A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Ling Ling Lang
About Contact
Last Post: Jul 21, 2017 07:45 PM
Interests: Scripting
Your Age: 3
What Games do you play: Halo CE, Halo 2 Vista, Halo Online: Communist Edition
Are you finding Ling Ling?

Post Statistics
Ling Ling Lang has contributed to 22 posts out of 463689 total posts (0.00%) in 363 days (.06 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:

No, its not possible at the moment. However, there are people investigating how to put pelicans in the mp, if that's what you're really interested in.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Having trouble editing CE maps Jun 30, 2017 09:27 AM (Total replies: 7)

If its more convenient, scripts for Halo CE can also be found in this github.

Quote: --- Original message by: DeadHamster
So custom maps are made, using Custom Edition tools I would assume, and we only have a few of them as CE maps?

This confuses me.

Most of the maps in 1.5 were designed from the ground up as competitive 2v2 maps in line with Xbox standards. PC was never the target demographic. I'm not sure what's the deal in terms of what's been released by original authors and what not, but stunt_man and friends have Custom Edition versions of the 1.5 maps running on GMYF servers.

Halo CE General Discussion » [BETA RELEASE] Refinery 0.7 Jun 3, 2017 04:24 PM (Total replies: 31)

Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Patronising? I want some actual feedback.

I've only done some minor testing (ripping b30 and a few other levels + viewing some assets in sapien) but everything so far looks awesome. Packaging all your tools together in a repository is a really good idea as well, both for distribution and awareness.

I'm still having the same problems I had with Mozz on W7. I'm not in a protected directory or anything, but I still can't just launch a Python file by double clicking it (it just opens a cmd for a brief second before closing). I can use cmd or a batch file to run Refinery (and your other apps) just fine. Am I missing something obvious?

That sounds awesome! I look forward to its release.

Halo CE General Discussion » Wondering... May 24, 2017 04:27 PM (Total replies: 17)

Or, via the magic of multiple directories, you can create HAC2 and OS versions of Halo so you don't have to deal with pointlessly "uninstalling" stuff.

Halo CE General Discussion » [VIDEO]Scripting Tutorial May 13, 2017 11:36 AM (Total replies: 30)

This is a really good tutorial! I'm sure this'll help a lot of people become .hsc literate much faster than they would be otherwise.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bungie-fying 343i tags May 4, 2017 10:32 AM (Total replies: 14)

Quote: --- Original message by: MatthewDratt
Clean the detail.

This is a key point in general. You can have nice looking things without them having ten thousand pointless little nooks and crannies on their surface, which is frankly just an eyesore and visual noise in an FPS. Bungie excelled in visually designing simple but good looking and informative environments and enemies.

I'm parroting many when I say "less floaty bits" on the Forerunner/Promethean stuff, but its true. Nearly every Bungie era gun had at least some physical grounding in reality and then we have Chief using the force in Halo 4 to reload all of his Promethean weapons. This lack of grounding in reality also extends to many parts of the Promethean enemy design in general though. Something to consider.

In terms of vehicles, many aren't too far from the original design. A lot could be Bungie'fied by, again, simplifying their design just a tad. The Warthog needs the original turret guard/shield, and while I admit that the gas cans, to 343i's credit, are actually a practical detail, I'm not sure they would go with a Bungie Warthog...although that could just stem from my personal taste, so I don't really know.

I guess the alien's anatomical changes go without saying. I think you can still go for Halo 4's "make the aliens more savage looking" design goal even within the framework of Bungie's artistic vision of the Covenant.
Edited by Ling Ling Lang on May 4, 2017 at 10:42 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Wars: Definitive Edition pc Apr 23, 2017 11:13 PM (Total replies: 11)

Quote: --- Original message by: theTeabagger
Is it a fun game especially if you had keyboard and mouse support, or does it have generic feel?

KB&M is pretty good, they have some new stuff like control groups and window select. My biggest complaint so far are the restrictions on key rebindings.

Quote: --- Original message by: Super Flanker
Prolly won't run on my pc anyway. Mb I'll just co-op online minesweeper with tark. :v

Its surprisingly well optimized, and the somewhat flexible graphics/resolution options help performance issues. Honestly, if your PC meets the min specs at all, it'll probably run just fine.

