A Community discussion forum for Halo Custom Edition, Halo 2 Vista, Portal and Halo Machinima

Home  Search Register  Login Member ListRecent Posts

Viewing User Profile for: bobbysoon
About Contact
Last Post: Mar 15, 2014 09:39 AM
Interests:
Your Age:
What Games do you play:

Post Statistics
bobbysoon has contributed to 1817 posts out of 469494 total posts (.39%) in 4,693 days (.39 posts per day).

20 Most recent posts:
Halo CE General Discussion » Ki11a_FTW's Halo Custom Edition Progress Log. Mar 15, 2014 09:39 AM (Total replies: 444)

I missed it the first time round. Had to read posts to see what was so special about it :/ -jk -
That is cool. I think there should be a flash though when the sword powers up.
If the berserk animation were dropped, it'd almost be like a multiplayer opponent switching weapons.

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicles - Works in Process thread [WIP] Feb 28, 2014 09:55 PM (Total replies: 4974)

Quote: --- Original message by: Dalek
i need to finish it and help for uvw.
Next step is to Render to Texture. I know the basics, but I'm not a guru on it, so you should search for some vids about it. But basically with Render to Texture you add a new uvw map channel for a new texture, unwrap it so all faces fit in the bitmap to be created, and then render old to new.

Halo CE General Discussion » YO I GOT INVISIBLE BSP HELP Feb 12, 2014 05:43 PM (Total replies: 23)

Using index of bsp instead of bsp name? It should be like
tool lightmaps scenarioName bspName 0 0.9

Tool will pretend it's doing something even if it doesn't know what bsp you're talking about. It's afraid you'll think it's stupid.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » Finished PC built! But I need help Feb 9, 2014 06:36 AM (Total replies: 7)

Quote: --- Original message by: Waffles
if its a drive that already has an OS on it, it will not work.
For the record, there are ways to boot into different operating systems. If the drive has only one partition, it could be defragged (to compact it), and then it's free space can be split off to other partitions with a linux live bootable usb (I recommend "LiLo" to make the bootable usb) such as GPartEd. Then you'll have multiple drives on one disk, and can setup a 'multiboot' system.
You should have a fairly clear understanding of multiboot and especially MBR before attempting this though.
Edited by bobbysoon on Feb 9, 2014 at 06:40 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » The strange sealed world rule Feb 9, 2014 06:22 AM (Total replies: 5)

It doesn't all have to be one consecutive sealed element, but those elements should be sealed, and they shouldn't intersect.
A map with a terrain is just one case scenario. Terrain is just a material with a texture. Replace terrain with floor, cliffs with walls, and sky with ceiling, and you get basically the same thing as far as tool is concerned.
It doesn't even have to be inside out. You could have a floating platform, with or without a large inverted +sky sphere or box. (Without means no sky usage, and all lighting must be done with materials.)

A degenerate triangle is a triangle which is a line. Can be hard to find, as it'll look like just another edge. Hide faces around it and you'll be left with a sliver of a triangle.
Open edges means you got holes to patch. Edge mode of editable_mesh hase a Select Open Edges button, and editable_poly has a special edge mode, the 3rd one, and in it selecting all will also select open edges.
Edited by bobbysoon on Feb 9, 2014 at 06:23 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » maxscript: Select Bad UVWs Jan 23, 2014 03:08 AM (Total replies: 2)

actual geometry, of editable meshes or editable polys you have selected. Use it before exporting. If no faces are selected, your UVs should be ok.
Edited by bobbysoon on Jan 23, 2014 at 03:12 AM

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » maxscript: Select Bad UVWs Jan 22, 2014 06:34 PM (Total replies: 2)

Here's a script to select faces with UVW coords which will likely cause lightmapping to fail: badUVW selector.ms
It finds tiny uv edges, <.0001 in length.

Halo CE General Discussion » Vehicles - Works in Process thread [WIP] Jan 22, 2014 01:25 AM (Total replies: 4974)

@killzone64:
"i animated the left one and compiled my animations but it just sits there"
Is unit->weapon->"aiming screen bounds" set in it's anims tag?

"for some reason its firing from the frame intead of primary trigger"
You got a marker named "primary trigger", right? Maybe weapon->trigger flags->"projectile uses weapon origin" is checked and shouldn't be.

"the player doesn't hold on in 1st person"
Look at biped's anim tag->IK->attach to marker. your vehicle should have markers with these names for hands/feet.

Cool model btw,

Quote: --- Original message by: kirby_422
Quote: --- Original message by: altis94
And BlueStreak keeps sphere radius so Kirby is wrooong.

What version? Just because you said that, I had to open up the script I have and check, and nope, it defaults the size to 2.0 on v1.0.1... So, what version are you using that has correct marker scaling?
Choking Victem discovered it. So his and since. v1.0.1 has been superceded. Stop living in the past, Kirby!
before:
marker_count = marker_array.count
format "%\n" marker_count to:jms
for m = 1 to marker_count do (
format "%\n-1\n" (substring marker_array[m].name 2 -1) to:jms
format "%\n" (marker_parent_index[m] - 1) to:jms
format "%\t%\t%\t%\n" marker_rotation[m].x marker_rotation[m].y marker_rotation[m].z marker_rotation[m].w to:jms
format "%\t%\t%\n2.0\n" marker_translation[m].x marker_translation[m].y marker_translation[m].z to:jms
)

