disarm" (hah, no pun intended) enemies, in such a way that you can remove their weapons without killing them. Pacifist Halo players, your dream has come true.

-All Marines are replaced with Spartans. They share the same abilities than you, and they actually act just like you. For the first time in the Halo series, you'll actually enjoy the company of competent friendlies, rather than headless bots that you would usually use as bait, or kill them for fun and for their weapons. Their AI is ridiculously enhanced and they all play like MLG pros.

-Each difficulty affects what enemies spawn in the map. Each difficulty only spawns ONE class of Covenant per species. Which means, if you pick the Spartan difficulty, ALL ELITES are Sworded Stealth Elites, ALL GRUNTS are Spec Ops Grunts and ALL Jackals are Major Jackals.

-You can pick 3 weapons at a time. A multi-million combat cyborg of the pinnacle of human technology should be able to carry more than just one pistol and one plasma pistol at at time. A real human can hold AT LEAST 50 pounds of equipment. This also makes the gameplay faster and more interesting, while still balancing everything.

-The Needler is removed completely. Not because it makes the game harder, it makes the game easier. Not to mention that I want to stick to my mentality that all Covenant weapons SHOULD NOT be reloadable.

-All weapons that use batteries can overcharge quicker and cooldown times are doubled. All reloads also take double the amount of time to reload.

-When pressing the flashlight button, the game goes into slow motion. Pressing it again turns the speed back to normal. If that doesn't work because of some engine limitation, then make Chief run faster for a short period of time each time you press the flashlight key button, and then have it do a recharge sequence so the speed boost is used again. The latter wouldn't be sprinting since it would actually drop a speed powerup which would make the player move faster in ANY direction and maybe even jump higher, like an adrenaline injection.

-Assault Rifle is replaced by an enhanced version of itself, capable of shooting the same bullets as the Magnum and even capable of having a zoom mode. It holds 40 bullets. However, it's only capable of burst firing and it's accuracy is extremely poor at anything past 100 meters. Think of it like a 40 bullet pistol with an Assault Rifle skin. The reticle of the enhanced Assault Rifle is the Pistol's reticle. Only capable of 2x Zoom and has the same accuracy as the Pistol. It is powerful and it fits it's role of "Assault Rifle" in a way the original would NEVER compare to, but it still doesn't dethrone the Sniper Rifle in accuracy and nor does it make the Shotgun irrelevant at CQB.

-Pistol is gone. All instances of the Pistol are replaced with the Shotgun. That means, every character who wielded a Pistol now wears a Shotgun. Every place you'd pickup a Pistol or Pistol Ammo are replaced with a Shotgun and Shotgun Ammo. It has some better accuracy (actually able to hit the side of a barn at 50 meters). For the sake of it, the Shotgun's reticle is replaced with the Assault Rifle Reticle. Because who doesn't love some minor changes.

-Which means, the Flamethrower and Fuel Cans replace every instance of the Shotgun. That is, you'll find it as soon as you head in the 343 Guilty Spark level. Kill the Flood with fire. KILL IT WITH FIYA, TRUE FIYA POWA! The way it's used is completely unchanged from Halo PC's multiplayer. It uses the Shotgun Reticle, as usual.

-The Sniper Rifle holds 6 bullets per clip instead of 4. No additional changes.

-The Rocket Launcher is, erm, cool enough bro. No need for changes here, except that maybe the Rocket should fly a bit faster I guess? -The Plasma Pistol is reimagined from it's Halo Beta counterpart. It works like the Plasma Rifle, except that it shoots Plasma Pistol rounds. Which means, it's Charge function is gone and it's an automatic weapon. All Elites love this. If playing on Spartan (due that ALL elites being replaced as Sword wielding ones), all Flood Elites use this instead.

-The Plasma Rifle is the Covenant's idea (and bad joke) of a DMR mixed with a Spartan Laser shooting Plasma Rifle rounds. It works just like the Plasma Pistol in all Halo games, so now it's a single-shot weapon with a Charge function, the latter working just like the Plasma Pistol with no changes on that. It's also zoomable, and in fact, uses the same zoom function as the Sniper Rifle. Incredible accuracy. All Jackals use this.