Quote: --- Original message by: OrangeJuice

Sure. Assuming what's left of the ragtag halo2 modding community didn't take the `` 12 years of secrecy`` route. Forcing everybody to constantly have to reverse engineer from absolute zero every time the current "guy working on halo 2 stuff" disappears

... I like it. Would be awesome to make something besides BSPs for halo 2.
(Or .. uh... totally awesome MEK-Enhanced Halo 2 BSPs !)
Edited by OrangeJuice on Apr 6, 2017 at 03:15 AM

Every known significant development in Halo 2 modding is either public knowledge or in a github somewhere, the exception being whatever happened with the "ZTeam tools".

Quote: --- Original message by: MosesofEgypt
Anyway, about the H2EK, I intend to at some point in the future, but it'll basically require me to do what I did with Halo 1 and map out every tag's structures, find out which ones are shared among all of them, put those ones in the shared commons, and figure out how things are different. As an example the header is 80 bytes rather than 64 and the non-filepath strings are now unlimited length rather than 31 char max.

I actually included an empty file in the h2ek folder, but I don't think it got uploaded with the pypi distribution. It's filename was "the stuff in here is a placeholder until i start on the h2 tag set". If enough people actually care about using Mozz for H2 then it'll give me more incentive to do it. As of right now it's one of those "It'd be really cool to do this, but I dont have the time so it's going near the bottom of my mental todo list".

I definitely understand it being a low priority, although the reason the H2EK isn't really "popular" in the first place is because so much of the default toolset is broken, and nobody really wants to fix it because its not popular, ect ect. To be more specific about what's really "needed" in terms of development tools, the iterations of Guerrilla we have do an "ok" job at general editing once you know their quirks, but many other critical tag-based limitations also exist:

Models tags cannot be extracted or directly compiled; at the moment, the only way of creating a new .render_model tag is by "upgrading" gbxmodels with a tool created by Jahrain, found here.

Animation tags cannot be compiled or extracted from cache files.

Sound tags cannot be compiled or extracted from cache files.

Those are just the most critical ones, a quick comparison between tool.exe and H2tool.exe's options should tell you the rest. Implementation of H2V tags in Mozz, or creating any of the above tools in any capacity, would basically guarantee that your tool would be a staple of the H2V mapping community.

Just food for thought.
Edited by Ling Ling Lang on Apr 5, 2017 at 02:53 PM

I often use it for general purpose tag editing, and its most valuable feature by far is import/export. Its saved me unspeakable amounts of time on my current project.

I'm also secretly hoping you expand Mozz to H2V as some of your code suggests. The default H2Guerrilla is garbage and korn's Guerrilla builds have issues or limitations.

Your map might be in a virtualstore directory. For example, if I run Guerrilla on my PC, without administrative rights, and created a new tag, it will be sent to compatibility directory like:

C:\Users\(you)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Halo CE Custom Edition SF\tags

instead of:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Halo CE Custom Edition SF\tags

If I have ANY application that edits stuff in my Program Files directory, I edit its properties to always ask me for administrative rights to run.
Edited by Ling Ling Lang on Feb 25, 2017 at 10:07 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: CHRISPOCALYP5E
So I'm guessing Halo 2 and 3 didn't use the same tools as CE did?

Did any data miners ever find anything by the name 'skull.tag' or are they set up more differently than I imagined...?

Halo 2 uses blamscript (specifically, the function "ice_cream_flavor_stock <long>") to tell the game when a certain skulls properties should be activated. I don't know about 3, and I'm not inclined to believe skulls were ever tag-based, but you're better off asking the console modding scene.

Halo CE General Discussion » [RELEASE] Mozzarilla v0.9.1 Jan 10, 2017 09:51 PM (Total replies: 84)

To fix privilege issues, just go to python35 and require it to run with administrator privileges, THEN run the .bat file inside the Mozzarilla folder.

Quote: --- Original message by: Masters1337
Rather not work on missions difficult for people to play.

We still need ideas for the b30 caryover to b40, so all suggestions welcome still.

