A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: Russian Poot Man
About Contact
Last Post: Nov 2, 2018 07:21 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
Russian Poot Man has contributed to 14 posts out of 467785 total posts (0.00%) in 67 days (.21 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE Technical / Map Design » How do I get a working v1.09? Nov 2, 2018 07:21 AM (Total replies: 1)

Install Halo again, download the 1.09 patch, install that. Keep that Halo in a folder inside your main Halo folder. I had to do this for the recorded animation stuff to work.

http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?fid=4987

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Can't access map saved by tool Oct 27, 2018 08:03 PM (Total replies: 2)

Quote: --- Original message by: KasperZERO
When I run build-cache-file with tool, it saves a .map file but the icon has a small lock over it. I cannot see the file under my normal file explorer but I can see the file when I use Guerilla to open file. Anyone know why this would happen?

Not exactly sure whats happening, but I would make sure your hek tools are set to run as admin, and I would check your program files directory under microsoft games to see if Halo saved any of your stuff there, as this has been an issue for users in the past.

Halo CE General Discussion » Air/Ground Unit Hybrid Oct 25, 2018 04:34 PM (Total replies: 23)

Quote: --- Original message by: SOI_7
Sadly bipeds refuse to walk on walls if they're too big or non-spherical, we had this issue with our Jackal Forms in SPv3 and we had to remove this ability. You could, however, make them stick on strategic walls. And you should definitely switch to the actor_variant transformation system, it could help you save scripts slots.

I've been thinking about upgrading to opensauce. Does the actor_variant transformation system transfer health and shield status? I stopped using object_destroy and started teleporting them, so at least their health wouldn't reset. I could switch back and that would save me scripting time and effort to organize it all.

Halo CE General Discussion » Air/Ground Unit Hybrid Oct 24, 2018 06:18 PM (Total replies: 23)

Thanks, glad people are showing interest. I made an update, but the scripts are getting too long and need to be rewritten again. This is what I meant by the override, the buggers will always want to fly after a second or two in combat, but when both the player and bugger are in the their detect volumes, the bugger might decide to land. He can also choose to fly again. Need to work out some kinks, but some kinks might become a feature.

Edit: The bugger being able to choose flight inside the area its meant to land could actually be helpful in some cases, the bugger could unstick himself or fly to place closer to where he should be. With some adjustments and parameters, this could iron out quite nicely.

I tried making them walk on every surface, but it ended up looking terrible, I think this is a tag issue. I'd like the buggers to walk on walls too. I tried that again when I was filming the vid, but it still didn't really work, but it did help them get over those warthogs. I could try to get that flinging to surface idea working.

I also fixed a collision bug in the flying bugger.

https://youtu.be/dJn4OdFctKY

Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 24, 2018 at 07:58 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Air/Ground Unit Hybrid Oct 23, 2018 11:41 PM (Total replies: 23)

Made an update. I rewrote everything and made it support encounters instead of named objects.

Working on refining and getting the buggers to fly when its best for combat, and also when they want to. Also now their health isn't reset.

https://youtu.be/cZroRr3tdy0

Quote: --- Original message by: Spiral

Quote: --- Original message by: R93_Sniper
Didn't Kirby already do this with some OS work?

Yeah that is what I remembered.
https://youtu.be/iJPHIMENmD4

From what I remember this isn't the latest progress Kirby made. I recall being shown drones that perched on walls and properly ran on the floor during combat when flight wasn't necessary.

Russian Poot Man, good job dude!
Glad to see others are still making interesting posts and works in progress regarding CE.

Edited by Spiral on Oct 23, 2018 at 03:32 AM

Thats cool, thanks for showing. Glad you're interested.

Edit: I've made some updates to this.
Edit2: The update.
https://youtu.be/93k0FrWLS3Q

(script startup spawn
(ai_place bug_ground)
(ai_place bug_fly)
(object_teleport (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) bg1start)
)

(script continuous bug1fly
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_bugvol1 (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))0))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_playervol1 (players))0))
(sleep_until (!= (unit_get_health (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))-1))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects bugoffvol (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))1))
(sleep_until (!= (ai_status bug_ground)1))
(ai_magically_see_players bug_fly)
(sleep 150)
(objects_attach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) "head" (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) "head")
(objects_detach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))
(object_teleport (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) bugoff)
(sleep 150)
)

(script continuous bug1ground
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_bugvol1 (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))0))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_playervol1 (players))0))
(sleep_until (!= (unit_get_health (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))-1))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects bugoffvol (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))1))
(sleep_until (= (ai_status bug_fly)1))
(ai_magically_see_players bug_ground)
(sleep 150)
(objects_attach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) "head" (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) "head")
(objects_detach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))
(object_teleport (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) bugoff)
(sleep 150)
)

(script continuous bug1land1
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_bugvol1 (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)))1))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects land_playervol1 (players))1))
(sleep_until (!= (unit_get_health (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))-1))
(sleep_until (= (volume_test_objects bugoffvol (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))1))
(sleep_until (!= (ai_status bug_fly)1))
(sleep 150)
(objects_attach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) "head" (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)) "head")
(objects_detach (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_ground) 0)))
(object_teleport (unit (list_get (ai_actors bug_fly) 0)) bugoff)
(sleep 150)
)

Now it looks nearly flawless, and the bugger can somewhat land in combat.

Still working on making the bugger land in combat when necessary everywhere, not just rooms. I can make him wait before deciding to fly when in combat, make him decide what to do based on player location, with bigger trigger volumes.