-The Fuel Rod Gun can be dropped and used by the player. Does not use a zoom mode and works just like in Halo PC's multiplayer. All Grunts use this. Yeah, now you'll learn to FEAR GRUNTS.

-All Warthogs are replaced with Rocket Warthogs from Halo PC's Multiplayer.

-The Banshee could actually use some tweaks in such that it actually feels like an aircraft rather than a flying car. It should fly faster, hit harder and have more accuracy. No other changes.

-The Ghost should be even faster than in the original game. As a matter of fact, I think it should be as fast as Sonic. It should empower the player when using it, rather than making the player feel as if it's wearing ice skates with twin guns attached to them. Also, it should fire Needler rounds instead of Plasma rounds.

-The Covenant turrets (I forgot their name) should fire Charged Plasma Pistol rounds each time the trigger is held.

-No other changes for every other vehicle, which means the Scorpion works just like it did in the original game. -Music is frequently changed with fan remixes. Metal and rock remixes, first and foremost.

-All sounds are changed with Halo 2, 3, ODST and Reach equivalents. Halo 3 footstep sounds, Halo Reach gun sounds, Halo too enemy sounds (Covenant speak master English), Halo 3 ODST misc sounds (having low health makes Chief breathe in and out heavily as if he's about to have a heart attack) and Halo too for everything else missing.

-No other further changes to the entire game apart from these ones.
Edited by gabrieloup on Aug 3, 2016 at 01:50 PM
Edited by gabrieloup on Aug 3, 2016 at 01:54 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure Jul 1, 2016 07:45 AM (Total replies: 246)

Finally. After 200 replies of swearing, crying and confusion all over the place, the mod is actually done, for a change. Don't care about the D40 boss' cr*ppy animations, at least he's actually beatable without frustration involved and that's a good price to pay for. I'll restart my Halo SSA YouTube playthrough from the start, this time on Legendary, a.k.a the way the game's meant to be played. Can't see any room for improvement now. Really, I doubted this mod would ever be complete, given the lamentable state you released it without warning (really, it felt more like a beta than a "finished" product, and I would've been less angry if you released it as a beta and said it was a beta). It's finished.

Now, I wonder if you can release a list of tag space available for each map, just curious to see how much all of this takes in actual scale.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure Jun 22, 2016 02:38 PM (Total replies: 246)

Edited by gabrieloup on Jun 22, 2016 at 02:42 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure Jun 7, 2016 11:52 AM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: SOI_7
I'm 100% sure the last time I checked I was a boy

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 28, 2016 10:25 AM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: Tech
Why doesn't Johnson have armor in his speech? There IS an armored version.

Why does Johnson suddenly loose his armor in the level "Halo" if he had armor during the events of the Pillar of Autumn? As a matter of fact, why there's absolutely 0% armored marines (except for the gunner in the Warthog) in the original "Halo" level if they were ALL armored in the previous level? Consistency, man!

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 27, 2016 10:39 AM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: Tech

Quote: --- Original message by: gabrieloup
Quote: --- Original message by: Crossbow SR

All of ur maps that i test giving me "gathering exception data" i cant play anything......even when i get to some point throws me out i check and re-check but still nothing,dont tell me turn of ur antivirus,and see if that might works,because this is "..."if i let my pc unprotected......thats....anyway how could u be able to play it you only went to some point to take screenshots and came back here to post ur maps,that are unplayble all of them.... u check it urself u see i bet that some errors,and you decide to put us all in line,nothing plays! nothing! you want me draw you that?
Edited by Crossbow SR on May 26, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Yelling + Bad Grammar =/= Solution.
Do the math.

Test out if this is only happening with SOI's map in particular. Try downloading CMT SPV2/ANTRAX maps and see if they cause crashes as well before screaming like a death metal lead singer with bad breath.