after: (modified to work without (unnecessary) prior array setup)
marker_count = marker_array.count
format "%\n" marker_count to:jms
for m = 1 to marker_count do (
format "%\t-1\t" (TrimLeft marker_array[m].name "#") to:jms
format "%\t" (marker_parent_index[m] - 1) to:jms
format "%\t%\t%\t%\t" marker_rotation[m].x marker_rotation[m].y marker_rotation[m].z marker_rotation[m].w to:jms
format "%\t%\t%\t" marker_translation[m].x marker_translation[m].y marker_translation[m].z to:jms
format "%\n" (if isKindOf marker_array[m] Sphere then marker_array[m].radius else 2.0) to:jms -- radius, courtesy of Choking Victem's keen eye
)

altis94's v1.0.1 is like that because I snuck in and modified it a couple weeks ago while he slept. One day every copy of every version of bluestreak will export a proper marker radius value!

Halo CE General Discussion » Dennis this forum needs MOAR avatars Jan 20, 2014 12:31 AM (Total replies: 100)

I made some too.
Fringe, Abe/Munch, The Thing, Prometheus, Robotech, Pan's Labrynth, Frank, Watchmen, a kitten playing with a plasma grenade (I tried, anyway), and a few other randoms.
Edited by bobbysoon on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Bigass Public Beta Jan 19, 2014 01:28 AM (Total replies: 1869)

Puny humans, bickering amongst each other, while we take over their world and enslave them with animosity-inducing videogame features!

Halo CE General Discussion » Halo Dialog Bible [Recruiting] Jan 18, 2014 12:47 AM (Total replies: 45)

This might be good for someone wanting to splice together a custom dialog using the original voices.
Permutations? Does that mean a dialog can be random, and if so can music be random too? Can we has breakbeat ui theme music too :o?

Halo CE General Discussion » xfire adding spree! Jan 17, 2014 09:06 PM (Total replies: 90)

Can I sleep on your couch? I'll recycle any beer cans I leave lying around.

Halo CE General Discussion » I am looking for a tutorial... Jan 16, 2014 08:54 PM (Total replies: 3)

Yayap's tutorial shows how to work with GMax, and it includes materials setup.

Halo CE Technical / Map Design » a script scenery spawner with markers? Jan 16, 2014 03:43 AM (Total replies: 14)

idk, but if that doesn't work, tool could merge a scenario saved by guerilla from a scenario.txt export of said markers with a maxscript.

I don't know much about devmode, sorry, but maybe attaching player 0 to an animated scenery would work. If this could be done, perhaps it could be done with an ai too. An AI's look-speed and such might provide a smoother camera control.
Edited by bobbysoon on Jan 16, 2014 at 02:05 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Old Mappers Jan 14, 2014 07:17 AM (Total replies: 35)

I qualify, right? Nearly seven years now. I'm yet to get a life.
I still play multiplayer, but haven't gotten around to replacing my retail package since I lost it a couple years ago, so my server options are a little limited, and it didn't seem I was missing much in the custom maps hosted, but then I gave bigass a shot and found it interesting. So I regained some interest in CE recently and will probably continue to pay moderate attention to these forums for another month or two.
I've gotten familiar with 3ds and maxscript, and don't mind helping with them or whipping up a quick script. For example, a simple maxscript command to transfer edge selection to vert selection, for a selected editable mesh, would be $.selectedVerts=meshop.getVertsUsingEdge $ $.selectedEdges. Replace meshop with polyop for editable poly. That transfer function returns a bitarray, which can AND/OR/XOR with other bitarrays for more complex things like getting verts that aren't on open edges, or getting edges or verts belonging only to a set of faces.
Most things done with 3ds's UI can be scripted. This goes for gmax, too. Simple one-liners like the one above can be entered in the mini-listener, the text box in max's lower left corner.

Align & link the camera to the node. I think it's x+ which is forward, so rotate the camera 90 degrees in whichever direction to have it facing x+.
Animate the node, not the camera. Hide the camera when you export the node's animation.
I think 3ds's Path constraint might be usefull to you, as well as it's curve editor. Maybe also the lookat constraint. With constraints, you collapse transforms before exporting to get 'rendered' keyframes (motion panel, trajectories button)
If all you see out of the camera is the node's color, turn on the node's backface culling in it's properties.
Edited by bobbysoon on Jan 14, 2014 at 02:01 AM

Something arcade like. Eg, knock each other over the edge to score.

I like the vertical idea. Reminds me of Contra.
CTF from one ridge to another. Stepped slopes. Down to the bottom and up the other side, and back. Deep crevace in between for death plummets. Pushing could be the weapon. Caves covered with foliage. Grunts throwing poo.

Maybe powerups, too, if a script can track each player's 'weapon level', and when a player picks up a 'powerup' weapon ('must be picked up' or whatever), swap it for the next level weapon.
Edited by bobbysoon on Jan 16, 2014 at 01:51 AM

Halo CE General Discussion » Bigass Public Beta Jan 12, 2014 08:47 PM (Total replies: 1869)

That was a verbose wishlist, but there's no call to be rude.

Halo CE General Discussion » Bigass Public Beta Jan 10, 2014 11:00 AM (Total replies: 1869)

Custom Edition isn't piracy, yet it's free, and he just said Halo MD is it's equivalent, so nope. Extinguish your torch now, please.

Time: Sat December 7, 2019 2:38 PM 329 ms.
A Halo Maps Website