Edit3: I got him to switch during combat. It also looks way better now. Uploading vid.
https://youtu.be/C2A77bIQ_Nk

I found a way of overriding the behavior and giving the AI more of a preference. For example: If the player is in a hard to reach area from above, the bugger may decide to land and go after you on foot. Working on implementing this for the next vid.
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 24, 2018 at 05:00 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Teleport Issue Oct 23, 2018 06:45 PM (Total replies: 0)

edit: nevermind
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 23, 2018 at 09:45 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Air/Ground Unit Hybrid Oct 22, 2018 04:29 PM (Total replies: 23)

Quote: --- Original message by: SOI_7

This is really cool. Did you make this using actor_variant transformations?

P.S. And would you mind telling me where did you get those Bugger animations? The only ones I'm aware of are those from Lumoria
Edited by SOI_7 on Oct 22, 2018 at 06:53 AM

I got the tags from thros's maps. I used default halo and split the bugger into two bipeds, one for the air and ground. I attach and detach them with my primitive scripts when necessary.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lqrOvCajIs
This time I attach them differently, because they were having collision issues before, the tag has some issues, so my attach method now looks worse, but functions as intended. I just threw this together and it worked, it could be vastly improved.

This could look pretty much flawless if the bugger coll was fixed.

Edit: It would be ideal if we could find a way to make the ground bugger fall slower. It's not top priority for me, but it would look better. I want to get the ground bugger to move right, and it has trouble navigating. I feel like this tag could be improved.
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 22, 2018 at 06:08 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » Air/Ground Unit Hybrid Oct 22, 2018 05:36 AM (Total replies: 23)

Made an update. Now the bugger can land. He can switch back and forth whenever now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z3U9JS1eZo

Quote: --- Original message by: The Gravemind
interesting I didn't know that was possible, great job.

Thanks.
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 22, 2018 at 05:36 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Air/Ground Unit Hybrid Oct 21, 2018 07:53 PM (Total replies: 23)

Has anyone done this before? Halo doesn't support characters that can fly and walk, its one or the other, so I made this. Its WIP but I think Halo can support this kind of thing fully with a little work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfXzzaK3HJs

Halo CE General Discussion » AI Sync Idea and Video Oct 15, 2018 02:23 PM (Total replies: 6)

Made another update video. This time slightly improved.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWOB3Yz8gY

Quote: --- Original message by: SBB_Michelle
I've been working on this and should have time soon to work on it again and finally rework it to be better and almost perfect. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8W_NjJ2dzw

I could explain why a lot of the weirdness happens, but it's late and I'm tired. It's all stuff that I'll fix in the recode.

Hope to see it working, good luck.
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 15, 2018 at 02:23 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » AI Sync Idea and Video Oct 14, 2018 01:55 PM (Total replies: 6)

Quote: --- Original message by: lolslayer
Quote: --- Original message by: Russian Poot Man
This kinda works but it would result in a lot of rubber-banding for the AI which doesn't look nice, that's why you sync more than just the position

I edited the main post before I saw your response, I was thinking the same. If you update the rotation, then the locally ran AI attached to the server biped has a greater chance of making the same decision.

Even then you'll get a lot of rubber banding, the server side-AI might have chosen a certain action, while the client-side version still wants to do something else, if that doesn't get synced, both versions will constantly do something else and only align at the moments they sync

That's also true, you have a bunch of other variables like fleeing and berserk, or if the unit is in a vehicle. If somehow object names could be carried over to the client, some of these variables could be accounted for with map scripts.

When I took those variables away, the client side attached AI matched the server very well most of the time. That's why I was curious about the initial simple position update.

EDIT: I discovered more and have a bigger update video in progress. Now I can see my idea in action.

EDIT2: The update. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weRFtIGRMwA
Ignore the laggy sentinel, the client thinks player movement is disabled blah blah it doesn't matter. This time the real position is being updated. The problem now is that the server biped has a big fat player covering part of his body, causing his AI to act differently. The client AI doesn't see this, and seems to have a twitching issue. I know this could be vastly improved.
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 15, 2018 at 12:09 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » AI Sync Idea and Video Oct 13, 2018 06:14 PM (Total replies: 6)

This kinda works but it would result in a lot of rubber-banding for the AI which doesn't look nice, that's why you sync more than just the position

I edited the main post before I saw your response, I was thinking the same. If you update the rotation, then the locally ran AI attached to the server biped has a greater chance of making the same decision.

Halo CE General Discussion » AI Sync Idea and Video Oct 12, 2018 05:26 PM (Total replies: 6)

This is a follow up thread to my post about server side bipeds. There is zero use of client side bipeds in this, meaning no duplicate fake client created objects.

Instead of syncing animation data, why not sync just the position every couple seconds, while the client handles the rest with its own locally ran AI attached to the server biped.

If you update the real position, and maybe the rotation depending on how well it works, of the server biped for clients, the AI can simply try again if the position goes out of sync. That didn't happen in the video, but you know what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il5HNwHa7Ss
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 13, 2018 at 06:12 PM

Halo CE General Discussion » server side biped discovery and question Oct 7, 2018 09:12 AM (Total replies: 0)

so as we know, non-player bipeds do not sync position/rotation/animation/etc, but all biped existence, health, and ping animations are networked. so these server side bipeds the client sees can actually be manipulated, despite them having no object name for the clients. we can possess them and apply the effects to ourselves "ai_attach (unit (list_get (players) 0)) ai_encounter1", and upon returning to our real body, the server side biped will have the effect

my question to all the scripters out there is, would it be possible for clients to name these server side bipeds so they can be manipulated, and have them do all the animation stuff while your scripts update their real position?
Edited by Russian Poot Man on Oct 7, 2018 at 09:38 AM

Time: Wed December 12, 2018 9:51 PM 453 ms.
A Halo Maps Website