You should maybe check if other people are having the same problem before sayings "mod is failure you no test"
I have issues boarding vehicles , but , most other people board perfectly.
Edited by Tech on May 27, 2016 at 02:11 AM

I also have issues with boarding vehicles. But then again, I'm not yelling about it and I did try to research what could be the problem, and I even made a reply about it in this very topic with a possible solution. Again, if people are having such trouble as not even being able to RUN the mod in the first place, they have a BIG problem, and as such, SHOULD, nay, NEED to test out if this also happens in other maps, primarily CMT SPV2. If you can run CMT SPV2 properly BUT can't run SOI's Campaign mod, then you may complain and b**ch about it all day long. Otherwise, wait in line because SOI's having a ton of problems with this mod and the last thing we'd need to turn all of this into a nightmare is when a bunch of uneducated fools start spamming and yelling in incoherent grammar with problems that MAY even be basic problems regarding the user. Please understand what I'm saying.

With that said, I need to remind everyone that Halo PC (and it's later derivative Custom Edition) is an old game (seriously, it's 13 years old!!), and as such, could be starting to be incompatible with some recent computer configurations. I dunno how the community will solve that if there's no source code for Halo 1 (as far as I know) but, again, for the 1.000.000th time : I had multiple laptops and most of them were simply unable to run the game. The first laptop ran the game REALLY WELL at first, but after installing some weird files that came with the Lumoria campaign, the game was UNABLE to run ANY maps AT ALL. Not even a MULTIPLAYER map. SERIOUSLY! And then I tried the EXACT same game installation in another computer, it worked fine and never crashed. And then I reverted the settings of the game in the older laptop and it STILL didn't work, and for some reason, the old laptop refused to install Halo CE 1.10. And now I have a third laptop and it ran the old Halo CE installation with lots of bugs, so I reinstalled everything and it works fine.

I can't stress this out enough : YOU NEED TO BE 100% SURE THAT THE PROBLEMS REGARDING THE MOD ARE PROBLEMS WITH THE MOD ITSELF AND NOT FROM ANYTHING ELSE. I'm sure that there's a problem with vehicle boarding because I researched and then tested everything with lots of different settings, so I KNOW that there's a problem there. But not being able to run the mod AT ALL is very suspicious and NEEDS more researching and testing from the part of the people who are complaining about these kind of problems because it could be a small detail that everyone is forgetting about. Without proper cooperation from the troubled users, this mod will NOT be fixed, period. You can't fix something that isn't seemingly broken. You can only fix a boat when you SEE a hole in the boat. Pinning everything with nails might not even solve the problem, and instead, could make the problem WORSE than it really is.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 26, 2016 03:49 PM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: Crossbow SR

All of ur maps that i test giving me "gathering exception data" i cant play anything......even when i get to some point throws me out i check and re-check but still nothing,dont tell me turn of ur antivirus,and see if that might works,because this is "..."if i let my pc unprotected......thats....anyway how could u be able to play it you only went to some point to take screenshots and came back here to post ur maps,that are unplayble all of them.... u check it urself u see i bet that some errors,and you decide to put us all in line,nothing plays! nothing! you want me draw you that?
Edited by Crossbow SR on May 26, 2016 at 12:01 PM

Yelling + Bad Grammar =/= Solution.
Do the math.

Test out if this is only happening with SOI's map in particular. Try downloading CMT SPV2/ANTRAX maps and see if they cause crashes as well before screaming like a death metal lead singer with bad breath.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 25, 2016 06:12 PM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: EtchyaSketch
Quote: --- Original message by: fried0kra
somehow I'm not able to trigger the event on the first level where you're supposed to shoot missiles or something. Any reason why this is?

You have to be like inside the model for you to get the prompt.

You have to clear the Covenant troops from the lower hangar (you know, when Cortana tells you to "CLEAR OUT THOSE COVENANT!"). If you move directly for the cannons and activate them, the scripts f@*k up and you'll be stuck in an endless cutscene loop with the Phantom blowing up over and over, since the two cutscenes "merge" into each other, and since the script of using the turret is activated, there would be no way to trigger the "objective" to pass on to the next area, so even if the cutscenes weren't a problem, you would still be stuck to the hangar indefinitely. The only fix for this would be making the turret act as a normal "switch" and remove the cutscenes, degrading the overall quality of that amazing scene. You just need to follow Cortana's orders and THEN activate the turret how you wish. As a matter of fact, I think (since I didn't try this) you can move on to the top of the hangar area, kill the enemies below, trigger the cutscene and THEN activate the turret, so the level could be a lot easier even on Legendary, since you would be able to skip the Ranger Elites, Ranger Grunts and Ranger Jackals all-together. If that works, that is. Keep looking for them Covies. If nothing above works, I'd be interested to know about it.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 24, 2016 11:18 AM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: Bungie LLC
I'm going to assume that ripping any of the vehicles (including whatever aircraft that is showcased in the trailer, form what looks to be b40) will cause the model_animations or other assets to break upon extraction, just like with every other vehicle processed by HEK+.