B30 and B40 are pretty isolated from each other, so I think the most logical connection is a change in the initial encounter as Foehammer drops you off. The best I've got is storing the combined strength value of surviving Covenant squads at the very end of B30, turning that into some averaged value, and then storing that in your function. Then B40's script extracts that number, and if it meets a certain threshold (determined by difficulty perhaps?), you won't be "followed" to B40. If you didn't kill enough Covies on the island, however, Foehammer is shot at by Banshees, and doesn't give you support with the turret because she's forced to leave. Meanwhile, a Spirit comes in from above, and drops in extra bad guys on the other end of the landing platform.

Additionally, because its possible to create many different thresholds for this, you could scale the difficulty and initial placement of Covies to suit your needs and scale with the accomplishments of the player. So because you nabbed 75% instead of 50% of the covies in B30, the Spirit only produces an elite and a few grunts instead of a hunter pair, stuff like that.
Edited by Ling Ling Lang on Jan 8, 2017 at 12:47 AM

Quote: --- Original message by: Nertez
... what exactly did you even change?

As shown time and time again, OP is incapable of releasing patch notes, so...great question.

Halo 2 Vista General Discussion » Halo 2 Vista Sp balance Pb Nov 20, 2016 10:56 PM (Total replies: 4)

I think this is the first time I've seen a rebalance patch....erm, map, that has absolutely zero patch notes.

Also, the game crashes after Guns dies on Heroic difficulty.

Short answer no.

Infact pretty sure Altis had the same problem and his solution was as you mentioned to restart the pc.

Just out of curiosity have you tried opening the scenerio (and relevant files) with different hard ware components?

Yes, it works just fine on other hardware, although I haven't tested it extensively because I usually lack access to said other hardware.

Again just out of passing interest have you tried any alternatives to vanilla sapien to see if the problem persists? (Ahobo, OS Sapien, DE sapien)

I use korn's guerrilla and sapien quite regularly. It suffers from the same problem. I'm not terribly optimistic, but I will certainly give the variants a try.

You've probably seen this before but I thought I'd repost it incase others hadn't:

"one of the sound tags in that map has a gain over 1. Sapien doesn't like that. Look through the sound tags and see which tag it is."

Now this may sound a little ambitious but I believe it is certainly doable to execute a batch command or even script a bot to manually manipulate every sound tag in your directory and through guerilla set the gain to say 0.05 (for testing purposes) and lastly save out the tag.

How long this would take depends on how optimized the supposed batch script is and of course how many sound files you have in your directory.

Just to clarify this approach is only useful in order to weed out the one or two offending files that may exist, as opposed to taking the time to search through every single sound tag and adjusting the gain value by hand I think you can agree it is moderately sensible if it can be pulled off that is....

I already suspected that maybe HEK+ was botching some extracted tag values like it likes to do with AI grenade velocities, so I tested and manipulated a completely clean install of HEK to try and open tutorial.scenario, but I never managed it. I was only able to open tutorial after restarting my computer.

I've been getting an exception in Sapien that prevents me from actually loading ANY maps. debug.txt tells me that its this:

EXCEPTION halt in \halopc\haloce\source\sound\sound_manager.c,#3304: gain>=0.f && gain<=1

Now please, save yourself the time and energy of coming to the conclusion that there is something actually wrong with a tag. There isn't.

https://www.google.com/#q=+EXCEPTION+halt+in+%5Chalopc%5Chaloce%5Csource%5Csound%5Csound_manager.c%2C%233304:+gain>%3D0.f+%26%26+gain<%3D1

As you can see, many others have encountered the same problem, and no actual purging of sound tags seems to fix anything. Sapien seems to simply crash if ANY sound tag is played, and wonderfully enough, restarting your computer actually fixes the issue for a time. This, however, isn't a great solution for me, as the exception seems to creep back into Sapien after some unspecific but relatively short amount of time. One person resorted to removing every sound tag from his map until right before they compiled, but that honestly seems a little extreme. Does anyone know of a way of correcting this permanently?

Time: Sun July 23, 2017 12:32 PM 266 ms.
A Halo Maps Website