Will you not be releasing any of the raw tags themselves separately? Not to make demands, but this would be preferable to using inefficient tag extractors.

If anything, I think that this is probably the problem with this mod. I wasn't able to vehicle board AT ALL, except with allied Ghosts (when marines enter a Ghost) which the animation triggered after I pressed "Action" to enter the Ghost, and instead of the marine simply getting out of the vehicle, Chief decided to stomp him with his foot, and thankfully neither died or got hurt. Besides this and the D40 boss problem, I see no problems with this mod and it runs flawlessly, without EVER crashing once, even with OpenSauce AND HAC2 simultaneously. Heck, I even tested it with ENB Series and ReShade, and the game STILL didn't crash AND I loaded through the A30 BSP zone. So it's gotta be a problem regarding the exporting of the .map files. Even if that's the problem, I can't bet that the solution above is gonna solve the problem of the A30 BSP loading exception errors. Maybe it could solve other things but who knows. Well, only by trying we'll see.

And as for SOI, I'd like to ask a simple question : how much free tag space is available for each map?

EDIT : I would also like to suggest the replacement of the compass with the thing in the left and right of Chief's HUD in Halo 4 and 5

I dunno but I think it has some more use than a barely working cosmetic compass. I mean, it could be useful for calculating the angle of grenade throws, and more importantly, the angle of AR grenade launcher shots. Either that or remove the N from the compass and put numbers in each little "bar" in the compass to signify angles (for example, when you look all the way up or down, it shows up "90", when you look straight forward, it shows "0" and so on).

Edited by gabrieloup on May 24, 2016 at 04:14 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Best K/D Ratio May 23, 2016 06:42 PM (Total replies: 51)

Let me guess : you committed suicide over and over or you ran over everyone with a Banshee?

LEET MLG SKILLS BRAH

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 21, 2016 08:24 AM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: Mokou Price

This is the best single player remake I had ever play
Improved atmosphere, soundtrack and gameplay experience
I scared shet out when I played c10
But the new campaign part isn't that interesting to play
Like those boss fight, it doesn't work well. They are extremely strong but the health are extremely low. They can kill you with a punch but you can also kill them with two plasma grenades, this doesn't feel like a boss fight.
Also the boss fight of the last level doesn't work at all, it sticks on the floor and you need to help it out by throwing grenades. And it is too weak and small. At least make it looks bigger.
Edited by Mokou Price on May 21, 2016 at 12:44 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
Are Hunters supposed to have so much health? They take so many bullets to kill that I run out of ammo with all weapons I can find nearby.

lol I thought the same thing. Heck, even the Hunters themselves have more health than the actual bosses themselves.

And since I'm posting...

Quote: --- Original message by: Jobalisk

I enjoyed this, but I felt that the extra BSP in A10 was a little out of place. the timing of it could have been better, the transition was wrong.

I'd also like to point out that at the end of the A10 custom BSP in the final cut scene, you can see a second Master Chief in the background.

Edited by Jobalisk on May 21, 2016 at 03:47 AM

Pretend that this "second Master Chief" is Linda.
Edited by gabrieloup on May 21, 2016 at 08:31 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 20, 2016 09:16 PM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: gabrieloup
-snip-

boo
Edited by SOI_7 on May 20, 2016 at 04:58 PM

Now that you explained it all, I understand. Well then, I'm happy for a fixed version at least. Problem is that I'll then have to halt all recordings of the mod until a fixed version is available. At least I'll be able to play it all again on higher difficulties and explore the maps a bit more (since I didn't play Halo 1 for a while now). Already completed the campaign on Normal. Really amazing. The star of the show is the gameplay though, which feels like Halo 4 shooting mixed with Halo 3 physics with Halo 2 enemies. I even found that secret weapon of yours, which I won't say what it is (so that everyone gets spoiled), but it's a really nice gun. Honestly, the maps I preferred the most go in this order (from best to not-so-best) : a30 (gotta love the fact that you put a part of Halo 2's "Delta Halo" mission in one BSP and the best part of Halo 4's "Reclaimer" mission with the end part of Halo 3's "The Storm" in the other BSP), a10 (cool references to the Halo 4 "Dawn" mission), b40 (the BSP of destroying 3 power cores was pretty good), d40 (I'm sure this map will be awesome once it's fixed), a50 (the Drinol fight was a good surprise and the mission's a lot more fun thanks to the upgraded AI and better weapons), b30 (well, it was alright I guess, I expected more like in CMT SPV2, but then again this isn't CMT SPV2, as good and bad as this might sound), c10 (good job with the new triggers), c20 (never found this mission interesting in the first place, but great job with the Flood Juggernaut, which is probably my favorite boss out of the mod, and nice try making the mission a bit more fun with all the new guns and stuff).

The problem with the Locust is that it feels like a Wraith with legs, that's all. Maybe you could've replaced it with a Scarab that circles around the Island, in the water. But then again, maybe. I won't bother any of you anymore on this thread or maybe even the forums since I said what I thought I needed to say and now I'll just leave. Good luck with the fixed versions.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 20, 2016 03:30 PM (Total replies: 246)

Quote: --- Original message by: OctaVinyl
- The maps don't give me any exceptions, except for when I use hac_widescreen 0.

I guess that's why some people are having exceptions and other don't. I have updated the OP so that everyone can know it.

Quote: --- Original message by: Kinnet
yesterday i played d40 and the flood "boss" at the middle of the level was very hard to kill... because he spawned upsidedown and he wouldn't follow you, so i had to push him all the way to the lasser with the brute shot, tookme like 30 mins to do, i don't think thats was the kind of difficulty you were looking on.

No, that's not normal indeed o.o
I guess it's because I have enabled the "can climb any surface" flag in the biped tag. I had to do it because if you don't use it the Flood walks on the ramps without aligning properly with the floor, resulting in a weird floating animation. Unluckily Halo didn't have any quadruped character, so I guess that's something hard-coded. Maybe I'll use some scenery to block the Flood on critical areas, or change the BSP a bit.

And I understand that HUD scaling is a serious issue for most of you. I designed this mod without taking it into account, but I guess it needs to be fixed in a future release. Meanwhile, I suggest you to disable it in OS and/or HAC2.

"SOI's Singleplayer Adventure v2" is officially a thing now
Edited by SOI_7 on May 20, 2016 at 10:46 AM

Since SSA v2 is a thing now, then I'd like to address SOME complaints I had with SSA v1 :

1.Most of the new BSPs in the maps are *cough* atrocious conversions of multiplayer maps. Some of them look REALLY good like the one in A10 for example, but some like in D40 and the "Snow Grove" part at A30 are just lame. The problem with these maps in particular is that they look nothing like Bungie's original work, and transitioning between one BSP to the other is jarring. There should be some level of consistency in every term of the word, including how it transitions, what map it transitions to and how it transits back to the original level. You shouldn't press a switch and instantly black out and then appear somewhere else completely disconnected, and worse yet, you reused some parts of A10 itself as one of the new BSPs, which when I played the map for the first time, I wanted to cringe but I couldn't (since the gameplay is way too satisfying for me to complain).

I was reading through your posts a few weeks ago, one by one, and noticed you said something about converting multiplayer maps into singleplayer portions. Originally, I expected to be the ORIGINAL (you know, Bungie's?) multiplayer maps, not custom ones already available on halomaps. So I'd like to suggest you to re-work all the singleplayer maps from scratch and add portions of the multiplayer maps by Bungie. For example, what about using Timberland and Danger Canyon as A30 BSPs? I bet that riding through Danger Canyon with the Elephant must be a LOT more fun than trying to screw around with the camera so you can see something inside that tiny Snow Grove portion. And finally, you should use the transitions in ways that make more sense. Pressing a switch and then blacking out and then suddenly appear in the middle of a forest DOES NOT MAKE SENSE! Use something like a Blood Gulch teleporter or something. Now THESE would make sense and wouldn't break the immersion. So for these maps, for example, once you complete the original A10 mission, when you get to the Pelican, the mission wouldn't end, and instead, it would lead you to these other maps. For example, You'd go to Danger Canyon first and assault it with an Elephant and destroy the AA gun, and then assault Timberland and take it as the Alpha Base. Otherwise, the concept of having some of the best moments of Halo 4 mixed in the game is REALLY good. On top of that, I noticed that you decided to make Alpha Base (from the Halo: The Flood novel) be part of the story, which I found interesting. You should use more ideas like this next time, combining parts from the other novels and games.

2.Most of the "boss fights" are either infuriatingly easy or infuriatingly clunky. The D40 part with the flood boss thing. I almost wanted to bash my head on the keyboard, but thanks to the intense training of Ninja Gaiden 2, I didn't and I persisted. Thanks, Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja difficulty. It was extremely infuriating to drag the boss around, needing more than 14 grenades to make him FLINCH a nerve in it's AI brain to follow me. The concept of the boss itself, on the other hand, was cool, for having something invincible that can't die unless you drag him into something that can kill the boss (in other words, a PUZZLE! IN HALO!) but it's just poorly coded and the map itself looks as ugly as it could possibly be. The A50 boss was just a huge wall to shoot at. Honestly, the Drinol (dunno if I'm spelling it right) is an interesting boss but I wish he appeared elsewhere, maybe in the same level. For example, what if he had more health and was faster, and spawned in the place of the first pair of hunters (in the gravity lift)? Now THAT would be cool, to have a sort of King Kong fight where you and marines have to deal with a huge creature that kills anything in one hit. Considering the space in that part of the level is huge and there's lots of places to jump, it would be an interesting boss fight since you'd have to use your agility and weapon management to beat him.

The Locust in B30 is pretty pathetic for a boss. He isn't menacing, interesting or even hard or varied in any way. You should just remove him from the mod entirely and free B30's tag space with better stuff.

Honestly, when I played Halo 1 as a kid, I was always shocked there was never a final boss. If you could realize that wish for me somehow, that would be great. What about fighting 343 Guilty Spark right before blowing up the vents? He would SUDDENLY teleport you to somewhere COMPLETELY different (not even inside or NEAR the POA), say, Timberland (Alpha Base, which would've been destroyed with full of dead humans and red gore everywhere), where he gets into a big Mecha suit armed with a REALLY BIG laser cannon (like a huge Sentinel Beam), and then the only weapon that can defeat him would be an infinite-ammo Spartan Laser aimed right at it's back, which would be introduced during the fight and would ONLY be used in that level (that is, it wouldn't appear in any other mission). The boss fight would encourage stealth tactics, since you can't damage him anywhere else. And then, when you destroy his suit, he escapes it before it's destruction and he teleports himself back into the POA, and Cortana would also teleport you back into the POA to destroy the vents. He wouldn't be way too big either, since Guilty Spark would act as the suit's head and the suit shouldn't be so big that you wouldn't call his head as a "head". It shouldn't look like this : http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/7/7b/SuperBattleDroidDetail-SWE.png/revision/latest?cb=20111224211828 but rather like this https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f2/df/78/f2df78c6a2dfe8aebe101186b154be54.jpg

In the end, you should have boss fights in the maps A50, B40, C40 and D40. A50 would be the Drinol (in the gravity lift part, which he would appear instead of two Hunters), B40 would be a Scarab (in the end of B40, which you'd need to use the Hornet, a fight that focuses on vehicle expertise), C40 would be a flood boss or something (can't think of something right now, but maybe a Flood converted Drinol which shoots flood things at you and the only way to kill it is to draw him somewhere?) and D40 would be Guilty Spark. Speaking about flood converted things, what about flood versions of blind wolves?

3.Maybe some changes with the sounds, such as having more Halo 2, 3, 4, ODST, Reach and Wars sounds for enemies, weapons and even misc things such as walking and so on. This is not important, so you should tackle this the last.

I hope I wrote my comment in a coherent manner and I hope I didn't offend anyone. The rest of the mod, like the models, sounds and the gameplay itself, are CRYSTAL PERFECT. In my opinion, I can't see improvement in those departments. The music choice is AMAZING. The models look AWESOME. The gameplay is a DREAM. What's important to change is the map design and some of the AI, and nothing else unless you really feel like there's more to improve. You should try the CMT SPV1 and 2 maps and try some inspiration from there. If you could completely eradicate the "black out teleport" sort of things and do something like in CMT SPV2 where it uses BSP triggers to travel seamlessly from one old BSP to a new BSP, I'd REALLY appreciate it. I hope you understand what I'm saying.

Halo CE General Discussion » [Release] SOI's SIngleplayer Adventure May 20, 2016 08:40 AM (Total replies: 246)

Alright everyone. This thing with exception errors is getting too far for my taste. It's impossible that it's a problem that SOI can solve, and rather I'm starting to fully believe that it's a personal problem that YOU people have. Quit the chatter here. If you're getting random exceptions all the time, SOLVE YOUR GODDAMN PROBLEM YOURSELVES! Even if you're trying to report bugs by repeatedly saying "MY COMPUTAR IZ CRASHING EVERYWEAR!11!1!1", you're not doing much in reality, and rather, you're bound to spread a bad word-of-mouth and cause bigger problems than you think. People will start to think that everyone has this problem, when in fact a REALLY small minority of clueless gamers (thank god) even have it. The mod is fully working for my CRAPPY laptop with an abysmal Intel GPU, which was UNABLE to run GZDOOM, and all the BSPs are perfectly loading, and I NEVER encountered a SINGLE exception error, even while recording with FRAPs. As a matter of fact, I encountered more exception errors playing CMT SPV3 with OpenSauce than anything else. Does that mean I'll harass people because of it?? NO! If NOBODY has a solution to a problem, there isn't a problem in the first place! Move on buddy! I also had many problems regarding exception errors with maps such as the Lumoria campaign, and what I did was reinstall the game and follow instructions in the forums which I researched via Google. Worked perfectly and NEVER crashed again. I didn't harass the Lumoria team because of it and I didn't attempt to have a "YOU NEED TO HEAR THIS" kind of ridiculous, childish attitude. So either solve the problem yourselves or DON'T play this amazing campaign mod. Your choice. Now STOP the discussion of "A30 IS CRASHING AND I DON'T KNOW HOW TO SOLVE THE MISSION!!11!1!" because it makes all of you, supposedly "veteran Halo CE players" look like "foolish CoD noobs". Live up to your names for god's sake. I guarantee you all that you either have a defective Halo Custom Edition installation or you have a computer that's incapable of catering the needs of the aging Halo engine. Or maybe you have both problems. And I also guarantee that SOI will NOT be able to solve your problem, simply because he's not you. More hilarious yet is how people find this mod "hard". Seriously?? Aside of having complaints that "MAI COMPUTAR IZ CRASHENG EVERYWEAR!!11! HELP PLZ!11!", how we have "I CANT NOT FIND THE NEXT OBJECTIVE"? Oh my god. Really? So aside of "gently" asking SOI to basically reprogram everything from scratch so that it suits your crappy setup, you also want him to include waypoints to point EVERY SINGLE OBJECTIVE? Honestly, I found that this mod already HAS too many waypoints already (especially in A30), telling me precisely where to go and what to do, instead of having to figure things out for myself. Goddamn, this forum is full of morally questionable babies. If I see any further comments of exception errors or "I'm getting lost at X map" and I'll burst out laughing out loud. You can all b**ch about how you dislike the mod and how you don't like certain aesthetics and point out bugs, because that's criticism and criticism is always welcome as long as it's constructive and beneficial. Again, this is NOT an OpenSauce mod and if you're going to b**ch all day about that too then you better go away and wait for SPV3. Spamming obnoxious comments will NOT help and it's NOT criticism and it's called flat out IDIOCY. End of discussion. THE END. Capiche?
Edited by gabrieloup on May 20, 2016 at 09:12 AM

Time: Wed April 24, 2019 1:07 AM 218 ms.
A Halo Maps Website